Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 3rd March 2015, 12:27   #691

Default Re: New Toyota Fortuner's Music System Hangs while playing USB's

I have read your ownership review and I must say its really informative ahmed! Coming back to the issue I have lodged a complaint with Toyota and have been given a number as well but even they have forgotten about it I think lol! Also I wanted to know have you experienced any juddering from the brakes after a session of spirited driving? I have covered around 25000 kms on brutus since I usually use him for cross country trips and had a scary experience on my recent trip to mcleodganj where some quick bursts to make up time saw heavy use of brakes and then they started juddering! I have been running brutus on stock tyres but have installed plati chrome 6 spoke alloys which provide greater cooling to the pads for sure but the dealer says the brake pads have worn out and shall have to be changed at the 30 km service! I mean I have a trusted crv which has done around 80000 kms and its brake pads need no change at such an interval! I guess its more to do with the absolute lack of engine braking in the fortuner which can get a bit scary as I experienced on my drive to Manali recently!
Benipal0006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2015, 16:00   #692

Default re: Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)

I would like to thank all the members who provided their valuable inputs through this thread. I got my pearl white beast in December, I have been quite busy since then. Will post my ownership review soon. Lots of love
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)-img20141217wa0009.jpg  

kraken is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2015, 17:01   #693
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: New Toyota Fortuner's Music System Hangs while playing USB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipal0006 View Post
I mean I have a trusted crv which has done around 80000 kms and its brake pads need no change at such an interval! I guess its more to do with the absolute lack of engine braking in the fortuner which can get a bit scary as I experienced on my drive to Manali recently!
I have a 4x4 version. I have changed brake pads once in 85K km. But I do try to avoid hard braking unless I have to.

The Fortuner has pretty decent engine braking on 1st and 2nd gears. Can you elaborate on your zero engine braking statement?
nilanjanray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2015, 18:20   #694

I have an automatic one nilanjan so was referring to that! Toyota in the interest of fuel economy has programmed the fortuner auto to completely disengage the gearbox when you lift off from the accelerator pedal! This according to me also leads to more brake wear as the entire load shifts to the brakes to stop the vehicle specially in the hills.
Old 3rd March 2015, 19:14   #695
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have an automatic one nilanjan so was referring to that! Toyota in the interest of fuel economy has programmed the fortuner auto to completely disengage the gearbox when you lift off from the accelerator pedal! This according to me also leads to more brake wear as the entire load shifts to the brakes to stop the vehicle specially in the hills.
This is VERY annoying. The Endeavour automatic transmission does exact this too. Not only does it not provide engine braking but it also makes the engine much noisier especially on the highways as you have to build up the revs to come back to highway cruising speeds.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2015, 22:26   #696
KMT
BHPian

I too am facing the juddering problem while braking at speeds between 80 -100kph. My 2wd AT has run 27k kms.
Based on past experience I believe that the front rotors are warped and will need to be skimmed.
Please let me know what your problem is diagonised as.
KMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2015, 12:14   #697

Like I said KMT, my FNM diagnosed the issue as worn out front disc pads which would be replaced on the next service. Till the time you reach the 30 k mark I suggest you drive the way I do, that is avoid quick bursts which require extra use of the brakes and keep the speeds below 80 or so. Apart from being safer, it will also prevent the juddering till you change the disc brake pads!
Old 11th March 2015, 12:07   #698

Quick update on the stereo problem on brutus! So went to the Toyota dealership to get the usb reader jack changed under warranty and to my utter dismay, as soon as the new jack was installed the system crashed completely and refused to switch on. After a few minutes it did come on again but the same hanging problem while playing usb's surfaced. Fed up after six or so visits to the dealership I decided to ask them to change the whole AVN unit itself. However, when a replacement unit was installed it worked perfectly for half and hour and then BAM! It started hanging too. The technicians then installed my stereo in another new Fortuner and it worked like a charm.

Fed up after spending the whole afternoon I reluctantly left brutus at the workshop for them to sort out the issue once and for all. In the evening I get a call from the service manager informing me that they had disconnected all connections of my DRL lights and the system was working perfectly from that onwards. Although I still had my doubts, I went and picked up my beloved brutus from the workshop and thankfully the issue hasn't surfaced yet (touchwood).

But the thing that baffles me no end is that I had made sure the wiring for the DRL's was done without cutting any original wiring and a separate wire was installed from the battery to the switch. Can I still interfere with the system is something I cant understand. answers anyone?
Old 23rd March 2015, 18:48   #699

ok so the same problem with Brutus's music system emerged after disconnecting the DRL's too. Don't know what the issue is but even Toyota doesn't seem to know!!!!!
Old 9th June 2015, 01:19   #700

Hello mateys!

Could anybody suggest a good place (not cut throat and quality products & service) for some mods on the fortuner for TRD bumpers(replica with good quality also will do), smoked head lamps(HiFi for dual projectors,smoked tail lamps. Also looking forward to changing the tires to balloon radials.

Mods: It's been quite long since I visited the forum. So if there is any related thread, I would really appreciate if you move my query.

Many Thanks!!
roaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 12:35   #701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
I too am facing the juddering problem while braking at speeds between 80 -100kph. My 2wd AT has run 27k kms.
Based on past experience I believe that the front rotors are warped and will need to be skimmed.
Please let me know what your problem is diagonised as.
My AT 2WD got its rotors skimmed at 20k kms service for brakes juddering, Now at 24k kms juddering is back again. This time i will go for rotors plus brake pads replacement and see how it holds.
Power Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 12:46   #702
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
I too am facing the juddering problem while braking
Quote:
juddering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Freak View Post
juddering is back again.
I'd request detailed description of what juddering sounds\feels like. I have a Fortuner AT. If I reach a speed-breaker at high speed and brake sharply just after the front wheels cross it; then the brakes make a clattering sound and seem disengaged for a few seconds (there's an accompanying sound of something metal rubbing with something else metal). This phenomenon also repeats when driving at high speed over potholed roads. Since I rarely drive at speed (live at Bangalore), so I rarely encounter this though. Is this what you are calling juddering?
RoadFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 12:46   #703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken View Post
I would like to thank all the members who provided their valuable inputs through this thread. I got my pearl white beast in December, I have been quite busy since then. Will post my ownership review soon. Lots of love
Congratulations !
Was there any recent facelift ?
If so, Why does a Fortuner looks like a Chinese Scorpio/XUV combination ?
kaviprem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 12:59   #704
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadFiend View Post
I'd request detailed description of what juddering sounds\feels like. I have a Fortuner AT. If I reach a speed-breaker at high speed and brake sharply just after the front wheels cross it; then the brakes make a clattering sound and seem disengaged for a few seconds (there's an accompanying sound of something metal rubbing with something else metal). This phenomenon also repeats when driving at high speed over potholed roads. Since I rarely drive at speed (live at Bangalore), so I rarely encounter this though. Is this what you are calling juddering?
What you are talking about is ABS, since there is a loss of traction in both the situations you described. Juddering is when you can feel vibrations in the steering wheel, or even through the rest of the car while braking (depending on how severe the juddering is). This would generally happen above 100kmph and would indicate the brake discs are warped.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2015, 14:32   #705

Smile re: Review: 2011 Toyota Fortuner 4x2 (MT & AT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Congratulations !
Was there any recent facelift ?
If so, Why does a Fortuner looks like a Chinese Scorpio/XUV combination ?
I had a Prado Grille fitted. Plus its the TRD Sportivo model. And answering to your question, there was indeed a facelift. Some notable changes are introduction of a 2.5 litre engine in the Fortuner range (TRD now available only in 2.5) black/ grey aloys, inclusion of GPS in the head unit, fog lamp bezel changes and black interiors and black leather seats. And yes they've hiked the price. 2.5 costs as much as the old 3.0 2wd TRD
kraken is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote