Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 27th November 2012, 13:39   #226
Team-BHP Support

Default re: TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 53k kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
That's the glitch. There is nothing really close to where I live. Sewri (Autobahn), Bhandup (JMD) are pretty far and equidistant in that sense.

Any clue if Senator has a workshop in the 'burbs though they're new and I'm little wary of trusting them with my car.
I'm not sure really. But since the service is not that often you should probably send it to a known workshop, in this case Autobahn. Can send you the service advisors number if you want.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2012, 14:59   #227
BHPian

Yup that is precisely what I plan to do. Do PM me the SA's number. Will give him your reference. Hopefully that should do the trick
Omtoatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 17:38   #228
Team-BHP Support

Heres an interesting fact, apparently the exhaust of the vRS is slightly different from the regular tsi too.

In my car, when at low revvs there is slight resonance and a burble from the exhaust. All the while till now I thought it was normal. Met a friend a few days ago and was asking him whether his car his resonance at 1000-1250 odd rpm too, and he said it doesn't and only the vRS has it. Another common friend of ours also has a vRS and this friend has driven both. He said his tsi is completely silent and only the vRS has this burble. So it is likely that Skoda changed the exhaust, though I don't understand why it was not made public.

Anyway I intend on checking this out further. And if its true, well then its a nice surprise.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 19:59   #229
BHPian

Oh I too have noticed this several times in my vRS. Never thought anything of it, never even gave it a second consideration. Now I have to get my hands on my friend's regular TSI.

Well well well, what have we got here!
Old 3rd December 2012, 10:41   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Heres an interesting fact, apparently the exhaust of the vRS is slightly different from the regular tsi too.

In my car, when at low revvs there is slight resonance and a burble from the exhaust. All the while till now I thought it was normal. Met a friend a few days ago and was asking him whether his car his resonance at 1000-1250 odd rpm too, and he said it doesn't and only the vRS has it. Another common friend of ours also has a vRS and this friend has driven both. He said his tsi is completely silent and only the vRS has this burble. So it is likely that Skoda changed the exhaust, though I don't understand why it was not made public.

Anyway I intend on checking this out further. And if its true, well then its a nice surprise.
Intersting! And quite right too. As a regular TSI owner I can tell you that there is no such resonance in my car. The engine is super quiet even when you cane it. I always felt that its too quiet to carry off a vRS badge.
Santoshbhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 13:46   #231
BHPian

Fellow member prithwi-81 is the best judge - he's got both the tsi and the vrs ! - and he says that the vrs is definitely louder than the tsi. He's also ga-ga about the suspension improvements on the vrs , though where he checks that out on his daily drive to Cybercity is anybody's guess
JishD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 15:15   #232
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
Fellow member prithwi-81 is the best judge - he's got both the tsi and the vrs ! - and he says that the vrs is definitely louder than the tsi. He's also ga-ga about the suspension improvements on the vrs , though where he checks that out on his daily drive to Cybercity is anybody's guess
Well in that case, its settle. A nice surprise lol.
Old 3rd December 2012, 16:48   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post
Yup. Having both Cars I can confirm that the VRS is definitely Louder, not by much but definately noticeable inside the cabin. Dont know where the noise comes from but its there indeed.'

Ambiente TSI's done about 36k kms, and still sounds quieter than the VRS.

VRS has 3k on the odo, definitely louder than the regular car at idle and especially at higher revs.

Looking under the car, the exhausts look the same. Could be the down pipe that is different, as the engine bay noise seems to be louder. Either way, I checked with another buddy's VRS and its the same sound level.

@ mr JD. I dont drive the VRS to cybercity.. its my 'weekend' car :-p
prithwi-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 16:57   #234
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm...
I have the regular TSi - first batch and except for first few seconds after start-up, the car is super quiet and I love it that way. I know I will be called a spoil-sport here :-) but I love the fact that I can drive out of the building in the early hours of the morning without bothering anyone and I can come home very late without "announcing" that I have arrived.

Even on the streets, when the TSi overtakes others, it does not look or sound like it is trying. Such a gem of an engine. Beats Honda in their own game!!!

Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 17:09   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Hmmm...
I have the regular TSi - first batch and except for first few seconds after start-up, the car is super quiet and I love it that way. I know I will be called a spoil-sport here :-) but I love the fact that I can drive out of the building in the early hours of the morning without bothering anyone and I can come home very late without "announcing" that I have arrived.

Even on the streets, when the TSi overtakes others, it does not look or sound like it is trying. Such a gem of an engine. Beats Honda in their own game!!!

Cheers!
Unless you hear the Brio at 6k rpm. Puts the VRS to shame.

Am planning a small swap in exhaust. VRS gets the milotek cat back, TSI gets the VRS exhaust. TSI Exhaust goes to dump. Lets see..
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 17:18   #236
Team-BHP Support

Prithvi - Thanks for confirming it. I had thought the same when I got the car, but kept forgetting to bring it up whenever I met anyone with a tsi. Time for you to put up a report on your car. Hope you switched the tyres to 225s?

Anand - I think you are imagining it to be a bit too loud, its not aftermarket sounding at all. Infact even in an M5 you can come home very late and not announce your arrival. Its just a little throatier, or heavier sound as some say.

Anyway, had a little run in with an Octy vRS thats worth mentioning. So I take a right on to Peddar road, and I see this black Octy vRS a few cars in front of me, immaculately maintained. Kept looking at it, and saw the owner take out a cloth to clean something from the inside of the window. That explained the cars great condition. So my line of traffic went ahead and my car was a bit ahead of his, and I think this chap noticed my car too and switched to my lane. Got a bit of an open stretch and gave it the beans, and he was right behind me. Now being a public road I didn't wanna try any stunts, so when there was a car in my lane he got ahead and then I was right behind him. I think my car was a tad bit quicker, but that guy could drive too. Stopped at the signal next to him and he signals to lower the window. His first question was if mine was the 6 speed manual, lol. Told him his car was well maintained and he said it was 6 years old, and that he even had a cover on his passenger seat so it wouldn't get spoilt. Also his car was remapped with a Revo map, and lowered which made him scrape everywhere. Said bye, the signal turned green and that was that.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 3rd December 2012 at 17:23.
Old 3rd December 2012, 17:23   #237
Senior - BHPian

Why dump?
Pass it on to me :-)
I will keep it as a spare. Will not have to go to Skoda at least for any exhaust related issue (of course, hope I don't need to...ever).

May be they should start providing some pre-recorded sound tracks emulating the various sports-car exhaust notes and synch them with the A-pedal. It will keep the enthusiasts engaged without hampering the environment :-).

Hi Akshay, Sorry just saw your post. So good of the M5. Nice!

Yes, even the Octy vRS should have come with 6-speed gearbox. It desrves it.

Last edited by anandpadhye : 3rd December 2012 at 17:27.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2012, 19:20   #238
BHPian

Post re: TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 53k kms up!

Quote:
I love the fact that I can drive out of the building in the early hours of the morning without bothering anyone and I can come home very late without "announcing" that I have arrived.
Oh trust me Anand, it is far from being loud enough to rouse the neighbors, let alone shake them out of their early morning slumber. For a lack of a better word, I'd say the sound is vaguely equivalent to a slight gurgle perhaps - just for a few seconds. Almost like the vRS "gently" announcing that it is happy to be gunned, primed for action

Quote:

Cheers!
Now, that my friend, I shall take you up on. Unequivocally
Old 6th December 2012, 18:58   #239
BHPian

Quote:
Why dump?
Pass it on to me :-)
I will keep it as a spare. Will not have to go to Skoda at least for any exhaust related issue (of course, hope I don't need to...ever).

May be they should start providing some pre-recorded sound tracks emulating the various sports-car exhaust notes and synch them with the A-pedal. It will keep the enthusiasts engaged without hampering the environment :-).

Hi Akshay, Sorry just saw your post. So good of the M5. Nice!

Yes, even the Octy vRS should have come with 6-speed gearbox. It desrves it.
Sure... let me know when you need it.
prithwi-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2012, 19:06   #240
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

They already do that in a few cars, except the exhausts too are pretty loud. And hamper the environment? Really?