Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 15th January 2012, 12:48   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My first German Beauty: VW POLO Trendline TDI

Will definitely TD the Polo. The VW dealers in bangalore woke up almost 3 months after i went to their showrooms asking for a TD. Now they're calling me repeatedly asking if i'm interested in a TD, i'm sure they're not used to this

The controls are not a problem as i'm used to the layout in my dad's car. The only reason i was looking at the MJD was because i wasn't exactly happy with the TDI's NVH in our Octavia. When you bought your Polo, did you by any chance enquire about when the Polo would get the 1.5d engine ?
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 13:02   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
When you bought your Polo, did you by any chance enquire about when the Polo would get the 1.5d engine ?
I asked them even a couple of days back, but say"NO IDEA". Either they have no immediate plans or if there are any, they are keeping it under tight wrap.. But believe me, this car deserves upgraded diesel mill given other capabilities..
nawalsingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 13:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawalsingal View Post
I asked them even a couple of days back, but say"NO IDEA". Either they have no immediate plans or if there are any, they are keeping it under tight wrap.. But believe me, this car deserves upgraded diesel mill given other capabilities..
The reason i ask is, VW dealers are almost behind me to TD the Polo D Highline, something in me tells me that the 1.5d launch is around the corner.

Apparently, the highline has a 50k discount going on currently. If the Polo is launched with a 1.5d engine anytime soon and the hike is under a lakh, i'm cancelling my ZDI booking for sure
Old 15th January 2012, 14:03   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post

Apparently, the highline has a 50k discount going on currently. If the Polo is launched with a 1.5d engine anytime soon and the hike is under a lakh, i'm cancelling my ZDI booking for sure
Are you sure he is offering discount of 50 Grands on diesel Highline? In that case, something might be brewing. They may be trying to clear their stocks & keeping the lid on info in order to do that. However, in case of planned early launch, they'd have showcased it in Auto Expo. Keep your fingers crossed. Also, if you are looking at Swift, do consider braking issues, reported by many in TBHP.

BTW, if they launch 1.5 now, will give me serious heartburn . I hope they don't launch it. Just kidding
Old 15th January 2012, 14:27   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure he is offering discount of 50 Grands on diesel Highline? In that case, something might be brewing. They may be trying to clear their stocks & keeping the lid on info in order to do that. However, in case of planned early launch, they'd have showcased it in Auto Expo. Keep your fingers crossed. Also, if you are looking at Swift, do consider braking issues, reported by many in TBHP.

BTW, if they launch 1.5 now, will give me serious heartburn . I hope they don't launch it. Just kidding
My bad! The discount is on the Highline petrol, diesel has a max of 25k going on currently. As far as the Swift is concerned the braking issues are with the L and V variants. The Zdi i've booked has far better brakes
Old 19th January 2012, 13:18   #21
BHPian

Quick update: Just drove to Ahmedabad on Monday,Left @9.45 PM, reached @8.45 PM, after numerous halts due to kids' travel sickness & entering Kalyan instead of taking bypass, But the car was indeed a joy to drive. I touched 180 on Mum Pune e-way(Tacho hovering aroung 4k, the car still had some drops of juice left before I went easy on throttle. May be a couple of clicks could be added to speedo, but the straight ended & I didn't try another check for top speed. My earlier visit to A'bad was during running in period & had to drive sedately, but this time, no such thing. Did 150+ a number of times & car never sprang a surprise or felt out of control even@180. Only sore point: Fuel economy gone for a toss, returned 15 KPL on highway(Predictable if you are constantly driving @150+). The difference is felt when I drove back in Innova. after 120, the engine felt out of breath & after 130, the handling confidence was gone(Though I was driving with 8 on board, with some luggage in boot.) Sharp contrast to my beloved Polo. The love, already on a high, went up a few notches.

P.S.: Gurus, what is the likely error on speedo(Actual speed vs Indicated speed. In my case, Speedo showed 180, what should be actual speed? Just curious to know.
Old 19th January 2012, 13:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

It was probably maxed out,as the true top end is around 160-165KM\hr.

Last edited by akshay4587 : 19th January 2012 at 13:30.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 16:48   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
It was probably maxed out,as the true top end is around 160-165KM\hr.
Yesterday, drove again on E-Way, couldn't reach peak speed (night driving you know), but speedo indicating 150, GPS of my phone showed 145. That is an error of approx 5 kph. It means I reached somewhere around 175 kph during my 180 kph sprint. Can anyone else confirm the top speed of POLO diesel?
Also, brakes seems to be a tad less effective(nothing alarming, but lost a bit of bite) than earlier. I have completed 7.4 k KMS. Is there any issue or normal? What is other POLO owners feedback?

Last edited by nawalsingal : 27th January 2012 at 16:51.
Old 11th February 2012, 17:36   #24
BHPian

Update at 8 K KMs: Engine oil level has gone down slowly & is now 2-3 mm above the min level on the gauge. Went to BuB workshop at Wakad yesterday without any appointment. Attended promptly by SA, checked the Oil level. He told me that if I opt for top up, almost 1/2 litre of oil will be needed, costing approx. 600 Rs. including labour. but also told that no top up is needed as of now & if I don't plan any long drive, the oil should last till scheduled 1st service@15K KMs. He told that there is absolutely no need to waste 600 bucks for topping up the oil, which I'll be draining in any case after 7K Kms more. After listening to the stories of overcharging/ inflating bills during service by some VW dealers, these were indeed some relieving words . Earlier also, dealer M/S BUB didn't force any thing on me & I even bought Insurance from outside, which in these days, is pretty uncommon from dealers POV. So, to dealer for experience so far.

So far, enjoying my POLO & taking it to my first TBHP Pune meet tomorrow. Will come back with more updates. Cheers
Old 13th February 2012, 11:47   #25
BHPian

Had a great time reading your review! Sort of went through the same emotions !
Phew! I also crossed the 10K milestone few days back. Absolutely no issues from the beloved. Touch wood!
I absolutely rate the handling capabilities of Polo 10/10. But as discussed yesterday, I am a bit skeptical about her current shoes. I am not able to feel the confidence inducing traction @ speeds above 120Kmph.
Also from where did you upgrade the stock headlights? I am also planning to do the same as my highway driving after hours has increased a lot.
As of the dealer..B U Bhandari is one of the few professional dealers left in Pune.. I have had a long association with them with my Indica Gls 2008(Sold) and Indigo Lx 2003( sold too )
I also find no alarming drop in oil levels. But to my surprise, coolant level was close to lower limit @ 5K. Went to BUB Wakad and they promptly topped up Free Of Cost! Was that due to the running in Period? ( I had done a thorough PDI checklist @ delivery). As of now, all the fluid levels are OK.
Lets catch up some day!
Cheers!
coriollis is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 12:18   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriollis View Post
Had a great time reading your review! Sort of went through the same emotions !
But as discussed yesterday, I am a bit skeptical about her current shoes. I am not able to feel the confidence inducing traction @ speeds above 120Kmph.

Get it checked, BTW, you find issues with traction or brakes? For me both are non issue at present, but yes, brakes are now 90% of what they were when new, Is it due to tyres or brake pads? Let me get it checked.

Also from where did you upgrade the stock headlights? I am also planning to do the same as my highway driving after hours has increased a lot.

Car Cupid, Baner Pashan Link Road, I replaced stock bulbs with Philips Xtreme Vision 60/55@1.2K, MRP: 600 Each and difference, as I already said, is HUGE. You can get them cheaper. I did that in kinda hurry.

As of the dealer..B U Bhandari is one of the few professional dealers left in Pune.. I have had a long association with them with my Indica Gls 2008(Sold) and Indigo Lx 2003( sold too )
I also find no alarming drop in oil levels. But to my surprise, coolant level was close to lower limit @ 5K. Went to BUB Wakad and they promptly topped up Free Of Cost! Was that due to the running in Period? ( I had done a thorough PDI checklist @ delivery). As of now, all the fluid levels are OK.
I also had same issue, also topped up free but water topup is free I guess , as they don't add coolant, at least not in my case.
Lets catch up some day!

Sure.

Cheers!
My replies in bold. Hope to see you soon, when I visit that side. Will give you a call before coming. Cheers

Last edited by nawalsingal : 13th February 2012 at 12:19.
nawalsingal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 14:03   #27
BHPian

Nice reading your review Nawal. I have a Polo TDI (Comfortline), and took cues from your comments and others while making the purchase on Jan 13 2012.

I have done around 4k so far, and the fuel consumed is hovering around 20-21 KMPL (with a mix of highway and city driving). There is one small question I had for you. Did you go through the normal run-in precaution of keeping revs "not high" during the first 1500-2000 KMs? The run-in is suggested in the user manual, though the SA told me "Nothing required Sir... Take it off without any worries". Actually, I didn't worry a lot during the immediate trip I made on e-way, but after reading through the manual, I had kept revs low till 2,000 kms.

Also, a huge thanks for suggesting the stock headlamp replacement. I Phillips ExtremeVision done at B/U Bhandari itself before taking the delivery. And, also thanks for the insurance tip as well. I knocked off around 4 K from the option I was provided earlier.

To all potential VW customers from Pune, I give a thumbs-up to B.U. Bhandari. Not only the pre-sales, but after sales support has been extremely satisfactory so far. As you mentioned, they detested me from unnecessary expense over oil top-up.
ruchir911 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 15:08   #28
BHPian

Hi,
Im planning to buy a polo or micra diesel...Pls let me know what is the FE i can expect from the polo with 95% city driving...I am pretty light on the accelerator generally...
ManavJain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2012, 19:42   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManavJain View Post
Hi,
Im planning to buy a polo or micra diesel...Pls let me know what is the FE i can expect from the polo with 95% city driving...I am pretty light on the accelerator generally...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchir911 View Post
Nice reading your review Nawal. I have a Polo TDI (Comfortline), and took cues from your comments and others while making the purchase on Jan 13 2012.
There is one small question I had for you. Did you go through the normal run-in precaution of keeping revs "not high" during the first 1500-2000 KMs?

Also, a huge thanks for suggesting the stock headlamp replacement. I Phillips ExtremeVision done at B/U Bhandari itself before taking the delivery. And, also thanks for the insurance tip as well. I knocked off around 4 K from the option I was provided earlier.

To all potential VW customers from Pune, I give a thumbs-up to B.U. Bhandari. Not only the pre-sales, but after sales support has been extremely satisfactory so far. As you mentioned, they detested me from unnecessary expense over oil top-up.
@manav jain, you can expect a mileage of 17+ (Diesel) in city driving, if driven sedately. Though Coriollis is getting 18+ in city driving with light foot. I get around 16 in city, as my route from home to work is quite short & has numerous bottlenecks. Also, I am not that light footed either.
@ruchir, First, congrats on your new set of wheels. Wish you many happy miles ahead. Drive safe. Now answer to your query: I tried to keep myself under control for first 2000 Kms, still after 1000 kms I touched 150 on the odo a couple of times during 1000-2000 KMs, after that, driven as fast as roads & traffic conditions allowed(Safety first), frequently crossing 150.

Today, touched 10K on odo. Update @10k: All izz well(Touchwood) . Did 5 tyre rotation. Also, had a puncture, repaired at the time of rotation itself. Damage to wallet: 150 bucks. Also, checked tyre pressure (nitrogen) after 1.5 mths & 5000 kms, & pressure was OK. Amazing(Cold tyres, mind you). Even the punctured tyre had a drop of 2 PSI only. Maybe it was a recent puncture which got noticed at the time of rotation.

Last edited by nawalsingal : 21st March 2012 at 19:52.
nawalsingal is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2012, 18:29   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Today, touched 10K on odo. Update @10k: All izz well(Touchwood) . Did 5 tyre rotation. Also, had a puncture, repaired at the time of rotation itself. Damage to wallet: 150 bucks. Also, checked tyre pressure (nitrogen) after 1.5 mths & 5000 kms, & pressure was OK. Amazing(Cold tyres, mind you). Even the punctured tyre had a drop of 2 PSI only. Maybe it was a recent puncture which got noticed at the time of rotation.
Hey NawalSingal - another Singhal friend of mine (this one's with an 'h' in between though) wants to buy a Polo TDI from BU Bhandari. Could you please update your first service experience as am guessing it must've crossed 15k by now?

Would be helpful. I am looking for the average Service Cost for Polo TDI.

Thanks in advance.

Sree
spiritofdriving is offline   Reply With Quote