Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th January 2012, 13:10   #226
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpusv View Post
As a regulation at OE level, it is not permitted to have side turn signal indicators on both the fender and the ORVM. Hence it will be either one of these.
Is this true, but I think quiet of the cars currently sport both
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 16:02   #227
Senior - BHPian

My neighbour has got the 2012 Toyota Fortuner in white. When he drove in last evening, i saw day-time running lights - rings like the BMW in white light. Dont know the guy so didnt ask him if it came with the car or if it was a aftermarket fitting. Suited the car though. Looking at the pictures on the first page of the thread, it seems that it was a aftermarket fitting.
Fullrevs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2012, 16:19   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Is this true, but I think quiet of the cars currently sport both
Which cars have both as OE?
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 15:50   #229
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
This is OT w.r.t Fortuner as a product but in line with Fender indicators not provided on the new TFORT.

The Pre-Facelift fortuner offered i guess Chrome blinker ORVM as an OEM Toyota accessory, so how does the rule enforce this. I do not have a TFORT but have a santro. I have made a similar comparison as per my Santro.
Well, Please indicate what happens if i buy aftermarket blinkers for the ORVM. Heck, the Santro ORVM Blinkers come as an OEM Accessory and also the stock santro comes with Fender indicators.

I have seen numerous santro with High mount stop lamp AND LED OEM Spoiler and both work.

How would the Rule prevent this as both are authorized official OEM accessories manufactured and endorsed by the Manufacturer themselves.
Yes you are breaking the rules but you are very very unlikely to be caught for it.

There are many rules that are prescribed (including those prohibiting the kind of metallic front and rear (dangerous to pedestrians) guards. But we use them and are not sued for it.

The manufacturers cannot do some things as per the rules but we as consumers do go ahead and do the same and get away with it.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 00:54   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath

This is OT w.r.t Fortuner as a product but in line with Fender indicators not provided on the new TFORT.

The Pre-Facelift fortuner offered i guess Chrome blinker ORVM as an OEM Toyota accessory, so how does the rule enforce this. I do not have a TFORT but have a santro. I have made a similar comparison as per my Santro.

. Well, Please indicate what happens if i buy aftermarket blinkers for the ORVM. Heck, the Santro ORVM Blinkers come as an OEM Accessory and also the stock santro comes with Fender indicators.

I have seen numerous santro with High mount stop lamp AND LED OEM Spoiler and both work.

How would the Rule prevent this as both are authorized official OEM accessories manufactured and endorsed by the Manufacturer themselves.

I am attaching a picture for self explanation
I mentioned OE. That means, for a vehicle that rolls out from the factory. Any fitment later on, is beyond the control of the company. Local RTO's recommend vehicles to be re-evaluated after any non OE fitment or modification. but we rarely follow them
karpusv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 16:33   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpusv View Post
Local RTO's recommend vehicles to be re-evaluated after any non OE fitment or modification. but we rarely follow them
My Santro has an OE ORVM Blinker manufactured by Hyundai, purchased from an authorized Hyundai dealer (HMP Chennai) and installed by them too. So how do we handle this scenario, when the OE itself is not to RTO Specifications ?

Same applies for Toyota Fortuner Chrome Blinker cover also.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 17:15   #232
Senior - BHPian

These aftermarket installs, even if its from an authorized dealer, need not necessarily conform to all legal rules & regulations.
raj_5004 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 17:19   #233
BHPian

Quote:
My Santro has an OE ORVM Blinker manufactured by Hyundai, purchased from an authorized Hyundai dealer (HMP Chennai) and installed by them too. So how do we handle this scenario, when the OE itself is not to RTO Specifications ?

Same applies for Toyota Fortuner Chrome Blinker cover also.
Homologation Agencies (read as ARAI, ICAT) have guidelines which state that a vehicle cannot have Turn Indicators on both the Mirror & the Fender.
However, I am really not sure what is their stand on the Geniune/Non Genuine Accessory Fitment.

In case there isn't any separate mention, then manufacturers would be more than willing to take the benefit of doubt.
karpusv is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 18:25   #234
BHPian

The Audio system looks def out of place more like an after market Job! disappointed on that one!

Thumbs up to the AT variant and not pricing it sky high! But I still feel that Fortuner is little over priced about 4 to 5 L more than it should have been!

The 4*2 variant is sure going to boost sales its a right move from Toyota! Love the equipment level on the new variant although a sunroof is missing!
Shai100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 20:27   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
These aftermarket installs, even if its from an authorized dealer, need not necessarily conform to all legal rules & regulations.
This is Shocking.

So even if we buy the OEM accessory from the authorized dealer, We could be technically and legally stopped and Questioned by RTO/Police?

If I buy the Fortuner OEM Blinker for 12K, compared to the non-geniune accessory for 3K, am I running the same risk ?

I was under the impression, OEM Accessory confirm to norms. So is that only for Quality/Warranty and the electrical connector part that we are paying double/triple the money to the Manufaturere compared to the Aftermarket local accessory store.

Thank you for pointing this out. I did not know this.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 09:08   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subodh
Enquired at the Toyota showroom yesterday for a test drive of the new fortuner but they claimed they do not have the vehicle with them for test drive neither for just plain viewing in pune. Any ideas as to when would the vehicles be available in showrooms?
DSK Toyota at Bavdhan have the new facelifted fortuner for display, but not for TD.
The SA mentioned that the TD vehicle would coming in by the 2nd week of Feb.
Monaro CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2012, 15:48   #237
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Yes you are breaking the rules but you are very very unlikely to be caught for it.

There are many rules that are prescribed (including those prohibiting the kind of metallic front and rear (dangerous to pedestrians) guards. But we use them and are not sued for it.

The manufacturers cannot do some things as per the rules but we as consumers do go ahead and do the same and get away with it.
I agree!

Even though the act of modifying a car in such a way that it is not factory anymore is illegal, it will not attract any sort of police-action. Purely because the times, they are a changin' And the civil society has learnt how to accept changes in today's generation where accessories are nearly a must these days. The law need not be applied indiscriminately, as long as discretion is taken. Remember as long as it is not a serious modification like engine-swapping or chassis modification and/or kit cars, and as long as the the RTO is correctly notified that the car has been extensively modified - to the point where not much of it is what it actually was, when it was fresh from factory - it isn't wrong.

Even such cars can get away from the prying eyes of RTO officials, if the owner drives it discreetly.

The RTO must be notified, as per rule, if a car has been extensively modified, as per my understanding.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 31st January 2012 at 09:50. Reason: typo
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 10:53   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is Shocking.

So even if we buy the OEM accessory from the authorized dealer, We could be technically and legally stopped and Questioned by RTO/Police?

If I buy the Fortuner OEM Blinker for 12K, compared to the non-geniune accessory for 3K, am I running the same risk ?

I was under the impression, OEM Accessory confirm to norms. So is that only for Quality/Warranty and the electrical connector part that we are paying double/triple the money to the Manufaturere compared to the Aftermarket local accessory store.

Thank you for pointing this out. I did not know this.
What is an OEM accessory?

Its not like the optional fitments which the premium manufacturers provide you. Such optional fitments come from the factory.

The OEM fitments we are talking about (blinkers) are fitted by the dealer when the car comes to their showroom. You are right that we pay so heavily just to protect the manufacturer's warranty.

Infact I am not really sure even the manufacturer's warranty would be intact in some cases.

Toyota sells front guards/bull bars/nudge guards. Suppose in case of a frontal collision, the airbag does not open because of the guard, will Toyota take responsibility?
Old 30th January 2012, 10:55   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Which cars have both as OE?
Indigo for one, there might be more, but now I feel most vehicles done sport duel indicators.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)-img00096201201280857.jpg  

m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2012, 11:00   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Indigo for one, there might be more, but now I feel most vehicles done sport duel indicators.
You are right.

And I am really surprised to see that.