Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 12th March 2012, 12:08   #76
BHPian

Default Re: The 2012 Honda City CE Silver: Delivered & Hooked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post
The ECO light comes on the moment you are in the optimal torque band.
Hi Nitin, Need a bit of help pal. I own the pre-facelifted City hence have to do without ECO indicator. Since you seem to be using this pretty well could you possibly share rpm / gear / speeds that generally ensures ECO is always on.Help me tune my driving habits accordingly. Thanks
arup.misra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 12:27   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Hi Nitin, Need a bit of help pal. I own the pre-facelifted City hence have to do without ECO indicator. Since you seem to be using this pretty well could you possibly share rpm / gear / speeds that generally ensures ECO is always on.Help me tune my driving habits accordingly. Thanks
My latest post has these details, Arup. Here's a recap :-

1st gear - Haven't seen "ECO" yet.

2nd gear - ~20-25 kph. RPM - ~1.5K.

3rd gear - 35-40 kph (generally on or near 40 kph). RPM - 2K.

4th gear - starts at 60 kph and stays till 70 kph. RPM - 2K to 2.5K.

5th gear - kicks in at around 70 kph and stays till you cross 80 kph. RPM - 2.5K.
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 12:46   #78
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations! Although a service late.

I thought with all your buzzing around the world on your TB you won't be by putting a car
Now that the service is done, when do you plan to explore vtec growl. I am sure you surely tasted the blood by now.

The Eco sign is a nice add on but as the above post shows that is what we all mostly maintain. 2k-2.5k rpm is where there is some good usable torque in this engine begins to make, so it's but natural to cruise around in the bandwidth to enjoy efficiency.

However, I have found the numbers to be equally good at 3k rpm mark doing 80-110 kmph I was able to extract +21 kmpl doing those (without AC) with AC it drops about 1.5 kmpl.

Nitin, let's plan a drive together soon. Cheers!
Sn1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 16:59   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
My latest post has these details, Arup. Here's a recap :-

1st gear - Haven't seen "ECO" yet.

2nd gear - ~20-25 kph. RPM - ~1.5K.

3rd gear - 40-45 kph (generally on 40 kph). RPM - 2K.

4th gear - starts at 40 kph and stays till 60 kph. RPM - 2K.

5th gear - kicks in at around 70 kph and stays till you cross 80 kph. RPM - 2.5K.
Update (correction) on the "ECO" modes after my drive today. All readings with AC blower set to first (lowest) position.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 12th March 2012 at 17:00.
RavenAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 19:23   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi

Update (correction) on the "ECO" modes after my drive today. All readings with AC blower set to first (lowest) position.
Thanks for the update.
Please try this, once you have activated the vtec, the indicators should again be on at even higher rpm (assumption going by the vtec working).
I also observed that once the engine is taken to higher rpm beyond vtec activation and then you cruise at 80-100 kmph then you will get Eco on. As in my car it shows the economy of 30+
Sn1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 20:30   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra
Hi Arup,
Avinash has given a very detailed range and am in sync.
As a thumb rule if you keep the car between 1.5k rpm to 3k rpm between 2-5 gear and you cruise in 5th at about 80 kmph; 15kmpl in NCR with a mix of traffic should be a piece of cake; with AC on blower 1.
2=1500
3=1500-2000
4=2000-2500
5=2500-3000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r
Thanks for the update.
Please try this, once you have activated the vtec, the indicators should again be on at even higher rpm (assumption going by the vtec working).
I also observed that once the engine is taken to higher rpm beyond vtec activation and then you cruise at 80-100 kmph then you will get Eco on. As in my car it shows the economy of 30+
Spot on! If you stay above 3k rpm in 5th the Eco light stays on till 120 kmph! The moment you drop below 3k rpm; the Eco bar drops to 6-7 bars; translating into 12-14 kmph instant efficiency. I have touched 150 kmph on one instance and the engine seemed to be egging me on but sanity prevailed. The growl seriously remind me of my rx100 from years back; in more ways than one.

Drive, anytime buddy. Let's do an NCR meet?
Just got my TBTS serviced today post Nepal tour!

Last edited by nitin.rai : 12th March 2012 at 20:34.
nitin.rai is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 22:12   #82
BHPian

Congrats RavenAvi, the Honda City's been a hot looker, and a good seller, the Corporate variant should do the numbers even better ! But I hear there is an internal push to upsell to higher variants, I read somewhere else here, dealers get only 1 CE per month. I don't know if that converts to upselling to higher variants who walked in due to the CE's low sticker price, or they return disappointed. I guess it must work, that's why they employ such tactics. Best wishea for a long , trouble-free ownership !
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 11:06   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Thanks for the update.
30+?! That's incredible! When I touched 120 on an open stretch of road, I was slightly surprised by seeing the "ECO" indicator come on at around 105 kph. Must've been the VTEC kicking in. (couldn't check the RPM)

Nifty little feature to look forward to. Can't wait to get the first service out of the way. Thanks for the heads up, my friend.

Quote:
Spot on! If you stay above 3k rpm in 5th the Eco light stays on till 120 kmph! The moment you drop below 3k rpm; the Eco bar drops to 6-7 bars; translating into 12-14 kmph instant efficiency. I have touched 150 kmph on one instance and the engine seemed to be egging me on but sanity prevailed. The growl seriously remind me of my rx100 from years back; in more ways than one.
Oh yes I quite remember the feeling. Pegasus was flying, yet it felt like he was just warming up. Had to rein him back to saner speeds.

Must do this again. Sounds quite addictive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Congrats RavenAvi, the Honda City's been a hot looker, and a good seller, the Corporate variant should do the numbers even better ! But I hear there is an internal push to upsell to higher variants, I read somewhere else here, dealers get only 1 CE per month. I don't know if that converts to upselling to higher variants who walked in due to the CE's low sticker price, or they return disappointed. I guess it must work, that's why they employ such tactics. Best wishea for a long , trouble-free ownership !
Thanks, my friend.

I didn't feel for once that they tried to push me towards a higher variant. Right from the moment I kept calling them (or they calling me) for the latest info on Pegasus's delivery schedule, not once did they tell me "sir your car is getting delayed, we suggest looking at either an EMT or even a SMT." All they did was express their helplessness at giving me a quick delivery. It's true that my dealer is getting only 1 CE per month (which should have improved by now, now that Honda's manufacturing issues have been somewhat resolved), and I saw proof of it. My CE was the only one delivered in the lot it came in - rest were mostly S MTs and V MTs (looks like a lot of people prefer the sunroof variant, 3-4 got delivered right in front of me) and very few E MTs. I do foresee a surge in CEs in the days to come, most probably because of the superb VFM pricing tag it comes with.
Old 13th March 2012, 11:10   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Arup,
As a thumb rule if you keep the car between 1.5k rpm to 3k rpm between 2-5 gear and you cruise in 5th at about 80 kmph; 15kmpl in NCR with a mix of traffic should be a piece of cake; with AC on blower 1.
2=1500
3=1500-2000
4=2000-2500
5=2500-3000.

Thanks Avinash, Nitin. This is really helpful. Let me see if I can tame my dragon . Guys if you use art-leather seats could you suggest any good cleaner for the same.
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 21:33   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Thanks Avinash, Nitin. This is really helpful. Let me see if I can tame my dragon. Guys if you use art-leather seats could you suggest any good cleaner for the same.
Haven't gotten my Art-leather set fitted yet. Following vb's advice about them soaking up more heat (it is getting hot around these parts), so postponed it till I get my sunfilm work done, which should be within the next week. I have my eye on a few good ones, and will finalise one as soon as they get fitted.

I'll keep you posted, Arup.
RavenAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 22:06   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
30+?! That's incredible! When I touched 120 on an open stretch of road, I was slightly surprised by seeing the "ECO" indicator come on at around 105 kph. Must've been the VTEC kicking in. (couldn't check the RPM)
I think i-VTEC kicking in is associated with RPM(over 3K) and not with speed?

Experts please clarify!
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 22:12   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I think i-VTEC kicking in is associated with RPM(over 3K) and not with speed?

Experts please clarify!
Yep, it kicks in as soon as the RPM meter touches 3K. I was at about 3.5K at 120-125 kph earlier this evening and the ECO was glowing. Realtime FE bar was at around 24-26 kmpl!
Old 14th March 2012, 10:11   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Arup,
2=1500
3=1500-2000
4=2000-2500
5=2500-3000.

Pretty interesting. Till now I thought that the lesser the rpm, without stalling of course, better the FE.

You say that, in 5th gear the FE drops when the rpm drops below 3000 rpm. Can you quote more examples to elucidate.
skdking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 13:54   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking

Pretty interesting. Till now I thought that the lesser the rpm, without stalling of course, better the FE.

You say that, in 5th gear the FE drops when the rpm drops below 3000 rpm. Can you quote more examples to elucidate.
Moving into 5th gear at 30 kmph and then accelerating to 80 will yield higher fuel consumption than steady gear change.
This engine is flexible you can move the car without using accelerator and just moving up the gear. Reaching 5th gear the fuel consumption usage is above 20kmpl and you have not once used the accelerator. (this is just for testing)

A layman's explanation will be: The vtec engagement just starts using more capacity of the cylinder, breathes deeper. this relaxes the engine and you get better efficiency.

The best way the engine responds is checking your foot position on accelerator. Even in lower gear you can achieve better efficiency with low pressure then higher gear and higher pressure on accelerator.
Sn1p3r is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2012, 23:04   #90
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post

I agree with a modification that power required for rolling resistance with 5th gear at above 35 kmph or so i.e. just above idle RPM (750-800) which my be above 1000RPM to a certain limit.

Quote:
Yep, it kicks in as soon as the RPM meter touches 3K. I was at about 3.5K at 120-125 kph earlier this evening and the ECO was glowing. Realtime FE bar was at around 24-26 kmpl!
FE bar indicates warning gas pedal, it is effective for accelaration/FE but such bar cannot be relied as effiency until is stable for long time with 2/3rd bars.

Instead, FE figure on trip avg may be may be relied uopon for mileage which will not mislead. Because whenever you press gas pegal number of bars will decrease and when you release it the bars nos increases so that one may asume on the basis of it that FE is 25+, 30+, 35+, etc but the same - the number of bars is not stable for a long and hence not reliable. On the other hand, FE figure on trip avg are based on distance travelled and is therefore authentic with a minor +/- in line with odometer.

It may be confirmed with FE figure of trip meter. I achieved 25 (24.8) kmpl of trip FE figure with my City CE.

Quote:
Hi Arup,
2=1500
3=1500-2000
4=2000-2500
5=2500-3000.

ECO bars is not reliable as dicussed above. Moreover, at this speed of 120 kmph mileage must fall - may as you mentioned above (12-14 km) due to huge aerodynamic resistance faced at that speed.

You may try for mileage below 70 kmph (at 2000 RPM) which is better for FE. You may post your experiences accordingly also, if you like.
000_RANVIS is offline   Reply With Quote