Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 10th January 2013, 16:55   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
@SB, the wheel arc plastic is very tough indeed and I used the glue/paste that was mentioned in the instruction. And the fitting is very OEM look. But don't just buy it in the hope of having a better road presence (because the claddings are not that wide or bulging).
If I buy these at all it will only be for protection against the maniacal autos, cycles and powered two wheelers that abound on our roads.
The cladding might also help avoid scratches from bushes and vegetation when one goes off the beaten track. I would consider this only if it will help in the above scenarios else I am quite content the way the Yeti is now. If I had really wanted big butch looks and formidable (read bullying or intimidating) presence, I guess I would have gone for the OTT XUV or Fortuner or even a Captiva!
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 17:05   #257
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Silver LittleBigFoot and a Skoda Yeti New Year 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
If I buy these at all it will only be for protection against the maniacal autos, cycles and powered two wheelers that abound on our roads.
The cladding might also help avoid scratches from bushes and vegetation when one goes off the beaten track. I would consider this only if it will help in the above scenarios else I am quite content the way the Yeti is now. If I had really wanted big butch looks and formidable (read bullying or intimidating) presence, I guess I would have gone for the OTT XUV or Fortuner or even a Captiva!
Yes, it does provide protection to the prostrating wheel arc body. Gather this, before putting the wheel arc claddings, one late night, the gate at my apartment complex was already closed. I parked the yeti on the slanting road entering the gate and the guard opens the gates. What he did was, he pushed one of the gate to the other side, and pulled the other one on his side. And I slowly drove in. However, the other side of the gate suddenly started swinging back at steady speed and hit the wheel arc body gently before I could make a dash. There was a visible dent. It happened to me another night on the other side. And that's how I decided to get the wheel arc claddings. They now hide the dents, but also act as an added protection from my swinging gates, bushes and rowdy bicycles.

Last edited by iTNerd : 10th January 2013 at 17:07.
iTNerd is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 17:40   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
From A.S.S (Jai Auto, Mathura Road). I had to leave the car for one night at the workshop. Labour charge around 3K (all inclusive - installation for wheel arc install, twin chrome tip, side-step garnish panels). For me, it took a month for Jai Auto to source the parts. How long do Nawab stated you for the arrival of the parts?

My 7500 kms check was awful at Jai, no job card filled for the 3 hrs, and verbal fight infront of us between a lady manager with one of the rowdy supervisor. It was messy and heartening to see my car in the hands of their people. I am searching for a better service station. How was your experience with the 7500 kms check (and 1st service if you have done) with Nawab?
Service experience is much better in nawab. They don't entertain lots of service booking beyond their capacity unless absolutely important. My 7500 service was during weekdays and it took around 4 hours to do so. I was the first to reach their service center while they were still coming. However the service advisor attended me within 10 minutes. Later they went for their start of day meeting for 15 min on the floor and started attending those. Infact the service was done within 2 hours and then another 2 hours or so for washing. Their washing lineup is a little slow i guess.

My 15k service was equally good on the expected line. They did my booking and i was again one of the first to arrive. This time they took 15 min to open job card even for the fact that it was on a weekend. I left the car and got it in the evening. However i did had to follow up with them on when is the car going to be delivered. I was following up because i had to travel from gzb to noida and hence wanted them to inform me beforehand.

Today i went for a running check-up. My running board plate on left rear tyre was misaligned, this time they opened the job card within 5 min after checking with mechanic on how long it may take as i wanted the car in 2 hours max. They did that job pretty well however i had to follow up with them to move fast as the ramp was not free and they had to remove another car on ramp to book me on priority. I would recommend them, and mr aamir eqbal (GM service) is very helpful i case you have any issue with any service advisor. He might not remember my name but whenevr i go we share some friendly talk
abbey4u is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 19:26   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorauto View Post
I realize how we love our Yeti's, but 'calculated risk taking' is perhaps the more prudent alternative in such things. Back this up with a practice of 'trust but verify' at the service centers and you would probably start enjoying the dividends early without giving up much of that peace of mind.

I agree xplorauto, you are right.. I just don't have heart for this. More than love for Yeti it's mistrust on service folks as I am not confident they will do a excellent job. I don't think I have technical know-how to even understand they are messing it up even if I am standing behind them.

When I booked my Yeti I did ask Autobahn how much would they charge for an upgrade to Bolero from Elegance and they said we will do it only for 70K Rs.. I left the thought right there.

I too want to add the wheel Archs, may be when I take it for 7.6K servicing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
New / Barely used Boleros are available along with the Dash trims for as low as 17K on Ebay.co.uk (including shipping). Once fixed, you can get Bluetooth, MDI/Ipod Compatibility as well as ability to play SD cards.
Really Sunil? while price is reasonable, I will lose the track info? hm... not something I want to have after spending that sort of money.

Hat's off to you Sunil for how many Skoda owners you have helped.
samyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 19:31   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyboy View Post

Really Sunil? while price is reasonable, I will lose the track info? hm... not something I want to have after spending that sort of money.

Hat's off to you Sunil for how many Skoda owners you have helped.
Here is the Accessory Brochure Once again. The price quoted by autobahn was right as Skoda wants it to be a deterrent to people from buying lower variants and upgrading at a cheaper cost. ------->> Accessories-UPDATE Final for sending.xlsx

The Price on ebay.co.uk is reasonable. if your lucky you can even get it at 10K! you will lose the track display on the MFD and not on the stereo itself. The stereo will continue to work normally with all the displays. However if your present MFD shows the Track then it will show when this stereo is fixed. AFAIK the MFD on Ambition and active has relatively less options than the MFD on the elegance.
Sunilrj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 23:52   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbey4u View Post
Service experience is much better in nawab.
I would recommend them, and mr aamir eqbal (GM service) is very helpful i case you have any issue with any service advisor. He might not remember my name but whenevr i go we share some friendly talk
Thanks Gyanendra for sharing your experience with Nawab! I will give them a try for my 1st service in few months. And even better its in Noida itself, so don't have to commute that long. We should meet someday together with our Yetis. Would make a good photo shoot

Last edited by iTNerd : 10th January 2013 at 23:53.
iTNerd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2013, 12:48   #262
BHPian

Quote:
They have changed the rear boot logo Emblem under warranty because apparently there was an instruction from Skoda India to do so. Apparently the earlier Logo Emblem used had a tendency to peel off and this new one won't.
Frankly in my vehicle the logo emblem was in perfect condition but who am I to argue with the wisdom of the manufacturer?
During my visit for the 7500K inspection today, i was offered replacement of the rear emblem FOC as per the Skoda India campaign 6661. Read the advisory sent by skoda, wherein it is mentioned that in a few cases the paint on the emblem peels off due to unfavourable weather conditions and in all Yeti's sold between a particular period the emblem is to be replaced FOC. i declined for the replacement and made the A.S.S make a note in the DISS that i would reserve this replacement for a later date, if in case the paint does peel off. why fix something that is not broken!
Sunilrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2013, 16:51   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

I ve got the engine oil changed to VW507w standard from the earlier used 505w.
The vehicle has done 14071 kms. I got its first annual service done at 12000 odd kms and they had filled VW 505w grade oil as recommended by Skoda India.
Now I ve had this oil changed basis Sunil's suggestions and because as per Skoda CZ's recommendation the higher grade oil (507w) has a beneficial effect on the engine.
Basically in my opinion changing the oil is like feeding the vehicle with top class long grain Basmati rice instead of standard rice.
While I have spent another Rs 5400/- to change the oil and filter, the vehicle now feels really awesome to drive post the oil change.
I don't think that I will ever exceed this 15000 kms per annum max with the vehicle mostly being city driven, but I think it is well worth spending on the highest quality materials always for the vehicle.
Old 9th February 2013, 17:34   #264
BHPian

Hi Shankar

Has there been a perceptible change in the Yeti's fuel efficiency numbers/NVH levels post the oil change to the 507 grade oil?
hrishik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2013, 07:43   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishik View Post
Hi Shankar

Has there been a perceptible change in the Yeti's fuel efficiency numbers/NVH levels post the oil change to the 507 grade oil?
Cant say yet. Will drive it about a bit and see. It was already giving me excellent mileage. Will need to monitor over the next one or two months and see. Ref NVH the Yeti has always been quite silent for a Diesel. It certainly feels smoother now that the better quality oil has been used.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 10th February 2013 at 07:44.
Old 10th February 2013, 21:02   #266
BHPian

Quote:
Cant say yet. Will drive it about a bit and see. It was already giving me excellent mileage. Will need to monitor over the next one or two months and see. Ref NVH the Yeti has always been quite silent for a Diesel. It certainly feels smoother now that the better quality oil has been used.
I used a 1 litre pack of Castrol Edge Professional Longlife III 5w30 to top-up the oil in my Yeti. Consumed about 300ml till the levels were correct (following the manual). There is no perceptible difference in engine characteristics, which is to be expected, I suppose, with a simple top-up. Hence, I was curious to know if a full oil change with the 507 grade makes a significant difference to the engine performance.

Btw, for those in Mumbai, Castrol Edge Professional Longlife III 5w30 is available in 1 litre packs with M/s Chaitanya Auto Agencies, Tawaipada Ind. Estate, S S Rao Road, Lalbaug, Mumbai 400012. Contact - Mr. Pramod Mane, chaitauto2011@gmail.com, 9769662199. These guys are authorized distributors for Castrol lubricants.

