Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 6th March 2013, 15:25   #571
BHPian

Default re: Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)

We were in the same dilemma ourselves. We needed a bigger vehicle for my father whose daily drive is about 60kms in Mumbai city and once in while weekend trips outside the city. So it had to be more than a 5 seater, comfortable, maintenance had to be low and had to be reliable.

I love the Fortuner, however with a price tag of 29lacs OTR Bombay being company registered it felt too expensive and not worth it specially with the interiors ditto to an Innova top model. Also had to consider that with the bucket seats in the 2nd row Innova felt more comfortable than the Fortuner. Looked at other options as well the Endeavour was ruled out as its high floor made the 2nd and 3rd row very uncomfortable, same case with the Rexton as well which otherwise was a great value product not sure of the reliability though, XUV was also considered but dropped as we were not certain of its reliability also checked out the Captiva which was costing 1L more than Fortuner but was loaded with features and made me fall in love with it. After spending 4 frustrating months pondering we finally went ahead and booked an Innova VX Delivery is expected tomorrow.

Though innova is a great vehicle it did not seem too great a value for money considering it costed us 18.15L OTR Mumbai as it came with a taxi tag and no snob value whatsoever associated with a car costing almost 20L. However it did check all the boxes of our requirement and also the top model came with most of the bells and whistles we needed. Hence even though i hated it had we were left with no other choice.

By the way we manged to book it just in time as the prices of both Innova and Fortuner have risen post budget. Innova would have costed us approx 50K more had we delayed even a day costing almost 19L OTR

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th March 2013 at 03:25. Reason: Only 2 smiley's per post allowed, pleas read the forum rules carefully, thanks
vvb8530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 00:56   #572
BHPian

Man you should have waited for the launch of ford Ecosport. Another two vehicles that are in the 26 lac segment are Chevrolet trailblazer and Santa Fe fluidic. I'm waiting for these two and a half since Ecosport is a baby SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abs182 View Post

To be honest with you I am a bit averse with Mahindra brand. I know its illogical but some things have a perception in our minds and that's the way it with with me for Mahindra. I will take a look the revised price hike on the Fortuner and than take a call. CRV is something that has appealed to the heart and with my running of 1500 KMs a month max I think the CRV will be manageable. Plus I'm a firm believer that over my period of car ownership i.e. 5 to 8 yrs the fuel price differential will vanish for cars at least. The difference between the CRV and the Fortuner was around 2.00 lacs before the budget with he increase it should be around 2.50 lacs so that also helps negating the fuel price difference.
Since you already have a Honda CRV you must wait for the Santa Fe fluidic then make up your mind. I'm waiting for it after booking the Fortuner.im also eager to see the trailblazer of chèverlot. Lets see what the feel like to drive. I'm for one a person who drives then decides. Regarding the Rexton don't got near it. I'm sure they'll sell the vehicle and not service it well. Besides the two back rows are a struggle.

Last edited by Eddy : 15th April 2013 at 02:26. Reason: Please use the edit / multiquote option instead of posting back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread. Thanks.
sameeracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 06:56   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameeracer View Post
Since you already have a Honda CRV you must wait for the Santa Fe fluidic then make up your mind. I'm waiting for it after booking the Fortuner.im also eager to see the trailblazer of chèverlot. Lets see what the feel like to drive. I'm for one a person who drives then decides. Regarding the Rexton don't got near it. I'm sure they'll sell the vehicle and not service it well. Besides the two back rows are a struggle.
According to Autocar, the trailblazer might not make it to India as the paint shop is not big enough to accomodate it. Santa Fe might be worth waiting for but end up costing higher than the current model which costs close to 30L.
shivasuma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2013, 12:24   #574
Team-BHP Support

@sameeracer, abs182-

This thread (Pajero Sport or Fortuner AT? Does Rexton deserve a look?) may help you a bit with your dilemma.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 18:04   #575
BHPian

Default Re: Toyota Fortuner : Test Drive & Review

Are the new Fortuners vastly improved in braking and road holding?

On a completely free stretch, this Fortuner just accelerates away from my sedan which was doing pretty high speed. Also, on a long curve after the straight, I had to slow down since I wasn't feeling as confident and my rear inner tyres were slightly squealing for grip. The Fortuner just kept going! Also stopped extremely well at a signal after the curve.

I'm completely bowled over - my respect has DOUBLED!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff: Post edited. Team-BHP maintains a strong stand against street racing and any other form of dangerous driving.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th March 2013 at 10:00.
d_himan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2013, 23:06   #576
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_himan View Post
Are the new Fortuners vastly improved in braking and road holding?

On a completely free stretch, this Fortuner just accelerates away from my sedan which was doing pretty high speed. Also, on a long curve after the straight, I had to slow down since I wasn't feeling as confident and my rear inner tyres were slightly squealing for grip. The Fortuner just kept going! Also stopped extremely well at a signal after the curve.

I'm completely bowled over - my respect has DOUBLED!
Maybe a tuned one

Some pix of an auto, 2013 model.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)-20130322_164727_411_20130323225311797-large.jpg  

Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)-20130322_164803_486_20130323225241952-large.jpg  

Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)-20130322_165428_5_20130323225214162-large.jpg  

Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)-20130322_165515_531_20130323225343343-large.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 24th March 2013 at 10:01. Reason: Quote edited.
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2013, 23:17   #577
BHPian

I just took a test drive of Fortuner 4X4 and I got a quote from both the dealers Lanson Toyota and Harsha Toyota in Chennai
Lanson Toyota:
Ex Showroom - 23,62,790/-
Road Tax, Regn, Logistics & Facilitation Charges - 3,66,918/-
Toyota Protect - 91,035/-
Toyota Genuine Accessories - 30,000/- (Floor mat, Trunk mat, Fender Mirror, Chrome Door housing, Muffler Cutter, Iluminated scuff plate & Vanity Sun Visor)
Toyota Car Care - 6,726/- (SMILES upto 20,000km / 1year)

TOTAL - Rs.28,57,469/-

Harsha Toyota:
Ex Showroom - 23,62,792/-
Road Tax, Regn, Logistics & Facilitation Charges - 3,65,919/-
Toyota Protect - 90,925/-
Toyota Genuine Accessories - 36,000/- (Floor mat, Trunk mat, Rear Bumper Step, Fender Mirror, Chrome Door housing, Muffler Cutter, Iluminated scuff plate, Cargo Net & Vanity Sun Visor)
Toyota Car Care - 7,501/- (SMILES upto 20,000km / 1year)

TOTAL - Rs.28,63,137/-

Both of these dealers expect a minimum of 1lakh Rupees as Booking Advance and expected delivery is within a month. I sincerely doubt the price difference between two dealers and also the Logistics & Facilitation charges charged by them. Will question them on this and will post their reply.
narchennai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 09:24   #578
Distinguished - BHPian

Get an insurance quote from outside and ask them to match it which will definitely save you a few thousand bucks.

Also on the accessories, the pacakge price seems to be a bit high. Do review it in detail and see if you can squeeze a bit of discounts on the accessories.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th March 2013 at 10:18.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 18:04   #579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Friend the best advice I can give you that go for the Rexton or at least check it out. I'm doing the same, lets see if it works out. I saw the vehicle , automatic with sun roof, base price 22.2 lacs. I was blown away specially in the moonlight silver colour. What I dread only with it is the service, which I don't trust Mahindra at all. Do keep me posted on what you decide. Petrol vehicle like Honda CRV is no viable in today's day and age.
While I will not extrol the benefits of a Mahindra product but I will certainly vouch for the customer service which is top notch.
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 23:58   #580
BHPian

I know you are looking at a higher price range - but have you test driven the Storme? It checks all your boxes. Apart from the unproven reliability - but given how rock-solid Dicors have been - I would think that the Stormes are likely to be not-so-bad. Ride quality on the Storme is actually better than the Fortuner and Endy. Not as good as the Innova though. Of course, I am talking about black-top roads.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th March 2013 at 10:18.
torquing_points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 01:50   #581
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
While I will not extrol the benefits of a Mahindra product but I will certainly vouch for the customer service which is top notch.
Well I can say one thing about the service of Mahindra, I had a Scorpio for eight years and usually I ended in a brawl with the Mahindra dealer in Lucknow. The service was always poor and they often missed on the important elements of scheduling things. When you have to change a part you change not wait for it to fail. This is the biggest drawback with Mahindra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Maybe a tuned one

Some pix of an auto, 2013 model.
What are the colors in this pic. Please give the names of the colors. I like the pale yellow. Is it gold mica or off white.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the same thread.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th March 2013 at 10:16.
sameeracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 09:20   #582
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Get an insurance quote from outside and ask them to match it which will definitely save you a few thousand bucks.

Also on the accessories, the pacakge price seems to be a bit high. Do review it in detail and see if you can squeeze a bit of discounts on the accessories.
+ 1 Get insurance quote from outside. My friend paid 51k for his Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquing_points View Post
I know you are looking at a higher price range - but have you test driven the Storme? It checks all your boxes. Apart from the unproven reliability - but given how rock-solid Dicors have been - I would think that the Stormes are likely to be not-so-bad. Ride quality on the Storme is actually better than the Fortuner and Endy. Not as good as the Innova though. Of course, I am talking about black-top roads.
Rear seats are more comfortable, wider and has better under thigh support in Safari.

Quote:
Well I can say one thing about the service of Mahindra, I had a Scorpio for eight years and usually I ended in a brawl with the Mahindra dealer in Lucknow. The service was always poor and they often missed on the important elements of scheduling things. When you have to change a part you change not wait for it to fail. This is the biggest drawback with Mahindra.
My friend is fedup with the MM service ( a MM fan who now owns the second Scorpio!) wants to just sell of his Scorpio because of bad service.

And my cousin had issues with brand new Xylo E9. Had to escalate via multiple sources to get it fixed; which took 2 months.

Quote:
What are the colors in this pic. Please give the names of the colors. I like the pale yellow. Is it gold mica or off white.
Silky gold.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2013, 04:29   #583
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Has any Fortuner owner in our TBHP opted for TEIN suspension upgrade(shocks)? If so, does it help in a better comfortable ride for middle and last row passengers for regular use?
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2013, 18:05   #584
BHPian

Default Re: Rumour-Toyota Fortuner new interiors

Quote:
I'm completely against rumor mongering but after booking my fortuner this month I have heard a piece of good news. The news is in the form of a rumor that post budget the Fortuner will have new interiors. Now we all know how the Fortuner interiors are compared to top end Innova, so it would be a welcome step for so many fortuner wannabe owners. This news has come from a friend who has another good friend in the plant. After booking the fortuner in the first week of February I had to pull a few strings to have the delivery scheduled for February. The dealer had told me initially I would get the vehicle not before April. Now I think I will have to ask him to postpone the delivery date even at the risk of a post budget price hike. ( The government is set to increase taxes on diesel vehicles)
Now I wonder if this piece of news is correct. My belief in it increases simply by the logic that with a price hike , Rexton launched, revamped Endeavour, cheaper Pajero, comparative X1 and few more offerings in a different segment like the Duster and Ecosport, Toyota can improve the interiors to justify the post budget price hike. The fortuner is the best SUV in its segment and the only thing lacking are the interiors with a sun roof. If they add this it would become an unbeatable offer.
With no help expected from the dealer as it may hamper current deliveries and a tight lipped Toyota ill have to use my instincts on this one. Im in no mood to hasten the procurement of my Fortuner now. So friends kindly give your insight on this rumor. Feel free to negate if you think otherwise.
Any more on the news of upgraded interiors on the Fortuner.
princey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 12:51   #585
BHPian

Post re: Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)

This query is to all Fortuner 2012 4x4 MT owners.

This is regarding VSC(ESP). When I was taking a test drive of Fortuner 4x4 facelift I saw a button which switches on/off VSC(ESP). Do you guys keep it switched on always while the vehicle is in H mode?

And what happens to VSC(ESP) (if it was previously on) when you take it for offroading and you engage HL or LL mode.
mroptimist is offline   Reply With Quote