Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 11th May 2013, 19:19   #301
Team-BHP Support

Default re: TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 53k kms up!

And the damn oil light came on again. So put in well over a litre now, its at max level. I'm out of town for a bit, and I intend on taking this up with Skoda once I am back. A top up was required only once before 10k kms was done, and now since the first service at 13k kms, this is the third time the light has come on. This is just not on. Either the oil is the wrong grade not suited to the temperature, or frankly I don't know what it could be. But this is just not on. And its not like the car has been driven hard either, I've not been driving it that much. If with my chauffeur it manages to eat up this much oil I wonder what would happen if I drove it all the time.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 19:25   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
And the damn oil light came on again. So put in well over a litre now, its at max level. I'm out of town for a bit, and I intend on taking this up with Skoda once I am back...And its not like the car has been driven hard either, I've not been driving it that much. If with my chauffeur it manages to eat up this much oil I wonder what would happen if I drove it all the time.
Akshay, in what conditions has the car been driven? In my experience, oil consumption is much higher when you drive in stop and go peak hour traffic than when it is driven hard. Seems to be linked to number of hours of running rather than kms covered.
Hayek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 19:30   #303
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Akshay, in what conditions has the car been driven? In my experience, oil consumption is much higher when you drive in stop and go peak hour traffic than when it is driven hard. Seems to be linked to number of hours of running rather than kms covered.
That's what I thought too, but thats not an excuse for eating up almost a litre every 2.5k kms literally. It is driven quite a lot in stop and go, especially in the last couple of months considering there is a lot of construction work going on, on the cars daily route. I'm going to monitor it for the next 2 months and see how fast the level is falling. Actually I'll take it up with Skoda after monitoring, don't want to leave it at the service centre so that the grease monkeys can try experiments and dirty and car.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 20:47   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
That's what I thought too, but thats not an excuse for eating up almost a litre every 2.5k kms literally. It is driven quite a lot in stop and go, especially in the last couple of months considering there is a lot of construction work going on, on the cars daily route. I'm going to monitor it for the next 2 months and see how fast the level is falling. Actually I'll take it up with Skoda after monitoring, don't want to leave it at the service centre so that the grease monkeys can try experiments and dirty and car.
Till the first 27K kms I had to top up twice apart from the regular service change. After then I moved to OWS turbo racing oil (after the mods) and I have never topped up in between. Having said that I usually service at around 12K Km max. I drive the car really hard but not much in stop go traffic though.
I think 15K kms is way too long in Indian condition. I check my air filter every 5/7k Kms and its usually clogged with dirt.
robimahanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 11:57   #305
BHPian

The skoda Laura is a wonderful car. It's beautiful to look at. Wonderful to drive. What's bad is that at a price of 16-17 lacs for a base diesel variant and going upward to 18-20 lacs for higher variants, it's missing a few things.
Look at the cruze. It's serious value for money. Steering mount controls. Automatic transmission. Sunroof. 6 cd changer and so much that also cheaper than the skoda Laura. It's got more power in its engine. When we were buying our Skoda Laura I was completely sold for the Chevrolet counter part. So much that I even told the sales person that I'd book it within a day or two. My dad came into the picture. Without even looking at the car ruled it out. I was amused. He said no Chevrolet son. It's going to rattle and make you make excessive number of trips to the workshop. Resale value is worse than your ford Figo so don't make that mistake. I tried hard to convince him but he was sold for the Laura. Eventually booked it. Rosso brunello colour. Ambiente variant. I'm very happy with the car. Although we regret not getting the automatic variant. We are trying to sell it and go for an automatic.
We're scared about skoda's automatic transmission. Is that legit? I've heard some not so nice stuff about it.
Chirag911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 23:21   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chirag911 View Post
We're scared about skoda's automatic transmission. Is that legit? I've heard some not so nice stuff about it.
No problem with the diesel AT which uses 6 speed wet clutch. It's the 7 speed dry clutch on the tsi which is rather dodgy .
JishD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 00:49   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post

No problem with the diesel AT which uses 6 speed wet clutch. It's the 7 speed dry clutch on the tsi which is rather dodgy .
I've heard stuff like "every skoda owner has to beat his head against the wall once in his car life "
^ only for automatic transmission buyers.

I bought the car for 16 lacs (6 months). Can I sell for around 15.5 considering that company rates have gone up? I know that the car attracts a depreciation of 20% the moment you take it out of the showroom. Thanks.
Old 18th May 2013, 11:02   #308
BHPian

6 sessions at BIC, plus the usual spirited drives.. no oil loss till date. Car just clocked 7k.
Stop and go traffic is the culprit for you..
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 18:08   #309
BHPian

Quote:

I bought the car for 16 lacs (6 months). Can I sell for around 15.5 considering that company rates have gone up? I know that the car attracts a depreciation of 20% the moment you take it out of the showroom. Thanks.
Today's paper has a Laura ad for 12.99. So in all probability, you would get at least 1-2 lakhs less. Better keep the car instead, else you're looking at a depreciation hit of 4-5 in 6 months which is bordering on insane.
JishD is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 21:09   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JishD View Post

Today's paper has a Laura ad for 12.99. So in all probability, you would get at least 1-2 lakhs less. Better keep the car instead, else you're looking at a depreciation hit of 4-5 in 6 months which is bordering on insane.
Isn't 12.99 for a base variant of petrol? If its diesel its quite bad I reckon. Please tell me about this? This doesn't sound so good.
Old 18th May 2013, 23:07   #311
BHPian

Quote:

Isn't 12.99 for a base variant of petrol? If its diesel its quite bad I reckon. Please tell me about this? This doesn't sound so good.

Name:  image1840674388.jpg
Views: 1796
Size:  498.3 KB

It's the diesel... Attached a pic. So suggest you enjoy your current car
JishD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2013, 21:34   #312
Team-BHP Support

So the car is now at 24xxx kms. It has again been doing a lot of running in traffic, which has made sure the mileage has been around the 6.5kmpl mark. Faced another low oil lamp about 2 weeks ago, sent a mail to Skoda and they replied asking me to send the car to the service station.

After speaking to a few TSI owners, this seems to be normal. But either way, not wanting to waste a day, told them they can check it when the car goes for a service. I don't intend on waiting till 30k for a service, will send it in 2k kms max.

Other than that no issues whatsoever. The car is definitely solidly built, even with the stiff suspension, no more noises from any part of the car than there were on the delivery day.

The PS3s have transformed the car, the braking feels so much better now. That was one thing which was lacking, but it seems the tires were at fault. Also the PS3s seem to be pretty strong. The car went into a HUGE pothole which couldn't be seen at all at about 40kmph. Stopped to check expecting a bubble in some tyre. That was last week, don't seem to be any bubbles yet. That is a huge relief.

Well besides that whenever I do take out the car, I have a blast. The slick manual and the torquey smooth tsi motor make sure of that. Though now I really feel a remap is in order, but can't justify it considering my limited usage of the car.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2013, 19:42   #313
Team-BHP Support

2nd Service Update -

So the car is now about 50kms short of 26,000. I don't like waiting till 15,000kms for each service, since I'm sure the Bombay conditions are far too harsh for that. Got it serviced a bit earlier.

Dropped the car off this morning by 1130 to my regular service advisor. Asked for the second service to be done, and also asked if there was any part to be changed in the AC system the same way some others cars have got some valve replacement.

He also wanted to do EGR cleaning, so I let him ago ahead. Doubt it was needed though. Also asked for the wiper blades to be changed, and said all filters should be replaced as per the guidelines and not to be cleaned and put back even if they looked good enough.

These guys also did AC condensor cleaning since I said on some hot days the cooling is not upto the mark. The bill came to Rs.13,124 which I guess is about fine.

The service advisor came to my house (which is 2 mins away) and dropped off the car by 7. It was cleaned well, with all the tar marks, etc removed from the running boards. Another happy experience with Skoda service.

Also worth noting is that Autobahn Sewri is shutting their present workshop and moving to a much larger one, about 5 mins away on the BPT road. I was told it should happen by this month end, and a major plus point of that is that all cars will be parked in doors. Its a great thing since this workshop is over crowded.

EDIT - Forgot to mention that some front linkage axle boot (the rubber thingy I think) was a bit torn or something, but the advisor seemed sure it didn't need to be replaced. Have told him we will get it done when the car goes for a brake pad change in 5k kms. Other than that a detailing session scheduled for next weekend, after which I will put up some newer pics of the car.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 7th September 2013 at 19:45.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2013, 18:46   #314
Team-BHP Support

The car was just detailed. Its looking great. Here are 3 pics, notice the fatter PS3s in the 2nd and 3rd pics, and also the stance of the car which is improved. Need to get off those ugly mudflaps which haven't helped one bit in reducing grime on the running boards. All they've done is make the car look bad.
Attached Thumbnails
TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-img_0286.jpg  

TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-img_0287.jpg  

TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-img_0288.jpg  

Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2013, 21:48   #315
BHPian

The car looks niccee!! If you intend on keeping the stock rims for a while longer it helps to get 10mm spacers for the rear wheel.. Although 10mm seems low the improvement in stance is tremendous.
azeemhafiz is offline   Reply With Quote