I have found the headlights of the Yeti to be inadequate on poorly lit roads, especially if some moron on the opposite side is using high beams (which is more often than not). Osram Night Breaker and Philips Xtreme series replacements seem to be popular on team-bhp. Are these bulbs better than the stock ones and if they are then can I upgrade to one of these without running into warranty issues.
Old 10th February 2013, 21:51   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishik
I have found the headlights of the Yeti to be inadequate on poorly lit roads, especially if some moron on the opposite side is using high beams (which is more often than not). Osram Night Breaker and Philips Xtreme series replacements seem to be popular on team-bhp. Are these bulbs better than the stock ones and if they are then can I upgrade to one of these without running into warranty issues.
I have been using Philips Xtreme headlamps on my Yeti since the past 1 1/2 years and they are significantly better (at least 40%) better than the stock lamps. The beam focus is also a little better. The wattage is the same as the stock bulbs so there will be no warranty issues.
It is definitely worth it to upgrade the headlamps.
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2013, 22:38   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I have been using Philips Xtreme headlamps on my Yeti since the past 1 1/2 years and they are significantly better (at least 40%) better than the stock lamps. The beam focus is also a little better. The wattage is the same as the stock bulbs so there will be no warranty issues.
It is definitely worth it to upgrade the headlamps.
Thanks a lot Behemoth! Another thing added to the To-do list for the Yeti
Old 11th February 2013, 06:06   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishik View Post

I used a 1 litre pack of Castrol Edge Professional Longlife III 5w30 to top-up the oil in my Yeti. Consumed about 300ml till the levels were correct (following the manual). There is no perceptible difference in engine characteristics, which is to be expected, I suppose, with a simple top-up. Hence, I was curious to know if a full oil change with the 507 grade makes a significant difference to the engine performance.

d the headlights of the Yeti to be inadequate on poorly lit roads, especially if some moron on the opposite side is using high beams (which is more often than not). Osram Night Breaker and Philips Xtreme series replacements seem to be popular on team-bhp. these bulbs better than the stock ones and if they are then can I upgrade to one of these without running into warranty issues.
When you buy your Yeti it comes filled with 507w oil. As per Sunil's research it appears that Skoda India were recommending 505w whereas the vehicle manual clearly says 507w.
My oil was changed around 2000kms back when the vehicle had its first annual service and they used 505w.
Frankly I did not notice any difference.
Then when Sunil said that the actual recommended grade was 507w,I kicked up a bit of a ruckus with the dealer and the Skoda guys and made them change the oil to 507w. I paid for it though. Did not want to demand freebies and did not mind paying for better quality.

Ref your query about lights, yes you can change the bulbs with no warranty issues. Personally though I have not found the OEM lights lacking in my use cases. But then again, I do not drive the vehicle often at night.
Old 28th February 2013, 15:02   #270
BHPian

Quote:
When you buy your Yeti it comes filled with 507w oil. As per Sunil's research it appears that Skoda India were recommending 505w whereas the vehicle manual clearly says 507w.
My oil was changed around 2000kms back when the vehicle had its first annual service and they used 505w.
Frankly I did not notice any difference.
Then when Sunil said that the actual recommended grade was 507w,I kicked up a bit of a ruckus with the dealer and the Skoda guys and made them change the oil to 507w. I paid for it though. Did not want to demand freebies and did not mind paying for better quality.

Ref your query about lights, yes you can change the bulbs with no warranty issues. Personally though I have not found the OEM lights lacking in my use cases. But then again, I do not drive the vehicle often at night.
Thanks for the advice Shankar. The left front headlamp of my Yeti is acting up for the past few days - goes off once in a while. It is most likely a loose connector somewhere, but this warrants a service visit soon.

Another thing that I noticed recently (after around 5500km on the odo) is that the engine has become a tad harsher with noticeable vibrations in the 2nd and 3rd gear when revved near 1700 RPM. This effect is not present in the higher gears. In addition the turbo kick that used to set in around the same RPM now feels dampened. Mind you, all this is relative to its earlier behavior (upto 5000km on the odo.) and does not seem abnormal in any way; no warning lights on the dash either. I had observed the same effect in my erstwhile Vista too, but it used to disappear with regular use of System D.
Taking cue from this, would I be right in diagnosing the increased harshness and dampened turbo behavior in the Yeti as being due to injector deposits? If the injectors are indeed causing this behavior and since Skoda does not recommend use of any fuel additives is there a quick solution to this without the Yeti having to undergo an injector cleaning at the workshop.