Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 31st January 2012, 22:15   #241
BHPian

Default re: Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)

I am in a dilemma here. While I have had a virtual test drive of the Fortuner after reading all the ownership report and the test drive threads here, apparently I won't be able to get a test drive through the dealer here or at Guwahati. They don't have a test drive vehicle and have told me point blank that their current waiting period for the vehicle is 8 months and that they cannot afford to have a display vehicle or a test drive vehicle. As such, my only option is to have a dekko at the 2012 Fortuner which is arriving at the dealership in the next few days for delivery to a customer. I won't be allowed to start the vehicle and at most, I can explore the interiors and exteriors of the vehicle when it is there. However, the dealership in Shillong, which only opened on the 27th December 2011 and is a part of the same group which owns the Guwahati dealership, promises that in Shillong, they can deliver the vehicle within 45-60 days of booking.

My current drive is a 2010 Safari VX 4x4 which is being sold off. I wanted to know from the owners of the Fortuner if the drive will be any different than the Safari and is this difference is for the better or the worse. I know that we cannot compare the reliability of Toyota to that of Tata and I am not even questioning that. I only want to know if I will be making a mistake if I book a Fortuner without a test drive?
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 00:02   #242
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post

My current drive is a 2010 Safari VX 4x4 which is being sold off. I wanted to know from the owners of the Fortuner if the drive will be any different than the Safari and is this difference is for the better or the worse. I know that we cannot compare the reliability of Toyota to that of Tata and I am not even questioning that. I only want to know if I will be making a mistake if I book a Fortuner without a test drive?
The drive will be much better, in terms of power and torque. It will also be easier to drive. Though the ride will not be as good, especially for the middle seat. The body roll will be less and the handling better. Of course the reliability much better and no niggles like Tata cars. You won't make a mistake if you book it without a TD, since you are used to a larger vehicle. Had it been someone upgrading from a car I would have suggested they manage somehow or the other to TD but for you it should be fine.

Do note the ride will be a big stepdown.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 00:26   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The drive will be much better, in terms of power and torque. It will also be easier to drive. Though the ride will not be as good, especially for the middle seat. The body roll will be less and the handling better. Of course the reliability much better and no niggles like Tata cars. You won't make a mistake if you book it without a TD, since you are used to a larger vehicle. Had it been someone upgrading from a car I would have suggested they manage somehow or the other to TD but for you it should be fine.

Do note the ride will be a big stepdown.
Thank you. I think i will take the plunge. However, just one more question. I read in one of the onlne reviews for the Classic Fortuner that the boot has a capacity of 1000 litres but with "all the seats folded". Do they mean only the 3rd row of seats or also the middle row? I ask this as we are used to travel with a huge amount of luggage and with the Safari, this was not an issue since its boot can hold close to 987 litres without having to drop the rear seats.
Old 1st February 2012, 08:12   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I ask this as we are used to travel with a huge amount of luggage and with the Safari, this was not an issue since its boot can hold close to 987 litres without having to drop the rear seats.
Oh, I have been a live testimony of this You indeed need a vehicle with good luggage carrying capacity.

Whatever time I have spent on the Fortuner, all I can recall is pretty neat cruise-ability and that punchy engine. In comparison to the 2.2VTT of the Safari, the Aria feels sprightly as well.
No other Cars considered? I saw truck loads of Santa Fe being shipped towards Siliguri. X-Trail? Though you can't go wrong with the Fortuner.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 10:00   #245
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you. I think i will take the plunge. However, just one more question. I read in one of the onlne reviews for the Classic Fortuner that the boot has a capacity of 1000 litres but with "all the seats folded". Do they mean only the 3rd row of seats or also the middle row? I ask this as we are used to travel with a huge amount of luggage and with the Safari, this was not an issue since its boot can hold close to 987 litres without having to drop the rear seats.
Well considering the Fortuner and the Safari are of similar sizes the 1000 litres would mean only with the back row folded, since its 987 with the Safari.

You are booking the 4x4 I am assuming?
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 11:15   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Oh, I have been a live testimony of this You indeed need a vehicle with good luggage carrying capacity.

Whatever time I have spent on the Fortuner, all I can recall is pretty neat cruise-ability and that punchy engine. In comparison to the 2.2VTT of the Safari, the Aria feels sprightly as well.
No other Cars considered? I saw truck loads of Santa Fe being shipped towards Siliguri. X-Trail? Though you can't go wrong with the Fortuner.
I am not going to replace the Safari for its engine. Personally, I am happy with what it offers and is capable of. My only reason is that with the Safari you never know when the non-TML components fail. Currently, I have am running a failed ABS system. Do you recall the damaged bumper while returning to Shillong? Well, that was caused due to the failed ABS as per my SA. Cannot take any more chances. This vehicle has given me nothing but problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Well considering the Fortuner and the Safari are of similar sizes the 1000 litres would mean only with the back row folded, since its 987 with the Safari.

You are booking the 4x4 I am assuming?
Yes, I will go in for the 4x4 if at all.
Old 1st February 2012, 11:36   #247
Senior - BHPian

Underwent a very small test drive of the NEW Fortuner yesterday when I went to service my Classic Fortuner for its 2nd service. Touched and felt all the changes made first hand. I tested the 4x4 manual variant. Few observations:-

1. The centre armrest console has been turned dark grey instead of beige and so have the top plastic trims on all doors which look quite out of place and reduce the plushness of the vehicle to quite an extent. Though they match the top dashboard colour of the same dual tone dashboard however their overall effect was not pleasing to the eye.
2. The new grey finish instead of the earlier wood also have the same effect and definitely downmarket the vehicle. This was my comment which also whole heartedly agreed by the Sales Advisor accompanying me who said the same feedback have also been received by them from other prospective customers.
3. The front looks good but the Service Advisor commented that the vehicle has lost it's butch feel and distinctiveness and now looks more like the Endeavour which also has similar alloys and front end, which according to feedback received by him from other customers, is playing more of a negative role than positive.
4. The back end just sucks and is garish and does not deserve a vehicle of this cost. Especially the Wagon-R style embossed chrome plate is very downmarket.
5. The ICE is good but lacks the integrated feel of the older model. Looks a pasted up job. The reverse camera worked well but rear sonar has now been removed.
6. The steering just doesn't look premium and the silver finish makes it all the more down market.
7. Only driver seat is now powered but has NO memory. All other seat finish is same as before. Rear glass mounted antenna same as before.
8. VSC button added.
9. No changes were felt in driving and mechanicals.

Came out disappointed on a whole. I feel they have plodded the vehicle one rung below then it was earlier while increasing the cost by nearly another lac.

Last edited by dkaile : 1st February 2012 at 11:49.
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 12:56   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have am running a failed ABS system. Do you recall the damaged bumper while returning to Shillong? Well, that was caused due to the failed ABS as per my SA.
A damaged bumper resulted in failed ABS system? It appeared superficial at its very best. The only damage I could see was chipped bumper & requirement of a new fog-lamp.

I would change the Car if I could.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 13:00   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
A damaged bumper resulted in failed ABS system? It appeared superficial at its very best. The only damage I could see was chipped bumper & requirement of a new fog-lamp.

I would change the Car if I could.
The damaged bumper did not cause the ABS failure. The incident happened due to the failed ABS. Had the ABS been working, that could have been avoided. :(

I am doing my best to see if I can sell it off and get the Fortuner.
Old 1st February 2012, 13:30   #250
BHPian

@Dkaile - Very disappointing to read the above observations. I have booked 2012 model 4x4 MT recently. I had somehow managed to digest the new exteriors of 2012... and now i am given a fresh cup of interiors, the door trims inparticular that i failed to observe.

At the time of booking my dealer told me that one white classic is with them. Should i go ahead? I get lovely classic looks, good interiors, i can upgrade ICE with reverse camera etc. Is there any disadvantage in picking up 2011 model vehicle? What i loose is VSC... that i think i can live with as i do not drive very very fast.

Any inputs shall be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Technocrat : 3rd February 2012 at 01:52. Reason: Please avoid quoting a large post specially if its on same page as it inconveniences our mobile readers, thanks
Devrishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 13:42   #251
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devrishi View Post
Very disappointing to read the above observations. I have booked 2012 model 4x4 MT recently. I had somehow managed to digest the new exteriors of 2012... and now i am given a fresh cup of interiors, the door trims inparticular that i failed to observe.

At the time of booking my dealer told me that one white classic is with them. Should i go ahead? I get lovely classic looks, good interiors, i can upgrade ICE with reverse camera etc. Is there any disadvantage in picking up 2011 model vehicle? What i loose is VSC... that i think i can live with as i do not drive very very fast.

Nope i suggest you stick to the new one. The looks both on the interior and exterior will overtime grow on us. The new one will be better overall.

Trims are afterall plastic and in time you will get good quality replacement plastic bit options becoming available through the after market as this is a globally sold vehicle.
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 13:45   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Very disappointing to read the above observations. I have booked 2012 model 4x4 MT recently. I had somehow managed to digest the new exteriors of 2012... and now i am given a fresh cup of interiors, the door trims inparticular that i failed to observe.

The front end and VSC are the 2 redeeming factor of the facelift for me. I saw 5 Classic Fortuners with the Meerut dealer which was very surprising. He did not offer any discounts for them at all. Only 1 white facelifted one was available. I saw them standing side by side and back to back, so these are my observations.

Rest, usually a facelift depreciates the older version, however that may not be the case of the Fortuner. VSC looks very good on paper and is mandatory in US driving conditions. Will need to see how it makes a difference on Indian roads. So the final decision should be taken by you weighing all possibilities.

Last edited by dkaile : 1st February 2012 at 13:48.
dkaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 11:15   #253
BHPian

Thought it over & over. The VSC + 4x4 were the initial factors that i had chosen to go for 2012 facelift model. I think i should stick to it. Fortuner has high centre of gravity and VSC is a must. Rather VSC should be mandatory in all the models - it's a life saving feature.
I hope the quality of sound in ICE is better than the older version.
Devrishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 11:33   #254
BHPian

Quote:
Thought it over & over. The VSC + 4x4 were the initial factors that i had chosen to go for 2012 facelift model. I think i should stick to it. Fortuner has high centre of gravity and VSC is a must. Rather VSC should be mandatory in all the models - it's a life saving feature.
By when are you expecting delivery of your vehicle? I am looking forward to a few ownership reports for the 2012 fortuner. In the meanwhile, I am still waiting for the local dealership to call me after they receive the new fortuner to have a dekko and make up my mind. However, I am more or less confirmed in my mind to get the Fortuner but just want the wife to give the final go ahead formally as it will involve selling off the 4x4 Safari to get this one.

Last edited by SumitB : 2nd February 2012 at 11:34.
Old 2nd February 2012, 11:39   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The sound quality of the ICE is exactly the same. Only the touch interface and a modern DVD player has been added with rear camera support, which in fact is quite a boon. Only thing is it hasn't been gelled well and the silver colour ICE sticks out like a sore thumb on the dashboard.

VSC is definitely a life saver.
dkaile is offline   Reply With Quote