Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 17th January 2013, 18:33   #556
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
This feels best of the lot. Amazing pick-up and response. The engine power has been increase to 171.
Wasn't the engine in India always 171ps and 350nm?
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 21:28   #557
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Wasn't the engine in India always 171ps and 350nm?
Nope, it was around 163PS earlier. Some tuning for better FE and improved drivability.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 21:34   #558
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Nope, it was around 163PS earlier. Some tuning for better FE and improved drivability.
Well the official review also mentions 169bhp which is 171ps and 343nm.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html
It was always that over here, possible that Thailand had a lower tune which was bumped up.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 23:00   #559
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Well the official review also mentions 169bhp which is 171ps and 343nm.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ve-review.html
It was always that over here, possible that Thailand had a lower tune which was bumped up.
Wow. I never knew that!! I always thought the Fortuner was 163PS. The 5 speed AT is looking very interesting.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2013, 14:23   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Wow. I never knew that!! I always thought the Fortuner was 163PS..
According to the brochure

Name:  tf.jpg
Views: 9378
Size:  122.7 KB

171 PS = 168.66 Bhp ( 1 PS = 0.9863 HP)
redrage is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 15:35   #561
BHPian

Any advantage 4 speed transmission has over 5 speed? And is the 5 speed more costlier than the 4speed?
ethan3686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2013, 20:45   #562
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan3686 View Post
Any advantage 4 speed transmission has over 5 speed? And is the 5 speed more costlier than the 4speed?
4-Speed offers no advantage over the 5-Speed and it is actually a disadvantage. Even if 5-Speed is costlier, it is still better.
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2013, 00:46   #563
BHPian

Default Rumour-Toyota Fortuner new interiors

I'm completely against rumor mongering but after booking my fortuner this month I have heard a piece of good news. The news is in the form of a rumor that post budget the Fortuner will have new interiors. Now we all know how the Fortuner interiors are compared to top end Innova, so it would be a welcome step for so many fortuner wannabe owners. This news has come from a friend who has another good friend in the plant. After booking the fortuner in the first week of February I had to pull a few strings to have the delivery scheduled for February. The dealer had told me initially I would get the vehicle not before April. Now I think I will have to ask him to postpone the delivery date even at the risk of a post budget price hike. ( The government is set to increase taxes on diesel vehicles)
Now I wonder if this piece of news is correct. My belief in it increases simply by the logic that with a price hike , Rexton launched, revamped Endeavour, cheaper Pajero, comparative X1 and few more offerings in a different segment like the Duster and Ecosport, Toyota can improve the interiors to justify the post budget price hike. The fortuner is the best SUV in its segment and the only thing lacking are the interiors with a sun roof. If they add this it would become an unbeatable offer.
With no help expected from the dealer as it may hamper current deliveries and a tight lipped Toyota ill have to use my instincts on this one. Im in no mood to hasten the procurement of my Fortuner now. So friends kindly give your insight on this rumor. Feel free to negate if you think otherwise.
sameeracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2013, 13:18   #564
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Rumour-Toyota Fortuner new interiors

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameeracer View Post
I'm completely against rumor mongering but after booking my fortuner this month I have heard a piece of good news. The news is in the form of a rumor that post budget the Fortuner will have new interiors. ...

Im in no mood to hasten the procurement of my Fortuner now. So friends kindly give your insight on this rumor. Feel free to negate if you think otherwise.
I guess you will need to get a clearer picture on the changes in the interior. I read that post budget, there will be heavier taxes on diesel SUVs (not sure to what extent).

Unless the interiors are worth that price increase (if hike does happen), I do NOT think you should wait for it. Plus, I do expect Fortuner to undergo another round of hike for the interiors too. The car could become substantially costlier.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2013, 14:28   #565
Senior - BHPian

Link to ACI's test drive review of the 5-Speed Fortuner AT:

http://www.autocarindia.com/Review/3...est-drive.aspx

Excerpts:
Quote:
The new gearbox brings a set of more closely stacked ratios. It now has shorter first,second and third gears for better acceleration and throttle response, while the fourth and fifth gear are similar tothe top two gears on the old box.

Where the extra ratio really makes a difference is in everyday driving – the Fortuner feels more eager and faster thanbefore and the jerky throttle response of the earlier ’box is replaced by a more linear one. The engine feels morerelaxed, while the gearbox shifts up early and keeps the motor at more comfortable engine speeds.
CARDEEP is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 14:48   #566
BHPian

Default Re: Rumour-Toyota Fortuner new interiors

Quote:
I'm completely against rumor mongering but after booking my fortuner this month I have heard a piece of good news. The news is in the form of a rumor that post budget the Fortuner will have new interiors. Now we all know how the Fortuner interiors are compared to top end Innova, so it would be a welcome step for so many fortuner wannabe owners. This news has come from a friend who has another good friend in the plant. After booking the fortuner in the first week of February I had to pull a few strings to have the delivery scheduled for February. The dealer had told me initially I would get the vehicle not before April. Now I think I will have to ask him to postpone the delivery date even at the risk of a post budget price hike. ( The government is set to increase taxes on diesel vehicles)
Now I wonder if this piece of news is correct. My belief in it increases simply by the logic that with a price hike , Rexton launched, revamped Endeavour, cheaper Pajero, comparative X1 and few more offerings in a different segment like the Duster and Ecosport, Toyota can improve the interiors to justify the post budget price hike. The fortuner is the best SUV in its segment and the only thing lacking are the interiors with a sun roof. If they add this it would become an unbeatable offer.
With no help expected from the dealer as it may hamper current deliveries and a tight lipped Toyota ill have to use my instincts on this one. Im in no mood to hasten the procurement of my Fortuner now. So friends kindly give your insight on this rumor. Feel free to negate if you think otherwise.
Any new information on the proposed interior revamp? I too don't want to hasten my purchase of Fortuner as I wanted to see the exact budget implications on the 4x2MT model. But your post on a interior revamp has made me wait as the with the price hike I'm still think whether it makes sense put in that kinda of money into a Fortuner. Also I'm awaiting the CRV to arrive in my city. So if you have any other news please share.

Last edited by GTO : 6th March 2013 at 11:12. Reason: Please do NOT refer to cars via short-forms (e.g. T-Fort or ANHC). Full Names ONLY please. Thanks
abs182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2013, 23:47   #567
BHPian

Which city do you live in? The reason I'm asking is because it takes a long time for Toyota to deliver the Fortuner. I have already booked in feb and now I'm waiting. Even if i cancel midway ill get the full money back. It's better to book and ponder with this Machine.
Even with a price hike the Fortuner is worth it. Though ill love it with something new and the improved interiors would be most welcome. I can't come up with an alternative. The solid Machiene with a sound service is only delivered in another model offered by the same company ie. the innova.
Old 5th March 2013, 11:49   #568
BHPian

Quote:
Which city do you live in? The reason I'm asking is because it takes a long time for Toyota to deliver the Fortuner. I have already booked in feb and now I'm waiting. Even if i cancel midway ill get the full money back. It's better to book and ponder with this Machine.
Even with a price hike the Fortuner is worth it. Though ill love it with something new and the improved interiors would be most welcome. I can't come up with an alternative. The solid Machiene with a sound service is only delivered in another model offered by the same company ie. the innova.
The Sales guy was also insistent with a booking so that the car gets into the booking pipeline. Nevertheless, I went and checked out the CRV yesterday and really liked the car. 2.0 L MT. Now the question comes to the price difference. between the CRV and Toyota Fortuner its almost 2.0 Lacs. At that price I get a whole lot more features in the interior and safety plus being already a City 2010 owner I have come to believe that the Honda is equally reliable. I miss out on the 3rd row plus I miss out on the Diesel but my running anyways isn't more than 1500 Kms per month.

I am so confused between the two that even my family's given up on the me making up my mind

So I really wanted a to know whether there's going to be an interior overhaul in the Toyota Fortuner anytime soon for helping me decide.

Last edited by Technocrat : 6th March 2013 at 04:22. Reason: We do not allow usage of Short names for cars anymore, pelase read the baord rules carefully, Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 20:29   #569
BHPian

Friend the best advice I can give you that go for the Rexton or at least check it out. I'm doing the same, lets see if it works out. I saw the vehicle , automatic with sun roof, base price 22.2 lacs. I was blown away specially in the moonlight silver colour. What I dread only with it is the service, which I don't trust Mahindra at all. Do keep me posted on what you decide. Petrol vehicle like Honda CRV is no viable in today's day and age.
Old 6th March 2013, 14:29   #570
BHPian

Quote:
Friend the best advice I can give you that go for the Rexton or at least check it out. I'm doing the same, lets see if it works out. I saw the vehicle , automatic with sun roof, base price 22.2 lacs. I was blown away specially in the moonlight silver colour. What I dread only with it is the service, which I don't trust Mahindra at all. Do keep me posted on what you decide. Petrol vehicle like Honda CRV is no viable in today's day and age.
To be honest with you I am a bit averse with Mahindra brand. I know its illogical but some things have a perception in our minds and that's the way it with with me for Mahindra. I will take a look the revised price hike on the Fortuner and than take a call. CRV is something that has appealed to the heart and with my running of 1500 KMs a month max I think the CRV will be manageable. Plus I'm a firm believer that over my period of car ownership i.e. 5 to 8 yrs the fuel price differential will vanish for cars at least. The difference between the CRV and the Fortuner was around 2.00 lacs before the budget with he increase it should be around 2.50 lacs so that also helps negating the fuel price difference.