Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th August 2012, 15:17   #196
Senior - BHPian

Default re: TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 53k kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saketa View Post
Exactly why i put a rider in brackets saying it is different segment/market etc. But that was not my question exactly. That a superb offers more value for money in absolute terms is beyond doubt. But my question is given that the laura,superb and A4 petrol share similar engines, does the A4 at 28L still make a good buy? (As compared to any other petrol car in the 25L + Segment) such as the 3, S60 etc. for a self driven, driver centric car.
Somehow after driving petrol cars for the past few years, I was not amazed by the 320d's performance. Don't get be wrong. Its a really good car but not sure if its worth the 8 Lakh premium over the A4 petrol for a guy who does not travel more than 600 kms a month and wants to drive a good, comfortable car. Snob value is always an added bonus
Don't worry so much about engine sharing. The engine sharing between Skoda and Audi stops not only at the A4, it even goes up to the A6 (in case of the 2.0 Tdi) .

If you are looking a driver centric car the A4 may not be the best option. I haven't driven one, but from what I read, the A4 is best driven in a relaxed manner.

On one of my highway drives I had fun keeping an A4 2.0 TFSI behind me for more than 200 kms. No matter how hard he tried , my humble Laura TSI was able to out accelerate the A4 almost every time he tried to do a number on me.
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2012, 15:24   #197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
given that both the vRS and A4 1.8 share the same engine. Is it worth the extra 10 lakh premium? (Assuming i get a really tempting discount on the petrol Audi)?
Absolutely.
If you are comparing the vRS with the A4 1.8TSi, it's quite pointless to buy the A4, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Not just the engine they share a lot of other components as well. But the two can't really be compared as they cater to different segments.

Audi is a much more aspirational brand than Skoda and the A4 is a couple of segments above the vRS. The new A4 with the 1.8 TFSI engine has its power upped to 170 ps and has more torque too. It comes only with the AT box and there is no manual option. On road performance may be similar between the two, (the vRS may be slightly quicker due to the manual GB). It all depends on what you want. For sheer value for money brands like Skoda and VW deliver plenty compared to Audis, BMW etc... If value for money was everything then nobody would buy high end smart phones, watches, etc...
Well, if snob value is a criteria then OK.
But some people buy smart phones because they help get a lot of stuff done, watches - I don't know. Ever since I started owning a mobile phone, I have never used a watch.

Regarding the A4 - the 1.8TSi does not even come with Quattro! The extra 10 odd BHP would be more than consumed by the much higher weight of the A4 compared to the vRS. So what's the point of paying so many lakhs more? If it was about the A4 3.2 TFSi Quatro, etc, may be - if one has that much money to spend...

BTW, I have not driven an Audi at all, but if Quattro really changes the driver's experience as claimed, then why buy an Audi without Quattro. And if it's just a hype and does not change the driving dynamics magically, then why buy an Audi at all...

Cheers!

Last edited by anandpadhye : 28th August 2012 at 15:26.
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 11:06   #198
BHPian

Question re: TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 53k kms up!

But suprisingly all the reviews (Autocar, Zigwheels) of the 1.8 praise its ability to balance a city commute as well as a highway run. I'm not looking at ridiculously good performance but enough to bring a smile to your face and not let you down when you floor the accelerator every now and then (which didnt happen when i tested the 320i (Old))
saketa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2012, 11:14   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But suprisingly all the reviews (Autocar, Zigwheels) of the 1.8 praise its ability to balance a city commute as well as a highway run. I'm not looking at ridiculously good performance but enough to bring a smile to your face and not let you down when you floor the accelerator every now and then (which didnt happen when i tested the 320i (Old))
Not sure if you are responding to my post, but yes 1.8TSi is a fantastic engine. The Laura always brings simle to my face whenever I take that steering and step on the accelerator - even after a rough day in office.

I have not driven a BMW yet, but have been reading all the 3 series reviews and understood from all of them that 320i was not a car that BMW would be proud of. Just another example of the fact that all models launched by the 3 Germans aren't necessarily worthy of their name.

Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2012, 21:14   #200
Team-BHP Support

And the car is not a virgin anymore A motorbike banged into a rear tail light and broke it. Hopefully it should be in stock and I will send the car on Monday to get it replaced. Also the alignment seems a bit off and even the steering is a bit off centre. With the kind of potholes Bombays roads have frankly I am not one bit surprised. The car is on 8800kms now, no issues really, touchwood.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 1st September 2012 at 21:17.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2012, 22:24   #201
BHPian

That's sad to hear Akshay. No offence to our biker friends on the community but I've seen these folks in Mumbai commit driving offences with alarming regularity. Just far too many - even for the cops' liking! Here's a recent gem: upon gently reminding a good fella that he was riding at speed on the pavement meant for pedestrians (and in the wrong direction to boot), our guy quickly quipped (replete with a dismissive gesture btw) and I quote, "Oye two wheelers ke liye koi rules nahi hote (there are no rules for bikers!). Touché.

Anyway hopefully you can get the tail lamp fixed on Monday itself with minimum hassles.

But for me, it's super duper to know that the RS has no issues, no faults after almost 9K on the odo. Cheers to that buddy!!

Last edited by Omtoatom : 1st September 2012 at 22:27.
Omtoatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 11:37   #202
BHPian

The Laura Alignment is an issue. Steering offcenter issue has been addressed in my car about 3 times so far in 2 years. They fix it, it comes back. They fix it again. Sigh.. IF only it wasnt for the sexy engine!!!
prithwi-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 20:15   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81
The Laura Alignment is an issue. Steering offcenter issue has been addressed in my car about 3 times so far in 2 years. They fix it, it comes back. They fix it again. Sigh.. IF only it wasnt for the sexy engine!!!
Is that the case?? I really haven't read too many complaints about this particular issue with the Laura - much less this being a recurring one. Are you sure this isn't specific to your car only and is generic?

Also making a mental note to vet this with other Laura owners on the forum.

Akshay: would you also check with your SA and keep us posted please? Thanks.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 3rd September 2012 at 20:17.
Omtoatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 21:57   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom

Is that the case?? I really haven't read too many complaints about this particular issue with the Laura - much less this being a recurring one. Are you sure this isn't specific to your car only and is generic?

Also making a mental note to vet this with other Laura owners on the forum.

Akshay: would you also check with your SA and keep us posted please? Thanks.
This issue on the alignment is more because of lack of calibration on the workshop equipment, and same is the case with most Skoda workshops. I have seen it myself during the servicing of my yeti. Skoda guys themselves admit this and many a times get the alignment done from outside.
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 02:25   #205
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post

Anyway hopefully you can get the tail lamp fixed on Monday itself with minimum hassles.

But for me, it's super duper to know that the RS has no issues, no faults after almost 9K on the odo. Cheers to that buddy!!
Its best I don't give my opinion on Mumbai bikers over here. Only * would be visbile lol.

Didn't end up fixing the light today, will do so tomorrow I think. Also going to get the ac whine checked. And my horn (hella aftermarket) doesn't work properly, I think its the hornpad since I have had the same hellas on other cars and they lasted much longer.

Anyway also took the car to Pune today. It was raining to drove pretty sedately, didn't cross 120 much. The car gave me 13 odd kmpl on the way, which was mid morning, and 15.5 on the way back which was later at night. I was surprised to say the least. Wondering what the Bimmer would give in a similar situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
So its not only me, will get it checked when it goes to the service centre.
Old 4th September 2012, 15:03   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
And the car is not a virgin anymore A motorbike banged into a rear tail light and broke it. Hopefully it should be in stock and I will send the car on Monday to get it replaced. Also the alignment seems a bit off and even the steering is a bit off centre. With the kind of potholes Bombays roads have frankly I am not one bit surprised. The car is on 8800kms now, no issues really, touchwood.
Last friday a biker banged on my vRS rear and broke my left tail lamp.
Time being i have covered it with a tape and might send to repair tomorrow.
motor_breathing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 11:11   #207
BHPian

Got the tail lamp replaced. Total came to around 7K including washing and all. The part cost was ~6K. I was not impressed at all by the quality of skoda service center cleaning. Car came back with stains on the seats and glasses. Yesterday I managed to clean it well spending nearly two and a half hours!
motor_breathing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 12:58   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
This issue on the alignment is more because of lack of calibration on the workshop equipment, and same is the case with most Skoda workshops. I have seen it myself during the servicing of my yeti. Skoda guys themselves admit this and many a times get the alignment done from outside.
Yes, this is a recurring issue with with most Lauras. Spoke to a lot of chaps at the dealership, workers and owners alike. People dont report it cuz they either ignore it or get used to it thank to our brilliant roads. Part of the reason for this is the 'rough road' suspension height, partly its because of soft bushings.

Coming from a line of Evos and STIs, steering misalingment is an absolute no no for me, so i pick it up and sit on the workshop guys head.
prithwi-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2012, 15:03   #209
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_breathing View Post
Got the tail lamp replaced. Total came to around 7K including washing and all. The part cost was ~6K. I was not impressed at all by the quality of skoda service center cleaning. Car came back with stains on the seats and glasses. Yesterday I managed to clean it well spending nearly two and a half hours!
You should have called them up and got them to do it. Wait, you got your car picked up and dropped off? Big mistake. I always make it a point to always pick up my car, even if I can't drop it off. Just so that you can see the work done and get them to rectify anything if not done properly, like this.

Still haven't had time to send the car for the tail lamp replacement. Cars done 9k kms now. I think I'm going to get the first service done at 10k kms and get all this fixed together.
Old 17th September 2012, 15:39   #210
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Have both a Laura L&K AT (earlier PD) and a Aria Pride 4X4. Just to give a comparo of two typical parts that break first in accidents since both land OTR around 19L in Mumbai.

1) Rear Tail Light - Laura - Rs. 6.7K including installation and Taxes, Aria Rs. 1.5 K including installation and Taxes.
2) Side Mirrors - Laura - Rs. 17K (earlier model with heater and auto dimming) - not aware of the current model) including Taxes and fixing charges. Aria - Rs. 4K (again heated and also Auto/Power Folding unlike the Laura.
3) Headlights - Need we even go there --- With the Laura we are speaking in the 25K+ zone and the total cost will depend on the bulb (also damaged or OK) and varient (Xenon or not etc.).

Akshay Sorry about this minor hijack OT on your thread.

Yep the Skoda Parts cost a bomb - The vehicle is cheaper than the sum total of the parts cost for sure.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote