Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 19th March 2012, 22:31   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Ghostrider's Chevrolet Cruze LTZ: Initial Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post

+1 to this. For the second tank the MID's reporting 13kpl, give or take. If this translates into a 12 kpl (again, give or take) fuel economy in the city, there's absolutely no reason you won't get 15 or so on the highway.
12-13 kmpl in city is pretty good, mate. I'm sure you can easily hit 15+ on highways.
Cruzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 13:55   #92
BHPian

FIRST SERVICE IS THIS SATURDAY.

The car will do about 1100 km by the time Saturday comes around. I'm guessing other than a fluid top up and a wash, they really won't do much.
I don't think an oil change is included in the first service... but I could be wrong.

I'll post details about the service experience immediately after.
ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2012, 15:57   #93
BHPian

Quote:
FIRST SERVICE IS THIS SATURDAY.

The car will do about 1100 km by the time Saturday comes around. I'm guessing other than a fluid top up and a wash, they really won't do much.
I don't think an oil change is included in the first service... but I could be wrong.

I'll post details about the service experience immediately after.
I guess the 1000 km service is called RAC (Re-Assurance Check). As the name says, they have a list of things to be checked & reassured. Forgot what all they check as my car's RAC was more than a year ago.
I believe the oil change will be done only at 15000 km service.
Cruzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 11:36   #94
BHPian

Default Update: Poor First Service At Nikhil Auto.

I have to say I'm less than impressed with the whole experience at Nikhil Auto.

WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE:

1. Location: It's terrible. For a carmaker like GM to have it's only service center all the way out in Reay Road is unforgivable. Getting here is a pain.

2. The actual workshop facility: It doesn't look or feel like a service workshop of an international brand... more like a B-market domestic manufacturer. Perhaps I've been spoiled by the Vitesse service center in Prabadhevi, but I felt this was bad by any standards.

3. That professional feel you look for just wasn't there. Half the workshop staff wasnt in uniform, the service advisors were dressed in plainclothes and had their shirts unbuttoned.

4. The unwanted sales pitch: within sixty seconds of meeting the service advisor, he started asking if I wanted a teflon coating, under-body rust treatment, or some oil additives. If you want to make a sale, fine, I respect that, but not at the expense of the proper service due.

5. The washing, or perhaps more specifically, the drying. The washing experience seemed just fine - 2-3 guys working on the car, doing a proper shampoo, and then hosing it down with proper attention to detail.. It's after that that things went wrong:
  • Getting into the car to clean it from the inside with dirty footwear and tracking footprints on my mats.
  • Using microfiber cloths that are wayyy past their prime, so that they leave streaks all over the car when you're drying it
  • Finally giving me a car that looked dirtier than it was when I brought it in

WHAT I LIKED:
1. The fact that the SA accommodated my request for a quick turnaround by bumping me up the line for the washing.
2. There didn't seem to be a lack of effort, just a lack of slickness and professionalism.

The next service is 6 months away, and I'm now contemplating getting it done from Ashtavinayak in Goregaon.
Old 19th June 2012, 23:48   #95
BHPian

NOTES FROM 4200KMs :

What's great:
  • Performance continues to thrill.
  • Turbo-lag manifests very, very rarely. Nothing a downshift for a few seconds wont fix. I'm contemplating getting the Race Dynamics tuning box soon - maybe in the next couple of weeks. Watch this space.
  • Brakes continue to impress, stopping power is fantastic. I'm a little concerned though about threads where owners claim their pads lasted only about 15-20,000 km before they needed to be changed. I find myself downshifting and using engine braking to assist the brakes when I'm slowing down.
  • The driving dynamics are great.
  • Fuel economy's been between 12 and 12.8 kpl on every tank - for a 2L car that serves up 150 horses and ways a ton and a half, I can't complain. What's interesting is the MID on the dash shows the average for the tank at approximately 1kpl higher than what I actually get.

What's not great:
  • Something I've noticed in almost all cars that have sunroofs... there's a small squeak and a soft flapping noise that comes through from the sunshade under the sunroof sometimes when it's open.... I've noticed this in all cars that have sunroofs, and the Cruze is no exception. Annoying.
  • What's more annoying is there seems to be a soft occasional rattle from the drivers side door. It's so soft that most people wouldn't even know it was there, but it still annoys me. And what bugs me is that a 16-lakh car that's done 4,000 kms SHOULDN'T HAVE IT. I'll have it attended to at the 5k service.
ghostrider is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 12:59   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What's more annoying is there seems to be a soft occasional rattle from the drivers side door. It's so soft that most people wouldn't even know it was there, but it still annoys me. And what bugs me is that a 16-lakh car that's done 4,000 kms SHOULDN'T HAVE IT. I'll have it attended to at the 5k service.
This noise comes from the place where you rest your right hand while driving? If yes, it comes for me too on and off and its so soft sometimes i feel it and not hear it.

However for me it started only after 10,000kms and to be honest its so feeble, its not worth even thinking about it
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2012, 13:16   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
This noise comes from the place where you rest your right hand while driving? If yes, it comes for me too on and off and its so soft sometimes i feel it and not hear it.

However for me it started only after 10,000kms and to be honest its so feeble, its not worth even thinking about it
No, its coming from the door... its quite a typical door rattle, but much softer.
And I rest my left arm on the center armrest, not my right on the door.
Old 8th February 2013, 13:27   #98
BHPian

NOTES FROM 10,000 KMs :

What's great:
  • Engine's gotten smoother, as has the gearshift.
  • FE's keeps getting incrementally better. I was getting about 12.5-12.8 kpl in city-driving conditions till last month, when I added a small upgrade. More on this in coming posts... stay tuned <wink>.
  • The minor rattle went away on it's own. The car's completely rattle free after almost 11,000 kms other than a minor squeak from the sunroof rubber lining when you open and close the sunshade.
What's not great:
  • Absolutely nothing with the car. What continues to annoy is Nikhil Auto's service center. It's in the back of beyond and getting there is a pain. Once you get there, it's worse. The workshop is an eyesore, and it has a real fly-by-night look and feel to it. I still maintain that one of the best service centers in the city is Vitesse at Prabhadevi.

Upgrades:
And now we come to the good news. Those of you who've read my previous ownership threads will know that I used to have a Swift-D with an RD box fitted to it. I've been wanting to get this done for a while on the Cruze but GTO advised me to wait until 10,000 kms. I finally waited till 9,500 and then I absolutely HAD to scratch that itch.

The car's now RD'd and it's out-freaking-standing.

I'll be adding a detailed post to this in a couple of days. Kamyo is coming over tomorrow to do a detailing, so pics will follow as well. Stay tuned.
ghostrider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 13:50   #99
Team-BHP Support

Good to read your report and also to know that there is nothing on the downside. I am also having the same problem

There is nothing to complain about the Cruze

Quote:
The car's now RD'd and it's out-freaking-standing
Congrats. Look forward to your detailed report on your thoughts on the RD Box.

Btw, you should have waited a couple of months and gotten the dual channel box. Supposedly, its way better performer than the single-channel.
Old 8th February 2013, 14:02   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Good to read your report and also to know that there is nothing on the downside. I am also having the same problem
There is nothing to complain about the Cruze
Congrats. Look forward to your detailed report on your thoughts on the RD Box.
Btw, you should have waited a couple of months and gotten the dual channel box. Supposedly, its way better performer than the single-channel.
Thanks. I've deliberately gone in for the single channel because I'm not very comfortable with the idea of a non-manufacturer device continuously varying my boost pressure. RD is still testing tolerances on various cars to make sure there's no adverse effects on the turbo.
And thanks to some friends in high places, if I want to move to the dual-channel, I can pay the difference when it comes out.
Old 11th February 2013, 12:44   #101
BHPian

Default UPDATE: 10,000Kms, Race Dynamics, Kamyo Detailing.

Here's a more detailed 10,000 km update.

THE CAR
  • 11,400 km in 12 months
  • 95% of this has been city driving.
  • Other than the rims, tyres, and now the Race Dynamics DT Pro box, she's completely stock.
  • FE when the car was new about a year ago was about 10 kpl in the city. FE now ranges between 12.5-13.5 in the city and about 15.5-16 on the highway.
  • No part failures, breakdowns, or even a single squeak or rattle.
In about 11,000 km, I've really got nothing to complain about. The car's been immensely reliable, and I haven't had to make a single unscheduled visit to the service center.
So far, there's been two services not counting the 1500 km 'reassurance check' that they do. Oil was changed @ 10,000 km. So far I'm using GM's stock oil for the Cruze, I'll make the switch to my own synthetic oil choice when the next oil change is due.
The engine's gotten progressively smoother over time, and the gearshift's also become smoother as it does with all cars. She still doesn't feel completely 'run-in' though - I think that will probably happen in another 5,000 km or so.

RACE DYNAMICS FOR THE WIN!
So I finally went ahead and got the Race Dynamics Dieseltronic Pro fitted after 10,000 km. She's a completely different animal with the box fitted. In P1 you feel the gain all the way to 140-160, but what's great is the fact that you can now also potter around at 25-30 kph in 3rd gear with very minimal turbo lag. The lag's definitely reduced which makes city driving a whole lot easier.
I toyed with the idea of waiting for the dual-channel box that Race Dynamics is coming out with soon, but based on some extremely good advice from Bhoj (the RD distributor in Bombay) I went ahead with the single channel.
FE's also gone up slightly with the RD box. The car's been on P1 ever since the box was fitted, and the economy's gone up from about 12.5 to about 13.5 kpl.
The only issue continues to be smoke under extreme acceleration. I'm going to give this a little bit of time and then see if a Green Cotton filter will help the car breathe better and stop the smoke under heavy throttle.

KAMYO CAR DETAILING.
One year in our polluted climes meant she was crying out for some detailing. I'm fortunate that I've got basement parking both at work and at home, but we still live in so much dust and pollution that the glossy black paint had lost a lot of it's shine.
I called Jehangir and scheduled a visit for the 'Super Detail', which includes exteriors, interiors and the engine bay. Jehangir arrived with his team of 5, and they worked from 9:30 in the morning to 4:30 in the afternoon. Every nook, cranny, and crevice of the car is now gleaming including those pesky spaces around and in between the various badges and logos. I cannot recommend Kamyo enough - they are absolutely outstanding. I'll let the pics speak for themselves (they're from a phone cam, sorry). See if you can spot the Race Dynamics box in the engine bay.
Attached Thumbnails
Ghostrider's Chevrolet Cruze LTZ: Initial Ownership Review-wp_20130209_008.jpg  

Ghostrider's Chevrolet Cruze LTZ: Initial Ownership Review-wp_20130209_005.jpg  

Ghostrider's Chevrolet Cruze LTZ: Initial Ownership Review-wp_20130209_003.jpg  

Ghostrider's Chevrolet Cruze LTZ: Initial Ownership Review-wp_20130209_009.jpg  

Ghostrider's Chevrolet Cruze LTZ: Initial Ownership Review-wp_20130209_007.jpg  

Ghostrider's Chevrolet Cruze LTZ: Initial Ownership Review-wp_20130209_001.jpg  

Ghostrider's Chevrolet Cruze LTZ: Initial Ownership Review-wp_20130209_010.jpg  

Last edited by ghostrider : 11th February 2013 at 12:50.
ghostrider is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 15:19   #102
Team-BHP Support

Looks nice after the detailing. Care to share the cost of the interior and exterior detailing?

Btw, IMO the box is fitted in a wrong location.

You should have found a spot at the back of the bonnet affixed to the wall. I found such a spot which is out of way from all other engine components
Old 11th February 2013, 23:23   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

You should have found a spot at the back of the bonnet affixed to the wall. I found such a spot which is out of way from all other engine components
It depends on how the engine is laid out in the Cruze. Is the turbo/exhaust at the back or is the intake at the back?

The current location allows air and will keep the RD box cool plus it's right next to the ECU so close to the main electronics.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 08:28   #104
BHPian

Hi ghostrider, your cruze looks smashing in the black colour and those alloys look super cool. Absolutely fantastic joob with detailing, if possible do share with us the cost of the same.

Also, what are the mats that you are using, look a bit different.
Shreyas Aterkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 15:37   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Looks nice after the detailing. Care to share the cost of the interior and exterior detailing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyas Aterkar View Post
Hi ghostrider, your cruze looks smashing in the black colour and those alloys look super cool. Absolutely fantastic joob with detailing, if possible do share with us the cost of the same.
Also, what are the mats that you are using, look a bit different.
Thanks Shreyas, Mobike. Kamyo charges 4k for exterior detailing, and 2.5k for interior detailing. However, if you choose the 'Super Detail' option, it's 5.5k for both plus the engine bay.
Here's a link to Kamyo's website which lists various detailing options prices. http://kamyo.in/prices

The mats are the original Cruze carpet mats that GM charges for but I got thrown in as part of my freebies when I bought the car. They're some of the best mats I've seen... very plush, they look nice, and they're rubber lined at the bottom and they've got velcro on the underside which lines up to velcro strips on the main carpet in the car to hold the mats firmly in place.
I don't use them in the monsoon - I use black plastic matting because it's easier to clean. I've added a pic of the mats for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
It depends on how the engine is laid out in the Cruze. Is the turbo/exhaust at the back or is the intake at the back?
The current location allows air and will keep the RD box cool plus it's right next to the ECU so close to the main electronics.
Quote:

Not necessarily. I didn't want to have exposed wiring running from the firewall to the port. There's enough place for the box to fit there quite comfortably, and it doesn't foul with any intakes. In fact, it's quite securely fitted where it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Ghostrider's Chevrolet Cruze LTZ: Initial Ownership Review-wp_20130209_011.jpg  

Last edited by ghostrider : 12th February 2013 at 15:41.
ghostrider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote