Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 1st March 2012, 20:51   #31
BHPian

Default Re: My Black Ghost : Toyota Etios V Ownership Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Yes. I doubt the idling speed. Normally the idle rpm should be around 800-900.
Just check the idling speed after the engine heats up (after it reaches the normal running temp). With this low rpm you may end up in backing too much on a slope or rev up more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Idle rpm of 600 is pretty low. Ideally it should be close to 800~850. Try visiting the service centre and ask them to show the idle rpm on some other vehicles. Do check the idle rpm after letting the engines warm up for a while.

A faulty oxygen sensor can cause inconsistent idling rpm and cause stalling at start off. Ask them to replace it and then see if it the problem persists.
With the AC ON, it's close to 1000. The problem is there even after driving it for miles.
Oh now I remember an incident that occurred a few months ago. I took the car to a fuel station and the car was idling. The rpm suddenly rocketed to 2000! I noticed it because the engine suddenly became very noisy. I was stunned by this and tried to shift gears, engage and disengage the clutch etc but in vain. Finally I restarted the engine and everything was normal. This never happened again so I didn't report it to Toyota. Any connection between this one and the current issue?
Once again thank you for your valuable inputs.
fast&furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 10:58   #32
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: My Black Ghost : Toyota Etios V Ownership Report

Congrats on the sensible buy. It's undoubtedly the best sedan in the entry level segment. CNN-IBN Overdrive did a recent comparison ( after the release of new Dzire ) of all entry level sedans. Their order of preference was

Etios
Dzire
Verito
Manza

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&furious View Post
  • An analog fuel gauge would have been better as the current one is nowhere near accurate. Resetting the trip meter while refueling is the only way to roughly calculate the distance to empty.
I own an Etios Diesel, never found an issue with the accuracy of the fuel gauge. When the blinking starts, it's always around 5 to 6 liters left. Because, I fill full tank at this point of time.

Quote:
  • The rough plastic used in the dashboard area is a bit of a dirt magnet so is the stock fabric seats.
The roughness on the top of dash is by design to reduce the glare on windshield.

Quote:
  • The single wiper does a surprisingly good job.
+1. I liked it better than the dual wipers on my Esteem. The dual arm mono wiper provides huge sweep.

Quote:
  • The front door panels should be made of better quality plastic since they have a speaker in it. At high bass you can hear it vibrating.
The solution for this is to have a rear speakers and put the fader on -3 position so that your front speakers doesn't have to work so hard. And this kind of configuration provides the best sound output as well because you will be fitting better quality speakers at the rear.

Quote:
  • It's a 'fill it shut it forget it' kinda car. No frequent inspections required.
+1

Also with regards to fun to drive factor, I own a Diesel and can assure that it's real fun to drive as well. Its power to weight ratio is very close to the Swift DDiS. Add to that, near zero turbo lag ( unlike the DDiS ) and flat peak torque from 1800 to 2400 rpms, and high speed stability, it's real fun to drive this gem of a car. As you rightly mentioned, it's a driver's car with the utility of a family car. The thing that you lose out is on "not so important stuffs" like flashy interiors and looks.

Last edited by amalji : 2nd March 2012 at 11:01.
amalji is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 14:55   #33
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh now I remember an incident that occurred a few months ago. I took the car to a fuel station and the car was idling. The rpm suddenly rocketed to 2000! I noticed it because the engine suddenly became very noisy. I was stunned by this and tried to shift gears, engage and disengage the clutch etc but in vain. Finally I restarted the engine and everything was normal. This never happened again so I didn't report it to Toyota. Any connection between this one and the current issue?
Some electrical/electronical issues may cause these kind of problems. Better go to the SC and they will do a complete engine tuning (timing, idling etc) and fix it.
RGK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 15:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

^^ it is recommended that you switch off your engine while refuelling

keeping it idle at the gas station was what caused the problem ;I am not able to explain why, though
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 20:58   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
The roughness on the top of dash is by design to reduce the glare on windshield.
Maybe. But overall, the plastic quality is below par. We have to accept it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
The solution for this is to have a rear speakers and put the fader on -3 position so that your front speakers doesn't have to work so hard. And this kind of configuration provides the best sound output as well because you will be fitting better quality speakers at the rear.
Thanks for the tip. I have no rear speakers installed. Will be installing them soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGK View Post
Some electrical/electronical issues may cause these kind of problems. Better go to the SC and they will do a complete engine tuning (timing, idling etc) and fix it.
Thanks. I will be doing it soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
^^ it is recommended that you switch off your engine while refuelling

keeping it idle at the gas station was what caused the problem ;I am not able to explain why, though
I wasn't idling while refueling. There was a long que at the gas station. I was waiting there. That's when this happened. I don't think it has something to do with this issue.

Friends, now a general question. There was a little dent on my car. I wanted to get it fixed quickly(guys @ Toyota B&P said they need atleast a week!)and the no claim bonus was another advantage I thought of. So I went to a local painter and he almost messed it up. There is mist and it doesn't look as glossy as the other areas. He says that he needs to look at it again and that he will definitely fix it. He is very reliable(based on my experiences in the past) but in case he fails, can I take it to the Toyota B&P? Will I be able to claim the insurance? I actually tried to save the insurance company's money na?

Last edited by fast&furious : 2nd March 2012 at 21:10.
Old 3rd March 2012, 12:54   #36
BHPian

Hey fast&furious,

Hearty congratulations on a very sensible and practical, yet fun-to-drive, ownership of the Black Ghost. Black is the most beautiful colour on most cars IMO, and even more so in Etios, but you got to maintain it the most too. Hope you will be equal to the task!

Quote:
The Etios is said to have a very good suspension but I'm not very happy with it's ride at low speeds. It's comfortable at high speeds but at low to moderate speeds, the rear suspension bottoms out at times! Don't know if this is unique to my car only. It's not as smooth as say...Swift at low speeds. It's good but not as good as I thought it would be.
First, I hope you are maintaining the tyre pressure at proper level. Surprising is to note that you're finding the suspensions "not as smooth as Swift at low speeds". Regarding rear suspension bottoming out, are you referring to the sound given out by suspensions when you go over a bump at speeds? In my case, initially I felt the suspensions were bottoming out while going over a bump, but later realized the the thunk was coming from front suspensions and that's the behaviour of Etios suspensions and not the case of bottoming out.

Regarding the idle rpm... The idle rpm, once the engine is warmed up, is set at 600 with AC off and 850 with AC on in Etios. I haven't faced the problem of engine stalling but of mild vibrations in the cabin due to this. In fact, it was the vibrations that led me to get the whole issue diagnosed. Solution? I am still living with the minor problem. I think Toyota has tuned the ECU this way to maximize the mileage. But if engine is stalling, then you need to take the matter to Service Centre. Also of concern for you is the instance when the rpm shot up to 2000, assuming that you didn't end up pressing the pedal absent-mindedly.

Wishing you miles of happy driving!
RadiantKarma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 13:52   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
Hey fast&furious,

Hearty congratulations on a very sensible and practical, yet fun-to-drive, ownership of the Black Ghost. Black is the most beautiful colour on most cars IMO, and even more so in Etios, but you got to maintain it the most too. Hope you will be equal to the task!
Thanks. Yes it requires frequent cleaning and if you accidentally get a scratch or something, it's be very difficult to get rid of it. I tried a short cut route and I'm now running around to fix it .
Quote:
First, I hope you are maintaining the tyre pressure at proper level. Surprising is to note that you're finding the suspensions "not as smooth as Swift at low speeds". Regarding rear suspension bottoming out, are you referring to the sound given out by suspensions when you go over a bump at speeds? In my case, initially I felt the suspensions were bottoming out while going over a bump, but later realized the the thunk was coming from front suspensions and that's the behaviour of Etios suspensions and not the case of bottoming out.
I check the tyre pressure every fortnight. Yes, I felt the suspension to be a bit stiffer than the Swift. While it's a boon on the highways and curvy roads, at low speeds on not so good roads it's a little issue. It's not bad but not that good either The sound actually comes from the rear and it's not just the sound but you can feel it as well. But this doesn't happen always and I've noticed it while going over bumps at decent speeds.

Quote:
Regarding the idle rpm... The idle rpm, once the engine is warmed up, is set at 600 with AC off and 850 with AC on in Etios. I haven't faced the problem of engine stalling but of mild vibrations in the cabin due to this. In fact, it was the vibrations that led me to get the whole issue diagnosed. Solution? I am still living with the minor problem. I think Toyota has tuned the ECU this way to maximize the mileage. But if engine is stalling, then you need to take the matter to Service Centre.
Thanks for the clarification. But 600 is too low isn't it? I think it wont be a big issue since most people including myself never really turn off the AC in dusty, hot & humid city conditions. Anyways, I will take it to the SC after I sort out the 'dent' issue.
Old 4th March 2012, 11:52   #38
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: My Black Ghost : Toyota Etios V Ownership Report

Quote:
Friends, now a general question. There was a little dent on my car. I wanted to get it fixed quickly(guys @ Toyota B&P said they need atleast a week!)and the no claim bonus was another advantage I thought of. So I went to a local painter and he almost messed it up. There is mist and it doesn't look as glossy as the other areas. He says that he needs to look at it again and that he will definitely fix it. He is very reliable(based on my experiences in the past) but in case he fails, can I take it to the Toyota B&P? Will I be able to claim the insurance? I actually tried to save the insurance company's money na?
You might not get insurance for this ( unless if Toyota creates another scratch there )
amalji is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2012, 00:13   #39
BHPian

Dude could you tell me if its possible to fit an amp to that Double Din cd player on the V range? I believe its made by Panasonic. What was so special about the DVD player on the Vx spec? Did it have any provision for fitting an additional external display?
ullal_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 15:12   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullal_h View Post
Dude could you tell me if its possible to fit an amp to that Double Din cd player on the V range? I believe its made by Panasonic. What was so special about the DVD player on the Vx spec? Did it have any provision for fitting an additional external display?
Sorry for the late reply. Saw your post just now.
I'm a complete newbie to the ICE world.

The unit has 4 channels with a max. output of 40W. So that should be enough for 2 tweeters + 2 door speakers + 2 decent rear speakers (AFAIK the tweeters are connected to the front door speakers. Kindly correct me if I'm wrong). It should be possible to fit an amp if you want but I'm not sure.

And about the DVD HU, yes you can install an external display and watch videos or use it as OSD. I did read GTO's review several times but didn't notice it! And nobody at Toyota told me about this either. Came to know about it only when I read the manual. The DVD HU costs 17K whereas the CD HU costs 9K only and one will have to buy at least a 7" screen for watching videos. So 17+3 = 20K. I guess one will get a much better head unit with integrated 7" touch screen, bluetooth and all for a little over 20K.

Last edited by fast&furious : 28th May 2012 at 15:18.
Old 1st June 2012, 13:03   #41
BHPian

Yup. Putting an after market Double Din from one of the branded companies is a much better option. OK, Just have a few more queries regarding the OEM. I just came across it on one of the Etios Threads. Is the CD player Panasonic? Is is the same case with the Dvd Player? I Test drove the Petrol Etios and fell in love with the responsive engine and the precise handling. I had visited the Showroom only to enquire more about the OEM :P The lady told me, the DVD player is Pioneer. I don't know how far this is true. Also does the CD player have rear RCA outputs for an external amp? I presume any DVD player to come with at least 1 RCA output even though it maybe a basic DVD player.
ullal_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 22:39   #42
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: My Black Ghost : Toyota Etios V Ownership Report

Ya AFAIK it's a Panasonic HU. Both the HUs (CD and DVD) look very similar. So I guess both are made by the same company. Asked a friend about the RCA output. He said it's there.
As I said earlier, I'm not an ICE guru . We have a thread dedicated to Etios ICE here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/ask-gu...ota-etios.html

Anybody who test drives the Etios will be surprised by the power and great handling. The problem is that many people don't even care to just test drive it.
Feel free to ask if you have any further queries .
Old 23rd June 2012, 12:09   #43
BHPian

Hey guys!
I have been following this thread fr the past 2 months.
Based on the discussions over here, i decided to go in for the Etios instead of the Dzire.
I booked the Etios V yesterday, same as @fast&furious' etios but mine's a white one!
Hoping to have a good experience with the Etios!
saadat1992 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2012, 21:32   #44
BHPian

UPDATE
First of all sorry for the late report. I'm a bit too lazy these days. The car has successfully completed the first year without any major issues. Issues that need to be mentioned in detail are provided at the end of the post.

The car has now completed its second service (first major). Service routine includes engine oil and filter change, tyre rotation, balancing, alignment etc. It took them only under 2 hours to complete the process! I was a bit surprised. The first three services are free ie. without labour charge. The final amount came to Rs.1188 for the second service.

Post service experience
It was fantastic to begin with. The car felt as if it is brand new. Not just the condition but the feel is what I'm talking about. The steering wheel and the pedals felt very tight like in a new car. The biggest change I noticed was with the engine. I have heard and read some people saying hat, an oil change wont bring any noticeable difference to the engine. "It might get a little more soft and may increase the fuel efficiency marginally and whatever else you feel is just a mental thing and it has nothing to do with the oil change" they say. So, I didn't expect the car to be any better after the 2nd service. But I noticed a considerable difference in the engine's behaviour after it. It was surprisingly smoother and willing to do high rpms. The 'cat scream' at high revvs has now given way to a 'lion roar' (at least you feel like it). I had mentioned the lack of high revving nature of the engine in my first report. It's somewhat the opposite now.

Since they haven't changed anything else related to the engine, I assume that the oil change indeed is the reason behind this. And because of this nature the car feels more peppy now. I'm not kidding. You may not notice this kind of a change with all engines but it definitely has done something to this engine. The fuel efficiency has gone down a bit. Maybe it's because I revv the engine a lot these days. Will update you on the accurate figure soon.

Now the not so good things. The headlamp was not properly aligned. Even with the knob set to high position, the light was not parallel and this issue was evident on straight roads. I had mentioned this at the time of servicing. I couldn't check it at the time of delivery because it was a sunny day. And only later I realised that the low beam is a bit like high beam. The high beam could give a hard time even to a pilot up in the sky. I got it adjusted again but now it's back to the previous state :(. It's very difficult to drive during the night. Even with fog lamps on I can't see the left edge of the road. I'm thinking about getting it adjusted from someone else.

Another interesting story: I was cleaning the boot a few days after the service and the stepney tyre looked like it had no air in it. So checked it at the nearby fuel station. It had no air in it! I have never used the stepney tyre. The pressures in other tyres were around 25-27 (32 being the recommended). Surely a tyre can't loose 6-7 psi in just two three days. How can they miss something so basic. It's a part of the service routine!

Some other points worth mentioning
The difficulty in keeping up with the diesel boys while accelerating from low speeds, even with 132 Nm torque is a bit disappointing. One of the stars in the Etios itself is the villian here; the A/C. The A/C is very good but it also sucks a considerable amount of torque from the engine. It basically kills the fun. I have never noticed such a big difference in performance in any of the cars I've driven. At high rpms (speeds) the problem is barely noticeable though. Turn the a/c off and it's really fun to drive. Don't expect to get much acceleration in the 1st gear, either with A/C on or off.

It's difficult to put car cover on the Etios since the antenna is too big. Either you have to remove the antenna or get a cover with a provision for it. This issue has been solved in the new edition. They come with a foldable antenna (not sure about it. SA told me this).

Enquired about the splash guard under the engine bay (present in the diesel variant). They said it's not possible to fit that on the petrol since there are no screw holes on the body. According to them the major use with that guard is that it will keep the diesel clatter away from the cabin. Hence it's not present in the petrol.

Quote:
Attachment 893199
Is this thing reliable?!
I apologise for the distrust I expressed. That Tata Green battery is indeed very good. Why? One fine evening, after putting on the car cover I realised that I forgot to take something I left in the car. I raised the cover, opened the door, turned on the cabin light, took the file, closed the door, lowered the cover and went my way. Yes, I forgot to turn the light off! Since the cover was on I couldn't see it either. Only when I was about to start the car next morning did I realise that the light was on since the last evening. I touched it to make sure that and ya it was HOT. With a lot of fear I turned the key and the engine came to life in half a crank! And no battery light on the dashboard either! No wonder why Tata is one of the most trusted Indian companies.

Between the first and second services many parts were replaced under warranty. I use the word 'many' because I have lost count of them. Parts replaced under warranty include fuel hose, some switch of the boot light, windshield washer nozzle etc. They definitely take feedbacks seriously.

Now, coming to the three major problems I have mentioned in the initial ownership report.

1) Engine rpm issue: There was definitely some issue with the rpm/ECU because of which the engine kept stalling at low speeds and also when trying to move from a stop. I reported this during the service and after checking the ECU readings they said there's some error in the tacho reading (the sticker) and that the ECU readings show 800-900. When I asked about the reason for the car continuously stalling while other cars don't, their justification was something like this : "Sir, you must have driven a diesel vehicle which has much more torque. So you need not give throttle when you start but with a petrol car you should always apply throttle, otherwise the engine would stall". It was an indirect way of telling me that it was due to some ignorance from my part.

This statement gave rise to two doubts in my mind. a)Do these diesel engines have such high torque figures at idling rpm when turbo is not active at all?
b)I have driven many petrol cars. On a flat surface, all you have to do is just release the clutch pedal and it starts moving. I have seen people doing the clutch + accelerator thing they're talking about only in buses and old cars.

I was not ready for an argument. I returned home and logged onto tbph and discussed this issue with Parsh and RadiantKarma (two petrol Etios owners I know of. Special thanks to both of you! And thanks to TBHP too!). RadiantKarma confirmed that the idling rpm of Etios with A/C off is indeed 600 and with A/C on it's ~900 and that he doesn't face this stalling issue. So after a few days I went back to Toyota and raised this issue again. But this time the SA confirmed that there's indeed some issue with ECU and it might need reprogramming. I returned in the evening and he said that the ECU didn't need reprogramming and it only required some initialization process. I TD ed the car, it felt much better. The low engine rpm is definitely an issue which Toyota needs to address.
Status update: solved.

2) Fuel gauge issue: It's still there. SA says they have reported this to Toyota after several complaints from the customers and the reply from Toyota was that it's normal for this type of fuel gauge. They haven't offered any solution to that yet.

3)Suspension: Has gotten better with time I guess. Didn't report during service.

So overall I'm satisfied with the after sales service of Toyota. The car as expected is performing very well without any major problems till date.

Though the competition is a lot stiffer now from the Dzire and the Sunny, I would still put the Etios on top of the table as a complete entry level petrol sedan. Had Maruti kept the Dzire's size the same, I think it would have won the title comprehensively. The small boot and the narrow rear seat are the only major negatives I can see in that car now.
fast&furious is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2013, 14:15   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Some other points worth mentioning
The difficulty in keeping up with the diesel boys while accelerating from low speeds, even with 132 Nm torque is a bit disappointing. One of the stars in the Etios itself is the villian here; the A/C. The A/C is very good but it also sucks a considerable amount of torque from the engine. It basically kills the fun. I have never noticed such a big difference in performance in any of the cars I've driven. At high rpms (speeds) the problem is barely noticeable though. Turn the a/c off and it's really fun to drive. Don't expect to get much acceleration in the 1st gear, either with A/C on or off.
Wow! this seriously puts a spanner in my quest for Etios (P) / (D). I am facing this same issue in my current Getz Prime 1.3L petrol; otherwise excellent on highways & would not want to have it in a new buy! . I had gone to DSK toyota for a TD of Etios (P) and they did not have one!. SA mentioned that toyota had still not sent them a new face lifted Etios (P). Ended up taking a TD of the Etios (D) instead and liked it. I have asked them to call me when Etios (P) arrives. Will have to do a detailed TD of both.
SSD2122 is offline   Reply With Quote