Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 27th February 2012, 12:41   #286
BHPian

Default re: Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)

I just got a call from the dealership that a White Fortuner Automatic has been allotted to me and I should be getting delivery in the next few weeks.

The dealer did not have the VIN number, so I don't really know what to make of "Sir, your vehicle has been allotted and will arrive soon".

I would need inputs from the gurus on the following.

1. What kind of exterior paint protection package should I go for? and from where? 3M or private detailers.

2. What are some must have accessories and that "don't buy, it is useless" accessories for TFort.

3. Do Toyota's dealers permit us to do PDI in their yards? If yes, Is there any specific PDI instruction apart from our famed TBHP PDI checklist.

4. @redrage, I know this is a new model and we can't expect freebies. But did Nandi offer anything complimentary with the vehicle?
BlackRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 13:02   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
I just got a call from the dealership that a White Fortuner Automatic has been allotted to me and I should be getting delivery in the next few weeks.

The dealer did not have the VIN number, so I don't really know what to make of "Sir, your vehicle has been allotted and will arrive soon".
With respect to Toyota and from my own experience the dealership guys have no clue of the VIN No/Chassis no until the vehicle lands in their yard. After three weeks of haggling i was able to get this only from the vehicle after arriving in the yard. The dealers have a history of charging premium on certain customers awaiting quick deliveries to avoid this i am told Toyota withholds the information till the vehicle reaches the dealer. In case of my purchase of Hyundai cars i used to get the VIN no when the vehicle finished assembly in the plant.

Quote:
2. What are some must have accessories and that "don't buy, it is useless" accessories for TFort.
I picked up side cladding, 3M Sun film (RE 35 looks gorgeous on the white, with a greenish tinge), 3M detailing and under-body coating (they have done a pretty good job). Scuff plate illumination (looks classy), 3D Kagu mats (does not fit properly).

Quote:
4. @redrage, I know this is a new model and we can't expect freebies. But did Nandi offer anything complimentary with the vehicle?
Dint get a thing.
redrage is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 17:26   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
With respect to Toyota and from my own experience the dealership guys have no clue of the VIN No/Chassis no until the vehicle lands in their yard. After three weeks of haggling i was able to get this only from the vehicle after arriving in the yard. The dealers have a history of charging premium on certain customers awaiting quick deliveries to avoid this i am told Toyota withholds the information till the vehicle reaches the dealer. In case of my purchase of Hyundai cars i used to get the VIN no when the vehicle finished assembly in the plant.
How long does it typically take from allotment to delivery? (All my paperwork is done and car fully paid for. Only thing remaining is the Registration and insurance)

Quote:
I picked up side cladding, 3M Sun film (RE 35 looks gorgeous on the white, with a greenish tinge), 3M detailing and under-body coating (they have done a pretty good job). Scuff plate illumination (looks classy), 3D Kagu mats (does not fit properly).
Dint get a thing.
Could you post some pics of your beast with the following

1) side cladding
2) scuff plate illumination

How was the cooling in the Fortuner?
Old 27th February 2012, 23:35   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1. What kind of exterior paint protection package should I go for? and from where? 3M or private detailers.

3. Do Toyota's dealers permit us to do PDI in their yards? If yes, Is there any specific PDI instruction apart from our famed TBHP PDI checklist.

1) 3M Is branded, tried & tested. I would suggest 3M. Even though you are in Bangalore, It may not be a bad idea to invest in some under-chassis protection

2) Boot & Floor Mats are a must have. Scuff Plates and Rear Bumper step guard add protection. Fender Mirror adds a touch of class. My Personal choice is to add a Car Cover, but thats purely personal.

3) YES any dealer will and should allow PDI. If they do not, escalate to Toyota or steer clear. Not allowing PDI is a signal to smell foul. Team-BHP PDI Is binding.

Overall, please invest on a GSM Security system, which will buy you peace of mind.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 00:27   #290
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I would suggest 3M. Since you are in Bangalore, you could try "Ultimate detailerz" - the reviews are really good. And if you are going for 3M, please make sure to get it done directly from their outlet and NOT thru the dealer - will save you some money. If you want, try anti-rust coating too, will act as a sound dampener too to some extent.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 10:40   #291
BHPian

Here's quoting from a Philippines website

"The Fortuner you now see on this page is not all-new, but the big news is that the rear suspension has been upgraded to provide comfort, without sacrificing handling. It is now a four-link setup with coil springs and a lateral rod back there. Upon driving the Fortuner, the improvements are immediately obvious. You can push this SUV a little bit harder, and yet not feel any discomfort."

We in India also complained about the unsettled ride in the previous gen Fortuner.

1) Either Toyota India silently upgraded something in the suspension
2) OR they don't know what they are receiving in the SKD kit.
3) OR they are treating us badly by still using the old suspension components.

Can any of the new Fortuner owners comment if their Fortuner has the new setup as described above?

Source:
Toyota Fortuner Is Fighting Back | The Manila Bulletin Newspaper Online
Old 28th February 2012, 13:11   #292
BHPian

^^
Let me add my 2 bits to further elaborate that discussion.

Last Saturday, a few of us T-BHPian friends went and TD'd the new Fortuner.
We had tried to go for a TD in January, but the vehicle was not available with the Pune dealerships.
Sadly they only have the 4x4 as the TD vehicle and which was apparently, made available in the 2nd week of Feb.

Now my observations are as under:

Coming from owning the classic Fortuner for almost a year now, the most prominent difference that I noticed was the ride quality. The new Fortuner had better ride quality viz. a viz. comparing with my currently owned vehicle.
'Less Bumpy' was the instant effect!
I found the brakes to be more accurate too (than my car's).

I'm not sure if Toyota has refined the suspension setup &/or tweaked the brake setup. Maybe they have made a few changes and are not disclosing them openly.

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 28th February 2012 at 13:38.
Monaro CV8 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 13:53   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
^^
Let me add my 2 bits to further elaborate that discussion.

Last Saturday, a few of us T-BHPian friends went and TD'd the new Fortuner.
We had tried to go for a TD in January, but the vehicle was not available with the Pune dealerships.
Sadly they only have the 4x4 as the TD vehicle and which was apparently, made available in the 2nd week of Feb.

Coming from owning the classic Fortuner for almost a year now, the most prominent difference that I noticed was the ride quality. The new Fortuner had better ride quality viz. a viz. comparing with my currently owned vehicle.

I'm not sure if Toyota has refined the suspension setup &/or tweaked the brake setup. Maybe they have made a few changes and are not disclosing them openly.
ALthough I have not driven the fortuner much before this, on this day, it felt better that it was taking the offroad better. Toyota guys here in pune have a spacial offroad track where they take the LC and fortuner customers to test drive the vehicles for their offroad capablities. The vehicle felt very sturdy and i had a feeling of I can tackle any surface kind of feeling which i have never had before. When I test drove other SUV e.g. Safari, Yeti etc, this feeling was missing. The surge of power was also very nicely handled by the vehicle. The braking is definitely better than the earlier fortuner which is a great help in this vehicle. Unfortunately the AT was not available to TD and that is the vehicle we had originally aimed for.
subodh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 14:35   #294
BHPian

Quote:

More pictures taken from the SLR coming up.
Waiting for your pics eagerly.

Quote:
Thanks for the info redrage. I have just been told that my vehicle is getting manufactured on the 10th of March (hence no VIN available now) to be delivered to the dealer on 11th and that I will get delivery around 14th post registration. Having waited so long I am not pinning big hopes on that date, but it would be nice to see if the Toyota/Dealership are keeping upto their committed dates.

BTW, did you happen to track FE in your vehicle during the Chennai trip? If yes could you share the #? I want to compare it with classic TFort to guess if the following is true in India.

"Toyota has developed a latest “Diamond Tech” system that allows the 32-bit ECU to more precisely detect operating conditions within the injection system, improving fuel efficiency. New injectors feature a new “diamond-like” carbon coating that makes the process more efficient, as well as lengthening the life of the injectors and related combustion process components."

"The variable-geometry turbo also sees its relationship with the ECU improved, for a faster flow of more detailed information."

We probably will never get official info from Toyota Bharat .

Quote:
^^

@Monaro CV8; Nice to hear that from someone who is owning the "Classic" TFort. So looks like there are more changes than what meets the eye.
BlackRaven is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 14:56   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subodh

ALthough I have not driven the fortuner much before this, on this day, it felt better that it was taking the offroad better. Toyota guys here in pune have a spacial offroad track where they take the LC and fortuner customers to test drive the vehicles for their offroad capablities. The vehicle felt very sturdy and i had a feeling of I can tackle any surface kind of feeling which i have never had before. When I test drove other SUV e.g. Safari, Yeti etc, this feeling was missing. The surge of power was also very nicely handled by the vehicle. The braking is definitely better than the earlier fortuner which is a great help in this vehicle. Unfortunately the AT was not available to TD and that is the vehicle we had originally aimed for.
A few pics taken with dot's hand phone.
We took the car on an offroad track.
Name:  ForumRunner_20120228_145225.png
Views: 2309
Size:  316.1 KB
Name:  ForumRunner_20120228_145246.png
Views: 2352
Size:  872.1 KB

Rocks and dirt, perfect situation for a TD.
Name:  ForumRunner_20120228_145258.png
Views: 2578
Size:  769.1 KB
Name:  ForumRunner_20120228_145319.png
Views: 2588
Size:  771.7 KB

I think its the 1st time TD car pics are posted for the new fortuner.
Name:  ForumRunner_20120228_145343.png
Views: 2495
Size:  703.3 KB
Name:  ForumRunner_20120228_145424.png
Views: 2187
Size:  610.4 KB

edit: In the pics - @subodh is behind the wheel, co-driver is @swanand.inamdar. I'm sitting behind subodh & @dot is outside taking the pics.

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 28th February 2012 at 15:03.
Monaro CV8 is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 15:16   #296
BHPian

It was quite unfortunate that we were not able to click any pics while the vehicle was tackling the most notorious of obstacles like big rocks etc. I would like to test this vehicle in slush to check the actual 4x4 powers but unfortunately right now is not the best season. perhaps its best left to Monaro CV8's original Fortuner in rainy season. what say mate?
subodh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 15:19   #297
BHPian

The white color in the new Fortuner makes it look smaller or what? Or are my eyes cheating me and creating an illusion?

Also, Monaro CV8, what is the color that you own? If it is white, did you find any change in the shade when compared to your vehicle?
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 17:19   #298
Senior - BHPian

Well, for a person that doesnt own an SUV, this one was a very different feeling.

For starters, I found the ride less bumpy in the new Fort as compared to the old.
The brakes on this one are much better.
The seating though was somewhat different as compared to the older one, I found the classic Fort more spacious in terms of leg space, for the back benchers.

Oh, the HU looks absolutely horrible. More like a Chinese product, that wont last the time. Sound Quality is also quite miserable, as compared to the older one.
Even the tail lights werent to my taste. I much prefer the looks of the classic Fort.

@SumitB: Monaro's Fort is Grey in color.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 17:39   #299
BHPian

Thank you. Now who can confirm if the white in Fortuner is indeed non-metallic? As per Manujj, the white is non-metallic and as such chips off easily. I will write to Toyota and see what they say. I am stuck between Grey and White. Mind says Grey, heart says White but won't like to get the white if it chips too easily.
SumitB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2012, 18:00   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
For starters, I found the ride less bumpy in the new Fort as compared to the old.
The brakes on this one are much better.
Did this change happen after the official TD was done? Am sure our mods would have caught this change in no time had this been sorted out at that time itself. I cannot make out any comments related to this in GTO's review of this face-lifted Fortuner.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote