Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 15th November 2013, 23:04   #331
BHPian

Default re: TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 53k kms up!

Brillant. I know about the torque steer, thats why i had CustomCode build me a custom map which tapers the boost in 1st, 2nd with a little less taper.. 3rd is full boost!
Clean launches everytime :-)

Note from Moderator: Link to your Video containing Drag Racing on public roads deleted. Team-BHP maintains a strong stand against street racing and any other form of dangerous driving. Posts that don't abide by this view will not be entertained on the forum. Thanks

Last edited by .anshuman : 16th November 2013 at 11:42. Reason: See note in post. Thanks
prithwi-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 08:04   #332
BHPian

Wonderful news Akshay. Take her to Mumbai-Pune expressway and let her fly the way she is suppose to be. All the best!

Last edited by .anshuman : 16th November 2013 at 11:43. Reason: Removing part of quoted post which involves dangerous driving on public roads. Thanks
samyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 10:05   #333
Senior - BHPian

Nice! Was long overdue I suppose.

I'd been running my car on regular 91 octane all along. Tried 97 a couple of times for some highway runs and could not discern much difference. But this time decided to give it an extended run on 97 (about 3 tank fills) . 97 makes quite a difference I must say. The car feels a lot more smoother, with instant power delivery and the engine note also feels sportier. Lesson learnt : The ECU take some time to adapt to the higher octane fuel. Even within city, the engine is happier and big throttle inputs are much more gratifying. Downside is the price and availability. Speed 97 costs Rs. 103/litre here . FE seems to be marginally better. I am desperately scanning the FE, hoping to see a significant increase, so that I can justify filling up 97. Can't go back to 91 after all the fun with 97 now .

Last week read a report which the said that the oil minister wanted the finance ministry to cut duty on branded fuels. Hope it materialises.

http://businesstoday.intoday.in/stor.../1/200348.html
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2013, 10:14   #334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
The ECU take some time to adapt to the higher octane fuel. Even within city, the engine is happier and big throttle inputs are much more gratifying. Downside is the price and availability. Speed 97 costs Rs. 103/litre here . FE seems to be marginally better. I am desperately scanning the FE, hoping to see a significant increase, so that I can justify filling up 97. Can't go back to 91 after all the fun with 97 now
I can totally relate with the problem, after getting used to 97, and going back to 91/93 is not an option - you feel that you have all of sudden lost all power and throttle response, don't try to justify the incremental cost. The math does not add up, I gave up. I have switched to 97 octane and am happy about the choice.
Motoringlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2013, 00:00   #335
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Brillant. I know about the torque steer, thats why i had CustomCode build me a custom map which tapers the boost in 1st, 2nd with a little less taper.. 3rd is full boost!
Clean launches everytime :-)
Didn't think you could taper boost gear wise with just a remap. Thought a standalone is needed for that. Torque steer isn't that bad, just that I haven't felt it since I changed to 225s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyboy View Post
Wonderful news Akshay. Take her to Mumbai-Pune expressway and let her fly the way she is suppose to be. All the best!
Hopefully I will be able to soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Nice! Was long overdue I suppose.

I'd been running my car on regular 91 octane all along. Tried 97 a couple of times for some highway runs and could not discern much difference. But this time decided to give it an extended run on 97 (about 3 tank fills) . 97 makes quite a difference I must say. The car feels a lot more smoother, with instant power delivery and the engine note also feels sportier. Lesson learnt : The ECU take some time to adapt to the higher octane fuel. Even within city, the engine is happier and big throttle inputs are much more gratifying. Downside is the price and availability. Speed 97 costs Rs. 103/litre here . FE seems to be marginally better. I am desperately scanning the FE, hoping to see a significant increase, so that I can justify filling up 97. Can't go back to 91 after all the fun with 97 now .

Last week read a report which the said that the oil minister wanted the finance ministry to cut duty on branded fuels. Hope it materialises.

http://businesstoday.intoday.in/stor.../1/200348.html
Yes long overdue. When it was stock I too noticed the car getting smoother on 97, but hardly any performance gains. Lets see with the map what happens. 97 is not possible all the time since the running on this car is a lot.

Have driven the car a bit more, and it feels a bit like a diesel now, the way it pulls cleanly from lower gears. Also the surge is much more prominent than stock. Reminds me a bit of the Octavia vRS. Getting up to high speeds is very easy. Overall seems like a brilliant choice till now. Will write a full review once I drive it a few 100kms.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2013, 08:50   #336
BHPian

Electronic bov, electronic boost controller, very much doable.
Old 19th November 2013, 19:30   #337
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Electronic bov, electronic boost controller, very much doable.
Do you have either installed? Or does the tsi already have it.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 19th November 2013 at 19:31.
Old 19th November 2013, 22:25   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

Do you have either installed? Or does the tsi already have it.
All modern turbo cars from vag come with these.
Old 5th December 2013, 18:47   #339
Team-BHP Support

The vRS has developed a few small niggles, which were kind of expected so its not bothering me much. I think warranty should take care of all of them.

1) Right side xenon goes off and switches right back on. (happens randomly, sometimes with more frequency). Need to see what the error is on VCDS.

2) Left side power mirror motor makes noise and doesn't move smoothly.

3) Mirror adjustment switch seems to have got sticky, in the sense it doesn't return back to centre.

4) The horn button seems to have worn out. Sometimes the horn doesn't sound and you have to press it harder, or press from a different location.

All small things, but are these common with anyone?
Old 5th December 2013, 19:13   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The vRS has developed a few small niggles,
Point 2 and 3 can be sorted out by a burst of WD40 spray. Point 4 can be done by opening up the steering and cleaning the horn contacts by any trained electrician preferably a non-Skoda one. I have done that with my Esteem and Hyundai a few years back. Point 1 seems like weakening of the HID (which carry a 2 Skoda warranty). Can get it checked up and replaced, if under warranty, at the ASC.

Last edited by dkaile : 5th December 2013 at 19:15.
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 19:22   #341
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Point 2 and 3 can be sorted out by a burst of WD40 spray. Point 4 can be done by opening up the steering and cleaning the horn contacts by any trained electrician preferably a non-Skoda one. I have done that with my Esteem and Hyundai a few years back. Point 1 seems like weakening of the HID (which carry a 2 Skoda warranty). Can get it checked up and replaced, if under warranty, at the ASC.
Both parts will have to be opened up for WD40 to be sprayed. Though I think at least for point 2 it is unlikely WD40 will help.

I would rather that a Non Skoda person does not fiddle with the steering, especially considering there is an airbag present. While it was easy on our older cars, I would prefer to go to Skoda for this.

This is far too soon for an HID bulb to become weak. Considering they are supposed to last far longer than halogen bulbs, I am under the assumption that it is some electrical or ballast fault.

Oh and the car is also going for a brake pad change this coming week. The SA had recommended they be changed in 5k kms when I had sent it for a service.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 5th December 2013 at 19:27.
Old 5th December 2013, 19:45   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would rather that a Non Skoda person does not fiddle with the steering,
Well I have a good off-market electrician who is well versed with airbag fitted steerings here in Meerut, hence the suggestion. Don't know what the situation is at your end. If you trust your dealership, you can get it done there also. But they tend to replace parts when a simple servicing can sort out the issue. Same with your mirror adjustment switch which just needs a little lubrication and servicing.

HID's are electrical parts and can fail at anytime even before their scheduled normal life is completed.
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 20:23   #343
Senior - BHPian

I know this may be a dumb question but is a remap or tuning box completely safe? Wont the Skoda A.S.S be able to find the changes done during the VAS scan? How about the wear and tear, heating and life? Wont they be affected?

Pete's is apparently offering around 30% discount on remaps during this month.
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2013, 20:47   #344
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Well I have a good off-market electrician who is well versed with airbag fitted steerings here in Meerut, hence the suggestion. Don't know what the situation is at your end. If you trust your dealership, you can get it done there also. But they tend to replace parts when a simple servicing can sort out the issue. Same with your mirror adjustment switch which just needs a little lubrication and servicing.

HID's are electrical parts and can fail at anytime even before their scheduled normal life is completed.
Aah in that case makes sense. But in my case I'm reasonably happy with the dealership, and its literally 5 mins from my house. Also most of this could possibly be replaced under warranty, but who the heck knows. In any case I need to change the brake pads, so will get these issues checked too and then see what is to be done.

Yes true about electrical parts. Will update after the workshop visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
I know this may be a dumb question but is a remap or tuning box completely safe? Wont the Skoda A.S.S be able to find the changes done during the VAS scan? How about the wear and tear, heating and life? Wont they be affected?

Pete's is apparently offering around 30% discount on remaps during this month.
With their normal scan they won't figure out anything. I don't think they will really look into the ECU mapping unless some big warranty replacement is needed engine wise. Wear and tear on things like clutch, and tyres will certainly be more. But due to the car running more efficiently as long as its not abusedI don't think it should have a noticeable effect on the heating and life.

Wish I had known about this from Petes, may have taken it, but then again I'm totally happy with what I have now.
Old 6th December 2013, 00:59   #345
Team-BHP Support

Plugged in VCDS and found a few faults -

The lamp flickering was possible due to some faults in the central electrics which said open circuit or something for right foglamp and high beam lamp. May need to see the grounding for those, and just get the wires checked.

It gave me an error in the driver door, saying mirror switch signal intermittent. Was surprised even this was detecting something off with the mirror switch lol.

Have cleared the DTCs for now, will check if they reappear after a few days.