Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 7th March 2012, 11:35   #91

Default Re: Hyundai EON - Initial Ownership review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahen_narang View Post
Congrats rocker_01 on your new car. i have a EON magna myself and i bought it from Modi Hyundai.
Do you know what is the difference between the old Magna and the new Magna+, please update?

The car is really good and in my four months of ownership i have had no issues at all with the car. looking forward to hear from you about your first few drives and ownership experience.
Drive Safe.
AFAIK, they used to have two sub-models of the Magna - the original Magna and the Magna (O); the latter was factory-fitted with the stereo system. The price difference between both those models was ~15k.
The new Magna+ is nothing but the old Magna (O) with the same price, and the original Magna has been discontinued.
rocker_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 20:34   #92
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: Hyundai EON - Initial Ownership review

Hello,Another update on the FE from my side. After about 208 Km i got another cutoff level fuel injected in the car. With 208Km since the last cutoff and with 14 litres going in the car the FE works out to be 14.85 KMPL. that is marginally better than my previous update of 14.5 KMPL.

Well, the reason why i went to get the fuel was that i was going to take my EON through the Khopoli - Lonavala ghats and hence wanted a full tank.

The car did well on the steep Khopoli to Lonavala ghat section, i had driven via the NH4 route instead of the Expressway (had some work there in Khopoli). while on steep slopes a gear down shift was essential to gain more power. The steering control was good and the car was in good control over the road. Had no issues what so ever. Yes, with the 800CC one does feel the lack of power but then this usage was not the final purpose of the car.

On my return from Lonavala took the expressway and the car was stable even at 120KMPH. Did not dare beyond that. The steering is light at that speed and hence one has to be concious of the same. No issues otherwise.

I had to get some office material from Lonavala, the supplier doubted if the small car will be able to fit the same in the boot. Loved his reaction when he saw the boot space. So, it was the first time that i used the boot space to full potential.

Am itching to go to the petrol pump and get another cut-off check done. so will get a good idea of the cars performance on highway. expecting a better FE. Will update soon, right now in Bangalore and away from home so need to wait for a week more.
mahen_narang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2012, 09:16   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Am itching to go to the petrol pump and get another cut-off check done. so will get a good idea of the cars performance on highway. expecting a better FE. Will update soon, right now in Bangalore and away from home so need to wait for a week more.
Please do another tank up and update the highway FE of Eon. It would be very useful for potential buyers.

My i10 1.1 gives 18+ on the highway, I'm quite sure that Eon would give 20+ on the highway.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 00:14   #94
BHPian

Smile Re: Hyundai EON - Initial Ownership review

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Please do another tank up and update the highway FE of Eon. It would be very useful for potential buyers.

My i10 1.1 gives 18+ on the highway, I'm quite sure that Eon would give 20+ on the highway.
Rohan
Hi Rohan, here is an update from me, back from Bangalore and I get my car to the fuel station, Cut Off mark indicated that 12.1 litres went in the car and the total drive to lonavala and back was of 237Km. So that works out to be 19.58KMPL.
Note that the onward journey to Lonavla was not by express way but by the NH4 via Khopoli through the steep slopes.

Quite satisfied with this FE on the highways.
Am sure as i drive more, as the engine further opens up and after 2nd servicing i shall get better FE for city drive as well.
mahen_narang is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 23:28   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Rohan, here is an update from me, back from Bangalore and I get my car to the fuel station, Cut Off mark indicated that 12.1 litres went in the car and the total drive to lonavala and back was of 237Km. So that works out to be 19.58KMPL.
Note that the onward journey to Lonavla was not by express way but by the NH4 via Khopoli through the steep slopes.

Quite satisfied with this FE on the highways.
Am sure as i drive more, as the engine further opens up and after 2nd servicing i shall get better FE for city drive as well.
That is fantastic FE for your Eon, almost similar to the 19-20 kmpl that I would regularly get on my Alto800 here in Goa.

Did you use AC while you undertook this fuel test? And was the Eon driven with considerable load? Do let us know as it would give us some idea of Eon's FE potentials.

Last edited by misquitas : 10th March 2012 at 23:29.
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 14:00   #96
BHPian

Smile Re: Hyundai EON - Initial Ownership review

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
That is fantastic FE for your Eon, almost similar to the 19-20 kmpl that I would regularly get on my Alto800 here in Goa.

Did you use AC while you undertook this fuel test? And was the Eon driven with considerable load? Do let us know as it would give us some idea of Eon's FE potentials.
Hello Misquitas, we were three friends traveling by the car and the AC was ON full time while returning back from Lonavala however while going from Khopoli to Lonavala through the steep ghats the AC was switched OFF, this was to get more power while climbing the ghats. I can say that the AC was ON for 60% of our journey.
Old 20th March 2012, 00:01   #97

I finally got the delivery of my white Eon 4 days ago, and have already driven it about 400 kms. I did a full tank as soon as I stepped out of the showroom, and for the first 200 kms (with AC on full time and me driving sedately in the streets of Mumbai) I clocked an average of ~15 kmpl (including a brief stint at the Bandra Worli Sea Link at 130kmph). Subsequently, the next tank full for the rest of the distance covered returned an astonishing figure of 16.5 kmpl (under same conditions)!!

Please bear in mind that I do drive sedately and absolutely love to go easy on things, but still, these first averages that I have recorded have blown my mind completely.
rocker_01 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 13:58   #98

I have now been driving my new Eon for over two weeks, and here's how it's going so far:
  • The initial drive from the showroom to my house was hard work - I had never driven a car with such a tiny engine, so even a slight amount of lugging and the engine would cease. Over time, I have gotten used to this, so no cause of concern
  • The clutch is a little too light for my taste and has a huge dead zone with a puny region where you begin to feel the torque at the wheel - I'm guessing I'll have to get this adjusted when I go in for the first servicing
  • I had heard two very different ways of causing a new engine to break-in, and according to me, the "drive-it-like-you-stole-it" approach works best with this car. Rev the engine once up to about 3.5-4k in the third and fourth gear and from then on, mysteriously, the car will feel a lot smoother and the engine more responsive
  • The first four gears are very short (presumably to make up for the lack of power) so do expect to work the gear-box a lot within the city. The fifth gear, however, is pretty tall and can easily handle speeds between 55-110kph, beyond which the engine starts to feel a little strained. Nonetheless, I'm pretty confident 130-140kph would be attainable if the car is pushed hard - though I'm not up to doing it, personally. Maybe Mahen would like to try :P
  • On the accessories front, I got the dealer to install Hyundai GA key-less entry system. Also, the quality of the stock speakers was pretty much unacceptable, so last weekend, I got the front speakers swapped with some Infinity paper cone speakers and got Infinity aluminium cone speakers installed in the rear. Further, a JBL GT-X424 amp sits underneath the passenger seat powering a JBL CS-1215b sub-woofer in the back. The result is not extremely loud, but the SQ is very decent.
May I also add that the OEM music system is very hard to work with. The sockets (which I found oddly similar to those on the Skoda Fabia) used do not have provisions for rear speakers, and there is not even a remote signal that is needed for the amp.

Sorry for the rather long post, but I do hope it is worth it.
rocker_01 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 11:10   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker_01 View Post
  • I had heard two very different ways of causing a new engine to break-in, and according to me, the "drive-it-like-you-stole-it" approach works best with this car. Rev the engine once up to about 3.5-4k in the third and fourth gear and from then on, mysteriously, the car will feel a lot smoother and the engine more responsive
I have this exact same observation . After first 700 odd kms which my wife drove sedately , i used the car and revved it hard for a few days . Even i feel that now the car has opened up . I am going to continue doing this for the next 300-400 odd Kms and then get an engine oil change.

Initially i felt the need to downshift from 3rd to 2nd when speeds reduce and little stalling sound coming . This has reduced post the revving up excercise , making the car a little more easier to drive.

I didnt have to do anything like this on my other cars , bur they are / were all 1.2L and above.

Once i am done with the oil change the car goes back to wife exclusively.
manishkapadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 11:50   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
[/list]I have this exact same observation . After first 700 odd kms which my wife drove sedately , i used the car and revved it hard for a few days . Even i feel that now the car has opened up . I am going to continue doing this for the next 300-400 odd Kms and then get an engine oil change.

Initially i felt the need to downshift from 3rd to 2nd when speeds reduce and little stalling sound coming . This has reduced post the revving up excercise , making the car a little more easier to drive.

I didnt have to do anything like this on my other cars , bur they are / were all 1.2L and above.

Once i am done with the oil change the car goes back to wife exclusively.
Then it's not just me - I was beginning to think I was losing it, driving a miniscule engine! Though one thing we should remember is that the car may need to get it's initial oil change earlier than expected if people like you and me rev it up. Something tells me that Hyundai probably wouldn't have given fully synthetic oil with this car (not sure about this), further necessitating an early oil change.
rocker_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 19:53   #101
BHPian

Red face Re: Hyundai EON - Initial Ownership review

Hello friends,
My job brings me to Dehradun and boy i am so surprised to see the number of EONs plying here. in one day today i must have seen more EONs than the sum total i have seen in mumbai so far. great to see this.
ManishKapadia and Rocker_01, you two talk about engine oil change, please let me know why do you think about it. i have rolled for about 1350Kms so far and find the car pretty smooth. i still have 7 months to go before the 2nd free service in which change of engine oil is recommended hence your opinion matters.
Further have you two taken the extended warranty on the car?
Old 3rd April 2012, 11:29   #102
BHPian

I have purchased extended warranty @ Rs 4110 ( 2 years standard + 2 years extended ) . I think you already have 2 + 1 .

Dealer gave a warranty certificate on hyundai letterhead.

Oil change earlier you can do only if you have ripped the engine , not otherwise. As said above i am finding the car easier to drive and opening up well after high revving it . Under normal case city driving short distances ,we dont exceed 2.5k RPM very often .

I noticed the reduced need to downshift from 3rd to 2nd after this excercise . But when you rip engine in higher rpm tiny little metal pieces need to be flushed out . I do not want to wait for 1 year to do this.

Engine oil change is not expensive anyway . So will do it .
Also i do not want to replace my cars every 3-5 years . My cars are kept and cared for longer time .
Old 3rd April 2012, 16:16   #103
BHPian

Hey mahesh, my mamaji recently bought a Delite+ . I drove the car day before yesterday. Its a nice car with good interiors but the gear shift was very spongy. And it vibrates a lot too. Be it 20Kmph or 100Kmph, the gear knob was vibrating a lot. Is it normal???
Pancham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2012, 11:27   #104
BHPian

Gear vibration is a characteristic of 3 cylinder engine . Though it smoothens a bit after about 1000 odd kms , you will still have to live with it .
You feel it more at idle and lesser while driving.

The Gear shift is ok . My earlier Indica (2002 V2 ) had much worst gear shift. Shift isnt going to improve much if at all with time . If pickup , Gear Shift and Rear space of Eon was any better than what it is right now it would be sold as the i10

It cant get any better than this at 3 Lacs . Isnt it.
Old 4th April 2012, 18:33   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Its a nice car with good interiors but the gear shift was very spongy. And it vibrates a lot too. Be it 20Kmph or 100Kmph, the gear knob was vibrating a lot. Is it normal???
Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
Gear vibration is a characteristic of 3 cylinder engine . Though it smoothens a bit after about 1000 odd kms , you will still have to live with it. You feel it more at idle and lesser while driving.

The Gear shift is ok . My earlier Indica (2002 V2 ) had much worst gear shift. Shift isnt going to improve much if at all with time . If pickup , Gear Shift and Rear space of Eon was any better than what it is right now it would be sold as the i10
As long as it does not pose any mechanical threat, I don't think it is a major problem or a deal breaker if the gear shift vibrates in the Eon. As long as drivers do not hold on to the gear shift while driving the car, many of them may not bother about the vibrating gear shift as they will be busy looking at the road and not at the gear shift.

To some extent, our Alto's gear shift would also vibrate a bit. It did not make any difference to me at the time.
misquitas is offline   Reply With Quote