Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 10th January 2013, 19:01   #256
Senior - BHPian

Default re: TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 53k kms up!

Akshay,

The warning lamp goes away if you open the bonnet and does not appear again until some minutes/kilometers later (the exact numbers are in the owner manual), even if you don't actually top up.

So you open the bonnet and evidence is lost!!!

Some of the Skoda features are extremely dealer friendly. He he he...
anandpadhye is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 03:10   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I saw the low oil light is on. Drove it for a few mins very slowly and carefully, then decided to stop on the side and call Skoda 24 hour assistance. I dialed the 1800 number and after choosing the options in about 2 minutes I was speaking to the person, who then asked me a couple of questions. Told him the light was yellow, not red and he said its fine to drive till my house, but I will need to get it topped up tomorrow. Also if it turned red, I should stop the car and call them back.
I had a similiar experience of the warning light in yellow. It started glowing when i went hard over a sppedbump. Stopped the car immediately and checked, no signs of leakage, opened the hood and oil level seemed to be in range. Still called up skoda and this was the same response i was given.

But I was en-route Delhi-Chennai and this happened near Gandhinagar. Once i closed the hood and started the light had gone off and i thought it was attributed to the speed bump only. The following day after another 200km the light came on again. Skoda personel insisted on Castrol Magnatec Professional 5W30 but it was not available anywhere on the highway, especially on a sunday. Saw similiar grade of Mobil 1 synthetic and bought 2l. But by this time again the warning went off. Moved further and after 250km, same warning light.

I was confused whether it was actually the oil level being low or a faulty oil pressure sensor. Still topped up some oil and it happely drank 800ml of oil. Even the engine felt smooth afterwards and no worries for the next 1800km towards chennai.

And yes, Delhi-Chennai (via Udaipur-Pune-Hyderabad) was one awesome drive in the vRS. In the span of four months, was there at Yamuna expressway, Ahmedabad-Vadodara NE1, Bombay-Pune expressway and Hyderabad ORR

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
Akshay,

The warning lamp goes away if you open the bonnet and does not appear again until some minutes/kilometers later (the exact numbers are in the owner manual), even if you don't actually top up.

So you open the bonnet and evidence is lost!!!

Some of the Skoda features are extremely dealer friendly. He he he...
If i had known about this, I'd have topped up oil straight away.
avinash_clt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 07:18   #258
BHPian

Quote:

From what I have read around the oil consumption becomes minimal by 10k kms.

The TSI is an oil drinker, but it shouldn't after 10k kms. I guess the service guys made a mistake, don't think these guys would do it purposely. I intend on checking the oil now after every service. No need for escalation or contacts, after all the service manager is the one who attends to me lol.

So I dropped the car off for them to top up the oil. Also asked them to give me another 1l bottle so I can keep in the boot.
Oil consumption drops after 10,000 Km's but does not go to zero. And consumption per kilometre if you use your car in Bombay peak hour traffic is worse than that if you do reasonable speed highway runs. I topped up 3.5 litres in the first 10,000 Km's (till my first service), 2.5 litres in the next 10,000 and a little more than one litre in the 6,000 km after that on my Superb. You would be well advised to keep a can in the boot - topping up on your own is a trivial exercise.

Last edited by Hayek : 11th January 2013 at 07:20.
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 11:06   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am sure they underfill.
Anand you're damn right! As you rightly said the difference between min and max levels is a out a litre as I had once topped up about a litre when the level was at min and after the top up , the level was at max.

Now they have altered their service intervals to include a general check up in between the services. So they can fill oil once again at general check up and milk the customer some more.

I had to top up a litre each at 3,000kms and 8,000 kms. After that the level was fairly constant till first service which was done at 15,000 kms. After first service my car needed just 1/2 litre top up at 22,500 which held on till second service at 30,000 kms. So I believe the oil consumption has settled down to fairly acceptable levels.

But now I've barely done 2,000 kms post 2nd service and I find the oil level to be close to min, the level at which I have initiated a top up on earlier occasions. Not just that, the colour of the oil is darkish. Somehow does not look like 'fresh' oil. I am now really worried whether they changed the oil at all
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 14:35   #260
Team-BHP Support

Just picked the car up, about an hour ago. It was washed well, vacuumed well and kept waiting. One litre of oil was topped up, had asked for another spare bottle but the advisor forgot, and it would take time to get the billing done for that so will pick one up in a day or two.

The mudflaps have been fitted, and I don't really like the look of them (need to get spacers for the wheels no to improve the stance) but they will service their purpose well.

Alignment and balancing was done, so was the suspension retorque. And the rattle or whatever from the drivers seat is finally taken care off. I'm glad about that since it was really bothering me, didn't expect rattles from a Skoda.

Again, the service has impressed me and Autobahn at Sewri seems to be a good workshop. Would recommend it to all Skoda owners in Bombay.

P.s - The total bill was 4.4k odd including the oil top up, alignment balancing, and mudflaps which were 1.5k on their own.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 14:49   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Ana
Now they have altered their service intervals to include a general check up in between the services. So they can fill oil once again at general check up and milk the customer some more.
Hi Santosh,
Yes, at @Rs. 900/L, it's too tempting for them to scavenge some from every car. Sad situation at Skoda...sometimes I feel I should just switch to mineral oil and change it every 6 months. Even if I change every 3 months, it will be cheaper + I will be able to protect my self-respect as the dealer just can't cheat me on oil :-)

I have a feeling that if we switch to mineral and change every 3/6 months, then engine/turbo will sustain...

Quote:
P.s - The total bill was 4.4k odd including the oil top up, alignment balancing, and mudflaps which were 1.5k on their own.
Good to see some sane figures there for a change.

But, rear mud-flaps are fitted complimentary by the Skoda dealers upon delivery (as they don't come with the car). Didn't you get those or yours were damaged and you had to replace?
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 15:24   #262
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Good to see some sane figures there for a change.

But, rear mud-flaps are fitted complimentary by the Skoda dealers upon delivery (as they don't come with the car). Didn't you get those or yours were damaged and you had to replace?
Skoda had some essential accesories in which they gave these mud flaps and floor mats etc. Had specifically asked not for mudflaps etc, since I didn't like the look of them.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 16:01   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Skoda had some essential accesories in which they gave these mud flaps and floor mats etc. Had specifically asked not for mudflaps etc, since I didn't like the look of them.
I hate those mud flaps too. They stick out of the wheel arch (esp the rear ones) and completely ruin the stance of the car. I got them complimentary from the dealer. They looked so awful to my eyes, that I removed them within a week
Santoshbhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 17:26   #264
Senior - BHPian

Yes, they look bad.
But I kept them as I did know any better alternative.

If you have found any, please share the info.
Old 11th January 2013, 17:35   #265
BHPian

Strangely, My heart was happy when I heard Praveen (my Sales Advisor at TAFE) say - "Sir, Keep a can of Oil in the car all the time", as strange as it may seem - There is something very attractive about it, "My car eats oil" bragging rights etc.

My vRS took in 0.5 liters at 2,500 km & 5,000 km. Topped up another 0.5 liters during the free check up at 7,500 km. Now with the car at 10k km mark I need to put in a reminder to check the Oil level tomorrow morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
And yes, Delhi-Chennai (via Udaipur-Pune-Hyderabad) was one awesome drive in the vRS. In the span of four months, was there at Yamuna expressway, Ahmedabad-Vadodara NE1, Bombay-Pune expressway and Hyderabad ORR.
Avinash - You need to update your ownership thread with experience and pics as well. You seemed to have gone underground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Oil consumption drops after 10,000 Km's but does not go to zero. And consumption per kilometre if you use your car in Bombay peak hour traffic is worse than that if you do reasonable speed highway runs. I topped up 3.5 litres in the first 10,000 Km's (till my first service), 2.5 litres in the next 10,000 and a little more than one litre in the 6,000 km after that on my Superb. You would be well advised to keep a can in the boot - topping up on your own is a trivial exercise.
True. I got me a can of Shell Helix 5W40 in the boot all the time. Filling is not only simple, but very gratifying experience for me

Quote:
In my car, I found that the rear mudflaps always come out in the inner position. Although its rarely visible, it seems awfully closer to the wheel and my OCD ensures i clip it back in place very often.
azeemhafiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 19:35   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post
Strangely, My heart was happy when I heard Praveen (my Sales Advisor at TAFE) say - "Sir, Keep a can of Oil in the car all the time", as strange as it may seem - There is something very attractive about it, "My car eats oil" bragging rights etc.

Yes, this is 2013 and we are experiencing time travel - back to engines that need regular oil top up, paani-check, etc. I am sorry to see the pity of the Toyota and Honda owners...boring cars, boring dealers...boring life...
Old 11th January 2013, 19:42   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, this is 2013 and we are experiencing time travel - back to engines that need regular oil top up, paani-check, etc. I am sorry to see the pity of the Toyota and Honda owners...boring cars, boring dealers...boring life...
As my dad used to say - 'it builds character'

My 6 year old swift (vxi) on the other hand is ooh so boring. I don't think i have had to open the bonnet up in Swift (out of necessity not curiosity) over the last 1 lakh+ kms as much i have in the vRS in 10k kms.
azeemhafiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 22:18   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post
In my car, I found that the rear mudflaps always come out in the inner position. Although its rarely visible, it seems awfully closer to the wheel and my OCD ensures i clip it back in place very often.
Same issue here.. its bloody irritating. Need a screw and nut to hold it in place.
prithwi-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 01:33   #269
Team-BHP Support

Had a slightly unnerving incident today. I had gone out with some friends to a place called Karjat, about 90kms away from Mumbai. It has small, rough roads. I had taken the vRS. While driving through those country roads I was really enjoying the drive, and then joined the 4 lane NH4 which went towards the expressway.

A few minutes after I got onto the NH4, the car started pulling left a lot. I knew something was up, and stopped on the side. The front left tyre was fully flat. Asked a passing motorbike where I would find a petrol pump, he said 2kms. I knew 2kms on the rim would mess it up.

This chap stopped to help me. We changed the tyre at 11 in the night in about 30 mins. I gave him some money, since he was such a good guy. Rarely do we see such people, who stop to help.

Now the TPMS didn't come on, and the tyre was fully flat. I wonder how it lost air so suddenly, because from what I could see in the dark there was no big puncture or sidewall tear. Since it was so sudden even TPMS could not figure it out and warn me.

I guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow to find out.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2013, 09:43   #270
BHPian

That is odd. My TPMS turns in at 2psi drop. Get the sensors checked.
prithwi-81 is offline   Reply With Quote