Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 1st April 2014, 15:48   #361
Team-BHP Support

Default re: TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 53k kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Are the discs being changed or is it just the brake pads? Isn't 30 K a bit early for discs to be changed, especially in a manual? Views would be appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Whoops, that was a typo. I meant the pads.
Interestingly, the SA at JMD has recommended swapping to new brake pads & discs for our 33,000 run 2011 Laura DSG 2.0 after 4,000 kms.
He said swapping only the pads wiill cause shuddering of the brakes and Skoda recommends swapping the entire kit, than just the pads.
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2014, 15:58   #362
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Interestingly, the SA at JMD has recommended swapping to new brake pads & discs for our 33,000 run 2011 Laura DSG 2.0 after 4,000 kms.
He said swapping only the pads wiill cause shuddering of the brakes and Skoda recommends swapping the entire kit, than just the pads.
Nothing of that sort is needed. Ask him to show you the recommendation in writing. I continued using the old discs, which must have been skimmed. And the braking has continued to be perfect even under hard braking from high speeds.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2014, 16:12   #363
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nothing of that sort is needed. Ask him to show you the recommendation in writing. I continued using the old discs, which must have been skimmed. And the braking has continued to be perfect even under hard braking from high speeds.
Yes, that is standard practice indeed. One the initial bed in period is complete, I do not see why there should be any shuddering. But I'm just keeping an eye out in order to keep my warranty intact.
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2014, 16:14   #364
BHPian

Its generally advisable to swap discs out after 2 sets of pad changes. Resurfacing discs does only hlaf the job if you drive the car hard. If u drive it normally, then there will be no issues.
prithwi-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 18:48   #365
Team-BHP Support

An interesting update. My issue was escalated to Skoda India today because I was tired of waiting for an update from them. Within 2 hours I got a call from the area manager saying my issue was being handled and the parts would reach today itself from another dealership. I asked him if it was coming from another dealership why did they have to wait till Skoda opened after the FY end? He said he has spoken to people to try and change that. Lets see.

Paid a visit to the workshop and the cars front had already been opened up. I have been promised to get it back on Thursday at the latest. Well its been a long time, but at least it shows Skoda is trying to make amends even if its in small steps.

On a separate note, I noticed something I hadn't noticed till this day. The rear bumper of the vRS is slightly different shaped at the bottom compared to the normal Lauras. It is slightly wider at the bottom half. Where in the normal Lauras the bumper kind of curves in and then back out, in the vRS its straight down. Will add a picture to show you what I mean -

Heres the normal Laura -

And here's the vRS, notice the difference -
TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-dsc_1599.jpg
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 20:26   #366
BHPian

Yup. Vrs rear end is different, although I like the regular end better.
Old 11th May 2014, 21:08   #367
Team-BHP Support

Haven't updated this thread since I got the car back. The bumper, etc was fixed properly and given back to me 3 days after it was escalated. The paint match is pretty good but someone with a keen eye can make out a slight difference. This doesn't bother me since I believe white is a very difficult colour to match since it yellows over time.

The total bill was around 60k, about 48k for the damage repairs and about 12k for the suspension bush kit and some bracket.

Needless to say the car is back to almost perfect condition, and feels just as new. The tyres have done about 15k kms and are starting to show a bit of wear. I have no clue what I'm going to get after these since PS3s are not available anymore.

I said almost perfect earlier, and this is the issue. Very rarely, in 3rd and 4th gear between 2.5-3.5k rpm if a lot of throttle is given then there is some knocking while the boost is building up. This is rare, but it happens only in the gears mentioned at the RPM mentioned sometimes. Any idea what could be possible causes? Fuel is filled from the same place, and it runs just fine otherwise on that fuel.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 03:06   #368
BHPian

Quote:
I said almost perfect earlier, and this is the issue. Very rarely, in 3rd and 4th gear between 2.5-3.5k rpm if a lot of throttle is given then there is some knocking while the boost is building up. This is rare, but it happens only in the gears mentioned at the RPM mentioned sometimes. Any idea what could be possible causes? Fuel is filled from the same place, and it runs just fine otherwise on that fuel.
It seems to be a common issue. I have seen and noticed that on most of the 1.8s (ranging from stock to 300BHP stage 2+ monster), it almost sounds like valve shuddering than knock. But it is extremely hard to replicate and seems to happen rarely and difficult to get it back on.

Nothing to worry me thinks.

P.S - I have noticed this happening when I drive the car after it being idle for a few days on the second or third spirited run attempt.

Best,

Azeem
azeemhafiz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 07:10   #369
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Happens in my TSI as well. There's a slight jerky acceleration from 3k rpm to 4rpm esp when I floor the throttle a bit. And yes 3rd and 4th gears only. In my case I experienced it immediately after the remap. No such issues in stock. It was quite pronounced initially and I even reported it during service, which was due just after the remap. The service centre guys said the spark plugs were dirty and could be causing it and replaced them. It got much better after that. Also I feel it has something to do with fuel quality. I had an extended run on speed 97 for a couple of months and it went away. Am back to 91 now and do experience it every now and then. Sometimes its there other times its not. One thing's for sure, in the stock car it did not happen even once.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 12th May 2014 at 07:11.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 11:29   #370
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeemhafiz View Post
It seems to be a common issue. I have seen and noticed that on most of the 1.8s (ranging from stock to 300BHP stage 2+ monster), it almost sounds like valve shuddering than knock. But it is extremely hard to replicate and seems to happen rarely and difficult to get it back on.

Nothing to worry me thinks.

P.S - I have noticed this happening when I drive the car after it being idle for a few days on the second or third spirited run attempt.
Yes it does seem to happen when the car has not been pushed in a while. Well good to know I'm not the only one who has it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Happens in my TSI as well. There's a slight jerky acceleration from 3k rpm to 4rpm esp when I floor the throttle a bit. And yes 3rd and 4th gears only. In my case I experienced it immediately after the remap. No such issues in stock. It was quite pronounced initially and I even reported it during service, which was due just after the remap. The service centre guys said the spark plugs were dirty and could be causing it and replaced them. It got much better after that. Also I feel it has something to do with fuel quality. I had an extended run on speed 97 for a couple of months and it went away. Am back to 91 now and do experience it every now and then. Sometimes its there other times its not. One thing's for sure, in the stock car it did not happen even once.
I was thinking of changing the spark plugs too. About 4k kms till the next service, I'll get these things done. Yes I am sure it would go away on 97 octane but I can't fill that in all the time. And yes this is after the remap only.
Old 12th May 2014, 21:17   #371
BHPian

Have this issue with my car as well.. will log it n see whts the issue. Maybe 1 step colder plugs mite help.
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 22:00   #372
BHPian

According to my Internal Combustion Engine textbook the phenomena of Knocking at high rpms is a characteristic of spark ignition engines. This phenomena becomes all the more pronounced after turbo-charging a SI engine. As it increases the pressure of the charge,chances of fuel reaching its auto-ignition temperature increases thereby increasing chances of Knocking. One of the preventive measures is using a fuel of high octane no. or decreasing the compression ratio.

Although when asked at a seminar organised by ARAI folks about 97 octane, the guys told us that the 97 octane sold to us is not 97 octane but some where close to 94 according to test conducted by them.

Last edited by dean5545 : 12th May 2014 at 22:02.
dean5545 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 22:21   #373
BHPian

This happens on low rpms. Sounds like the engine is struggling to build boost, and finally gets to target boost.
Old 15th May 2014, 20:14   #374
Team-BHP Support

Ah well, speak of the devil and he doth appear.

Updated this thread after a while, and another issue today. I get a call from my driver saying the temp gauge went into red, and a red light came on so he had stopped by the side of the road. The coolant was normal.

Got a flat bed sent there, to take the car to the workshop. Called the workshop manager and asked him to take a look at it. He called back later saying the scan showed no errors, but the cooling fans were off and they would have to look at the full wiring.

Since it was late I asked my driver to come home and park it for the night (my house is 5 mins away) and take it back in the morning.

Lets see what it is this time. Whatever issues I have had have been handled well by Skoda, but I find this ridiculous considering the car was there only 2 weeks ago. Nevertheless crap can happen, I'm waiting for the diagnosis.
Old 15th May 2014, 22:15   #375
BHPian

What Re-map are you on? And what fuel are you running? Sounds like your thermostat failed for a bit.

Last edited by ampere : 15th December 2016 at 22:47. Reason: Fixed SMS language; Please avoid