Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 12th March 2012, 18:02   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default re: TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 53k kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The vRS is quicker to the ton than the Tdi DSG, by more than a second. The Tdi is pretty quick too and manages a mid 9 second 0-100, and feels quick too. As for the Cruze, I had 4 people in my car and there was a Cruze next to me with 2 people in it who was driving quick. I overtook him on the way to 100 and after that he could not get ahead till I braked. Hopefully that answers your question about which is quicker. Hell this might be slightly quicker to the ton than my Accord
So the Cruze probably slots itself between the tsi and L&K on performance credentials. The cruze has a late 8sec to early 9sec dash to 100 if i am not mistaken.
Now wait for a turn against the 163hp updated Cruze which is expected in a few months i guess. IIRC the torque figure is to go up as well.
That would be even more interesting.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 19:15   #62
BHPian

Quote:

The suspension is stiffer than the normal car, and I also read in the manual that the vRS has a sports electronic differential lock. That is something which only the L&K had uptill now, but this too gets it and its called sports EDL or something while the L&K is only EDL. Will check again and post more on it.

I wish there were 225s in stock, otherwise they would have been on the car for sure. The 205s lack grip and the next time I switch they will be 225s. When your locking the car you just keep the lock button pressed, any windows which are open roll up and the mirrors fold in.
Are you sure about the sport EDL? I also read about the same in the manual, dont you think its for the international variants of vRS? L&K has EDL and ESP also which i believe the Indian RS lacks.

I switched the tyres on my RS for the 225/50/16 PS3s. Superb tyres i must say. Much better grip than the Goodyears, doesnt squeal on the same corners as the stock ones used to and much more silent too. The pattern doesnt look 'sporty' as say a Yoko S-drive.

None on the dealers had the PS3s in stocks. Actually had put up a query in the michelin official site and they responded to me after a couple of weeks. Actually i thought i might never get any response, but they surely surprised me when they made any local tyre dealer of my choice to stock a set of PS3s for me

Quote:
The vRS is quicker to the ton than the Tdi DSG, by more than a second. The Tdi is pretty quick too and manages a mid 9 second 0-100, and feels quick too. As for the Cruze, I had 4 people in my car and there was a Cruze next to me with 2 people in it who was driving quick. I overtook him on the way to 100 and after that he could not get ahead till I braked. Hopefully that answers your question about which is quicker. Hell this might be slightly quicker to the ton than my Accord.
Great to know its as quick to the ton as an accord V6 I've been hesitant of reving it past the 5k mark, but hey i run out of roads here even before that.
avinash_clt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 00:53   #63
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
Are you sure about the sport EDL? I also read about the same in the manual, dont you think its for the international variants of vRS? L&K has EDL and ESP also which i believe the Indian RS lacks.

I switched the tyres on my RS for the 225/50/16 PS3s. Superb tyres i must say. Much better grip than the Goodyears, doesnt squeal on the same corners as the stock ones used to and much more silent too. The pattern doesnt look 'sporty' as say a Yoko S-drive.
Great to know its as quick to the ton as an accord V6 I've been hesitant of reving it past the 5k mark, but hey i run out of roads here even before that.
The manual said Laura RS, so there is a possibility its there. Though you are probably right, it may not be there.

I wanted 225/50 16s, but PS3 were for 11k per tyre which I did not want to spend at the moment. I'm sure the PS3 grips really well and does the car justice. What colour is your car?

Ok so I drove the Accord after a week, and now I think the Accord feels faster. It pushes so hard from 70-120 the vRS with its turbo et all cannot match up. I really need to write a comparison of the 3 cars
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 04:54   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok so I drove the Accord after a week, and now I think the Accord feels faster. It pushes so hard from 70-120 the vRS with its turbo et all cannot match up. I really need to write a comparison of the 3 cars
You really should All three are enthusiast cars but are very different from each other. I am interested in knowing what feels great as a daily driver within city. I am guessing it will be the TSI.
androdev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 08:47   #65
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Akshay, lovely purchase. I always found the 1.8 TSi motor to be a superb machine and was simply blown away when I drove the Laura when it was launched.

Which is your personal favorite ?? The NA V6/The Auto Turbo Diesel or the Manual high revving petrol ?? Mine would be the Laura anyday.
m4ugr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 09:57   #66
BHPian

Quote:
I wanted 225/50 16s, but PS3 were for 11k per tyre which I did not want to spend at the moment.
========I really need to write a comparison of the 3 cars
Eagerly waiting for a comparo between the three. Should be fun nevertheless.
Yep I paid 11.2k each for the PS3s. Luckily got 6k each for the stock goodyears. Feels laura too should have been 7J x 16 rims like the superb and yeti, the tyres would have looked meatier atleast
My RS is black, here are a couple of pics.
Attached Thumbnails
TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-edited0612.jpg  

TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-edited0618.jpg  

Last edited by avinash_clt : 13th March 2012 at 10:25.
avinash_clt is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 10:42   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
You really should All three are enthusiast cars but are very different from each other. I am interested in knowing what feels great as a daily driver within city. I am guessing it will be the TSI.
As a daily driver within the city I would take any of the automatics. As much fun as a manual is, it is a real pain in traffic. I shall start writing a comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4ugr8 View Post
Congrats Akshay, lovely purchase. I always found the 1.8 TSi motor to be a superb machine and was simply blown away when I drove the Laura when it was launched.

Which is your personal favorite ?? The NA V6/The Auto Turbo Diesel or the Manual high revving petrol ?? Mine would be the Laura anyday.
Thanks buddy. The motor really surprises me to with its torque. No personal favourite as yet, the Laura is fun but then torque steer can be irritating. The RWD of the Bimmer is just brilliant and so is the handling, which is a class apart. But then the Accord with its 3 litre engine and instant power is also loads of fun, the Konis add to that hugely.

Quote:
Eagerly waiting for a comparo between the three. Should be fun nevertheless.
Yep I paid 11.2k each for the PS3s. Luckily got 6k each for the stock goodyears. Feels laura too should have been 7J x 16 rims like the superb and yeti, the tyres would have looked meatier atleast
My RS is black, here are a couple of pics.
My tires had done 300kms odd before I upgraded so couldn't manage a good price back. Also 11.2 felt a bit much for me, I actually wanted Advan Sports in that size considering how happy I am with them on the Accord.

Your RS looks great in black, and the 225s really improve the look quite a bit. Next change 225s for sure.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 12:34   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks buddy. The motor really surprises me to with its torque. No personal favourite as yet, the Laura is fun but then torque steer can be irritating. The RWD of the Bimmer is just brilliant and so is the handling, which is a class apart. But then the Accord with its 3 litre engine and instant power is also loads of fun, the Konis add to that hugely.

My tires had done 300kms odd before I upgraded so couldn't manage a good price back. Also 11.2 felt a bit much for me, I actually wanted Advan Sports in that size considering how happy I am with them on the Accord.

Your RS looks great in black, and the 225s really improve the look quite a bit. Next change 225s for sure.
Thanks akshay. Yep 11.2 is quite high, but i didnt have any other option in that size. Your car looks great with the sunfilm. Now that i've spent on the tyres, sunfilm would have to wait. And when you go for the 225s, shod 17" rims too

Also i'm not sure, whether its cause i haven't pushed the car hard enough or due to the PS3s, i havent had any probs of torque steer yet.

Between the DRLs, when they are on , the tail lamp is also switched on. Is it odd or should it be like that?
Old 13th March 2012, 14:55   #69
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Also i'm not sure, whether its cause i haven't pushed the car hard enough or due to the PS3s, i havent had any probs of torque steer yet.

Between the DRLs, when they are on , the tail lamp is also switched on. Is it odd or should it be like that?
I couldn't hold back. I redlined it quite a few times, of course I'm ashamed of myself that I did that

Oh the tail lights are on too? I'll have to get that sorted then. I have not looked to see if mine come on too, but if they do I will get them coded out.
Old 13th March 2012, 20:44   #70
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the 5 star rating guys

Avinash - Since you are in Kerala why not get the Petes remap for the car? It will take it to 200+bhp and torque to 350+nm. Had a word with Peter today, and am considering getting it done in the near future.
Old 14th March 2012, 17:32   #71
BHPian

350+Nm of torque with just remap, wow Its too tempting. Dont think i would be going for it anytime soon. Thing is the car will be mostly used by my dad for his daily commute, and I'll stop having fun with it in a couple of months. Maybe a year from now, there'll be plenty of tales of torque steer to hear btw checked the tailight coming on with the DRLS?
Old 14th March 2012, 18:26   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
350+Nm of torque with just remap, wow Its too tempting. Dont think i would be going for it anytime soon. Thing is the car will be mostly used by my dad for his daily commute, and I'll stop having fun with it in a couple of months. Maybe a year from now, there'll be plenty of tales of torque steer to hear btw checked the tailight coming on with the DRLS?
Congrats on the Car. Looks smashing in Black!

