Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 8th May 2012, 16:31   #91
BHPian

Default Re: The new Skoda Fabia 1.6 comes home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_jg View Post
My 1.6 Fabia shows 7l/100kms reading on the MDI, sometimes drops to 6/100, that's approx 13-14 kmpl. In the city I drive sedately since the engine is very refined. Driving that way achieves a couple of things-safe driving within city limits, good fuel economy.
I do rip sometimes & the MDI shows 8-9l consumed per 100kms.
Unfortunately, my biwi banged the car last week into an Innova, front bumper is cracked, right head lamp is cracked, bonnet is rogered shut. Fortunately, there are no mechanical or structural damages, & overall we had availed the 0% dep insurance.
It's been a week in the workshop, but Skoda India has loads of issues to resolve within themselves & their 3rd party vendors.
Will post more as things progress.
Sorry to hear about the accident.

But you will appreciate that its a safe car.

Rest would be taken care by the Zero Dep. insurance cover.
deepfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 18:20   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
T
It took Skoda an entire day to arrange a flat-bed truck to pickup our car. They have no communication between their 3rd party vendors & there's a complete lack of responsibility. Finally, there was one sane fellow on the helpline we called & he got everything arranged.
Sad to hear about the accident, but relieved to know that you have zero depreciation insurance. Is there any estimate given by the workshop?
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 18:55   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately, my biwi banged the car last week into an Innova, front bumper is cracked, right head lamp is cracked, bonnet is rogered shut. Fortunately, there are no mechanical or structural damages, & overall we had availed the 0% dep insurance.
It's been a week in the workshop, but Skoda India has loads of issues to resolve within themselves & their 3rd party vendors.
Will post more as things progress.
Sorry about the accident.. but these things do happen and the important thing is to have the car protect the occupant at the time of impact.

Why has it taken a week to get the repair going? My car had a similar accident. The bonnet, headlights and front bumper were replaced and side panels straightened within four days. It took about three days for the workshop to get the replacement parts arranged. But I could still use car in the meantime, with a defaced bonnet though.

Great that you have Zero Dep. It should take care of all expenses.

Quote:
It took Skoda an entire day to arrange a flat-bed truck to pickup our car.
Why did you need flat bed trailer? Was the car not in a position to be driven?

All the best with the repairs.
rajcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 20:35   #94
Senior - BHPian

, i dont think they , in general , have too great a sense of humor when it comes to husbands and cars! Glad all is well.

I wanted to ask the same thing - why a flatbed , assuming you just wanted to play it safe and not drive it in that condition even though it could have been?

Quote:
Thanks buddy, yeah my wife is fine, the first thing I checked when she reached home was her FACE-for traces of any powder like material if the air bags were deployed...it was a joke, but she wasn't amused..grrrr
puchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 11:18   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
, i dont think they , in general , have too great a sense of humor when it comes to husbands and cars! Glad all is well.

I wanted to ask the same thing - why a flatbed , assuming you just wanted to play it safe and not drive it in that condition even though it could have been?
Thanks buddy. The accident happened sometime at 6pm & it was too late by the time the claim was registered & we spoke to the Skoda guys.
I had office the next day & my wife was pretty shaken up to drive to the workshop, so we asked for the pickup truck.
Another reason being, we had availed the 24x7 road assist program by paying extra cash during delivery, might as well make use of the facility.
mb_jg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 15:43   #96
BHPian

Quote:
It's funny, cause we have availed the 24hr road assist package which includes car pickup , & even accommodation in a nearby hotel etc. Come to think of it, how on earth are these people going to deliver these services outside the city if they can't do it within city limits itself!!! Great products, but really funny people these are!!!
A lot of these can come with an * - within city limits only
fi.robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2012, 17:39   #97
Senior - BHPian

i dont know if this is in my head - while driving out for a meeting today at about 3 , in bright sunlight , i happened to look down at the MDI and noticed that the green backlight appeared to be a bit dark - the numbers were visible but if i am not mistaken the light is bright enough even during the middle of the day to be able to know that its green - in this case it looked more like black numbers against a grey background ( grey because the green light was simply not coming through)

will double check tomorrow and also look it up in the manual just in case.

Anyone else faced something like this?
Old 10th May 2012, 18:30   #98
BHPian

Quote:
i dont know if this is in my head - while driving out for a meeting today at about 3 , in bright sunlight , i happened to look down at the MDI and noticed that the green backlight appeared to be a bit dark - the numbers were visible but if i am not mistaken the light is bright enough even during the middle of the day to be able to know that its green - in this case it looked more like black numbers against a grey background ( grey because the green light was simply not coming through)

will double check tomorrow and also look it up in the manual just in case.

Anyone else faced something like this?
It's completely normal, just the way the angle of light is deflected over the MDI panel makes you see a different backdrop. I have noticed this too.
The important thing being that you can view the numbers without straining your eyes. Otherwise nothing to worry about.
mb_jg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 12:02   #99
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a ton for the response , much more relaxed about it. I took the car out today morning and kept watching it and it is as you described it.

Quote:
It's completely normal, just the way the angle of light is deflected over the MDI panel makes you see a different backdrop. I have noticed this too.
The important thing being that you can view the numbers without straining your eyes. Otherwise nothing to worry about.
Old 2nd July 2012, 11:39   #100
Senior - BHPian

Ah , finally an issue reflecting Skoda's dealership quality hits me

I had to remove , myself , both the front mudguards from the car yesterday. The reason being that the outer extreme edges had curled inwards and were resting on the tyres , the left one was so bad that it had folded over on itself and was nicely stuck onto the tyre.

I noticed this a few days back , every time i turned the wheels to take a turn i used to hear a noise and on the second day i finally checked and noticed this issue. So bad was the friction build up and the rubbing that the engraving which is present on the guards ( Which says FABIA) was completely worn down - like someone took sanding paper to it , at one point the rubber had become so thin that all it took was a poke to break your finger through to the other side.

Reason for this - the mudguards are installed by placing 3 screws - the dealership in my case put only 2 thus not providing any 'hold' to the outer edge - they did this in both the mudguards - the rear ones have the same problem but are not folding so far.

Careless mistake , the tyres and treads themselves are perfectly fine - no damage that i can see visibly.

And upon discovering the missing third screws the other thing which struck me was that the mudguards appeared to be too short anyway to align the holes - which is surprising given that these are ( or i assumed incorrectly) original mudflaps ?

Have kept the mudguards for now as proof in case i wish to raise a fuss on this , guess at the least they should offer a new set?
Old 3rd July 2012, 08:11   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Have kept the mudguards for now as proof in case i wish to raise a fuss on this , guess at the least they should offer a new set?
My honest advice would be to stay away from those dealer-provided mudflaps. They suck at quality. The OEM flaps for Fabia can be purchased for a premium price, not sure how much exactly after the price revision. They look classier and should not cause such trouble.
mempheS.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 10:43   #102
Senior - BHPian

I thought the ones i had been given would have been the OEM flaps. They had FABIA written on it with additional instructions on which one is the right/left one - ofcourse i could be totally wrong and these could not be OEM , any image reference for OEM flaps? - attaching an image which will give you an idea of the ones i have right now from my earlier photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
My honest advice would be to stay away from those dealer-provided mudflaps. They suck at quality. The OEM flaps for Fabia can be purchased for a premium price, not sure how much exactly after the price revision. They look classier and should not cause such trouble.
Attached Thumbnails
The new Skoda Fabia 1.6 comes home!-picture17.jpg  

Old 4th July 2012, 07:38   #103
BHPian

Quote:
I thought the ones i had been given would have been the OEM flaps. They had FABIA written on it with additional instructions on which one is the right/left one -
Exactly what I thought too at first until a friend who was driving behind my car observed and asked, "what the heck do you have hanging down there as flaps with Fabia written on the flap in white???"... the OEM flaps look like this one below. Pulled this pic off the internet but that's exactly it.
Name:  rmudflap1.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  120.9 KB
Old 4th July 2012, 11:24   #104
Senior - BHPian

1Thanks so much mempheS.D! clearly what is have is very very different and possibly why they were not aligning etc.

The car does not look bad without the mudguards though either! barely notice that the front ones are not there.
Old 10th July 2012, 14:30   #105
BHPian

Quote:
1Thanks so much mempheS.D! clearly what is have is very very different and possibly why they were not aligning etc.

The car does not look bad without the mudguards though either! barely notice that the front ones are not there.
I do not know whether you have changed the flaps yet. Ironically, I had to - last weekend. I made a trip there to the service center to check on the status of an order for a front armrest that I had raised with them almost 2 weeks ago.

Just when I reached the service center, the left front mudflap decided to give away. The decision was instant. Replace all four. While watching the job done carefully, I realize that the flaps that were on were all need one screw lesser than what the OEm ones needed. The fit is perfect now. Although it set me back by about 1200rs. I could have done it myself and saved on the labour charge of 400rs had I been a little more patient while making that decision.