Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th February 2014, 11:15   #616
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
See what I believe is that VSC is more required for serious off roaders to keep the body composed when on non tarmac locations. For day to day I never felt the need.
It is the other way around:

from 8:10 mins and 38:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by smekad View Post
Not sure about that, I think VSC is not required for offroading, it is in highway- smooth tarmac that this is life saver especially if you have change direction in an emergency- far often in our highways IMO.
Exactly and congratulations for deciding on the right variant. I believe for a car with a high center of gravity, ESC is an absolutely essential feature.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 11:40   #617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi smekad,

Congratulations! You will enjoy every moment of driving the beast. I also wanted a 4X4 AT, if they had that in their offering. I picked a 4X4 MT and there is no looking back!!
Thanks! I did check with a toyota official at the auto expo about plans for 4x4AT. "Not any time in future" was their official reply .

Somehow I have a feeling that given the Santa Fe pricing, they might be tempted to bring in the 4x4AT variant earlier than later! But there are no scoops/news to support this hence I am planning to book now and take advantage of the excise reduction while it lasts
smekad is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2014, 08:12   #618
BHPian

Just thought of sharing this useful link (check the embedded video).

NHSTA data shows that for an SUV VSC equipped vehicles have 67% less probability of accident!

http://www.toyota-global.com/innovat...ctive/vsc.html
smekad is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 12:57   #619
BHPian

Question re: Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)

Hi All,

So I am looking to fulfill my decade long dream of buying an SUV in the 25-30 lakh range. After looking at all my options I have decided to zero in on the Fortuner like so many others

Now the pertinent question is whether to go for the 4x4 manual or the 4x2 auto (Yes, a 4x4 auto would have been a hands down winner but I have to work with what is available right now).

The car will be driven mostly by me for my daily city driving in delhi (that's why the inclination towards the automatic transmission) with an occasional use by my dad. There will be 3-4 highway trips in a year but I don't foresee major offroading. Driving pleasure is an important consideration. Does a 4x2 and 4x4 feel really different while driving in the city? I have planned a test drive in the coming week for both but it would be great to have some clarity in mind before going for it.

Please help me with your thoughts on the 4x4 vs 4x2 auto dilemma
manujkansal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 13:48   #620
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manujkansal View Post
The car will be driven mostly by me for my daily city driving in delhi (that's why the inclination towards the automatic transmission) with an occasional use by my dad. There will be 3-4 highway trips in a year but I don't foresee major offroading.
Congratulations on finalizing your car. For your set of requirements, I would suggest to with the AT transmission with eyes closed. You will really appreciate the ease of the AT box in Delhi city traffic.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2014, 14:04   #621
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Congratulations on finalizing your car. For your set of requirements, I would suggest to with the AT transmission with eyes closed. You will really appreciate the ease of the AT box in Delhi city traffic.
thanks a lot drmohitg. I ws just skeptical about the 4x2 because all over the second hand car market there were a lot of barely a year 4x2 ATs for sale. One could hardly spot a 4x4 there but I guess that's just me being too cynical

Last edited by manujkansal : 14th May 2014 at 14:10. Reason: Typos
manujkansal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2014, 18:54   #622
KMT
BHPian

Can anyone tell me the real city / highway FE of an Automatic Fortuner?

Any auto box owners feedback here would be great
KMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2014, 05:50   #623
AJo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
Can anyone tell me the real city / highway FE of an Automatic Fortuner?

Any auto box owners feedback here would be great
I got my Fortuner AT two months back (21st Mar'14). The first 1000 km I got a FE of between 9 to 10 km/ lit for city driving (mostly B to B) & 100% A.C. Also did a trip to Mumbai, for which the FE was between 11 to 12 Km/lit (with 100% AC).
After the first service (at 1000 km), have found the FE to have improved to 10.5 to 11.5 km/lit for city driving with 100% AC. Am yet to travel out of city after the 1st service . Current reading is at 2400 km (out of which only 400km is highway running).

AJ
AJo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2014, 11:39   #624
KMT
BHPian

Thanks buddy. I am thinking about getting a fortuner.
Can't decide on the variant though..

The FE figures you are getting is great for an old school AT.

I am leaning towards an AT but some friends here in Coorg say 4wd is necessary in the hills.
Cheers
Old 18th May 2014, 14:44   #625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks buddy. I am thinking about getting a fortuner.
Can't decide on the variant though..

The FE figures you are getting is great for an old school AT.

I am leaning towards an AT but some friends here in Coorg say 4wd is necessary in the hills.
Cheers
In the hills, 4X2 is sufficient for the proper tarmac roads. If you plan to access some farm / farmhouse which is on a muddy road off the highway, then 4X4 is needed that too only in Rainy days.

I have done Coorg in a Santro and I don't think 4X4 was needed for the asphalt road.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2014, 17:14   #626
AJo
BHPian

Quote:
Cheers
The AT is certainly a big convenience driving in the city & with decent FE figures feels like a good decision for me. As far as 4x4 goes, I would second what SB said about not needing it unless you are planning to go to real tough terrain. The 4x2 AT has not felt under-powered atleast in my limited usage.

Best wishes on making a quick decision.
AJ
AJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2014, 21:41   #627
KMT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadFiend View Post
That matches my profile to the T! I've driven the Fortuner AT (only) to work for more than a year now. I can provide feedback. My ownership report is still languishing in the Assembly Line section. Let me see if I can bolster it sufficiently to merit a promotion to the Ownership Reviews section. Till then, here's a teaser - I used to have a sedan for years, prior to the Fortuner, and the Fortuner is easier to drive to work in the heavy Bangalore traffic.

Hi Road Fiend
Could you tell me your FE figures for Bangalore traffic?
Went to two dealers in BLR today and both said that the Autobox gives 7-8 kmpl.
This is less than what Mumbai forum members get.

Thank you
Old 20th May 2014, 23:05   #628
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Road Fiend

Thank you
This July I will complete 1 year with Simba (my Fortuner AT). I have done nearly 20900 till now. Detailed report will come in sometime. I drive between Delhi and Gurgaon. Having an automatic is a blessing when you crawl through traffic. I have not done a measurement based on fuel / meter reading but from the vehicle display it is 11.6 km/l.
Traveller Nayak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014, 20:16   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Road Fiend

Thank you
KMT - The traffic profile really matters. Half of my commute is crawling traffic and the other half is along broken (but empty) roads (Logica-CMG to EGL behind the Old Airport). I get 8.2 (I track fuel purchases, fulltank-to-fulltank method). When I use the main roads only, instead of the broken (but empty) I get 7.35. I was surprised to see such a difference.
RoadFiend is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2014, 13:53   #630
BHPian

Just read the following:
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ar-386226.aspx

Any confirmed updates from anyone on an automatic 4x4?
TorquePeedo is offline   Reply With Quote