Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 31st March 2013, 21:39   #46
BHPian

Default Re: My Black Ghost : Toyota Etios V Ownership Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD2122 View Post
Wow! this seriously puts a spanner in my quest for Etios (P) / (D). I am facing this same issue in my current Getz Prime 1.3L petrol; otherwise excellent on highways & would not want to have it in a new buy! . I had gone to DSK toyota for a TD of Etios (P) and they did not have one!. SA mentioned that toyota had still not sent them a new face lifted Etios (P). Ended up taking a TD of the Etios (D) instead and liked it. I have asked them to call me when Etios (P) arrives. Will have to do a detailed TD of both.
Hello SSD2122,
I guess the Air con issue is only with the petrol ones. In my diesel Liva, i find no shortage of power when the AC is switched on. In fact, AC runs all the time.
The car can accelerate effortlessly with full load and AC on. No issues so far. But, i did face the Air Con issue in my Santro. The air con used to suck the engine's power completely and if i wanted to overtake a big vehicle switching off the AC was the only solution.

Cheers
saadat1992 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2013, 22:10   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Wow! this seriously puts a spanner in my quest for Etios (P) / (D). I am facing this same issue in my current Getz Prime 1.3L petrol; otherwise excellent on highways & would not want to have it in a new buy! . I had gone to DSK toyota for a TD of Etios (P) and they did not have one!. SA mentioned that toyota had still not sent them a new face lifted Etios (P). Ended up taking a TD of the Etios (D) instead and liked it. I have asked them to call me when Etios (P) arrives. Will have to do a detailed TD of both.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saadat1992 View Post
Hello SSD2122,
I guess the Air con issue is only with the petrol ones. In my diesel Liva, i find no shortage of power when the AC is switched on. In fact, AC runs all the time.
The car can accelerate effortlessly with full load and AC on. No issues so far. But, i did face the Air Con issue in my Santro. The air con used to suck the engine's power completely and if i wanted to overtake a big vehicle switching off the AC was the only solution.

Cheers
I agree with Saadat. In my 11,000 km on my Liva Diesel I never faced any issue with the AC. The engine doesn't even blink and accelerates effortlessly with AC on. I have not tested full load though, as my car normally runs with three people at maximum.

Regarding the complain that swiftandfurious has with his rear suspension, it is now getting addressed. For any complaining Etios/Liva owner, Toyota is offering free replacement of the older suspension with the new design, resulting in elimination of the THUD sound from the front and sagging issues in the rear.

I never drove my car with full load, hence had no issues with rear suspension. But planning to go for the free upgrade anyway!
subratasenn is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2013, 23:09   #48
BHPian

@subratasenn, guess you meant "fast&furious". I was keeping options on either the etios petrol or diesel sedan and not liva which obviously being a hatch may not have that much of an issue, however when I saw him mention that the A/C sucks the power to an extent that it kills the fun, it had me wondering since I face the same issue with my current hatch.
SSD2122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 00:54   #49
Senior - BHPian

Post Re: My Black Ghost : Toyota Etios V Ownership Report

Quote:
@subratasenn, guess you meant "fast&furious". I was keeping options on either the etios petrol or diesel sedan and not liva which obviously being a hatch may not have that much of an issue, however when I saw him mention that the A/C sucks the power to an extent that it kills the fun, it had me wondering since I face the same issue with my current hatch.
Even with the AC on, the Etios Petrol is still the most fun to drive Petrol engines out there. Just delay the gear changes a tad bit to compensate for the torque loss.

The real fun is always with the AC off because of the perceived feel of speed with wind noise. With AC on, you won't feel much of the speed on the Etios. Speed masking is good. So, it turns very boring

PS: Above 130 kmph, it's always better to drive with windows up to reduce the effect of wind drag

Last edited by amalji : 1st April 2013 at 00:56.
amalji is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 16:59   #50
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: My Black Ghost : Toyota Etios V Ownership Report

Quote:
Hello SSD2122! I'm not saying that the AC kills the fun completely but it steals a considerable amount of torque at lower rpms. The engine produces plenty of HP so reaching high speeds wont be a problem at all. It can leave most/all of the other cars at or below its price range in dust with ease. That I can assure you but with the AC on you will have to really make the engine work hard to get that initial push that you get otherwise. It's tough to get that raw power, that torque advantage that puts it ahead of the other petrols. My friend's petrol Vento doesn't show this kinda variation with the a/c on. Of course he has more torque and power but with the a/c off (on both cars) the cars are almost evenly matched (in terms of performance) and the Etios outperformed it on many occasions too!

But if you wanna teach that diesel hatch guy who drives as if he owns the road(I tell ya, many do drive like that), all you gotta do is turn the a/c off, roll the windows up, and just floor the throttle. He'll be on your ORVM before you blink (Note: I'm not promoting road rage but just telling the OP about the car's capability). Once you have reached decent speeds and with the engine at 2500+ rpm you wont feel the a/c issue at all.

You may not notice this with the diesels because the torque factor.

But I would go for the petrol simply because of its capability to surprise even the bigger boys out there. It's such a fun to drive engine though I wont call it 'rev happy'.

Btw, I guess there's an article on the Etios facelift in this month's autocar magazine. Do check it.
fast&furious is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 21:10   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast&furious View Post
Hello SSD2122! I'm not saying that the AC kills the fun completely but it steals a considerable amount of torque at lower rpms. The engine produces plenty of HP so reaching high speeds wont be a problem at all. It can leave most/all of the other cars at or below its price range in dust with ease. That I can assure you but with the AC on you will have to really make the engine work hard to get that initial push that you get otherwise. It's tough to get that raw power, that torque advantage that puts it ahead of the other petrols. My friend's petrol Vento doesn't show this kinda variation with the a/c on. Of course he has more torque and power but with the a/c off (on both cars) the cars are almost evenly matched (in terms of performance) and the Etios outperformed it on many occasions too!

But if you wanna teach that diesel hatch guy who drives as if he owns the road(I tell ya, many do drive like that), all you gotta do is turn the a/c off, roll the windows up, and just floor the throttle. He'll be on your ORVM before you blink (Note: I'm not promoting road rage but just telling the OP about the car's capability). Once you have reached decent speeds and with the engine at 2500+ rpm you wont feel the a/c issue at all.

You may not notice this with the diesels because the torque factor.

But I would go for the petrol simply because of its capability to surprise even the bigger boys out there. It's such a fun to drive engine though I wont call it 'rev happy'.

Btw, I guess there's an article on the Etios facelift in this month's autocar magazine. Do check it.
Yeah I agree on "flooring the throttle" part absolutely . It has been quite long now with my getz and I do have to work it up to get that kind of torque. Considering everyone's opinion, somehow I get a feeling that I will end up a winner be it either Etios (P) or Etios (D) . I will have a TD for both and then take a decision. And of course, I will check out autocar magazine.
Old 1st April 2013, 23:32   #52
BHPian

If you're looking for a diesel, why not wait for Honda's Amaze? Initial reviews, reports and the specs indicate that we have a new segment leader.
fast&furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2013, 23:42   #53
BHPian

Yes, just read it and it sure seems to be a new segment winner. If only Etios (P) had better low end torque, my decision would have been made.
Old 1st April 2013, 23:54   #54
BHPian

I would say if you're looking for a fun to drive yet practical and reliable petrol sedan at this price range, go for the Etios. Max. torque is produced at just 3000 rpm and it definitely is the best petrol engine in the entry level sedan range.

Last edited by fast&furious : 1st April 2013 at 23:56.
fast&furious is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 13:40   #55
BHPian

really liked your neutral ownership report fast&furious.

I really do not understand why some people bad-mouth Etios and many a times without even knowing the full picture.

I am seriously considering the Etios diesel. During the test drive I noticed that AC had no impact on torque, and the ride quality was very good. With the facelift available, you get better NVH levels (esp. for diesel).

In India, there are 2 things that fog buyers mind:
1. Car is a status symbol more than a mode of transport
2. obsession with Maruti.

I own a Maruti hatch for the last 5 years and I have no coplaints, but the service costs are extremely high. People say Maruti is synonymous with good service, i would say "easily available service". Good service depends on the dealer + the knowledge/qualification of service engineer. The average service cost of my hatch has been almost 4 times the average service cost of Etios Diesel.

In my opinion it is one of the most practical car, if one does not have a problem with the Taxi image.
vasanthn21 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 14:22   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
I really do not understand why some people bad-mouth Etios and many a times without even knowing the full picture.
We in India care more about what our neighbor feels about the car's looks. Not how useful or ergonomically designed the car is. Toyota and Honda gives high priority to ergonomics and lightness in design and that's why they sell in huge numbers all over the world. Etios is designed only for emerging markets and it's spot on with regards to utility. Our market is not mature enough to acknowledge that.

The same car is the number 3 best seller in south Africa ( behind Toyota hilux and vw polo )

Quote:
I am seriously considering the Etios diesel. During the test drive I noticed that AC had no impact on torque, and the ride quality was very good. With the facelift available, you get better NVH levels (esp. for diesel).
In the price range, there are 3 vehicles that really attract me.

Etios
Ertiga
Amaze

Depending on what you give more priority for, you might want to go for one of these.

Quote:
I own a Maruti hatch for the last 5 years and I have no coplaints, but the service costs are extremely high. People say Maruti is synonymous with good service, i would say "easily available service". Good service depends on the dealer + the knowledge/qualification of service engineer. The average service cost of my hatch has been almost 4 times the average service cost of Etios Diesel.
Having used Marutis for most of my life ( 800 ( Japanese model ), Zen, esteem ) before switching to Toyota, i can relate very easily to this observation. Parts last really long on a Toyota and the maintenance cost is so low.

Quote:
In my opinion it is one of the most practical car, if one does not have a problem with the Taxi image.
World over, Toyotas are used as taxis and there is a reason for that. The hassle free ownership experience, the practicality and the low maintenance cost. We have 2 options - either to use those qualities to our advantage or worry about the taxi image.

Last edited by amalji : 2nd April 2013 at 14:24.
Old 2nd April 2013, 15:10   #57
BHPian

Amalji,

Agree with all your points.

However having said all this, I still would like to believe that Toyota can make their cars look a little premium without spending too much. Look at the low cost cars like Eon and Beat. It is probably just that T does not see value add in improving looks!? rather give an additional/improved feature?!

Last edited by vasanthn21 : 2nd April 2013 at 15:12.
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 15:16   #58
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: My Black Ghost : Toyota Etios V Ownership Report

Quote:
Amalji,

Agree with all your points.

However having said all this, I still would like to believe that Toyota can make their cars look a little premium without spending too much. Look at the low cost cars like Eon and Beat. It is probably just that T does not see value add in improving looks!? rather give an additional/improved feature?!
I also wonder why it's so difficult for them to make it aesthetically pleasing. Because that's the most easy thing to do. Toyota perform almost all difficult things good. And the easy thing - the aesthetics, they don't really care.
They should surely be having some kind of logic for that. Not sure what it is though. They are killing their sales just because of this one aspect.

Regardless, the interiors of the facelift is remarkably better than the old model.
Old 2nd April 2013, 15:24   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amalji View Post
Regardless, the interiors of the facelift is remarkably better than the old model.
Yes, this makes me even more interested in the Etios. In fact, I mentioned in an earlier post in another thread, IMHO Amaze interior looks a little bland when compared with the new Etios interiors.

Sidenote: Looks can be subjective, but Liva is not a bad looker (definitely not in the fluidic zone), but definitely not bad.
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 15:28   #60
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: My Black Ghost : Toyota Etios V Ownership Report

Quote:
IMHO Amaze interior looks a little bland when compared with the new Etios interiors.
Same with me on some angles especially the dash.
But with rear seats, it looks much more plush.
But, I would not blame honda for it because they have done a fantastic job in freeing up so much of space within the 4m constraint.

Quote:
Sidenote: Looks can be subjective, but Liva is not a bad looker (definitely not in the fluidic zone), but definitely not bad.
Liva looks much better than the Etios sedan. My mother who owns a Liva GDSP teases me all the time that her car looks better than mine.