Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 14th January 2012, 11:11   #136
BHPian

Default re: YetiBlog® - TheOne® buys a car. (VW Polo 1.2 )

As it has become a norm, hats off to your narration and flow Sam!

and a bigger "Ansehen" to The One for a feat not achieve by humans since the 1980s!

And hey, would like to know more about the HU, if you can share the details here/PM all fine. I have just brought home a Polo 1.6, and looking to replace the stone age factory HU on that car. Something with a touchscreen and all the gizmodo that I can get. So any information is all appreciated!
sids911 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2012, 12:00   #137
BHPian

Default Re: Epilogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
It's been a few months. She drives alone...

Somehow today feels like graduation day.
-----------------------------------------------------------
The End.
That was the ICING on the cake !!

This one's for Jenny - The Mumbai roads

vkaul1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 17:16   #138
BHPian

I hate to use cliches here, but, amazing narration once again!

Congratulations on the Red Polo! I love the HU unit. Touchscreen right?

The cop incident was the icing on the cake

Looking forward to many more write-ups and anecdotes.
prateekswarup is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 07:50   #139
BHPian

Awesome narration Sam, very nice to hear about your buying experience. Happy motoring.
vivekkp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 01:34   #140
Senior - BHPian

Question re: YetiBlog® - TheOne® buys a car. (VW Polo 1.2 )

Quote:
Guys, the HU is a drop in replacement for a VW Passat and/or a Skoda Superb. Even the on-board and steering controls work with it, including the aircon display and the parktronic display.
I had ordered a few from China as a test case and used one in my Skoda Superb. The other fit perfectly in the polo.
It is not a brand. OEM suppier.

Hi Sam,

Tried to send this as PM, but I was informed your PM inbox is full.

If it's alright to ask, could you share about how one can source the same particular head unit you'd sourced from China [and that's fit on your wife's polo]? If there is a weblink to purchase the same h/u, that would help. Or the details of whom to contact to get one, will do just fine too.

Also, I am assuming the head unit will support installing of an amp to power the front components and rear co-axials too.

Thanks in advance for any help. Have a good day.

Ajay Karthick
k_ajay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2012, 02:43   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Sam, Jenny...

When I started reading this thread, I had no idea I was going to be posting this:

Hey! I got one too! I got a Polo!

But mine's a lovely pale blue, and the 3M Car Car people have added an extra level of gloss to it

Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 17:29   #142
BHPian

Hey Sam,

Excellent narrative and wicked way of narrating and captivating readers imagination.

On one hand I enjoyed reading your blog thoroughly, but on the other hand, I was sad bcoz, its such a shame that our Police persons have become the butt of jokes due to their antics. I personally know many Police people who are still honest and dedicated towards their duties even with all the muck flying around their image.

just my 2 cents.
arunu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 17:20   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Hi Sam,

Tried to send this as PM, but I was informed your PM inbox is full.
Yes I'm sorry, I try to clean up but it's a busy box. Please email me, my first name @team-bhp.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
If it's alright to ask, could you share about how one can source the same particular head unit you'd sourced from China [and that's fit on your wife's polo]? If there is a weblink to purchase the same h/u, that would help. Or the details of whom to contact to get one, will do just fine too.
Ajay what I installed was a sample unit of a project that was being considered for India. I don't have any more information I can give you.\

However there are manufacturers such as Caska, Mega Audio etc who make replacement head units for VW?Skoda. Try looking for them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Sam, Jenny...

When I started reading this thread, I had no idea I was going to be posting this:

Hey! I got one too! I got a Polo!

But mine's a lovely pale blue, and the 3M Car Car people have added an extra level of gloss to it

HEYYY!! Congratulations on a lovely car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunu View Post
Hey Sam,

Excellent narrative and wicked way of narrating and captivating readers imagination.

On one hand I enjoyed reading your blog thoroughly, but on the other hand, I was sad bcoz, its such a shame that our Police persons have become the butt of jokes due to their antics. I personally know many Police people who are still honest and dedicated towards their duties even with all the muck flying around their image.

just my 2 cents.
Your 2 cents are very welcome. Thank you for your kind comments.

I often don't blame the police or any public service for the minor and major corruption that exists in India. When you can find persons across all social strata (public sector and private sector jobs too) that feel the need to be compensated for doing their basic duty, what do you expect?

It is a cultural thing. Nobody is really aghast by corruption. We all support it in India one way or the other. Needless to say, there are exceptions.

But still, the average Indian citizen isn't averse to saying "Sab chor hai" shrugging his shoulders and moving on with his life. What else can he/she do? Maybe somebody will post a fake swiss bank statement from an ex-prime minister on facebook and get a few "likes" or another "sab chor hai" statement from his friends, lol

In the case of the average policeman, sometimes I think the government does with them what most restaurants do with waiters. Pay them less because they know that the tips will be good.

My 2 cents too.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 23:16   #144
Senior - BHPian

Smile re: YetiBlog® - TheOne® buys a car. (VW Polo 1.2 )

Quote:
Yes I'm sorry, I try to clean up but it's a busy box. Please email me, my first name @team-bhp.com

Ajay what I installed was a sample unit of a project that was being considered for India. I don't have any more information I can give you.\

However there are manufacturers such as Caska, Mega Audio etc who make replacement head units for VW?Skoda. Try looking for them
Hey Sam,

No worries. Thanks for letting me know; I can understand now..

Well, I don't have anything specific to ask via email now [the PM was about the same head unit query]. Should I have anything else later, I'll send an email. Thank you.

ajay K
k_ajay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 17:55   #145
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In the case of the average policeman, sometimes I think the government does with them what most restaurants do with waiters. Pay them less because they know that the tips will be good.
OT : Yep Feel that the Salaries of the govt officers must be increased to atleast take this reason out of the ones given for why a police officer takes bribes. Dont mind it if at the end of it the govt officials earn more than the pvt conterparts of the same rank. Atleast then we will have competent individuals wishing to work for the Govt. in greater numbers.

At least if we don't like the service in a hotel we can opt out of tipping the waiter and making him pay for shoddy service and the waiter has lost that amount forever and hence may realize that better service gets better tips. But how does one penalize a pandu/ bobby.

Have really loved this thread like all your previous ones.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 12:25   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

2 weeks ago, I had the opportunity to drive a swift to Goa. A new swift.

Even though I don't spend that much time in the polo, it was apparent in a few hours that the seat design of the swift was not as comfortable as the polo over longer drives. My opinion of course, but this is an opinion of your larger-than-the-average-man Yeti.

I love the polo. Nevermind what I think, my wife still loves the polo deeply and loves to drive her Mumbaiflitzer all over town.

I think IMO it would be hard to find a better car currently under 6L.

Cheers,
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Have really loved this thread like all your previous ones.
Thanks
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 21:04   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Even though I don't spend that much time in the polo, it was apparent in a few hours that the seat design of the swift was not as comfortable as the polo over longer drives. My opinion of course, but this is an opinion of your larger-than-the-average-man Yeti.
Not only your opinion, Sam, ours too! The Swift seats lack support for the lower back. Both my wife and I used to stuff a cushion into that space. We have not felt the need to use any cushions in the new Polo.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 00:30   #148
BHPian

Hey Sam , I don't know since when have i been reading your blogs. You have an excellent control over the flow. The Polo is a great car, I do not like the neck support in some of the newer hatches too apart from the back support, everybody seems to be concentrating too much on the under-thigh support.
Your HU looks like a cherry on the cake.
petroheadd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 13:16   #149
BHPian

Quote:

I think IMO it would be hard to find a better car currently under 6L.
Hey Sam, are you happy with the engine performance and refinement? A 4 cylinder engine would have helped sell much more Polos, excellent car otherwise.

I'm eagerly waiting for the VW Up - same engine but lighter so quicker, same VW solid engineering, and possibly better interior space.
Cayman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2012, 16:24   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cayman360 View Post
Hey Sam, are you happy with the engine performance and refinement? A 4 cylinder engine would have helped sell much more Polos, excellent car otherwise.

I'm eagerly waiting for the VW Up - same engine but lighter so quicker, same VW solid engineering, and possibly better interior space.
My wife is extremely happy with her car. Trouble free and relaxed driving. However, her office is a mere 3kms away and she barely out some miles on the clock.

She likes the build quality and the uhmm heaviness of the car. I'm very sure she'd be unhappy with a lighter car.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote