Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 16th September 2013, 09:51   #316
Team-BHP Support

Default re: TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 53k kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post
The car looks niccee!! If you intend on keeping the stock rims for a while longer it helps to get 10mm spacers for the rear wheel.. Although 10mm seems low the improvement in stance is tremendous.
Have actually been thinking of that. 15mm will probably give a great stance, but may cause vibrations at speed, etc. 10mm should be good. How much did your set of spacers cost you?
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 15:32   #317
BHPian

Forget spacers, get a set of 17inchers with 225 rubber. You wont look back.
prithwi-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 16:11   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Have actually been thinking of that. 15mm will probably give a great stance, but may cause vibrations at speed, etc. 10mm should be good. How much did your set of spacers cost you?
Its about 14k for H&R Spacers and Screws. At max speed the stock Goodyears are rated to handle, no vibrations at all - Got there plenty of times.

You may need spacers even if you look at upsizing the alloys, I know Robimahanta is running spacers on his rear - along with Borbet 17" FS5 Alloys . Transforms the look more than one can justify on paper.

More than Alloys, get yourself Miltek exhaust with SS downpipe and Stage 2 map - You will not regret one bit. The sound of the car is more 'supercar'ish - Classy, subtle and deep grunt but a definitive sleeper

Last edited by azeemhafiz : 16th September 2013 at 16:14.
azeemhafiz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 16:27   #319
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Forget spacers, get a set of 17inchers with 225 rubber. You wont look back.
Quote:
Its about 14k for H&R Spacers and Screws. At max speed the stock Goodyears are rated to handle, no vibrations at all - Got there plenty of times.

You may need spacers even if you look at upsizing the alloys, I know Robimahanta is running spacers on his rear - along with Borbet 17" FS5 Alloys . Transforms the look more than one can justify on paper.

More than Alloys, get yourself Miltek exhaust with SS downpipe and Stage 2 map - You will not regret one bit. The sound of the car is more 'supercar'ish - Classy, subtle and deep grunt but a definitive sleeper
That's great. Will certainly consider them in the near future in that case.

Guys I don't see an alloy upgrade happening to this car. Already running 2 cars on 17s, and in Bombay its just not practical. I would rather spend that money on getting a remap first, and a Miltek. Though if this car becomes my primary car who is to say what can happen. But that will only be if we get a diesel sedan to replace my Accord which is running perfectly ATM.
Old 18th September 2013, 00:55   #320
Team-BHP Support

An odd thing happened today. As soon as the ignition was switched on the headlights would come on. The headlight switch was on off, and didn't seem to be working. I used VCDS and scanned, and an error code came up which said light switch not responding, and something about terminal 50. Quite weird, seems like the light switch suddenly decided to go crazy.
Old 18th September 2013, 01:18   #321
BHPian

Quote:
An odd thing happened today. As soon as the ignition was switched on the headlights would come on. The headlight switch was on off, and didn't seem to be working. I used VCDS and scanned, and an error code came up which said light switch not responding, and something about terminal 50. Quite weird, seems like the light switch suddenly decided to go crazy.
Its a sign old friend, a sign where the car is asking you to get the Auto Lights. Its a simple swap job and does not take more than 5 minutes to complete.

Call Sugesh from VAGTune and he can hook you up. The sensor and everything else is there, you just need the switch.

I just love the way it comes on, goes off, comes on when you maintain 140 kmph+ for a few seconds, when it rains heavily.. Its probably one of the best 5k you can spend on the car. Get it, please!
azeemhafiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2013, 18:53   #322
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Its a sign old friend, a sign where the car is asking you to get the Auto Lights. Its a simple swap job and does not take more than 5 minutes to complete.

Call Sugesh from VAGTune and he can hook you up. The sensor and everything else is there, you just need the switch.

I just love the way it comes on, goes off, comes on when you maintain 140 kmph+ for a few seconds, when it rains heavily.. Its probably one of the best 5k you can spend on the car. Get it, please!
You are talking about motorway mode, where above 90 miles an hour for 40 seconds makes your lights come on.

Man to be honest, its not something I'd spend on. I find the feature useless and wouldn't want it switching on my lights every time I enter my parking lot.

I have it on the other car, and almost never leave it on auto mode besides on the expressway.

But I'm sending the car to the dealership, lets see if they will swap it for an L&K light switch under warranty
Old 20th September 2013, 21:46   #323
Team-BHP Support

So the switch was switched under warranty today. Everything back to normal. Apparently some ECU software update was done too. I wasn't present at the workshop so couldn't find out more about this update.
Old 30th September 2013, 14:07   #324
BHPian

Great thread as always Akshay, Wishing you many more safe miles ahead. I'v been a fan of the VRS ever since it launched, recently driven a friends car and have been smitten by it ever since. So does anyone here know if there is a pre-owned Laura VRS out in the market right now, I am on a look out for one but couldn't find any yet.

Last edited by ShortShifter : 30th September 2013 at 14:10.
ShortShifter is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2013, 21:05   #325
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortShifter View Post
Great thread as always Akshay, Wishing you many more safe miles ahead. I'v been a fan of the VRS ever since it launched, recently driven a friends car and have been smitten by it ever since. So does anyone here know if there is a pre-owned Laura VRS out in the market right now, I am on a look out for one but couldn't find any yet.
Sorry for replying so late - It will be extremely difficult to find a Laura vRS in the used market, I think they sold even less than the Octy vRS. But keep an eye out you may just find one.

Update -
So there is a 50/50 chance my car may be remapped next week. I was feeling left out with everyone else going for a stage one 1. If I go ahead it will be with Tune O Tronics, for 2 reasons. I would have blindly gone with Petes and trust them completely, but sending the ECU to Cochin would mean a down time of 3 days, which would be unacceptable. Also with Tune O Tronics I can get the map customized and changed a bit as and when I please. I don't intend on going for a very aggressive map, but the car should be noticeably faster than a stock TSI.

Hopefully it will all work out and then I can too join the gang of remapped TSIs. Planning on keeping it like stock for the first 30% of the throttle so that my chauffeur doesn't enjoy too much power when he is driving.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 21:15   #326
BHPian

I knew this day would come . Yes sending hardware over and waiting for it to come back is certainly a pain. I have also read good reviews on ToT. Now I await news on your upgrade and then the results.
samyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2013, 01:24   #327
Senior - BHPian

Have you sampled any rides with Tune O Tronics on the TSI. Suggest you compare driving the Petes and Tune O Tronics before deciding. And 3 days downtime may be worth if the Petes stuff is found to be better. Could do it during a vacation gateway with the 3er.
dipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 19:07   #328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyboy View Post
I knew this day would come . Yes sending hardware over and waiting for it to come back is certainly a pain. I have also read good reviews on ToT. Now I await news on your upgrade and then the results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Have you sampled any rides with Tune O Tronics on the TSI. Suggest you compare driving the Petes and Tune O Tronics before deciding. And 3 days downtime may be worth if the Petes stuff is found to be better. Could do it during a vacation gateway with the 3er.
Well I think I'll give TOT a shot. Like I said I have full faith in Petes, but no harm in trying new things. Also their reviews have been pretty positive, and they seem confident enough. Pete's may be better, but I honestly can't have the 3 days down time right now. The other advantage is I can do some real time testing with these guys and get it altered to my convenience.

Of course if my car even goes stage 2 or 3 it will be Petes without a doubt.
Old 11th November 2013, 21:54   #329
BHPian

Quote:
Well I think I'll give TOT a shot. Like I said I have full faith in Petes, but no harm in trying new things. Also their reviews have been pretty positive, and they seem confident enough. Pete's may be better, but I honestly can't have the 3 days down time right now. The other advantage is I can do some real time testing with these guys and get it altered to my convenience.

Of course if my car even goes stage 2 or 3 it will be Petes without a doubt.
You may want to seriously consider Miltek exhaust with SS downpipe (Decated) along with a stage 2 map. The difference is purely phenomenal and it makes sense to skip the 'only map' state of tune.

Unfortunately, I don't have any plans (yet) to drive down to Mumbai, else I would have let you drive my car to get a proper sense of sound, feel and difference.
azeemhafiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2013, 21:03   #330
Team-BHP Support

So I bit the bullet, and I've joined the clan. Got the car remapped today by Tune O Tronics, unfortunately I've only driven about 8 kms which was the distance home. I was told that it would take about 30 kms to fully come into effect.

Initial impressions are that the car seems much more responsive, it has instant power, almost like a large NA engine. And when the turbo kicks in it gets wild. There is significant torque steer in 2nd gear too with my foot down. That is with my 225 tyres.

It seems to rev faster, and the top end which was a bit slow earlier is now far better. 0-100 timings will certainly be better, I expect it to be well below the 8 second mark.

The map is tuned for 91 octane fuel, though if I use 97 I should see an improvement.

Overall a good experience, everything was done smoothly. Member lamborghini got his Laura L&K remapped too, and another member mango_pal got his Polo TSI remapped.

Expect more words after I drive it around a bit more.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 15th November 2013 at 21:11.
Akshay1234 is offline   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote