Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 31st March 2012, 16:04   #346
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
I'm surprised at the fuel efficiency figures mentioned here; I'm getting about 7.5km/liter in the city and 10.6km/liter on highways!
You must be pressing the throttle/ accelerating too hard. Those are surprisingly low figures.

Having said that, I do get < 11kmpl at times when I am driving fast on 4 lane highways. Over 120kmph, the FE comes down significantly -- exponentially.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 31st March 2012 at 16:08.
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 19:01   #347
BHPian

I have driven my Fortuner extensively on our roads & have done 38,000+ kms in the last 2 yrs, but have never ever seen the milage go below 10. Period.

The best milage I ever got was 12.1 kmpl, on the last tank full, but now I expect it to be around 10, since summers are here.
Worse is 10, on highways, driving fast. max I reached was about 145 kmph, then it gets scary, esp. If you need to brake.

May be you are getting lower milage due to the driving conditions ( read : traffic).
Or just get your clutch checked.
car_crazy1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 07:00   #348
BHPian

Hi bhpians i am happy to report that my fortuner automatic is giving me 10.45 kmpl tankful to tank ful method, with 50% high way and city drive respectively with 60% ac on t
bajwasingh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 23:10   #349
Senior - BHPian

I guess I have to have it checked at the service center. I'm wondering what service they performed at the 5000km service! Apparently, my vehicle has to visit the service center every week! Do you think I've been sold a lemon?

When I release the clutch the vehicle leaps forward, no matter how softly I release the clutch. The clutch pedal seems harder than Innova/corolla, is this the same with other Fortuners? I also find the Gear changing to be hard and the brake pedal makes a squeeching noise when I press the pedal. :-)

The funniest part is the vibration of the engine and the gear lever during idling!
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 23:30   #350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
..When I release the clutch the vehicle leaps forward, no matter how softly I release the clutch. The clutch pedal seems harder than Innova/corolla, is this the same with other Fortuners? I also find the Gear changing to be hard and the brake pedal makes a squeeching noise when I press the pedal. :-)

The funniest part is the vibration of the engine and the gear lever during idling!
May be that is something to do with the clutch play? I suggest you give the car to service centre, get them to TD your car and acknowledge the issues & also TD some other car to have a comparo.

Have you faced any other issues with the car. In-fact I guess yours is the first report on any issues of this kind on a Fortuner. Could you tell us whether yours is a face-lifted Fortuner?
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 02:55   #351
BHPian

Nitin has the old T fort and now up for sale on classifieds .
Fortuner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 08:55   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
May be that is something to do with the clutch play? I suggest you give the car to service centre, get them to TD your car and acknowledge the issues & also TD some other car to have a comparo.

Have you faced any other issues with the car. In-fact I guess yours is the first report on any issues of this kind on a Fortuner. Could you tell us whether yours is a face-lifted Fortuner?
I have consulted with the service center team and they replied that's the way the car is. The engine shakes and the gear lever vibrates because this is a diesel engine and that too a four wheel drive! I wish I could show them a perkins forklift - they'd be surprised to death on how silent and vibration free the vehicle is despite being a diesel engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
Nitin has the old T fort and now up for sale on classifieds .
I did have a plan to sell it and get an X1, however the resale value offered is abit less, so thought of waiting a while. The legacy fortuner and the facelifted are the same technically. Its just the cosmetic feature addition which makes the difference. No change with the engine or transmission.

Last edited by nitinbose : 2nd April 2012 at 08:56.
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:27   #353
Senior - BHPian

The vibration of the gear stick is normal. It has been mentioned in all Fortuner reviews during the last 2 years. Personally speaking, it doesn't matter at all to me.

Clutch play is fine. My frame of reference is SX4, and obviously the brakes and clutch have to be pressed differently, but one gets used to it and then it becomes 'normal'.

Brake squealing: I am getting a minor "khant' sound when braking in reverse gear. Will need to get that checked. No issues with braking though.
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 14:40   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
The vibration of the gear stick is normal. It has been mentioned in all Fortuner reviews during the last 2 years. Personally speaking, it doesn't matter at all to me.

Clutch play is fine. My frame of reference is SX4, and obviously the brakes and clutch have to be pressed differently, but one gets used to it and then it becomes 'normal'.

Brake squealing: I am getting a minor "khant' sound when braking in reverse gear. Will need to get that checked. No issues with braking though.
Hi Nilanjanray,

You say the vibration of the gear stick is normal because that's what everyone in India is used to seeing with diesel engine. However, this not entirely the case. If the engine is perfectly tuned and mounted, there wont be any vibrations, though with diesel engines, you may feel the vibration when you hold the stick, but never moves back and forth.

Also, the engine jerking when you press the throttle is also a result of poor workmanship. What I meant to say is this is not expected of a 26L car!

In India, as long as the companies have expected sales, they'd somehow fix things and push to the market, never worrying about quality.

I had my brake performance by adjusting the ply by 1mm, though the engineers were very reluctant to do so.

By the way, have you installed any piggyback ECUs?

regards,

Nitin
Old 2nd April 2012, 15:03   #355
Senior - BHPian

Cross posting a couple of images with interesting datapoints for those interested in servicing costs. Clicked when I was at the Nandi ASC last time. Costs look pretty decent.

Fortuner
Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)-20120322-18.50.23.jpg

Toyota vehicles
Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)-20120322-18.51.03.jpg

@ Nitin: no piggyback ECUs or performance mods.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 2nd April 2012 at 15:11.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 17:24   #356
BHPian

Did a (very) short test drive of the Fortuner. Am keen to have it as the next car for our family since I'd like to seat 7 while in the city. Went over to Toyota on Link Road, Malad. Here are my impressions

Dealership
* Sales person didnt seem very eager to sell when I told her I was still researching vehicles
* Basically with the attitude I was getting, I would definitely not buy from them. This is in stark contrast to Linkway Honda, Chandivali where I felt like they wanted me to buy every car they make - from the Brio to the Accord and CRV
* No manual available for test drive (2WD or 4WD) Only auto available
* Sales person was least interested in demonstration of the features/ functions in the car.

Vehicle
* Sitting in the drivers seat gave me an all new experiece. It felt like I was in a bus and I could say that the view from here would be great. Loved it
* The car didnt feel as massive from the inside as it did from the outside. It felt like the bulk was manageable
* Liked the space inside. Perfect fit for my needs
The test drive - what i liked

* I felt the engine noise was well contained and the cabin felt quiet overall
* The car was effortless to drive. Not ultra- responsive and you can feel the gear search at times. Acceleration felt on the slower side (I drive the iVtec City and this in comparison didnt have any zip) but i guess this could be down to the auto box and a manual would be much quicker
* Now that i was driving, it was easy to judge the cars dimensions. Reverse camera was useful
* The view was commanding. Felt like I was driving sitting on the roof of my City

The test drive - what i didnt like
* The ride wasnt really great. There was a potholed section close to the showroom and I drove through it but it didnt seem to soak up as much of the bumps as I'd hoped. My dad (sitting in the middle row) complained that it didnt feel smooth and that he felt the car sway through the bumps
* Many features were missing - parking sensors, GPS, autobox was only 4 speed, etc
* The cabin just didnt feel like a car that costs 24 lac. No offense to existing owners, this is just my opinion.
* I prefered the pre-facelift exterior looks. This combination of looks and interiors destroyed the little enthusiasm i'd built up about the car in my dad.

At the end, i guess my question is - if I want a good looking car, which can seat 7 comfortably, cruise on the highway with 5 on board and tackle bad roads, am I looking at the wrong car? Also, if I'm never going to off road with this, is it worth the price?

Last edited by vinod332002 : 2nd April 2012 at 17:27.
vinod332002 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 19:13   #357
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod332002 View Post
Dealership
* Sales person didnt seem very eager to sell when I told her I was still researching vehicles - almost all Toyota dealers would be the same and you cannot compare them to the Honda guys

Vehicle
* Sitting in the drivers seat gave me an all new experiece. It felt like I was in a bus and I could say that the view from here would be great. * The view was commanding. Felt like I was driving sitting on the roof of my City - - This is what you feel when you graduate from a Sedan to a SUV - on top of the world

The test drive - what i didnt like
At the cost it has it commands, the Fortuner does not give a premium feel except for the exceptional external looks, the interiors are bland and cheap looking, and devoid of any gizmos

At the end, i guess my question is - if I want a good looking car, which can seat 7 comfortably, cruise on the highway with 5 on board and tackle bad roads, am I looking at the wrong car? Also, if I'm never going to off road with this, is it worth the price?
If you want a reliable 7 seater you can look at the Innova which would fit your needs as you don't intend to offroad. All the other 7 seaters in the sub 25 lacs range have just for show third row (including the Scorpio, Safari, XUV & Fortuner) which are at best meant for kids.

Innova, if you like the looks and willing to forget the cab image is the best and most reliable as a 7 seater which is currently available.

Quote:
You say the vibration of the gear stick is normal because that's what everyone in India is used to seeing with diesel engine. However, this not entirely the case. If the engine is perfectly tuned and mounted, there wont be any vibrations, though with diesel engines, you may feel the vibration when you hold the stick, but never moves back and forth.

By the way, have you installed any piggyback ECUs?
I guess we all get used to small niggles, you should see the gear stick dance in 3rd gear in a Scorpio & M&M says there is no option to resolve it.

And what is a piggyback ECU

Last edited by m_upreti : 2nd April 2012 at 19:19.
m_upreti is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2012, 22:06   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
I guess we all get used to small niggles, you should see the gear stick dance in 3rd gear in a Scorpio & M&M says there is no option to resolve it.F

And what is a piggyback ECU

Why should Indians compromise? Are Indians any inferior? India and Indians are on their way to become the world leaders in many areas.

Its not fair that we've got to work twice as hard to earn half what we deserve yet buy something at double the cost with half the quality!

If M&M vehicles have such issues, atleast we can say they're made cost effective, but a car like fortuner is almost three times the cost, so we would expect certain level of precision! Else why buy a Fortuner?

piggyback ECUs are addon devices that work with the existing ECU to boost the performance of the vehicles, such as petes, racedynamics etc.

Last edited by nitinbose : 2nd April 2012 at 22:07.
nitinbose is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 10:05   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If M&M vehicles have such issues, atleast we can say they're made cost effective, but a car like fortuner is almost three times the cost, so we would expect certain level of precision! Else why buy a Fortuner?
Absolutely right, however we seem to go more on the external hulk rather than the finess of the vehicle specially in case of SUV's, the other Toyota cars do not seem have such issues. But since Fortuner is a best seller with people queuing up to buy the company is dishing out a less than desired product
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2012, 11:34   #360
Senior - BHPian

Toyota is not dishing out a less than desirable product. The Fortuner is a great product, and has tough, utilitarian genes right from the beginning. Its sibling the Hilux is rough used all across the world, and has gone to both the poles.

The problem is that Toyota is dishing out a good product at a high price, and getting away with it due to Indian market conditions and dynamics. And due to its price, it is falling in the luxury segment. And people - most of whom buy the Fortuner for 'mallroading' - have different expectations for luxury segment vehicles.
nilanjanray is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote