Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 9th April 2012, 10:18   #391
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)

The Superstreet seems to be for on road and occasional track use. Will it also improve offroading prowess like OME or Ironman suspension setups do?
nilanjanray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 11:47   #392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedarwalke View Post
Done 3m films cr70 on all glasses.
Bought 3dmats ,will be installing focal comps,solid4 amp and infinity basslink.
Looks lovely, the sun gives the picture a retro look and BTW great number
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 20:47   #393
BHPian

Well i have returned from long trip from ahemdabad.
Here is a short review as i have promised On DieselTronics Tuning box in Fortuner

1. Informant Sytem of FE in toyota Fortuner is totally wrong
As i drove Totally 550kms on P2 mode , Informant Sys showed 14.5 to 15.2kmpl average.Was actually 12.5kmpl at Full Re-tank
2.So When i put E (Economy) mode on : informant display was 11kmpl so switched to S (stock) ,Which showed 12.5 kmpl in First phase of driving (around in 50kms)
3 .so I went for P1 ,which displayed between 13-14 kmpls (Around 50kms)
5.So again went for P2 for 400kms and that showed between 14.5-15.2kmpls
thats why i totally drove in P2 mode ( i was thinking i was getting very good FE )with average Display of 14.5 kmpl ,was actually 12.5kmpl

But,But P2 and P1 are very much fun on Highways..I wont like Stock mode ever again.Another Fortuner disapeared on Nation ExpressWay 1 When i floored from 100 to 160 kmh..it was like a Rocket Launcher.
neo_trace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 21:52   #394
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_trace View Post
Here is a short review as i have promised On DieselTronics Tuning box in Fortuner...

But,But P2 and P1 are very much fun on Highways..I wont like Stock mode ever again.Another Fortuner disapeared on Nation ExpressWay 1 When i floored from 100 to 160 kmh..it was like a Rocket Launcher.
Thanks for sharing. Some questions from me

1. What were the speeds you maintained during the drive?
2. Was there any smoke when you accelerated?
3. What was the top speed you achieved with this?
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 22:00   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_trace
Here is a short review as i have promised On DieselTronics Tuning box in Fortuner

1. Informant Sytem of FE in toyota Fortuner is totally wrong
As i drove Totally 550kms on P2 mode , Informant Sys showed 14.5 to 15.2kmpl average.Was actually 12.5kmpl at Full Re-tank
2.So When i put E (Economy) mode on : informant display was 11kmpl so switched to S (stock) ,Which showed 12.5 kmpl in First phase of driving (around in 50kms)
3 .so I went for P1 ,which displayed between 13-14 kmpls (Around 50kms)
5.So again went for P2 for 400kms and that showed between 14.5-15.2kmpls
thats why i totally drove in P2 mode ( i was thinking i was getting very good FE )with average Display of 14.5 kmpl ,was actually 12.5kmpl

Have heard and seen that TFort displayed fuel efficiency are near to actual, as seen from your report when you moved to stock it was showing near identical figure(based on your figures), does this mean when you change the setting, the ECU was calculating something that was not correct because of tuning box?

-Pramod
pramods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 06:47   #396
BHPian

Hi bhpians i agree with pramods about the fuel efficency display of the fortuner.my fortuner at display showed 10.3 kmpl,whilst it gave me 10.45kmpl tank ful method which is nearly identical to that of the display.
bajwasingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2012, 21:42   #397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Thanks for sharing. Some questions from me

1. What were the speeds you maintained during the drive?
2. Was there any smoke when you accelerated?
3. What was the top speed you achieved with this?
1. 100 - 120 kmh on Highway . 120-140 on Expressway.
2. Not Found any smoke.
3. Not Tried actually because Its new, only done 1700kms. but went for trial a sec, 160kmh was easily achieved.

@pramods ....
I dont know how its beeing calculated FE on display .but everytime i went for Stock to P2..FE raised from 12.5 to 14.5 and upto 15.2
and everytime i went from P2 to Stock or E Fe drastically lowerd to even 11 (E) ,12.5(S)
But at end of Tank refill...i calculated that 550km drunk 43.8 litres..with 70kms city drive
A week before stock Fortuner was showing 9.5km FE in surat city driving (in summer 46*) Now in P2 shows 12.7 In city
I dont know WHY??

Last edited by neo_trace : 11th April 2012 at 21:51.
neo_trace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2012, 12:43   #398
BHPian

Post re: Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_trace View Post

I dont know WHY??
Do not get alarmed at the discrepancies you observe in the FE readings of the MID.
Since you have installed a tuning box, it is but natural for the ECU to flash the data which is not correct.

You can read a whole lot of stuff about Tuning Boxes and how they work on this forum.

The Fuel pump in your Fortuner is now receiving signals from the Tuning Chip rather than the ECU. Hence in a way, the ECU is getting by-passed (or tricked) into collecting/ relaying appropriate data.
This is an innate shortcoming of using a tuning box, for most modded cars.

In such cases, best bet is to rely on Tank-full to Tank-full based FE figures.

(My experience comes from the use a Tuning Box for my Octy )
Monaro CV8 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 20:47   #399
BHPian

Just booked a Fortuner from Radha krishna Toyota Hyderabad.
The cost on road is 25,32,941 for 4x2 Manual.

The Break up is
21,10,809 Ex-showroom
3,02,640 Road tax, registration
81,782 Zero Dep Insurance
35,000 accessories
2,700 Toyota car care smiles (1500km) oil and other free service.

The dealer is not ready to let us get our own insurance. Tata Aig quoted 48,000 zero dep. Is it the same case with other dealers around. From 19lac to 21 lacs for ex-showroom prices in few months too much.
easterncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 21:24   #400
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncar View Post
Just booked a Fortuner from Radha krishna Toyota Hyderabad. ...
81,782 Zero Dep Insurance...
The dealer is not ready to let us get our own insurance...
81K for insurance is way too steep I believe. Ask the dealer to match the price [or add a little extra] to the quotes that you get from vendors or shoot a mail to Toyota expressing your displeasure about dealer attitude. No dealers can force you to buy insurance from them.

Edit:: I suggest you get quotes from Bajaj Allianz & Royal Sundaram too just for a comparison sake. Add these quotes in your mail to Toyota and ask them to either match it or let you do insurance on your own. Knowing that Toyota is quite customer centric, 99% it will work out in your favour.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 19th April 2012 at 21:27. Reason: Adding "Edit" portion
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 21:29   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncar
The dealer is not ready to let us get our own insurance. Tata Aig quoted 48,000 zero dep. Is it the same case with other dealers around. From 19lac to 21 lacs for ex-showroom prices in few months too much.
81K for insurance is way too much. Even my C's insurance is not 81k for 0 depreciation policy. Inform Toyota ASAP regarding dealer forcing you to get insurance from them only. They will take necessary actions to dealer right away.
Nitrous Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 21:37   #402

Even We have picked a 4x2 AT fortuner and was quoted the same 81k for insurance.

However i got the top most plan from tata aig for about 53k approximately.

The dealer budged only when I became absolutely straight an sharp with my statements. THEY CANNOT FORCE ANYONE TO TAKE THEIR POLICY. If u run into problems contact toyota VOC helpline.

Hope this helps. Hope you are not pasted this 81k policy!
sanchit.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 22:05   #403
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchit.j View Post
Even We have picked a 4x2 AT fortuner and was quoted the same 81k for insurance.

However i got the top most plan from tata aig for about 53k approximately.

The dealer budged only when I became absolutely straight an sharp with my statements. THEY CANNOT FORCE ANYONE TO TAKE THEIR POLICY. If u run into problems contact toyota VOC helpline.

Hope this helps. Hope you are not pasted this 81k policy!
Yes, absolutely they cannot force you take insurance from them.

Suppose you take insurance from them by paying 81K, not way the insurance premium payment will be 81K.

Shoot a mail to Toyota and see how the dealers will go out of the way to please you. By escalating squeeze some freebies from the dealer as well
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 23:03   #404

From personal experiences, I say that Toyota VOC works efficiently and effectively.

Further I'd like to share my 2 cents from some research into the auto insurance business: the dealers fetch a commission ranging from anywhere between 40-60% for issuing the first year's policy. So watch out!! In fact my dealer's GM went on to saying, that this business is more about insurance and accessory margins.

All the best!
sanchit.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 00:39   #405
BHPian

There is only one catch that they are exchanging my old CRV with them. Even then, i will see when delivery period comes if needed i'll call Toyota VOC.

When i took delivery of Vento i was asked for 42k insurance. When i said i will get it done outside they relented and gave me for 27K zero dep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I suggest you get quotes from Bajaj Allianz & Royal Sundaram too just for a comparison sake. Add these quotes in your mail to Toyota and ask them to either match it or let you do insurance on your own. Knowing that Toyota is quite customer centric, 99% it will work out in your favour.
I think i shall do that.

Last edited by easterncar : 20th April 2012 at 01:01. Reason: within half hour
easterncar is offline   Reply With Quote