Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 4th January 2013, 14:31   #526
BHPian

Default re: Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
Wait what, are you sure about this. I am to take delivery of the 4x2 Auto on Wednesday. Nobody mentioned this to us. Has anyone else heard anything in this regard.
Yes...i am positive...i went for a checking out the Fortuner 4X2 AT and was lamenting that this is only a 4 speed box...so he broke the news to me that despatches for 5 speed autos should commence shortly.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th January 2013 at 00:10. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Dieselite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 18:15   #527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wait what, are you sure about this. I am to take delivery of the 4x2 Auto on Wednesday. Nobody mentioned this to us. Has anyone else heard anything in this regard.
Pardon me !! I think your Fortuner must be a Dec 2012 make. All January 2013 Fortuners are Rumoured to have 5 speed auto boxes. If you have NOT registered it, ask the dealer to hold on. Dealers will find it difficult to move the 4 speed auto older models once the 5 speed ones hit.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 19:33   #528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselite View Post
Yes...i am positive...i went for a checking out the Fortuner 4X2 AT and was lamenting that this is only a 4 speed box...so he broke the news to me that despatches for 5 speed autos should commence shortly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Pardon me !! I think your Fortuner must be a Dec 2012 make. All January 2013 Fortuners are Rumoured to have 5 speed auto boxes. If you have NOT registered it, ask the dealer to hold on. Dealers will find it difficult to move the 4 speed auto older models once the 5 speed ones hit.
Yes it was dispatched from the plant on Dec 30th. So what should I do, I don't understand this car has over 5 months waiting, Gurgaon dealers are not even taking bookings. We have been allotted White AT and are required to take delivery on Wednesday. Can I cancel, is this really confirmed? I dont want to lose the car if this is just a rumor. Thanks to the both of you for this info but in my position if this turns out to be a rumor and if I decline the car and am put on hold for another, who knows 5 months, I am well screwed. However if this is true and I end up taking delivery I am again screwed. . What to do, the dealer is still maintaining that this 5 speed gearbox is not true. Who can I call to get more details. Please help.
eq24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2013, 22:24   #529
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... Thanks to the both of you for this info but in my position if this turns out to be a rumor and if I decline the car and am put on hold for another, who knows 5 months, I am well screwed. However if this is true and I end up taking delivery I am again screwed. . What to do, the dealer is still maintaining that this 5 speed gearbox is not true. Who can I call to get more details. Please help.
Ok..so you have already talked to the dealer!! Check with the dealer if you can pass this chance & get another one by mid Jan or end Jan. Give them some crappy excuse why you can't take delivery or so (like finance issues or something). Since you have already booked, you could get the next same model dispatched (which is supposed to go to the person behind you in queue as he will take your car). That should be very much possible. Don't think they can push you to the end of the queue since you are not cancelling & re-booking another color / variant.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 15:51   #530
Senior - BHPian

Post re: Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)

Quote:
Yes it was dispatched from the plant on Dec 30th. So what should I do, I don't understand this car has over 5 months waiting, Gurgaon dealers are not even taking bookings. We have been allotted White AT and are required to take delivery on Wednesday. Can I cancel, is this really confirmed? I dont want to lose the car if this is just a rumor. Thanks to the both of you for this info but in my position if this turns out to be a rumor and if I decline the car and am put on hold for another, who knows 5 months, I am well screwed. However if this is true and I end up taking delivery I am again screwed. . What to do, the dealer is still maintaining that this 5 speed gearbox is not true. Who can I call to get more details. Please help.
The best option would be to check with Toyota helpline / customer care. They are really good at responding to queries.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2013, 17:21   #531
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
The best option would be to check with Toyota helpline / customer care. They are really good at responding to queries.
If a new AT box is in the anvil and dealer's/company has stock of the old AT boxes, even the customer care will not reveal anything as far as my buying experience with them goes. The new AT box will be only be available to customers when Toyota officially releases it with fanfare and press releases. Till then it's anyone's guess whether its going to come or not. Also I doubt that Toyota will release a new AT box so soon after the release of the current AT.

I would recommended the person concerned to go ahead with his purchase of the current AT box and not be drawn into speculation.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2013, 09:13   #532
Team-BHP Support

I had actually posted about this in August 2012.

http://paultan.org/2012/08/23/toyota...on-finally-on/

The engine performance is also increased to 171PS/360Nm along with the 5 speed AT. Since India gets the kits from Thailand, it was only a matter of time before we get these upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I don't know about the 2.5L D-4D coming to India soon but expect the existing 3.0Lto receive some updates.

In Thailand, Toyota have tweaked the 3.0L Fortuner engine from 163Ps to 171PS.

What's even more interesting is that the 4 speed AT box has finally been upgraded to a 5 speed one.

It's only a matter of time till Toyota in India exhausts their kits of the 4 speed AT and have no choice but to get the upgraded kits from Thailand since that's where the imported kits come from.

source: Toyota Fortuner updated in Thailand
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 11:29   #533
BHPian

Dealers in Delhi and Gurgaon are unaware of this change (5 Speed Auto). Had a test drive yesterday and they insisted the 4 speed was the only one available for the near future, as far as they were aware. Although, as rightly pointed out, in Thailand the Fortuner is indeed selling with a 5 speed auto gearbox.
ashnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 20:35   #534
BHPian

Can someone enlighten me as to how comfortable is it to travel in the last row in comparison to Innova? Is boot space similar to Innova?
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 21:11   #535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashnd View Post
Dealers in Delhi and Gurgaon are unaware of this change (5 Speed Auto). Had a test drive yesterday and they insisted the 4 speed was the only one available for the near future, as far as they were aware. Although, as rightly pointed out, in Thailand the Fortuner is indeed selling with a 5 speed auto gearbox.
As dkaile rightly pointed out above, though Toyota is known for its Quality, do not take it granted for transparency in such knowledge transfer to prospective customers. Even if a new thing is supposed to be launched, they will hold back until public launch and you will only get diplomatic answers, nothing more. Thai has had TFort with 5AT since long. Don't hold that as a measure to Toyota bringing it to India. However, they are going to be utterly secretive about it even if they are going to launch it tomorrow. Dealerships are mostly mouth-pieces of Toyota and will also not divulge much even if they knew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftdiesel View Post
Can someone enlighten me as to how comfortable is it to travel in the last row in comparison to Innova? Is boot space similar to Innova?
We find 3rd row of Innova better than Fortuner. But more importantly, the ride is better in Innova comfortable for all up to the last row. Fortuner is bumpy in comparison. The boot space is near-about the same.

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th January 2013 at 10:38. Reason: As requested
parsh is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 22:29   #536
BHPian

Quote:
Personally, I found the Fortuner last row seats to be a bit more comfortable than the Innova, but this was only while the car was stationary. To travel, the Innova 3rd row seats are more comfortable anyday. However, Toyota is offering a suspension kit (by red rooster I think) for the Fortuner. It certainly makes the ride less bumpy than before.
275BHP is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 23:53   #537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Innova has more comfortable seating in both, the middle row and last row. Fortuner has problem of high floor and hence the reasonably good under thigh support of Innova's middle row is not as good in Fortuner's middle row.

For the last row, Innova is much better than Fortuner. The problem here again is lower H-point and ride. Innova has got surprisingly good ride quality even in last row, but Fortuner is not that good. May be higher unsprung mass and over specced suspension play the spoilsport for Fortuner, but T-Fort is built as an SUV and not a comfortable people carrier.

Overall, any given day, Comfort = Innova IMO. Another big positive is that getting in last row is relatively easier in Innova due to lower floor than Fortuner.
aaggoswami is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 00:56   #538
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Will be good to see the 5 speed AT Fortuner make it's appearance out here with higher power as well. A 3.0 ltr. engine should give a much higher power output that is delivers presently.

The bigger deal would be if they were to get the AT with AWD so that the Indian customer needs to not select between the two. But then that will take it to Rs. 30L OTR. Pricing is clearly getting out of hand. Hope the revamped T-Fort with 5 AT atleast comes in at the same price point as the present 4 AT.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 12:12   #539
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Innova is a People's Carrier while Fortuner is a Road Warrior (not to be mistaken with rash driving in any event). Both have different purposes. Fortuner can be used to traverse any kind of roads or absence of them. Innova has a better ride. A Fortuner owner will very seldom use it to carry 7 people whereas an Innova will be used for that purpose most of the times or at least that's what it's supposed to do. Fortuner is more of a lifestyle vehicle and Innova is (sorry to say) Taxi'ish. Boot space is similar in both. Last row travel will be more comfortable in a Innova but just slightly.
dkaile is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 12:19   #540
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Innova is (sorry to say) Taxi'ish. Boot space is similar in both. Last row travel will be more comfortable in a Innova but just slightly.
I would rather use the word utilitarian than what you have used. Remember the top spec V variant costs upwards of 17L in some cities. That is clearly not Taxi-ish.

3rd row seat comfort is far greater in the Innova than the Fortuner which is very cramped.

Also, Innova in 7 seater variant with the middle captain seats has more comfort in 3rd row since the middle seats slide and you get extra knee room with the empty space upfront.

Only problem in the 7 seater is getting in and out of the 3rd row since the middle row seats don't fold to entry/exit.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote