Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 24th September 2013, 08:18   #601
BHPian

Default re: Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkingsley View Post
Does the brakes feel like having insufficient power to stop the Fortuner ? How does the gear shift and steering feel as compared to similar vehicles.
Steering is tiny bit harder compared to bigger SUVs and trucks I've driven, namely Toyota and Lexus. While we are on that topic I would like to find out if Fortuner's power steering is self adjusting depending on the speed.

Breaking works. Yesterday I had to do a hard stop due to a guy several cars ahead of me doing something stupid (and they always do it in a flash, don't they?) and causing us to hard break. I thought that the breaks did their job. A lady driving a WagonR behind me came screaching and stopped just an inch from my rear bumper. I thought I got extremely lucky.
kaizanfan is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2013, 09:20   #602
Senior - BHPian

The brakes on the new Fortuners have been significantly better than the earlier ones. The brakes have the required bite, however wish rear too has disk set up
getsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 12:12   #603
Senior - BHPian

Whats the max torque rating of the 5 Speed A/T ? Anyone remaped/chipped the 3.0 A/T?

Hope the Indonesian Fortuner face lift is launched in India with the 3.0 4x4 A/T (Thailand gets this variant, Why shouldn't India)
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 17:11   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinaydas View Post
Whats the max torque rating of the 5 Speed A/T ? Anyone remaped/chipped the 3.0 A/T?

Hope the Indonesian Fortuner face lift is launched in India with the 3.0 4x4 A/T (Thailand gets this variant, Why shouldn't India)
They did launch the 4X4 face-lift in India as a limited edition,but only with a changed front grille(no chrome) spoilers & skirts.No TRD sportivo alloys ,no automatic transmission.All this for an additional Rs.90k.
dean5545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2013, 21:48   #605
Senior - BHPian

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/toyota...-in-indonesia/

I'm talking about the above face lift. (launched recently in Indonesia)
vinaydas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2013, 13:50   #606
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota launches limited edition of Fortuner for Rs 24.3 lakh.

Designed by Toyota Racing Development (TRD), the limited edition will be available in the 4x4 MT variant of the Fortuner, the company said in a statement.

Only 400 units of the Fortuner limited edition will be sold till December 2013.

Source:ET
volkman10 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 12:09   #607
BHPian

I am looking at buying a new SUV, have zeroed in on fortuner, but am very confused with AT vs 4x4. I would really like to buy the AT but the absence of VSC, EBD and BA (yes, the toyota website mentions EBD and BA as optional accessory for 4x4MT only!) is making be jittery.

The reason I am inclined towards AT is that fortuner with its big engine and massive ground clearance can do mild offroading anyway. I plan to take the vehicle to leh sometime next year and am told that most of the vehicles that do circuit in those regions are 4x2 - even few of our Tbhpians have taken their sedans and 4x2 SUV to these places- so really the added comfort of the AT is appealing given above. But for the safety specs that AT lacks.

So the question to fellow T-fort owners is

1: Is it true that AT lacks VSC, EBD and BA? or only VSC.

2: How important is VSC for a large SUV like this?

Any input is appreciated

thanks
-s
smekad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 13:38   #608
BHPian

^^ you should also have a look at the new Santa Fe. AWD, AT & bunch of Safety Jargons!!
BUXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 16:03   #609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smekad View Post
I am looking at buying a new SUV, have zeroed in on fortuner, but am very confused with AT vs 4x4. I would really like to buy the AT but the absence of VSC, EBD and BA (yes, the toyota website mentions EBD and BA as optional accessory for 4x4MT only!) is making be jittery.

The reason I am inclined towards AT is that fortuner with its big engine and massive ground clearance can do mild offroading anyway. I plan to take the vehicle to leh sometime next year and am told that most of the vehicles that do circuit in those regions are 4x2 - even few of our Tbhpians have taken their sedans and 4x2 SUV to these places- so really the added comfort of the AT is appealing given above. But for the safety specs that AT lacks.

Any input is appreciated

thanks
-s
As a person having friends with both 4x4 and 4x2 auto variant I would advice you to buy the 4x4 or 4x2 manual for that matter.Avoid the auto-bx it takes away the punch of the engine which you can enjoy with the manual Fortuner.
You can have a look at the fun member karan561 has with his manual 4x4 which I know you wont be able to do with the auto.
Go for the auto only if you are going to use it a lot in city.
Coming to the your questions:
1.Yes the VSC is available only in 4x4 trim,although I guess EBD and BA are present in all variants.Since the classic ones had them too.
2.VSC is a life saver in a SUV like Fortuner to save you from situations in which the high stance of this SUV will put you in.

My pick would be the 4x4 manual or the 4x2 manual not the autobox.
I would advise you to take test-drive both the options thoroughly before taking the decision.
All the best!
dean5545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 18:31   #610
BHPian

Quote:

Any input is appreciated

thanks
-s
I own a Fortuner with an AT box and I think it only lacks VSC not the other two.
I have driven my Fortuner like the wind and the devil and till now touch wood, actually after reading your post started thinking but I did not even realize till now that I do not have VSC. The car is quite composed.

See what I believe is that VSC is more required for serious off roaders to keep the body composed when on non tarmac locations. For day to day I never felt the need.

It is a world of difference driving an AT or a manual and for a big SUV like the Fortuner, you will find the convenience of the AT far far greater than the manual.
Hope this helped.
eq24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 20:07   #611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
I own a Fortuner with an AT box and I think it only lacks VSC not the other two.
I was thinking the same, untill I saw the toyota website- which clearly mentions otherwise! Have sent an email to toyota for clarification. Even the SA was surprised when I showed him this.

Quote:
See what I believe is that VSC is more required for serious off roaders to keep the body composed when on non tarmac locations. For day to day I never felt the need.
Not sure about that, I think VSC is not required for offroading, it is in highway- smooth tarmac that this is life saver especially if you have change direction in an emergency- far often in our highways IMO.

Quote:
It is a world of difference driving an AT or a manual and for a big SUV like the Fortuner, you will find the convenience of the AT far far greater than the manual.
Agree- this is what is making me weigh towards AT. Moreover, I do regular trips to Kerala- the roads in any part of that region is always busy- like driving in city traffic even in what's supposed to be National Highways!
Old 23rd February 2014, 20:09   #612
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
AT doesn't have VSC but EBD & BA is tehre on the AT Model.

VSC is definitely good to have, but if having AT is important for the comfort, then I guess it is okay to skip VSC.

VSC kicks in only when you spin out of control for example in wet & slippery conditions. During day to day driving on normal roads, VSC normally doesn't engage. ABS itself will prevent the vehicle from going into a skid in most cases.

Besides, if you don't need 4x4, there is no point in bearing the additional weight/fuel penalty/extra maintenance of 4x4 system just to get VSC.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 22:50   #613
BHPian

All decided to go with 4x4MT. It is a shame that Toyota does not provide a critical safety feature like VSC as standard for such a large vehicle!

Safety first! Comfort later- of course this comes with added benefit of go anywhere DNA with 4x4

-s
Old 25th February 2014, 09:05   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Safety first! Comfort later- of course this comes with added benefit of go anywhere DNA with 4x4
Hi smekad,

Congratulations! You will enjoy every moment of driving the beast. I also wanted a 4X4 AT, if they had that in their offering. I picked a 4X4 MT and there is no looking back!!
getsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 10:25   #615
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...It is a shame that Toyota does not provide a critical safety feature like VSC as standard for such a large vehicle!...
VSC is a luxury. Such an expensive & powerful vehicle comes with rear drum brakes! Beat that!!
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote