Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 1st July 2012, 01:58   #466
BHPian

Default re: Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Thanks....and welcome to the club!
Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Give me a buzz or text in the afternoon today if you like.
Was too caught up with disposing current sedan and couldn't progress on this today at all. Looks like it will be Tuesday. Will ring you once confirmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRaven View Post
...pls ensure the tire pressure. While the SA insisted it was 30 and they had double checked it, I found it to be 48 on all tires in front of their eyes.
Good tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
What all is included in the genuine accessories? Apparently only mats.

Call toyota and check it out with them. You might not wanna lose on the extended warranty just due to dealer ignorance. I'd called and the lady redirected me to talk to the dealer!
Thanks drmohitg !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
First of all Congratulations and welcome to the ever growing Fortuner owners club!! ...You can change my name if you dont break into a smile on a few occasions while driving it. Look forward to it!

...go for the Zero depreciation policy... Yes sir!

Smiles package is also a good idea. I spent about 7500/- in the first two years so you will save about a thousand there. I'll go for this one!

The Dunlop Grandtrek tyres the Fortuner comes with are brilliant performers. They are good offroad as well as on fast highway cruising. My Fortuner is past the 55,000 kms mark and i am still on my original set of tyres. I would suggest you do not change these.
Thanks Manuuj! The only reason I asked about tyre change was to explore whether a change could smoothen the ride on pot-holed city roads\stop-and-start traffic. On my sedan, a change to Michelin XM1+ had made it delightfully comfy. So, any suggestions?
RoadFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2012, 02:39   #467
BHPian

I forgot to ask an important question (particularly as I've chosen a black car) -To protect the black surface (and hopefully keep it glossy longer), does it make sense to go in for any Toyota or 3M paint protection stuff immediately upon taking delivery? Any experiences or suggestions?
Old 1st July 2012, 04:23   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadFiend
I forgot to ask an important question (particularly as I've chosen a black car) -To protect the black surface (and hopefully keep it glossy longer), does it make sense to go in for any Toyota or 3M paint protection stuff immediately upon taking delivery? Any experiences or suggestions?
Paint protection from 3M is a high quality wax sealant coat on the car, but does tend to rub off over time. The normal life of this is about one quarter with regular use and regular washing, not more.
There is I believe, a new and special paint sealant technique- again from 3M which literally involves an insulating scratch preventing layer coat over the OEM paint job. However, this is a new thing and from what I am told by the 3M chaps, this costs sums of money far beyond the dreams of avarice.
Black in general is a very tough colour to maintain in a pristine condition.
However, some preventive things that you can follow are;
Don't ask the regular car cleaner to clean this car daily.
Do it once in 3 to 4 days instead.
Give him two micro fibre cloths - one for the bodywork and another different one for the glass and ask him to use a high quality shampoo.
Ensure he washes with the top down approach and shampoos only after sluicing muck off the car first.
Basic stuff like this will keep the black looking good for longer.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2012, 12:00   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadFiend View Post
Also, wanted to shout out to 3 adventurers who've been big influences in making this decision:
Hi RoadFiend,
Congratulations ! You have chosen very wisely to go in for the Fortuner and more so a AT 4X2 as that seems to be a very practical decision bearing in mind the fact that it meets all your requirements.
With the AT you should be very happy chomping up highway miles without worry in the world or any sense of driving fatigue which anyway is nearly zero in a Fortuner for more reasons than one.
I, of course, prefer the MT just for the sense of involvement and control - for if not then I get fatigued and possibly would drop off at the wheel !

Welcome to the club and have many thousand miles of safe and delightful driving in the new addition to the family.

And... thank you - for the honourable mention in despatches !

Last edited by Guderian : 1st July 2012 at 12:04.
Guderian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 10:09   #470
BHPian

Quote:
I went in for the 3M Paint protect stuff for 'Megalodon' and believe me it was a good idea. Gloss had improved a lot and water slips off from the paint surface.

I still suggest that you should follow a regular waxing schedule, use a normal Waxpol Silicon polish and maintaining a black shade will not be bothersome.

Wish you a zillion safe miles in your beast.
Ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 10:43   #471
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So then, I've paid the advance and should be picking up the black-AT on Tuesday. Couple of questions here:
  1. I've refused the Toyota Protect insurance at Rs 66083 as I'm getting a deep discount from my existing insurer since NCB is getting transferred. Good idea?
  2. I'm giving the Toyota Genuine Accessories worth Rs 5132 a pass given that I plan to buy the 3D Kagu mats to avoid dirtying the floor carpets. Good idea?
  3. Apparently the Toyota Car Care Smiles package at Rs 6300 makes service upto 20,000 km (or 2 years, whichever is earlier) completely free. Should I go in for that?
  4. I was told that there is no extended warranty package. True?
  5. Should I go in for any other Toyota accessories at this time? For example, if I want the electric outside folding mirror, then should I do it now or later (I mean, can I get a discount on the electric mirror by turning in the current mirror, or is it an add-on?)
  6. Will changing to some other tyres make it a more comfortable ride? Asking this as I'm moving from a sedan and I want to make it a pleasant change for my family members (who've graciously agreed to let me get an SUV).
  7. Any Fortuner specific PDI tips (other than the standard bulletproof tbhp checklist)? Dealers yard is at Hosur Road, any tbhpian nearby who'd be interested and generous enough to join? Please PM.
Congrats

Own insurance company is a good Idea will always save money.
Get their service pack.
Tyres- Suggest Michelin Tour Lattitude - but these are hard to get and a bit expensive even in exchange - Look better and are said to be better. The Dunlops that came in the early Fortuners would disintegrate with side wall damage when brused agaist a side kerb. Though they were fine and lasted well for normal driving but one had to be careful to not damage the sidewalls by a brush against a rough stone etc. The Dunlops were known to be comfortable. Don't know what tyres come standard now.
Side view mirror electrical fold - get the mechanism right away. You are likely to brush the side view mirror while parking etc more in the early days than later.
Any kind of treatment to the body finish will normally just last 3 months so if you can get an annual contract with someone it will be better. Black colour is hard to maintain so it is best to get a treatment right upfront will help reduce scratches initially.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:34   #472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahmed View Post
I went in for the 3M Paint protect stuff for 'Megalodon'
Thanks! Do you remember what was the cost for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
[/list]Tyres- Suggest Michelin Tour Lattitude - but these are hard to get and a bit expensive even in exchange - Look better and are said to be better. The Dunlops that came in the early Fortuners would disintegrate with side wall damage when brused agaist a side kerb. Though they were fine and lasted well for normal driving but one had to be careful to not damage the sidewalls by a brush against a rough stone etc. The Dunlops were known to be comfortable. Don't know what tyres come standard now.
Thanks! The standard now is Dunlop Grand Trek. I would like to change it now, if another tyre would result in a significantly enhanced ride comfort in the city (that is, make it more sedan like).
Old 2nd July 2012, 12:38   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! Do you remember what was the cost for this?
It was approx INR 4990 +Tax, got it done from 3M Palm Beach Road, Mumbai

Last edited by noopster : 3rd July 2012 at 11:05. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Ahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:04   #474
BHPian

Question re: Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The 2012 Toyota Fortuner has been launched in India...

What you'll like:

What you won't:

• Unsettled ride quality. Firm suspension is too bumpy at city speeds
Will changing the stock Dunlop Grand Treks to something else reduce the bumpy "unsettled ride quality" at city speeds ?
Old 3rd July 2012, 15:30   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will changing the stock Dunlop Grand Treks to something else reduce the bumpy "unsettled ride quality" at city speeds ?
There will be a marginal difference if you use Michelin Latitude cross but that will set you back by 45,000/- with exchange of your tyres (all 5).

Unless you plan to hardcore off-roading, Dunlops are good.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 09:40   #476
BHPian

Could someone confirm please?
Have been told waiting period after booking has come down to 45 days.
A friend booked 4x2 with full payment upfront.
princey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 16:00   #477
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princey View Post
Could someone confirm please?
Have been told waiting period after booking has come down to 45 days.
A friend booked 4x2 with full payment upfront.
Well, not really, Grey and White are popular colors and owing to cancellations / color changes your friend might get one early.

A Black 4X4 fortuner commands at least 3 months in Mumbai or Chennai. Anyway, to the best of my knowledge, Toyota has NOT bumped up the capacity of the Fortuner Production Line.
Old 21st July 2012, 20:12   #478
BHPian

Can you suggest any solution as sales team is talking about DVD player cannot be attached to any roof top monitors. Need to buy separate DVD rooftop player and OEM player cannot be connected.
contactme27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2012, 20:19   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by contactme27 View Post
Can you suggest any solution as sales team is talking about DVD player cannot be attached to any roof top monitors. Need to buy separate DVD rooftop player and OEM player cannot be connected.
I dont think we can fix an external Roof Mount Monitor. We would have to splice wires and get a parallel connection from the Video controls, but its nor recommended.

The only way is to replace the existing HU with an aftermarket one, but the issue is you might loose on the steering controls.

I am curious to know why you are looking for a roof mount. The DVD clarity id pretty good in Fortuner. I tried playing a DVD (original DVD) and the clarity from the 3rd row was good.
Old 22nd July 2012, 09:30   #480
BHPian

Ok another thing that i dont like is that the DVD system only displays pictures with handbrakes on. That means you cant watch movies on the go. One of my friends told me that there is a wire connected to the handbrake which can be disconnected by any local car guy and then you can watch movies on the go. Can anyone confirm this?
ethan3686 is offline   Reply With Quote