About the tail lights coming on with the DRLs, I can tell you the tail lights do remain on during the day along with the DRLs in my TSI Ambient. THis is after the DRLs were activated after first service. Spoke to the SA about this and apparently there is an option to keep the tail and license plate lights on or off along with the DRLs. The SA assumed that I wanted them to be on and programmed it accordingly. I will be going down to the *** to rectify this. I don't want the tail lights to be on during day time.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 20:24   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the 5 star rating guys

Avinash - Since you are in Kerala why not get the Petes remap for the car? It will take it to 200+bhp and torque to 350+nm. Had a word with Peter today, and am considering getting it done in the near future.
Quote:
Firstly Congrats Akshay on getting the wonderful machine and 1st on the forum. Will Join the club soon in the coming week

Avinash congrats to you too. Pete's remap along with diverter valve, air intake, remap will get you 200Hp which is stage 1. Stage 2 and Stage 2+ will take you to 220 & 240 respectively. There is also stage 3 & 3+ which takes the engine to produce 300+ HP with Hybrid K04 turbo along with other mods However internal remains the same. I do think anywhere between 200 to 240 HP is good plus with the current IHI turbo that it comes with, turbo kicks in from 1800 rpm and peak torque after remap is acheived anywhere between 2200-2300rpm. With the Stage 3 hybrid turbo peak torque is achieved between 3000-3500rpm. For daily drive stage 1 or stage 2 should be good enough.
Plans are to get Stage 2+ setup once done with first 2000kms when I lay my hands on one soon.
Invinsible is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 21:02   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Congrats on the Car. Looks smashing in Black!

About the tail lights coming on with the DRLs, I can tell you the tail lights do remain on during the day along with the DRLs in my TSI Ambient. THis is after the DRLs were activated after first service. Spoke to the SA about this and apparently there is an option to keep the tail and license plate lights on or off along with the DRLs. The SA assumed that I wanted them to be on and programmed it accordingly. I will be going down to the *** to rectify this. I don't want the tail lights to be on during day time.
Thank you, have read many of yous posts before deciding on the Tsi Guess i too will have to take it to the service center then. Hope they have some idea of it cause they sure didnt have about the DRLs or enabling it. Neither do i want the tail lights to be on during day time, wasnt sure whether its odd or not, guess it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Avinash congrats to you too. Pete's remap along with diverter valve, air intake, remap will get you 200Hp which is stage 1. Stage 2 and Stage 2+ will take you to 220 & 240 respectively. There is also stage 3 & 3+ which takes the engine to produce 300+ HP with Hybrid K04 turbo along with other mods However internal remains the same. I do think anywhere between 200 to 240 HP is good plus with the current IHI turbo that it comes with, turbo kicks in from 1800 rpm and peak torque after remap is acheived anywhere between 2200-2300rpm. With the Stage 3 hybrid turbo peak torque is achieved between 3000-3500rpm. For daily drive stage 1 or stage 2 should be good enough.
Plans are to get Stage 2+ setup once done with first 2000kms when I lay my hands on one soon.
Thank you, great to know that one more vrs is going to be part of the forum. What color is yours? Stage1 should be more than enough and ideal for my requirements. Have to convince dad about it first though. We've been used to diesel cars for quite sometime now, and never felt that lack of torque at any stage. Loving this motor more and more each time i drive it.
Old 15th March 2012, 12:48   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
btw checked the tailight coming on with the DRLS?
Didn't check the tail lights yet, but will be meeting a friend with VCDS so will get that coding done soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Firstly Congrats Akshay on getting the wonderful machine and 1st on the forum. Will Join the club soon in the coming week

Small correction, just a Petes remap without anything else not even an air filter will get 200+. This is what he had told me. Of course the rest are bonus. Give it a bit longer than 2000kms considering how long the 1.8tsi takes to settle down.