Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 4th August 2012, 15:34   #181
Senior - BHPian

Default re: TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 53k kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Also sometimes when the AC is on there is a whining kind of sound which increases a bit with the rpm, need to get that checked up too.
Pay close attention to where this sound is coming from. It could be alternator whine and may not have anything to do with the air conditioner.

I had this problem on my Fiat Linea. I could hear a faint whine from the car speakers even if the stereo and air conditioner was switched off. It was impossible to replicate the whine and show this to the engineer. After first service, the whine has not surfaced. Though I reported it as the things to check during first service, I doubt if they did anything about it. The problem just disappeared.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2012, 15:35   #182
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Pay close attention to where this sound is coming from. It could be alternator whine and may not have anything to do with the air conditioner.

I had this problem on my Fiat Linea. I could hear a faint whine from the car speakers even if the stereo and air conditioner was switched off. It was impossible to replicate the whine and show this to the engineer. After first service, the whine has not surfaced. Though I reported it as the things to check during first service, I doubt if they did anything about it. The problem just disappeared.
Its not alternator whine, and if the sound is there the noise dies completely if I put of the AC completely.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2012, 16:25   #183
BHPian

Even my car makes a similar whine when the ac is on. I can hear it only when the music is off. It comes somewhere from the left hand side of the dashboard. It increases slowly with the rpm. Usually it happens if I've been driving for a long duration and it doesn't always appear in short distance trips. Surprisingly my car started getting the whine AFTER it came back from service. I had given it to them to sort an ac issue. Mine is a Spark though and the service guys couldn't figure out much later.
StrangeWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2012, 18:35   #184
Team-BHP Support

Horrible Skoda Service? Whats that? I DONT KNOW.

Its something which has been overhyped in the last few years, yes some people have had terrible experiences, but that happens with every brand.

I had an appointment at 9am yesterday, and I was late by 3 hours. lol. They took my car in, no issues. I had told them it requires an oil top up, the ac doesn't cool properly sometimes, and the suspension seemed a slight bit loose, also the horn button didn't seem to work properly sometimes.

The only issue they had with my late submission was that I wouldn't get the back the same day. They said I would get it this afternoon. And today by 12 a clock, the SA called and said it would be available by 330-4. He then called later and requested me to come by 430, and I finally went there by 530.

The car was ready, I had to wait for literally 5 minutes, all formalities completed. The car was washed well, vacuumed from inside and cleaned too. I forgot to tell them not to put that silly dashboard polish.

All I can say is that this is at par with my BMW and Honda experiences. I really don't think the after sales should discourage anyone from buying a Skoda.

Anyway back to the car, the AC seems to be cooling better considering they cleaned the condensor. Also the first check up was done, and the horn too seems to be working fine.

Thats all for now

P.S - It helps knowing the Service Manager at Skoda, BMW and Honda
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 10:58   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Horrible Skoda Service? Whats that? I DONT KNOW.

Its something which has been overhyped in the last few years, yes some people have had terrible experiences, but that happens with every brand.
+1
Skoda service has improved dramatically and in some cities its better than VW.
Raosaheb Desai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 11:06   #186
Senior - BHPian

You should post your service feedback on the Skoda Hammering thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...opean-car.html (7 Simple Guidelines if you're buying a European car) Will give a valuable insight to many.
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 14:02   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

I recently had the opportunity of having my wife's VW polo serviced. First service.

I can tell you for a fact that I rate my experiences at Skoda service as better, more professional and pleasant. Even the VW car was not delivered back clean.

Specifics: I use the Skoda/Autobahn service facility at Kalina, Mumbai and compared it to the VW/Shaman service facility in the same area.

P.S. Even the follow-up phone call from VW was pathetic.

I'm calling from blah blah blah regarding your car blah blah blah that was given on service on blah blah, I am calling to survey your experience in order to blah blah.... Can I take a minute?

Umm.. you just did already.

After the usual questions ending with a "very satisfied, quite satisfied, satisfied, not satisfied, not at all satisfied" - why does he have to say it after EVERY question???

Sir, have you taken your car before for the same problem to the service centre.
As I have told you earlier, the car had no problem, I took it for the first service.
Yes sir. Have you had the first service done before.

Voice raised slightly in impatience: Well if I had done the first service before then this wouldn't have been called the FIRST service then would it?

No sir, what I mean to ask is have you brought the car to our service centre before to attend to the same problem that you did now?

I said
(now slowly and louder) I did not have a problem. I sent the car for a regular first service.

yes sir, have you sent it before for the first service?

Click.I just couldn't take it any more.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 9th August 2012 at 14:09.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2012, 14:08   #188
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I recently had the opportunity of having my wife's VW polo serviced. First service.

I can tell you for a fact that I rate my experiences at Skoda service as better, more professional and pleasant.

Specifics: I use the Skoda/Autobahn service facility at Kalina, Mumbai and compared it to the VW/Shaman service facility in the same area.
Thats quite true. A friend recently filled petrol in his diesel Vento by mistake, and got the car put on a flatbed from the petrol pump straight to the workshop. It was there for a month totally, with many parts replaced (don't understand why) and there is still some odd vibration at idle. A job which should have taken a day or 2 to complete, just cleaning out the fuel system and replacing the fuel filter took so long.

Not only that, the staff seemed incompetent. Imagine by horror when the service manager himself came on the test drive with us and when the car lost all power at 2500rpm he said we should not rev that high. LOL.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 9th August 2012 at 14:09.
Old 9th August 2012, 14:12   #189
Senior - BHPian

Finally!
Good to see someone NOT bashing Skoda after sales! Not that they were saints, but, these guys have started on improving their game.

Ive been getting good service from the guys in Europa for quite sometime now. And thats for all the 3 Skoda's that I have/had. One major DSG failure, but these guys did their best to give the car back asap.

Oh BTW, the last statement made does make a lot of sense. Its always better to know your SA in Skoda. Just in case.

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 9th August 2012 at 14:13.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2012, 13:24   #190
BHPian

Hi Akshay ,

I would like to start off by saying you have very good taste in cars . Your ownership threads have been a joy to read . I just wanted to put a couple of questions to you . Before that I would like to tell you that I'm looking at a petrol Laura.

I'm in love with the Laura in Race Blue but the salesman at the dealership here in Chennai said that getting paint or body parts for the blue color would be hard as its unique to the vRS alone and not produced in sufficient quantities . Is this true ? I was quite skeptical as he was also trying to push a black vRS they had in stock already . If there is anyone who has a Race Blue RS on T-BHP could you point me to them ?

My second question is whether the vRS is worth the 2.5L(OTR) premium over the Ambiente trim as the cars are mechanically the same except for the tweaked suspension ( I'm open to correction) . I will be doing stage 1 mods (Pete's) on the car a few months after I get the car itself so would it be worthwhile to stick to the lower trim ?

Sorry for hijacking your thread , I will start my own once I get my car .

Thanks,
Balaji
diffuser is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 21:17   #191
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffuser View Post

I'm in love with the Laura in Race Blue but the salesman at the dealership here in Chennai said that getting paint or body parts for the blue color would be hard as its unique to the vRS alone and not produced in sufficient quantities . Is this true ? I was quite skeptical as he was also trying to push a black vRS they had in stock already . If there is anyone who has a Race Blue RS on T-BHP could you point me to them ?

My second question is whether the vRS is worth the 2.5L(OTR) premium over the Ambiente trim as the cars are mechanically the same except for the tweaked suspension ( I'm open to correction) . I will be doing stage 1 mods (Pete's) on the car a few months after I get the car itself so would it be worthwhile to stick to the lower trim ?
Apologies for the late reply, slipped my mind.

To be honest, it is a possibility that the paint may take a slight bit longer to get, but it should not be something that should change your decision on a colour. I think someone had booked a race blue vRS but I cannot remember, quite a few owners now lol.

To be very honest with you, if you can comfortably afford the 2.5l it will not be wasted. The sports seats, all black interiors, steering wheel, touch screen, and the sunroof apart from the exterior bits do add to the feel good part of it. The tsi with beige everywhere doesn't appeal to me as much.

What stage 1 mods will you be doing? Remap and exhaust, or even the suspension?
Old 24th August 2012, 12:06   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Apologies for the late reply, slipped my mind.

To be honest, it is a possibility that the paint may take a slight bit longer to get, but it should not be something that should change your decision on a colour. I think someone had booked a race blue vRS but I cannot remember, quite a few owners now lol.

To be very honest with you, if you can comfortably afford the 2.5l it will not be wasted. The sports seats, all black interiors, steering wheel, touch screen, and the sunroof apart from the exterior bits do add to the feel good part of it. The tsi with beige everywhere doesn't appeal to me as much.

What stage 1 mods will you be doing? Remap and exhaust, or even the suspension?

Thanks for the reply akshay. I've decided to get the vRS because I found out that the ambiente trim comes with only 2 airbags as opposed to 4 in the vRS . That IMO along with the interior is worth the 2.5L premium . The color will be race blue for sure, I'm yet to see a race blue vRS in Chennai. I will be getting the custom code stage 1 remap , Bilstein B6 suspension . The exhaust and brakes I'm yet to decide on which . The only exhaust I found is the Milltek one . Any other exhaust options , only full system not just the end can ? I prefer a deep sound to a loud exhaust. Brakes too I'm confused as to whether I should get Brembo or Tarox . I'm glad I'll have time to think about the mods ( mobilizing finances will take time lol ). Will start a thread on the car soon hopefully .

Regards,
Balaji
diffuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 13:05   #193
BHPian

Amazing car! This thread has really got me thinking about the vRS. I know this is a pretty vague question (different customer base, etc etc) but given that both the vRS and A4 1.8 share the same engine. Is it worth the extra 10 lakh premium? (Assuming i get a really tempting discount on the petrol Audi)?
saketa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 14:03   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saketa View Post
Amazing car! This thread has really got me thinking about the vRS. I know this is a pretty vague question (different customer base, etc etc) but given that both the vRS and A4 1.8 share the same engine. Is it worth the extra 10 lakh premium? (Assuming i get a really tempting discount on the petrol Audi)?
Not just the engine they share a lot of other components as well. But the two can't really be compared as they cater to different segments.

Audi is a much more aspirational brand than Skoda and the A4 is a couple of segments above the vRS. The new A4 with the 1.8 TFSI engine has its power upped to 170 ps and has more torque too. It comes only with the AT box and there is no manual option. On road performance may be similar between the two, (the vRS may be slightly quicker due to the manual GB). It all depends on what you want. For sheer value for money brands like Skoda and VW deliver plenty compared to Audis, BMW etc... If value for money was everything then nobody would buy high end smart phones, watches, etc...

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 28th August 2012 at 14:05.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 14:27   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Not just the engine they share a lot of other components as well. But the two can't really be compared as they cater to different segments.

Audi is a much more aspirational brand than Skoda and the A4 is a couple of segments above the vRS. The new A4 with the 1.8 TFSI engine has its power upped to 170 ps and has more torque too. It comes only with the AT box and there is no manual option. On road performance may be similar between the two, (the vRS may be slightly quicker due to the manual GB). It all depends on what you want. For sheer value for money brands like Skoda and VW deliver plenty compared to Audis, BMW etc... If value for money was everything then nobody would buy high end smart phones, watches, etc...
Exactly why i put a rider in brackets saying it is different segment/market etc. But that was not my question exactly. That a superb offers more value for money in absolute terms is beyond doubt. But my question is given that the laura,superb and A4 petrol share similar engines, does the A4 at 28L still make a good buy? (As compared to any other petrol car in the 25L + Segment) such as the 3, S60 etc. for a self driven, driver centric car.
Somehow after driving petrol cars for the past few years, I was not amazed by the 320d's performance. Don't get be wrong. Its a really good car but not sure if its worth the 8 Lakh premium over the A4 petrol for a guy who does not travel more than 600 kms a month and wants to drive a good, comfortable car. Snob value is always an added bonus

Last edited by saketa : 28th August 2012 at 14:28. Reason: None
saketa is offline   Reply With Quote