Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 15th October 2014, 19:27   #646
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post
Is it possible to get the dealer to show you when the vehicle arrived, so as to avoid taking one with an older manufacturing date?
Yes it is very much possible. You are entitled to do a full PDI yourself before parting ways with your money and letting them register the vehicle. Also ask them for the VIN of the vehicle and that will tell you when it was manufactured.

Having said that Fortuner is still selling like hot cakes and hence the chances of the dealer passing you a old vehicle are pretty slim. Nevertheless do both the things mentioned above before signing on any document.

Please go through the following links:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...heck-list.html (ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List)

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...cture-vin.html (ARTICLE: Find your car's date of manufacture (VIN))

Last edited by drmohitg : 15th October 2014 at 19:29.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2014, 22:01   #647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadadhar View Post
What are the 4 forward options meant for in the auto fortoner, I read L is for keeping the vehicle engaged in First Gear, not sure on the other options. Does it have something similar to Sports Mode like in BM..
The 4 forward options limit the gearbox to shift only till that gear. For eg. if you slot the car in 3 it will shift upto 3rd gear and stay there only without shifting to 4th or 5th.No Sports mode or triptronic.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2014, 22:35   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Yes it is very much possible. You are entitled to do a full PDI yourself before parting ways with your money and letting them register the vehicle. Also ask them for the VIN of the vehicle and that will tell you when it was manufactured.
Hi, Is it possible to do a PDI with just the booking amount paid ? If the dealer says a vehicle is ready for assignment will the dealer allow to do a PDI before making the balance payment ?
ssateesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 11:05   #649
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssateesh View Post
Hi, Is it possible to do a PDI with just the booking amount paid ? If the dealer says a vehicle is ready for assignment will the dealer allow to do a PDI before making the balance payment ?
Yes it is very much possible. Even if they insist on full payment then make sure the vehicle is not sent to RTO for registration before you have done a PDI yourself. Get it in writing from the dealership that vehicle is not to be sent for registration till you do a PDI. It is all about persistence on your part. Any resistance from the dealer can be dealt with by involving Toyota directly.
drmohitg is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2014, 19:56   #650
BHPian

Automatic owners, what fuel consumption are getting? Prospective owner here. Thanks.
wannabelean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2014, 22:03   #651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabelean View Post
Automatic owners, what fuel consumption are getting? Prospective owner here. Thanks.
Mine turned 1 year this July. We have done 35000. I haven't done the proper measure but the vehicle display records the average at 11.1. My drive is mostly city. Occasionally highway. Recently 3500 kms for the Ladakh drive. Hope this helps.
Traveller Nayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2014, 06:57   #652
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller Nayak View Post
Mine turned 1 year this July. We have done 35000. I haven't done the proper measure but the vehicle display records the average at 11.1. My drive is mostly city. Occasionally highway. Recently 3500 kms for the Ladakh drive. Hope this helps.
Cool. Thank you!

Another question... I always keep reading and people around saying that the Fortuner has unsettling ride quality and that the suspension is too bumpy. This is specific to India. Why is that? The fortuner has been a best seller in every part of the world and it still continues to enjoy a great run. If the above two issues are serious, how did they go ignored?
wannabelean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2014, 22:49   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Cool. Thank you!

Another question... I always keep reading and people around saying that the Fortuner has unsettling ride quality and that the suspension is too bumpy. This is specific to India. Why is that? The fortuner has been a best seller in every part of the world and it still continues to enjoy a great run. If the above two issues are serious, how did they go ignored?
I too am very keen to buy the AT Fortuner! I have TD it twice and cant seem to make up my mind. It has everything going for it except the ride quality which was bumpy and far from any "luxury" experience. The TD car I drove had only 100kms on it so cant really blame poor maintenance. Will a change in tyres help? Any other trick to improve this without voiding the warranty? Any chance Toyota will make any alterations to this one and possibly only gripe - or will this happen only with the 2016 model?
ABbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2014, 23:07   #654
BHPian

Quote:
Cool. Thank you!

For me, I moved to Fortuner from an Ikon which i brought in 2003. I would say the suspension could be improved; re unsettling ride quality - I haven't felt that way. This includes the recent drive to Ladakh, including to the Zanskar valley. The vehicle simply did a terrific job. But then I have known folks who settled for a A4-6 or Q3 or a 5 series as they too found the suspension to be an issue. Santa Fe could be another option. Good luck with your search!
Traveller Nayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2014, 05:25   #655
BHPian

The Pajero Sport has a better suspension than the Fortuner. There is a huge difference in the ride quality especially on small and medium road craters, whereas the Fortuner is bumpy, the PS has that glide magic carpet factor. Do test drive both back to back to get a first hand experience. Cheers !
princey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2014, 23:00   #656
BHPian

Took delivery of 4x4 MT earlier this week after waiting almost a month-and-half! Will drive around and feel its 'pulse' and hopefully will post an ownership review soon.

Last edited by kkdelhi : 31st October 2014 at 23:05.
kkdelhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 21:47   #657
BHPian

Hi
I know I was dead against the fortuner AT model but after going through various options I decided to go and book it on Monday at Grace Toyota in Moti Nagar Delhi. Now again a big dillema comes up as I was only looking at AT models and a budget of 25L, Rexton was meeting my criteria but felt Fortuner was a more value for money even though it was 2 L above budget. With Pajero sport AT being launched there are no reviews but a lot of people in this forum consider the Pajero sport a better vehicle. I am only worried about the ASS of the Pajero. Kindly help.
gmalik30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2014, 23:35   #658
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmalik30 View Post
Hi
Kindly help.

Mitsubishi dealerships and workshops and aftersales have still along way to go before they match Toyota's standards.
This is from my personal experience with dealerships in Chandigarh.
IMHO when you are plonking 25 big ones and are hell bent on SUV , T-Fort is the most sought option considering it has well sought after dealerships, aftersales and is well known for reliability.

If you want to be exclusive then Mitsubishi is the next and only choice.
There is denying the fact that it follows dakar rally heritage.
But make sure you visit the dealership and service station first and take first hand account of services offered by them.Last thing you want is to be caught unaware by the "totally un interested" dealer.

Happy shopping!
ishlinea7260 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 10:20   #659
BHPian

Thank you so much ishlinea for your reply and advice but when you say if you are hell bent on buying an SUV....Do I have other options in Sedans I was only looking at automatic and there were a few options like corolla, VW, Octavia, Superb....if I am spending 20-21 big bucks...why not an additional 5 and get a SUV. I was and had almost paid downpayment of Rexton but backed out at the last minute as they increased the pricing and the attitude of the sales person. If a sales person of MM is like this not intrsted to sell..how can I trust the ASS.?
gmalik30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2014, 13:05   #660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmalik30 View Post
Thank you so much ishlinea for your reply and advice but when you say if you are hell bent on buying an SUV....Do I have other options in Sedans I was only looking at automatic and there were a few options like corolla, VW, Octavia, Superb....if I am spending 20-21 big bucks...why not an additional 5 and get a SUV. I was and had almost paid downpayment of Rexton but backed out at the last minute as they increased the pricing and the attitude of the sales person. If a sales person of MM is like this not intrsted to sell..how can I trust the ASS.?
For the amount you are willing to spend go for a Fortuner, which will give you a long term peace of mind in terms of ownership and after sales support which is one of the best in India.

Pajero Sport is a good vehicle but given the number of outlets the support spread is limited.

Rexton, I am not sure but will let the sales figures speak to itself, and the M&M after sales service is mediocre by any standards (I can vouch for the fact after having a Scorpio since last 6 years)
m_upreti is offline   Reply With Quote