Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 5th September 2015, 12:53   #391
BHPian

Default Re: TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 53k kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Whats weird is that, after letting the car sit idle for an hour it would start just fine. That is after cooling down a bit...
Does the engine keep cranking without firing up or is there no ignition at all?
And I'm assuming this happens only when the car has been running at operating temperatures and then turned off?

Faced a similar problem with my old Getz CRDi. I hope to God it's not what I think it is!
97_Octane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2015, 13:21   #392
BHPian

Quote:
Not so great news guys. Looks like buying a Skoda which sells even less than the rest does have its downsides.

The car developed an issue 3 weeks ago. After driving the car for a while, the car was stopped for about 15 mins. After that when my driver tried to start the car, it just wouldn't start. And then it started once, but died as soon as he tried to accelerate even a little bit.

Sent it to the service centre, where they tried to replicate it and they returned the car saying all was well.

I thought it was a one off. But no, happened twice to my driver in the next week.

Whats weird is that, after letting the car sit idle for an hour it would start just fine. That is after cooling down a bit.

That's not very great news Akshay.
I guess you will have to be bit aggressive and pushy with the dealer, they don't seem to take things on priority till you make it visible to their management.
But If you think it's beyond dealership then time to wake up guys at Skoda.

I was in similar situation with my VRS, twice in last 2 years.

First time car got stalled but came back on its own within 10 mins and dealership check revealed nothing wrong.
2nd time it was completely down, but luckily it was dead battery.

So I understand your situation. Those Skoda horror stories come to your mind immediately :-(
vishaltanksale is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2015, 15:22   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not so great news guys. Looks like buying a Skoda which sells even less than the rest does have its downsides.

The car developed an issue 3 weeks ago. After driving the car for a while, the car was stopped for about 15 mins. After that when my driver tried to start the car, it just wouldn't start. And then it started once, but died as soon as he tried to accelerate even a little bit.
Could be a faulty coil pack. VCDS scan will log a misfire in the cylinder if that's the case.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2015, 10:48   #394
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Sorry to hear the issues Akshay.

What does the VAG COM say when hooked up? Any error codes?
Hey didn't have the VCDS at the time, so couldn't check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
Does the engine keep cranking without firing up or is there no ignition at all?
And I'm assuming this happens only when the car has been running at operating temperatures and then turned off?

Faced a similar problem with my old Getz CRDi. I hope to God it's not what I think it is!
The engine would start once, and then go off as soon as any accelerator input was given to make the car move. Then it would crank and not start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishaltanksale View Post
That's not very great news Akshay.
I guess you will have to be bit aggressive and pushy with the dealer, they don't seem to take things on priority till you make it visible to their management.
But If you think it's beyond dealership then time to wake up guys at Skoda.

I was in similar situation with my VRS, twice in last 2 years.

First time car got stalled but came back on its own within 10 mins and dealership check revealed nothing wrong.
2nd time it was completely down, but luckily it was dead battery.

So I understand your situation. Those Skoda horror stories come to your mind immediately :-(
I'm always aggressive and pushy with this dealer, simply because the last 2-3 experiences have made me wary.

Skoda service isn't as bad as it used to be. But it had improved in the middle, and then there was a downward trend again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Could be a faulty coil pack. VCDS scan will log a misfire in the cylinder if that's the case.
Coils were changed last year.

Apparently the dealer found a fault code from the air diverter valve, and cleaned/changed it. They said all would be fine after that. It took almost 2 weeks and multiple follow ups with Skoda for them to figure even that out.

So I've got the vehicle back, a few days ago. And the problem doesn't seem to have occurred again. But I guess we will have to wait and watch.

While giving the vehicle back, the person who went to pick it up said it was dirty and he had to ask them to clean it again. And then he called me again saying there was no fuel in the car. Told him to tell the workshop guys to fill fuel since it was given to them with a full tank of fuel, and if they were incompetent and took this long in finding out the issue then they damnwell better not give me a car without any fuel.

Also noises seem to have been fixed, and since the vehicle was at the workshop for a while the tie rods arrived and were changed too. The car feels good and tight now.

Filled up speed97 that night, and took it out for a long spin. And man, I've never felt the car accelerate like that. I don't know whether it was the diverter valve, but there was a big difference in the top end.

Either way, moral of the story - Don't buy a Skoda petrol (rather don't buy a vehicle which isn't common in the service centres). The dealers do not know how to fix anything beyond the purview of normal services.

Also while the MD is trying his best to improve things (and we can see a difference), I think there is something fundamentally wrong with the company.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 14:15   #395
Team-BHP Support

AAAAAND Another Update -

In the first week of October, the issue occurred again. This time too with the driver. Luckily I was close by, so I went and checked it out and got a video of the same. This time after even a few hours it just didn't start, so got it flat bedded to the workshop. Showed everyone the video, and even there it didn't start so this time they too saw the issue first hand.

They diagnosed it this time as the fuel pump, again after a few days of wasting time. And no prizes for guessing, parts not in stock. Was travelling for the last 10 days, but the vehicle isn't back yet. Its been there since the 5th of October.

Have got the issue raised to the MD thanks to a BHPian.

But needless to say, this is the last VAG car I am buying. I never thought it would come to this, honestly. But I have to eat my words and admit that the Skodas were a mistake.

I do not have the patience to deal with this kind of service, it is ridiculous.
Akshay1234 is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 15:39   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[b]AAAAAND Another Update
That is sad man and the feeling about VAG is mutual, i have also pledged to never buy their cars in India and thank you for saving me or else would have got involved in this cobweb again. Their cars are good and it is impossible to ignore them and buy some thing else but the service in India is pathetic. Serves VAG right with the huge fines they are slapped with now

Why can they not stock a fuel pump for a Laura in India and if it is there and they take 10 days to ship it, then its outrageous. It is a simple D segment car and no S class

Hope your car is back with you soon.
coolboy007 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2015, 15:56   #397
Senior - BHPian

Akshay bro can totally feel your frustration, Since i am too going through the same with my VW Jetta, For me its an Airbag error and obviously the part was'nt in stock, Since 16 september till today! And finally they have the part in stock but will only be able to replace it on 24th. Over this period of more than one month i too have decided the same, Not a VAG car again!
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 17:57   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But needless to say, this is the last VAG car I am buying. I never thought it would come to this, honestly. But I have to eat my words and admit that the Skodas were a mistake.

I will remember this next time you crib about me getting a Toyota!

But honestly - their service has gone to the dogs. They still haven't fixed the rattles on the Laura after keeping it with them for close to a week!
It isn't any better with their sister brand Audi either, and I don't think any of us are in the mood to see how VW service fares.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2015, 11:41   #399
Team-BHP Support

Heres another update -

After I wrote that last post, I did get the vehicle back a few days later.

The fuel pump was changed, so was the instrument cluster and the Bolero head unit.

I had also warned them that my vehicle would have to be cleaned properly, and delivered back in perfect condition failing which I would go to the dealership owner.

The service manager changed too while my vehicle was there, and the new one requested for a chance before I escalate matters more. And everything went off smoothly.

The vRS too is working fine as of now. *TOUCH WOOD*

So that's that. Hopefully I don't have to visit the godforsaken service centre for a while.

Some points to note - The Bolero head unit which has been put in, now doesn't have that BT audio check box (even though it didn't work) and the sound quality seems a bit worse.

In spite of a BHPian helping me escalate the matter to the MD of Skoda, I didn't really notice any change in attitude and nor did I get an acknowledgement back from anyone at Skoda (I did the last time an issue was raised to the MD).

Anywaaay hopefully things should be smooth now.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2016, 21:05   #400
BHPian

Any update on the vRS?

I hope you had no issues with the service centre later. BTW how come your vRs has been spared from the black Alloys and grill treatment?
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2016, 13:49   #401
Team-BHP Support

Probably one of my last updates for the vRS -

Its now on 77k kms. Touch wood its been running fine the last year. No real issues as such.

The driver side window motor conked off, and was changed. Front brake pads and discs were changed. Apart from that the front shock absorbers were replaced too, since the ride had become a bit jiggly. I think even the rears need replacement now.

Apart from the bad service issues I faced last year, I think the vRS has had a good run. It certainly was a great choice, and I still have a ball of a time every time I am behind the wheel. The vRS still feels pretty solid, and has aged well. There isn't much wear on the interiors, and only the leather on the seats has some creases which was expected.

The engine still feels great, and doesn't seem like its aged at all. No vibrations and no more noise over when it was new. And with the map it is quite a handful.

All in all I am still happy I chose this car, over all the others. But Skoda service has made sure I am not going to buy a Skoda anytime in the near future.

I shall be selling the vRS when 5 years are completed in March, and have already started the hunt for the replacement.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 16th December 2016 at 13:50.
Akshay1234 is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2017, 09:57   #402
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!

Time to part ways -

The vRS has had a good run, but it is now time to part ways. Not because we want to, but because there is the need for an automatic car. Its run in the city most of the time, and while the manual is great fun it gets tiring to drive in Mumbai traffic.

This vehicle has given us so much of fun over the years, and inspite of the bad service I don't regret buying the vRS.

Just fitted a new set of 225/50 R16 Michelin Pilot Sport 3s since the Yoko DBs were worn out. Also so that I can enjoy it a bit before it goes to a new home.

The front and rear shock absorbers were changed in Dec/Jan, and the front brake discs and pads a bit before that.

All denting and painting which was needed was done too, and now the car looks pristine.

I have put up an add for the car where you can see the latest pictures taken a few weeks ago
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...da/Laura.html/

If anyone is interested in picking the vRS up, do get in touch.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2017, 13:28   #403
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)

Hi Akshay, isn't the price extremely high considering suspension work is very close at this mileage and also it's out of warranty.
Something close to 6 would've been a lot more rational
dhruvritzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2017, 20:32   #404
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvritzed View Post
Hi Akshay, isn't the price extremely high considering suspension work is very close at this mileage and also it's out of warranty.
Something close to 6 would've been a lot more rational
My friend, suspension work has been done. Shocks were changed, and everything else checked and found to be ok. The car needs zero work and is ready to be used on a daily basis. As for the price, I'm not going to comment on it, but any buyers are welcome to come and see the car or talk to me and make offers.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote