Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2013, 22:39   #241
Distinguished - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 7,864
Thanked: 4,922 Times
Default Re: The Silver LittleBigFoot and a Skoda Yeti New Year 2012

I ve downloaded sygic maps on the iPhone
will handle any GPS related stuff through this route instead of investing in one more device.
I ve given away my Garmin Nuvi 215W to my Dad - he's very pleased with it.
When I go out of the country I will simply rent a local TomTom along with the rental vehicle or whatever and keep going...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyboy View Post
Good option Shankar.. I went the Garmin way.. got myself 2565M. Does Bluetooth function + GPS. Only thing I miss now is ability to play music from a thumbdrive/SD ( I have the Ambition trim). I suppose I will have to live with burning CDs for rest of my ownership time. There is no way I am going to let anybody touch Yeti electricals.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 06:11   #242
BHPian
 
Sunilrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 764
Thanked: 534 Times
Default Re: The Silver LittleBigFoot and a Skoda Yeti New Year 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This solution may not be as great as the integrated bluetooth for the Yeti but I prefer this to having some ham handed mechanic with s spade-like butter fingers messing about with my beautiful Yeti's internal fiddlybits...
Shankar what if the Mechanic was me ?? i have done about 6 Bluetooth Fitments, 8 Auto headlamp Fitments, 3 Wheel Arch Kit Fitments for Yeti's and Laura's!
Sunilrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 07:08   #243
Distinguished - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 7,864
Thanked: 4,922 Times
Default Re: The Silver LittleBigFoot and a Skoda Yeti New Year 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
Shankar what if the Mechanic was me ?? i have done about 6 Bluetooth Fitments, 8 Auto headlamp Fitments, 3 Wheel Arch Kit Fitments for Yeti's and Laura's!
Thats cool but you're in Mangalore and I m too lazy to drive there to get these things fitted up.
Actually the only thing that I am toying with is that Wheel Arch Kit fitment - but your stories about the special glue etc really put me off.
Additionally, I am always slightly concerned about how true and strong these extra rubberized plastic thingys actually are - the wheel arch area is a potentially problem prone one because of sometimes water seepage in between the rubberized material and the actual metal of the body etc.
Again this may be a misconception but I ve seen it happen in some Scorpios and hence never really wanted the versions which came with cladding on the side.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 07:35   #244
BHPian
 
Sunilrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 764
Thanked: 534 Times
Default Re: The Silver LittleBigFoot and a Skoda Yeti New Year 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Thats cool but you're in Mangalore and I m too lazy to drive there to get these things fitted up.
Actually the only thing that I am toying with is that Wheel Arch Kit fitment - but your stories about the special glue etc really put me off.
Additionally, I am always slightly concerned about how true and strong these extra rubberized plastic thingys actually are - the wheel arch area is a potentially problem prone one because of sometimes water seepage in between the rubberized material and the actual metal of the body etc.
Again this may be a misconception but I ve seen it happen in some Scorpios and hence never really wanted the versions which came with cladding on the side.
SB Mangalore is Just 350 Kms or 6 Hours away! you could have a holiday and we could have a drink or two!


The Wheel arch Kit is a good Accessory provided the Fitment Instructions given in the package are followed. The Elch Technik P1 Glue and Elch Technik Primer are available with Skoda India. The dealership needs to Buy atleast 4 Tubes of the Glue and 3 Bottles of the Primer, without even having a slightest intention of being Miserly during application. and most importantly the dealership should not use its intelligence to use other sealants.

The Wheel arch Trim kit is made of Poly propelyne and has a rubberised texture like on your bumpers and Not ABS plastic. it can take quite a few impacts in its stride which include stone hits, bikers scraping past without breaking or deforming. i did a test initially when the kits came by folding one trim and it was fully malleable.

The glue Per se is rubberised and once applied and Cured cannot be Pealed off, even if its on your hands. The Glue is waterproof and needs to be applied on the entire cladding and not only on its peripheries as mentioned in the instruction sheet, since the instruction sheet is meant for european Countries. Once applied you can drive out in 4 Hours and it gets cured in 48 -72 Hours. Thereafter even the harshest Water Jets cannot get it apart. Its been about 6 months since i had fitted these and i wash the car once a week with a pressurised jet and its in the hot sun for 5-6 hours. if its lasted this long, it will last very very long.

in the scorpios the cladding is fixed with clips and hence water goes into the cladding whereas in this case the entire covered portion becomes waterproof.

Last edited by Sunilrj : 10th January 2013 at 07:37.
Sunilrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 07:38   #245
Distinguished - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 7,864
Thanked: 4,922 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post

SB Mangalore is Just 350 Kms or 6 Hours away! you could have a holiday and we could have a drink or two!

The Wheel arch Kit is a good Accessory provided the Fitment Instructions given in the package are followed. The Elch Technik P1 Glue and Elch
in the scorpios the cladding is fixed with clips and hence water goes into the cladding whereas in this case the entire covered portion becomes waterproof.
Yes. Good point. Maybe I should invite you here instead!
Or exchange Silver Yetis for a few days and get you to do this for me...
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 07:41   #246
BHPian
 
Sunilrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 764
Thanked: 534 Times
Default Re: The Silver LittleBigFoot and a Skoda Yeti New Year 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyboy View Post
Good option Shankar.. I went the Garmin way.. got myself 2565M. Does Bluetooth function + GPS. Only thing I miss now is ability to play music from a thumbdrive/SD ( I have the Ambition trim). I suppose I will have to live with burning CDs for rest of my ownership time. There is no way I am going to let anybody touch Yeti electricals.
This again will be a back to back post without using multiquote and i apologise for this as i had not noticed this post.

you can upgrade to a Skoda Bolero System without messing with electricals, though you may not get the Tracks displayed on the MFD. New / Barely used Boleros are available along with the Dash trims for as low as 17K on Ebay.co.uk (including shipping). Once fixed, you can get Bluetooth, MDI/Ipod Compatibility as well as ability to play SD cards.

This upgrade is possible as the Skoda India Accessory Brochure provides this as an accessory at a whopping 70K
Sunilrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 07:43   #247
BHPian
 
Sunilrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 764
Thanked: 534 Times
Default Re: The Silver LittleBigFoot and a Skoda Yeti New Year 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Yes. Good point. Maybe I should invite you here instead!
Or exchange Silver Yetis for a few days and get you to do this for me...
Am game to Come down to Bangalore. I would need access to a workshop, a couple of Helpers, surgical Spirit, the Glue and Primer, some clips and duct tape and a dust free work area

Exchange of Silver yetis is also fine, but then the 350Kms one way will remain!

and this post is my 600Th!
Sunilrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 07:46   #248
Distinguished - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 7,864
Thanked: 4,922 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post

Am game to Come down to Bangalore. I would need access to a workshop, a couple of Helpers, surgical Spirit, the Glue and Primer, some clips and duct tape and a dust free work area

Exchange of Silver yetis is also fine, but then the 350Kms one way will remain!

and this post is my 600Th!
The 3M guys where I live, will probably lend us some space for a while, to get this cladding work done...
But seriously do you have access to such a space in Mangalore? And is the cladding kit freely available along with glue etc?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 10th January 2013 at 07:47.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 08:28   #249
BHPian
 
Sunilrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 764
Thanked: 534 Times
Default Re: The Silver LittleBigFoot and a Skoda Yeti New Year 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The 3M guys where I live, will probably lend us some space for a while, to get this cladding work done...
But seriously do you have access to such a space in Mangalore? And is the cladding kit freely available along with glue etc?
The Place where the A.S.S in Mangalore is located is in a residential locality with lush greenery. about 2-3 vehicles moves on this road every hour. so it is relatively dust free. though i used their pre-paint area which is fully dust free to do the fitment.

The Wheel arch kits + glue and primer are available freely with the Skoda Dealerships. At the Most a Order period of 3 days.
Sunilrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 12:00   #250
BHPian
 
xplorauto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 51
Thanked: 27 Times
Default Re: The Silver LittleBigFoot and a Skoda Yeti New Year 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This solution may not be as great as the integrated bluetooth for the Yeti but I prefer this to having some ham handed mechanic with s spade-like butter fingers messing about with my beautiful Yeti's internal fiddlybits...
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyboy View Post
There is no way I am going to let anybody touch Yeti electricals.
I realize how we love our Yeti's, but 'calculated risk taking' is perhaps the more prudent alternative in such things. Back this up with a practice of 'trust but verify' at the service centers and you would probably start enjoying the dividends early without giving up much of that peace of mind.

That's what I did and got the benefits too. I wasn't the first mover maverick in any of these augmentations on my Yeti. So:
  • Patiently waited for the feedback to pour in from all those who've been there done that.
  • Ordered the parts online from the most trust worthy of vendors as per recommendations.
  • Prepared a cookbook from the information available on the forum as well as from numerous phone calls with Sunil and others.
  • Took it to the A.S.S for a feasibility and an appointment. The A.S.S. of Vinayak Skoda willingly obliged to give me a time on one of the off-peak days.
  • Stood alongside Anto, their service engineer, in the workshop and did a step by step rehearsal with phone support from SunlRJ.
  • Anto, took special care by wearing a anti-static and anti-stain gloves. He also used the right tools. No cutting, no splicing. A clean job with no scratches or dings. Everything fitted back in snug and tight
  • Prayed for a while before committing the long-codes in VAS. Kept my fingers crossed while the changes were taking effect and voilą everything began working like a charm...
  • All upgrades were put on record, billed and warranty provided by the A.S.S.

Have been enjoying OEM quality upgrades ever since along with the satisfaction of having done it in a A.S.S without risk of violating the extended warranty. A lot of things can get done in this country by building a rapport with the folks who matter. But then as the Americans rightly say..one has to TRUST BUT VERIFY.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
Am game to Come down to Bangalore. I would need access to a workshop, a couple of Helpers, surgical Spirit, the Glue and Primer, some clips and duct tape and a dust free work area
Welcome in advance to Bangalore Sunil, would be great to meet you in person. Owe you a dinner at least for all the help. Much appreciated indeed

Last edited by xplorauto : 10th January 2013 at 12:06.
xplorauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 12:06   #251
Distinguished - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 7,864
Thanked: 4,922 Times
Default Re: The Silver LittleBigFoot and a Skoda Yeti New Year 2012

I take my hat off to yours and Sunil's immense patience in getting these things done.
Maybe sometime, I will take a leaf out of your books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorauto View Post
ore prudent alternative in such things. Back this up with a practice of 'trust but verify' at the service centers and you would probably start enjoying the dividends early without giving up much of that peace of mind.

Welcome in advance to Bangalore Sunil, would be great to meet you in person. Owe you a dinner at least for all the help. Much appreciated indeed
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 13:34   #252
Senior - BHPian
 
iTNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Imphal/Noida
Posts: 1,056
Thanked: 441 Times
Default Re: The Silver LittleBigFoot and a Skoda Yeti New Year 2012

@SB, the wheel arc plastic is very tough indeed and I used the glue/paste that was mentioned in the instruction. And the fitting is very OEM look. But don't just buy it in the hope of having a better road presence (because the claddings are not that wide or bulging).
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 15:42   #253
BHPian
 
abbey4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 436
Thanked: 100 Times
Default Re: The Silver LittleBigFoot and a Skoda Yeti New Year 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
@SB, the wheel arc plastic is very tough indeed and I used the glue/paste that was mentioned in the instruction. And the fitting is very OEM look. But don't just buy it in the hope of having a better road presence (because the claddings are not that wide or bulging).
did you do it as DIY or went to ASS? I just ordered wheel arch extension from nawab today
abbey4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 16:07   #254
BHPian
 
Sunilrj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mangalore
Posts: 764
Thanked: 534 Times
Default Re: The Silver LittleBigFoot and a Skoda Yeti New Year 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorauto View Post
Have been enjoying OEM quality upgrades ever since along with the satisfaction of having done it in a A.S.S without risk of violating the extended warranty. A lot of things can get done in this country by building a rapport with the folks who matter. But then as the Americans rightly say..one has to TRUST BUT VERIFY.




Welcome in advance to Bangalore Sunil, would be great to meet you in person. Owe you a dinner at least for all the help. Much appreciated indeed

The Fitment of OEM Accessories, not available in the SAIPL Basket was unchartered Territory for S.A.S.S's. Vinayaka was Bold enough to take the plunge and do the fitments and rake in quite a lot of Moolah. Tafe has been conservative, but i am told the Bangalore Workshop is keen to take the plunge. Secondly if the A.S.S. knows that you stand by your knowledge and show them the way, like i had done with Anto regarding the BT Programming in the CAN Gateway and Autolamps Programming in the Central Electronics Module, The A.S.S. will Trust you and do your Jobs in a More professional Manner

Thanks for the Invite Soham! Thanks for the appreciation. My belief is that if you have some knowledge that can be put to common good then such knowledge should be shared, not only among the owners but also the A.S.S since the A.S.S. would be reaching out to quite a lot of people. Since i had invested in the ELSA, ETKA, VCDS and have been regularly playing around with it, i myself gained quite a few new insights into the working of Skoda Cars.




Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I take my hat off to yours and Sunil's immense patience in getting these things done.
Maybe sometime, I will take a leaf out of your books.
Shankar, More than the patience it was the knowledge gained. i can confidently say that i can now attend to 50% of issues in Skoda Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
@SB, the wheel arc plastic is very tough indeed and I used the glue/paste that was mentioned in the instruction. And the fitting is very OEM look. But don't just buy it in the hope of having a better road presence (because the claddings are not that wide or bulging).
Right! Wheel Arch Claddings increase the Width of the vehicle by less than half a centimetre. Basically they are for Cosmetic Enhancement and protection of the Bulges of the wheel arcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
did you do it as DIY or went to ASS? I just ordered wheel arch extension from nawab today
it is DIY provided you are confident enough and have a steady hand. a slight misalignment can be fatal as the glue cannot be removed after about 5-10 minutes of application. Also you need to have one or two assistants to hold the part in place, while you apply the duct tapes for curing purposes.
Sunilrj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 16:53   #255
Senior - BHPian
 
iTNerd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Imphal/Noida
Posts: 1,056
Thanked: 441 Times
Default Re: The Silver LittleBigFoot and a Skoda Yeti New Year 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
did you do it as DIY or went to ASS? I just ordered wheel arch extension from nawab today
From A.S.S (Jai Auto, Mathura Road). I had to leave the car for one night at the workshop. Labour charge around 3K (all inclusive - installation for wheel arc install, twin chrome tip, side-step garnish panels). For me, it took a month for Jai Auto to source the parts. How long do Nawab stated you for the arrival of the parts?

My 7500 kms check was awful at Jai, no job card filled for the 3 hrs, and verbal fight infront of us between a lady manager with one of the rowdy supervisor. It was messy and heartening to see my car in the hands of their people. I am searching for a better service station. How was your experience with the 7500 kms check (and 1st service if you have done) with Nawab?
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 2012 Skoda Yeti 4x4 Elegance iTNerd Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 77 11th September 2015 00:24
New Skoda YETI concept - anyone interested? drchernish The International Automotive Scene 52 31st December 2012 13:27
VW New Jetta (MT) - Toffee Brown or Leaf Silver??? Update: It's Moonrock Silver! Mister_M Sedans 15 23rd July 2012 18:41
Experience with Skoda Dealerships in Pune (while purchasing Skoda Yeti) SushilBajpai Indian Car Dealerships 10 28th February 2012 16:12


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:56.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks