Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 17th September 2012, 17:11   #211
BHPian

Default re: TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 53k kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Yep the Skoda Parts cost a bomb - The vehicle is cheaper than the sum total of the parts cost for sure.
. You have put it very properly. I have also taken the plunge and booked the Laura TSI ambition, let me see what am I going to encounter in future.

PS - Sorry to be OT.
Shreyas Aterkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2012, 16:00   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Have both a Laura L&K AT (earlier PD) and a Aria Pride 4X4. Just to give a comparo of two typical parts that break first in accidents since both land OTR around 19L in Mumbai.

1) Rear Tail Light - Laura - Rs. 6.7K including installation and Taxes, Aria Rs. 1.5 K including installation and Taxes.
2) Side Mirrors - Laura - Rs. 17K (earlier model with heater and auto dimming) - not aware of the current model) including Taxes and fixing charges. Aria - Rs. 4K (again heated and also Auto/Power Folding unlike the Laura.
3) Headlights - Need we even go there --- With the Laura we are speaking in the 25K+ zone and the total cost will depend on the bulb (also damaged or OK) and varient (Xenon or not etc.).

Yep the Skoda Parts cost a bomb - The vehicle is cheaper than the sum total of the parts cost for sure.
So a comprehensive, bumper to bumper insurance makes most sense when it comes to SKODA.
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2012, 17:22   #213
Team-BHP Support

Update -

The car is now at 12,500kms. Yes you read right, LOL, since March thats how much it has run. Time to send it for the first service. The engine does seem a bit noisier and less smooth. The car feels just the same besides the engine which has now opened up well. Its a joy to drive anywhere, and with the TSI and its wide torque band and the slick 6 speed manual you can make the most out of any situation besides of course bumper to bumper. I also filled it up with speed 97 twice and while I'm not sure of the acceleration improvement, the engine sounds so much happier with the better fuel. It felt like a different car altogether, definitely recommended if you are taking your TSI on a long drive.

Nothing else to really update, the tail lamp which had cracked got replaced. And also my driver managed to dent the left side running board, god knows how. Anyway that too was replaced (yes cut off with a new bit welded back on) and it looks as good as new now.
Akshay1234 is online now   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2012, 18:22   #214
Team-BHP Support

Forgot to mention, I'm kind of disappointed with the A drive R1s. Wouldn't recommend them for vRS owners in the stock size. They have gotten pretty noisy and the ride too is stiff. The grip is fine though, they kind of remind me of the Potenza G3 of a few years ago. Hopefully these tyres will wear out soon so I can switch over to Advans or Michelins in 225.
Akshay1234 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 11:57   #215
Senior - BHPian

I thought the A Drives were a non noisy set of tyres!
This actually makes me change the tyre replacement scenario, I had for my Laura.
IIRC Anshuman also has the same for his Laura too, right? Dont remember reading about these being noisy on his car.

About the running board repair, is it advisable to cut it and weld it back? Have the same issue on the Swift, when wifey scraped it on those small dividers.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 19:02   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234
Forgot to mention, I'm kind of disappointed with the A drive R1s. Wouldn't recommend them for vRS owners in the stock size. They have gotten pretty noisy and the ride too is stiff. The grip is fine though, they kind of remind me of the Potenza G3 of a few years ago. Hopefully these tyres will wear out soon so I can switch over to Advans or Michelins in 225.
I did upgrade my VRS with A drive about 2 months back. I agree on stiffness but don't think they are noisy. It may be too early with just 1k clocked on odometer but agree A drive is not the best of choice. I would have rather gone for S drive but there was no stock with dealer.
vishaltanksale is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2012, 19:55   #217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
I thought the A Drives were a non noisy set of tyres!
This actually makes me change the tyre replacement scenario, I had for my Laura.
IIRC Anshuman also has the same for his Laura too, right? Dont remember reading about these being noisy on his car.

About the running board repair, is it advisable to cut it and weld it back? Have the same issue on the Swift, when wifey scraped it on those small dividers.
These are the A drive R1s we are talking about. Normal A drive too are budget tyres. But one thing is for sure, these tyres can take some abuse.

The running board had a decent size dent, I don't think there was another option. Either way its difficult to see that any work was done there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishaltanksale View Post
I did upgrade my VRS with A drive about 2 months back. I agree on stiffness but don't think they are noisy. It may be too early with just 1k clocked on odometer but agree A drive is not the best of choice. I would have rather gone for S drive but there was no stock with dealer.
They will get a bit noisy after a few thousand kms. These aren't terrible tyres, but unfortunately like you said hardly any options in the stock size.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 15th November 2012 at 19:56.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2012, 20:02   #218
Team-BHP Support

1st Service

Dropped the car off this morning for the first service, felt the engine noise had increased a tad bit. No complaints whatsoever besides the passenger seat which would make some noise when it was empty. Picked up the car at 630pm, with it totally clean, vacuumed from the inside etc. The passenger seat noise seems to have been solved. They put in 4.6 litres of some Castrol oil (wish Shell was used) and changed the oil and fuel filter. The bill came to 8k odd. Its not bad for a service once every 13k kms odd.

Again let me repeat, at least in Mumbai people don't need to worry about Skoda service. Its really improved.

Will write a short report on my impressions of the car after about 9 months of owning it in a few days.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 21st November 2012 at 20:15.
Akshay1234 is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 00:14   #219
BHPian

Quote:

They put in 4.6 litres of some Castrol oil (wish Shell was used) and changed the oil and fuel filter. The bill came to 8k odd. Its not bad for a service once every 13k kms odd.
Sounds pretty reasonable, considering synthetic oil is approx 50% of the total service bill. I also am a tad bit disappointed with the castrol oil usage, wish they go back to shell.

Is the 13k service interval based on a recommendation from Skoda ?

Quote:

Again let me repeat, at least in Mumbai people don't need to worry about Skoda service. Its really improved.
I feel the same about Mahavir skoda in Hyderabad , I have had a great experience with them. Overall no complaints.
Motoringlover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2012, 23:55   #220
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
Sounds pretty reasonable, considering synthetic oil is approx 50% of the total service bill. I also am a tad bit disappointed with the castrol oil usage, wish they go back to shell.

Is the 13k service interval based on a recommendation from Skoda ?
The guy there said they use Shell or Castrol or Mobil1 since all are VW approved and synthetic. Guess it shouldn't be an issue, but I just like Shell oil more.

The 13k was because I felt it needed a service. In rough conditions, with lots of traffic etc I think a service a bit earlier is better as preventive maintenance. Skoda says one year or 15k kms.
Old 23rd November 2012, 00:21   #221
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

13K is just about right I believe because of the dusty conditions and poor quality fuel usage in India.
I am servicing at around 11K with OWS turbo racing or Mobil 1 oil as my engine is modded.
Moreover, I clean the airfilter every 5K kms.
robimahanta is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 00:42   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I remember during ownership of my Laura 1.9 PD L&K from 2006-2010 the service interval was 7500 km or 6 months.

The bills would also amount to aprox 7.5-9k every service.

The new service interval is greatly improved making the bills exactly half
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2012, 00:57   #223
BHPian

Quote:

Very heartening Akshay considering my RS will go through the same ritual shortly. Did you pick JMD, Autobahn or Senator for this?
Omtoatom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 00:13   #224
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
Very heartening Akshay considering my RS will go through the same ritual shortly. Did you pick JMD, Autobahn or Senator for this?
Autobahn in Sewri, just a few minutes away from where I live.
Old 27th November 2012, 13:34   #225
BHPian

Post re: TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 53k kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Autobahn in Sewri, just a few minutes away from where I live.
That's the glitch. There is nothing really close to where I live. Sewri (Autobahn), Bhandup (JMD) are pretty far and equidistant in that sense.

Any clue if Senator has a workshop in the 'burbs though they're new and I'm little wary of trusting them with my car.
Omtoatom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote