Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 26th January 2012, 18:43   #16
BHPian

Default Re: My Black Tuxedo - Toyota Etios VD !

Hey congratulations on your black beauty. Etios looks best on the road in black.

Etios' space and ride quality trump DZire's ACC & other features hollow. Sensible thing you decided on Etios.

The boot mat cost you only 515? - it cost me around 1600 about 10 months ago! On the other hand, Rs. ~1400 for USB & Aux-in appears exhorbitant!

Lest I forget, that's a great detailed and entertaining ownership account.

Wishing you miles after happy miles on your Black Tuxedo!
RadiantKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 11:30   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Thread moved from Assembly Line. Thanks Varun for the wonderfully detailed review.
Thanks Amartya. Compliment from a Mod feels great!! Thanks again !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post

You must be joking about your driving technique . 14.3 Kmpl before 1st service is considered very good
As far as the mileage is concerned, it will improve after your 2nd service. Until that time no need to worry at all.

Are they going to use synthetic oil for Etios? Or is it ok to use mineral oil? What is service interval?
Thanks Himavanth. 14.3 kmpl looks as of now, but some owners are getting 15 kmpl,hence the question.
I dont what engine oil they use for Etios. I'll check & get back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Hey congrats on your new car. It looks fantastic in Black and you made the right decision IMO to buy the Etios over the Dzire. Yes I am a Toyota Fan.

Nice choice of Seat covers. They really gel well with the overall interiors of the car and combined with the black exteriors look awesome.

And thanks for that detailed "WATERGATE" analysis report .
Thanks Mohit. Apart from NVH, I think Etios has Dzire cornered!
The reason why I did the test was that I myself wanted to clear all doubts on water seepage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
Hey congratulations on your black beauty. Etios looks best on the road in black.

Etios' space and ride quality trump DZire's ACC & other features hollow. Sensible thing you decided on Etios.

The boot mat cost you only 515? - it cost me around 1600 about 10 months ago! On the other hand, Rs. ~1400 for USB & Aux-in appears exhorbitant!

Lest I forget, that's a great detailed and entertaining ownership account.

Wishing you miles after happy miles on your Black Tuxedo!
Thanks RK, even I am of the opinion that I was ripped on USB & AUX In.
I agree,black does look good on Etios!

Last edited by GTO : 28th January 2012 at 13:07. Reason: One quoted post has been deleted
powertrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 15:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

Many congratulations on your new car and wishing you a very pleasant ownership experience.

Well detailed review and as they say pictures speak more than words. The joy and pride of owning a new car is so very evident in the photos of you & your family members. Cherish the moment and thanks again for those wonderful pictures.
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 17:43   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Gosh, your opening post had me . Awesome report, many thanks for sharing! Liked the pictures of your family at the showroom. Everyone is beaming with pride, especially your Mom

I'm a huge fan of the Etios petrol for its performance (relative to the segment), balanced ride & handling and space. Haven't driven the diesel for long, but Vid's and your review appears to indicate good driveability. Well, that engine is in tune with the practical nature of the car.

Congrats! And do drive safe.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 17:53   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Gosh, your opening post had me . Awesome report, many thanks for sharing! Liked the pictures of your family at the showroom. Everyone is beaming with pride, especially your Mom

Don't forget his comprehensive test of the watergate scandal. Man, in that video he pumped water through those door beadings for a good 4 minutes.

Congrats on the car and I hope you took the car out in the sun and let it dry after that.

Enjoy the D-4D engine!
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2012, 23:07   #21
BHPian

Congratulations. Black looks fantastic on Etios. Good choice of color.

Black looks best when the car is clean and worst when its unclean. I can make out from your excellent ownership report that you are a true car lover and a real car lover always wants his car to be clean which is a daunting task with black color. Even a small peck of dust triggers him. As an owner of a black car, I can suggest you the Jopasu car duster which makes your life easy in maintaining the beauty of the car. I always want my car to be sparkling clean every morning when I take it out. I bought the duster around 6 months back after reading the reviews on this site and quite satisfied with it. It does not leave any swirl marks.

Thanks for the video. One of my relative has an Etios which will be completing 1 year this February or March. He hasn't faced any water leakage issue till now. His car still looks as though its just out of the showroom which is a direct result of his immaculate maintenance. The car ages very well.
guyfrmblr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 01:10   #22
BHPian

Powertrain,

Excellent detailed review written with a lot of pride and joy. Really well written.

Your bundle of joy filled my heart with joy too. Your affectionate family-esp the loving mother with eyes full of love and tenderness-what a treat of photos

Mate, I had booked a black coloured Etios-had to cancel it as I liked the City better..sigh.. I still like the Etios and strongly believe that the Etios looks the best in black. Your car looks really princely.

Wish you many many years of wonderful and trouble free ownership.

And a humble suggestion- better quality photos will do wonders to this wonderful thread.

I am fully convinced that you will drive safe.

Last edited by charthom : 28th January 2012 at 01:16.
charthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 14:53   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amartya View Post
Thread moved from Assembly Line. Thanks Varun for the wonderfully detailed review.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I'm a huge fan of the Etios petrol for its performance (relative to the segment), balanced ride & handling and space. Haven't driven the diesel for long, but Vid's and your review appears to indicate good driveability. Well, that engine is in tune with the practical nature of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Don't forget his comprehensive test of the watergate scandal. Man, in that video he pumped water through those door beadings for a good 4 minutes.

Congrats on the car and I hope you took the car out in the sun and let it dry after that.

Enjoy the D-4D engine!
Thank you,Amartya,GTO & Vid for appreciating my efforts. The reason behind the Water test is that I did not want prospective buyers to be influenced by mere rumors. When I was choosing between Dzire & Etios, I really wished someone would do these tests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Congratulations. Black looks fantastic on Etios. Good choice of color.

Black looks best when the car is clean and worst when its unclean. I can make out from your excellent ownership report that you are a true car lover and a real car lover always wants his car to be clean which is a daunting task with black color. Even a small peck of dust triggers him. As an owner of a black car, I can suggest you the Jopasu car duster which makes your life easy in maintaining the beauty of the car. I always want my car to be sparkling clean every morning when I take it out. I bought the duster around 6 months back after reading the reviews on this site and quite satisfied with it. It does not leave any swirl marks.

Thanks for the video. One of my relative has an Etios which will be completing 1 year this February or March. He hasn't faced any water leakage issue till now. His car still looks as though its just out of the showroom which is a direct result of his immaculate maintenance. The car ages very well.
You're absolutely right about maintainence of a black car. I wash my car twice a day & wipe it twice!!! And thanks for suggesting the duster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Powertrain,

Excellent detailed review written with a lot of pride and joy. Really well written.

Your bundle of joy filled my heart with joy too. Your affectionate family-esp the loving mother with eyes full of love and tenderness-what a treat of photos

Mate, I had booked a black coloured Etios-had to cancel it as I liked the City better..sigh.. I still like the Etios and strongly believe that the Etios looks the best in black. Your car looks really princely.

Wish you many many years of wonderful and trouble free ownership.

And a humble suggestion- better quality photos will do wonders to this wonderful thread.

I am fully convinced that you will drive safe.
Thank You charthom,
You did the right thing by choosing City over Etios. Etios is no match to City except for boot space. And at current prices it's a steal!!!!
Wish you a great ownership experience
Regards
Varun

Last edited by noopster : 6th February 2012 at 14:38. Reason: Please don't type an entire post in bold
Old 29th January 2012, 15:38   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
T

I dont what engine oil they use for Etios. I'll check & get back.
What is the service interval of the vehicle? Generally for synthetic oils, the service interval will be 15000 kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
You're absolutely right about maintainence of a black car. I wash my car twice a day & wipe it twice!!! And thanks for suggesting the duster.
That is a lot of care for a vehicle. I do own a black swift it gives me horrid time. You can see every small spec of dust on it.

Call me idealistic, but please do not wash the car twice. It is just a waste of water. Washing car once in 2 days is more than enough. (I did not know if you were joking in your post). This way you can do your bit to Save water
himavanth_m is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2012, 12:49   #25
BHPian

Default Me & my Carelessness

Barely 15 days into my ownership & I did a very stupid thing - lost my Etios 's key & remote,on 24/1/12
Dont ask me how, cause I dont know where I lost it. Still kicking myself for being careless.
Visited Millennium Thane the next day. I had the spare key with myself,with the key number. Spoke to my S.E. He said it would take 10-15 days for original keys & remote to arrive from Banglore.He said the key that I had lost will be disabled.A new key set would cost me about 1500-2000 bucks.

From a security point of view, I asked him, if somebody had the remote, will they be ale to lock/unlock my car? To my surprise, he said "Yes". Although, he will not be able to drive off, he can steal any valuables inside the car!

I instructed my S.E to change the whole lock set,with new remote & key, rather than procuring new keys.

So Guys, if you ever lose your key & remote, replace the whole set!
Total Damages - 6,519/-
Lesson Learnt - Priceless!!

Some Pics-
The Replacement Set-
My Black Tuxedo - Toyota Etios VD !-full-set-large.jpg

Certifiacte of Carelessness
Name:  key replacement bill Large.JPG
Views: 4301
Size:  57.0 KB

P.S - My S.E also mentioned that my car was the 1st Etios to come up for this job. This is one #1 position I hate to be!!
Regards
Varun

Last edited by powertrain : 1st February 2012 at 12:52.
powertrain is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2012, 12:29   #26
BHPian

Hey there! Congrats on your new car. It's a Toyota, so this means decades of maintenance free driving. Yeah, there are some parts of Etios I would wish would not look so downright cheap but hey, it's a Toyota, like I said, you know the car can outlast you!
I just wanted to enquire about the universal remote as well (not sure if anyone asked that by now), where did you get that from and the price if you don't mind?
And sorry to hear about the key loss. But hey, mistakes happen. Good that you changed the entire set. I would rather shell out more cash than be worried whether anyone can unlock my car at any point!

Last edited by rosh_aveo1.4 : 2nd February 2012 at 12:40.
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 09:52   #27
BHPian

Excellent review powertrain Very well written indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
What is the service interval of the vehicle? Generally for synthetic oils, the service interval will be 15000 kms....
Hey Himavanth.. The engine oil used in Etios diesel happens to be synthetic oil itself. However, in Etios, we recommend the "oil and oil filter change" every 10k kms.
Carb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 10:54   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh_aveo1.4 View Post
Hey there! Congrats on your new car. It's a Toyota, so this means decades of maintenance free driving. Yeah, there are some parts of Etios I would wish would not look so downright cheap but hey, it's a Toyota, like I said, you know the car can outlast you!
I just wanted to enquire about the universal remote as well (not sure if anyone asked that by now), where did you get that from and the price if you don't mind?
And sorry to hear about the key loss. But hey, mistakes happen. Good that you changed the entire set. I would rather shell out more cash than be worried whether anyone can unlock my car at any point!
Thank you for the wishes! Regarding the steering remote, I got it from Andheri,Mumbai. It's not a branded & it's a chinese unit. Got it for 1000 bucks. Your head unit should have a remote. This unit is a learning/copy remote. It copies tne original remote's functions
More info here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...e-control.html

Hope this helps
Varun Nair
Old 3rd February 2012, 19:03   #29
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Varun for your wonderful selection. Toyota's quality and reliability will give you a wonderful experience.
Even my car (figo) colour is black and I struggle to maintain well. My advice is not to wash twice a day, but can wipe using Jopasu duster any number of times.

Convey my wishes to all in your family. Happy and Safe Motoring.
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 21:14   #30
BHPian

Congrats for the Etios. Stunning pics, I must say. The Watergate taste.
What is the average FE now? Any improvements from 15..
Utopian is offline   Reply With Quote