Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 10th December 2012, 23:00   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai EON - Initial Ownership review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker_01 View Post
Hi all,

Just wanted to give a quick update about my ownership experience so far. As you may or may not have read earlier, I took delivery of my car in March 2012, and so far I have driven it about 6000 kms. I have been taking very good care of the car - including going in for regular wax jobs to protect the paint. I have zero major scratches on the car (touch-wood), and I'd like to think that it is in pristine condition.

Or should I say "was" in pristine condition...
Sad to read about this friend, it must have felt really bad, first car and such an experience. It was good that you stuck to your stand with the Hyundai technicians and got the work done out from them under warranty. which location do you belong to?
I guess, this is the first such case reported on the forum and hope potential buyers get wary of the same.

I have driven 4800Kms so far in one year and find the car really good. This is my first car as well and I too am quite obsessed about it.
Keep updating the thread further in terms of FE that you are getting? have you changed your engine oil as yet?

Last edited by benbsb29 : 25th March 2013 at 17:47. Reason: Edited long post quote.
mahen_narang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2012, 18:26   #137
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Hyundai EON - Initial Ownership review

Finally my car too gets the priveledge of calling itself a BHPian.
Selected the "I Drive Safe" sticker as thats the message I would like to spread and it goes with my driving style as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai EON - Initial Ownership review-i-drive-safe.jpg  

Hyundai EON - Initial Ownership review-team-bhp.jpg  

Old 9th January 2013, 16:20   #138
BHPian

Post Re: Hyundai EON - Initial Ownership review

Quote:
Hi all,

Two days ago, I drove it to the local sports club where I use the swimming pool regularly. It reached there fine, but when I started on my way back, I heard some very weird knocking noises from the front left wheel. I pulled over immediately, and after 15 minutes of looking around, I recognized the source of the problem as the front axle. I did not try to drive it further as I knew it was going to make it worse, and called a tow truck instead and headed straight for the workshop. Once there, the technicians confirmed that the left front axle has somehow shattered and was leaking gear oil.
What kind of an analysis was that by the technician? How can he say "...axle has somehow shattered..." for a car that has been in the market for more than an year since launch?

Such faulty axles (the point in the next para supports the fact that this is not a one-off incident) probably either get worn out fast or are not fit in properly to hold on in the assembly for long, and eventually get misaligned or dislocated and that's when they get shattered (because the car might still be running and all mechanical components would be operating at some speed in the assembly).

Wish Hyundai Service levels pick a cue from the fit and finish levels of their cars' interiors (crude analogy).

Quote:
The cost of the replacement assembly would be around Rs. 8000, not including the labour, which would somehow not be covered by insurance because this was not accidental damage.
Enough reason to dampen your spirits and on top of that the "never-agree-first" attitude of most service centers and most service advisors makes one feel helpless. Under normal circumstances most centers / service advisors demonstrate that they are good and helpful. It is when they witness such incidents that they turn a deaf ear. Only a few service centers really implement "customer-care" in these situations. Others simply charge money.

As for Hyundai goes, the issue list for their hatches now looks like this:
  • i10 - overpriced, few complaints of steering column rattling, FE issues
  • i20 - more complaints of steering column rattling, high-end variants priced scarily close to sedans), the rattling seems to have been addressed in the 2012 launched facelift
  • Eon - dancing gear lever and self-destructing axle
Somehow Hyundai makes great cars and leaves behind couple of big issues which become glaringly obvious as time passes. I honestly feel, the one-and-half decade old Santro was the only product from their stable that was free of hassles, value for money and most satisfying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahen_narang View Post
Hey, on the forum after a long time, have got my car serviced - 2nd free service and will post separately in detail about the experience.
@ mahen_narang - Isn't your 2nd service write-up due?

Thanks,
C_

Last edited by GTO : 10th January 2013 at 15:41. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users
Coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 19:37   #139
BHPian

Default EON - Left Axle problem!

Even I got my EON's left axle replaced today. The problem started 6 months ago when my car used to shake violently when it reached 65 km/h. The car has clocked 1900 Kilometers in one year. Initially thinking as wheel balancing problem, wheel balancing was done but the problem persisted. But during second service I insisted the service manager to find solution to this shaking it took him a week to diagnose.

After the replacement of axle there is no shaking but , the new axle is an old piece and service manager has ordered for fresh new axle which take minimum 2 weeks more to come from factory and when it comes he assured me it will be put in my car.The irony is that I faced same axle problem in my then 11 month old new A- star and the attitude shown by Maruti service center was no different to what Rocker_01 faced.

Last edited by FrozeninTime : 10th January 2013 at 19:38. Reason: To correct errors in sentences
FrozeninTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 15:45   #140
BHPian

Ladies & gentlemen,

Has any other Eon owner faced this issue too? Is this a generic issue? I was thinking of booking Eon for my wife....after reading this, am a bit scared!

Regards, Nitin

Last edited by nitinhegde : 22nd March 2013 at 15:50.
nitinhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 11:17   #141
BHPian

Exclamation Re: Hyundai EON - Initial Ownership review

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinhegde View Post
Ladies & gentlemen,

Has any other Eon owner faced this issue too? Is this a generic issue? I was thinking of booking Eon for my wife....after reading this, am a bit scared!

Regards, Nitin
Hello Nitin,
I bought my EON in November 2011 and have clocked 6500 Kms so far. I have not faced any such issue so far. I was schoked to read about the axle issue and the nighmare faced by our fellow BHPians. There are other EON owners on the forum who can highlight their views on the same.
You can take a long test drive and check the car at higher speeds to get an assurance. A test drive car will give you a good indication of the issue, if at all it exisits.
Do keep us posted on your decision to book an EON.
Old 25th March 2013, 12:53   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinhegde View Post
Ladies & gentlemen,

Regards, Nitin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
Even I got my EON's left axle replaced today. The problem started 6 months ago when my car used to shake violently when it reached 65 km/h. The car has clocked 1900 Kilometers in one year. Initially thinking as wheel balancing problem, wheel balancing was done but the problem persisted. But during second service I insisted the service manager to find solution to this shaking it took him a week to diagnose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahen_narang View Post
Hello Nitin,
I bought my EON in November 2011 and have clocked 6500 Kms so far. I have not faced any such issue so far. I was schoked to read about the axle issue and the nighmare faced by our fellow BHPians. There are other EON owners on the forum who can highlight their views on the same.
You can take a long test drive and check the car at higher speeds to get an assurance. A test drive car will give you a good indication of the issue, if at all it exisits.
Do keep us posted on your decision to book an EON.
Mine has completed 13K kms till date. No such complaints. I've tested car upto 105Km/h and it drives with perfact manners.
zalaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 13:11   #143
Senior - BHPian

Hello Mahen,

It's beenlong time since you updated the thread.

How is the car performing? Are any subsequent services done? Are you still feeling lack of power while going up on fly-overs?

Now-a days Western Express Highway is generally jammed packed in morning & evening. With rising heat in Mumbai what is the mileage figures that you are getting now? Have your mileage figures improved from what you were geting initially?

Any new modifications / additions in the car?

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 21:19   #144
BHPian

Angry Re: Hyundai EON - Initial Ownership review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Mahen,

It's beenlong time since you updated the thread.

How is the car performing? Are any subsequent services done? Are you still feeling lack of power while going up on fly-overs?

Now-a days Western Express Highway is generally jammed packed in morning & evening. With rising heat in Mumbai what is the mileage figures that you are getting now? Have your mileage figures improved from what you were geting initially?

Any new modifications / additions in the car?

Thanks,
Hi Jignesh, you are right, am back on the thread after a very long time.
The car is performing great, guess the engine is completly tuned after 6500 Kms.
Regards lack of power, well, i would say that being a learner on this car i was initially reluctant to shift to lower gears on slopes / inclines. That required pressing the accelerator a bit harder and yet feeling that the car is not pulling up. However, now that I am used to it and have become a better driver , the slopes are no issues.
You are right, the Western Express Highway stays choked during office hours in the morning and evening. With films removed and the increasing temperatures and despite using the AC most of the time, I am getting a mileage of about 17Kmpl. Perhaps I should be satisfied with it.
Haven't heard from many others on the forum about the mileage.
No modifications on the car other than the Team-BHP stickers, Love spreading the message around that "I Drive Safe".

Regards my second service:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolman
mahen_narang - Isn't your 2nd service write-up due?
Coolman apologise very much delayed response.
The second service was done in the month of October. Modi Hyundai - Goregaon.
The Oil change was done - went with simple Mineral Oil. Asked the technician which was the brand to which got a Plain reply "SHELL", no more detail.
The car was checked throughly, stayed along with the car all the while.
Had reported to the Service Manager that there were gear slips a couple of times on slopes, he tested the car inside the workshop premise and concluded that this was not possible. He said that it must be my driving problem. I accepted it and kept quite. However he said that incase the issues repeats then he shall do more through check. BTW, that problem has not occured again.

The car went for final wash, was told that battery and few other checks will be done during wash and I was told to sit in the reception.
After about 15 mins was called to check the car, here is where the Drama began, noticed that my rear windshields sunfilm was partly removed and there was a small bit hanging. On questioning, the first reaction from the cleaners was that "Aisa Hi Tha". Called the service manager, he too snubbed at the issue. The glue on the removed section could be felt s sticky so there was no reason that he could deny. Was made to wait for 20 mins and the senior supervisor arrived. His first statement was that - Films are not allowed these days so you are supposed to remove them anyways.
I got mad at him, removing the film was at my discretion and he was no one to tell that to me.
After a lot of arguments the senior manager asked me to wait for some time until another guy comes and help resolve. I wondered what is the resolution.

After 30 mins of wait, a thin shappy guy comes, inspects and tells me that the entire film will have to be removed. WHAT?
Are you guys putting up a new film for me, the reply was that they cannot as the supremem court ruling prevents them from putting any films.
This was the limit, had to raise my voice substantially to get their attention. Finally the Servicde manager told me that he shall get some labour job done on the car for free, this is the best he can do.
My rear bumper's bracket had broker earlier, he repalced that for me in quick time.
the partly hanging film saddened me, but was convinced that these people would not care about it, it was their carelessness which they did not even admit.

The senior manager tells me that the film was not stuck properly and I was simply blaming them. Well if that was so then why was I not informed immediately, why did someone tear Off a portion of the film and took a chance that I would not realise.
It was all crazy, had spent more than 2 hours in this situation. I took the bill, paid for the mineral oil and just wanted to drive Off.
Lastly realised that the i should go through the check list, there was a tick mark against Wheel Rotation, WHAT?
Asked the service manager if this was done. He said he is not aware. Surprisingly when I stared he told me, Sir, if you have any problem please get the car to service station and talk to me directly, I shall give you a free service on my gaurantee in six months, I seriously didn't know what to say, just drove away with a thought that I will never go back to this same service center Modi Hyundai - Goregaon..
Phew !!!

Last edited by Mpower : 25th March 2013 at 21:51.
mahen_narang is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2013, 16:00   #145
BHPian

Guys,

thanks for all your help. I have booked a Blue Eon for my wife, Magna+ variant at Sanjay Hyundai, Pune. The blue colour is not in stock - so, it may take another 2 weeks till I take delivery.

Regards, Nitin
nitinhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 01:56   #146

Hey guys, I'm back again with the adventures of the broken axle. I recently got my second service done from Modi Hyundai, Bhandup, as soon as my car returned, I started hearing horrific squeaking noises from the rear when going over speed bumps. A week and a couple of inspections later, I was informed that my rear axle was experiencing problems too, and needed to be replaced. I was horrified beyond belief, and instantly decided to get rid of the car. I did not want to sell it to anyone because I personally could not endanger the future driver with an accident. I wrote emails to Hyundai Motors India Limited and Hyundai HQ in Korea, intending for them to recall my car for a full refund...

Long story short, my car is back with Hyundai, and they gave me 2.7L for it, which they said was fair as it was the current IDV of the vehicle. At the time, I accepted whatever they gave me, but now I intend to pursue this matter further in consumer court - I want to be compensated for the depreciation in IDV, as well as the hassles Hyundai put me through all of last year.

In the meantime, I've booked an Silky Silver Alto K10 VXi, which I know will be a lot more reliable than my old Eon.

P.S: I'll consult my documents and put up the engine and chassis number of my Eon, and I would request anyone in the market for a used car to not buy any Hyundai from that series. And honestly, from the absolutely appalling experienced I've been through with my Eon, I suggest perspective buyers to look elsewhere - I learnt the lesson too late, and it cost me quite a bit.
rocker_01 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 15:58   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys, I'm back again with the adventures of the broken axle. I recently got my second service done from Modi Hyundai, Bhandup, as soon as my car returned, I started hearing horrific squeaking noises from the rear when going over speed bumps. A week and a couple of inspections later, I was informed that my rear axle was experiencing problems too, and needed to be replaced. I was horrified beyond belief, and instantly decided to get rid of the car. I did not want to sell it to anyone because I personally could not endanger the future driver with an accident. I wrote emails to Hyundai Motors India Limited and Hyundai HQ in Korea, intending for them to recall my car for a full refund...

Long story short, my car is back with Hyundai, and they gave me 2.7L for it, which they said was fair as it was the current IDV of the vehicle. At the time, I accepted whatever they gave me, but now I intend to pursue this matter further in consumer court - I want to be compensated for the depreciation in IDV, as well as the hassles Hyundai put me through all of last year.

In the meantime, I've booked an Silky Silver Alto K10 VXi, which I know will be a lot more reliable than my old Eon.

P.S: I'll consult my documents and put up the engine and chassis number of my Eon, and I would request anyone in the market for a used car to not buy any Hyundai from that series. And honestly, from the absolutely appalling experienced I've been through with my Eon, I suggest perspective buyers to look elsewhere - I learnt the lesson too late, and it cost me quite a bit.
Oh my god. Unable to come up with any other reaction to your story! At the same time, I'd say its good on hyundai's part to return the IDV to you in exchange for the car. Not many would do that either so soon.

You can of course seek compensation. Yet, the 2.7L figure is not all BAD considering you would probably have not even got that much if you wanted to sell the car on your own.

I'm not at all trying to defend Hyundai (I own a Tata and that means all others are worse in my eyes . I know thats a stupid remark.) but at the end of the day - car is a machine and machines...break.

If they offered to change your EON's rear axle as well for free under warranty that would probably be their defense - and pretty solid. Nobody can give a real guarantee of a machine that is mass produced. Lemons always turn out once in a few thousands.

On the other hand - great buy @Alto K10. Thats a proven platform with an astonishing power/weight ratio! You will definitely enjoy it a lot. Wish you happy miles with the pocket rocket! And waiting for your separate thread for it!

@mahen_narang
Hows the EON doing? You must be getting ready for the monsoons yeah? How do the headlights perform in rains / on wet roads at night? is the throw powerful enough for a safe highway ride?
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2013, 20:27   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Oh my god. Unable to come up with any other reaction to your story!
=====
How do the headlights perform in rains / on wet roads at night? is the throw powerful enough for a safe highway ride?
Thanks for the kind words, Reinhard. I do want to say that I paid almost 4L as on-road price for my car and I had it for a grand total of 14 months. Also, the return offer they gave me was only after I repeated threatened legal action. I wrote a formal letter of complaint to Hyundai Korea, which seems to have done the trick.

I wish all the luck to owners of the Eon. I'm happy to help if anybody has any questions regarding the car or the service routine I used to go through with mine.

Looking forward to owning the K10 now!
rocker_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 00:29   #149
BHPian

Quote:

This post is such an eye opener for prospective customers. Rear Axle giving up in such a short time shows that Hyundai are using new customers as guinea pigs. I mean i could at-least understand if it was happening after 50-60k Km but axle giving up in such a short span of time is simple unacceptable.
needforspeed88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 15:22   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
This post is such an eye opener for prospective customers. Rear Axle giving up in such a short time shows that Hyundai are using new customers as guinea pigs. I mean i could at-least understand if it was happening after 50-60k Km but axle giving up in such a short span of time is simple unacceptable.
Amen.

Needforspeed, did you happen to catch my other posts from a few months ago? My front axle had to be changed too, and then when I heard about the rear axle too, I could never have kept the car with myself.

By the way, I just got a call from Hyundai requesting me to give a 10/10 rating for customer satisfaction! Can you imagine that? I started laughing when I heard it!
rocker_01 is offline   Reply With Quote