Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 22nd July 2012, 12:33   #481
Senior - BHPian

Post re: Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan3686 View Post
Ok another thing that i dont like is that the DVD system only displays pictures with handbrakes on. That means you cant watch movies on the go. One of my friends told me that there is a wire connected to the handbrake which can be disconnected by any local car guy and then you can watch movies on the go. Can anyone confirm this?
Yes. This is a safety built in to avoid watching movies while driving, leading to distractions. There is a wire as right pointed out, which can be tweaked to bypass the feature.

One would need to "splice" the wire, but that may void the warranty. Discuss this with your A.S.S and they will do it for you. Doing it from an A.S.S will give you a stronger point against voiding your warranty. A.S.S is trained on products individually and they would know the best way to do it without causing any damage.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 18:30   #482
BHPian

Default re: Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)

What is like the delivery period after booking the fortuner nowadays.
Heard deliveries were made in 2 months after booking.
princey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 11:58   #483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princey View Post
What is like the delivery period after booking the fortuner nowadays.
Heard deliveries were made in 2 months after booking.
You can get one even within 2 weeks, if you choose a Grey 4X2.

Ones like black 4X4 take 2-3 months, since they need to be manufactured and delivered. Dealer stocks only fast moving colors and models
Old 31st August 2012, 17:30   #484
BHPian

Booked my Toyota Fortuner on the 9th of July and recieved the same on 17th of Aug. 6 weeks seem to be the norm nowadays. BTW I took delivery of a Silver 4*4. I heard the dealer say the deliveries are faster for 4*2 and auto variants as the production is more.

Last edited by GTO : 1st September 2012 at 16:50. Reason: Do NOT use acronyms when referring to cars. Full make & model name please
gopzdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 18:55   #485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopzdoc View Post
Booked my Toyota Fortuner on the 9th of July and recieved the same on 17th of Aug. 6 weeks seem to be the norm nowadays. BTW I took delivery of a Silver 4*4. I heard the dealer say the deliveries are faster for 4*2 and auto variants as the production is more.
Congratz gopzdoc on owing the best SUV the other side of 20L.
Please do share your ownership experience.
Happy Driving on the beast.

Last edited by GTO : 1st September 2012 at 16:51. Reason: Quoted post edited
princey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 21:24   #486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Yes. This is a safety built in to avoid watching movies while driving, leading to distractions. There is a wire as right pointed out, which can be tweaked to bypass the feature.

One would need to "splice" the wire, but that may void the warranty. Discuss this with your A.S.S and they will do it for you. Doing it from an A.S.S will give you a stronger point against voiding your warranty. A.S.S is trained on products individually and they would know the best way to do it without causing any damage.
This safety feature comes in most cars these days. I think all Toyota's have them now. Even the new Altis has it.
aparth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 22:59   #487
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopzdoc View Post
Booked my T Fort on the 9th of July and recieved the same on 17th of Aug. 6 weeks seem to be the norm nowadays. BTW I took delivery of a Silver 4*4. I heard the dealer say the deliveries are faster for 4*2 and auto variants as the production is more.
4X2 Auto and Manual seems to sell more than than 4X4. 4X4 are almost like made-to-order nowadays.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
This safety feature comes in most cars these days. I think all Toyota's have them now. Even the new Altis has it.
YEs it is a good safety feature, but probably they could have had an aux out to connect a roof mount monitor for the benefit of the remaining 6 passengers.

I find the probably of someone watching movies in a stationary car very remote.
Old 1st September 2012, 00:09   #488
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
YEs it is a good safety feature, but probably they could have had an aux out to connect a roof mount monitor for the benefit of the remaining 6 passengers.

I find the probably of someone watching movies in a stationary car very remote.
This is a good safety feature and it does not deter driver's concentration.

My Endeavour has a Kenwood touch screen dvd player in the central console and it plays movies only when in slush box is put "P" position. But, it also has the roof mounted dvd player+screen (provided by Ford) and this plays the movies when it the car is driven.

If this is possible in the Endeavour, it should be possible in a Fortuner. Guys, please install a roof mounted DVD player and distract the family while you enjoy those long drives and high speeds.
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2012, 13:58   #489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
This is a good safety feature and it does not deter driver's concentration.

My Endeavour has a Kenwood touch screen dvd player in the central console and it plays movies only when in slush box is put "P" position. But, it also has the roof mounted dvd player+screen (provided by Ford) and this plays the movies when it the car is driven.

If this is possible in the Endeavour, it should be possible in a Fortuner. Guys, please install a roof mounted DVD player and distract the family while you enjoy those long drives and high speeds.
To the best of my knowledge, I dont think Toyota has an OEM Roof mount screen. The only option is to fix an after-market roof mount and ground the wires to by-pass the system.

Fortuner Owners: Please clarify:
Old 1st September 2012, 15:19   #490
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge, I dont think Toyota has an OEM Roof mount screen. The only option is to fix an after-market roof mount and ground the wires to by-pass the system.

Fortuner Owners: Please clarify:
For sure, a Fortuner does not have a roof mounted screen as OE. Even the Endeavour does not, but this is fixed by the dealer when delivering the car, free-of-cost.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 11:22   #491
j76
BHPian

The On road price of the Fortuner AT is Rs. 27,38,000/- in Mumbai. I am not too sure but I think the prices have risen by a lakh in the last couple of months. Can someone please confirm.
j76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2012, 13:02   #492
BHPian

The price of all Toyota vehicles have increased by 10 to 15 percent from 1st of sept.
gopzdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 10:11   #493
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Well my family just took delivery of the fortuner a week back. Initial impressions from dad is here

Its big. Its comfy on good roads
Parking in a town and at home is a pain due to its size.
Bumpy on bad roads.
Its got the looks
A but pricey and i feel the taxes should be reduced if the economy needs to wake up.
Very roomy.

I havent driven the car and this is my dads opinion.
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2012, 19:31   #494
BHPian

I booked a fortuner AT last month in Gurgaon and was told a silly wait period of 8 months! Am I being taken for a ride?
bajajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2012, 23:35   #495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajajm View Post
I booked a fortuner AT last month in Gurgaon and was told a silly wait period of 8 months! Am I being taken for a ride?
8months seem high to me. Check with the customer care on probable waiting periods. You might also want to check with Delhi / noida dealers over telephone.

Rare colors (black / blue) take little more time than white ones.