Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 26th March 2012, 12:31   #91
BHPian

Default re: TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 53k kms up!

Bleated congratulations akshay!

The vrs must be sounding lovely!! I love the all black interiors.

Wish you a hassle free ownership

P:S I got my Laura last month and I completely agree that the horn earns 0 respect! It doesnt sound masculine. I wanted to know would changing the horn effect warranty? I want to be extra careful since I have opted for Exteded warranty as well. Thanks
Y@SH is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 14:33   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Oh did I mention the FE was about 11 with the Pune drive
Well if that's the figure, then I must say the VRS is quite fuel efficieny on highways! Cuz I do Mumbai -Pune every weekend but have never got above 12kpl in my Polo. Though I should add my avg speed is always >120 kph and go upto 170 couple of times
theragingbull is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 14:49   #93
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
Ah the curse of the skoda rattle!! . Trust me it will come and go as it pleases! My only grouse with this car if you ask me.

Also interested to know about your horn-change plan. You are right about how much respect it commands!
I intend on getting it fixed, because if I lightly hit the passenger seat when no one is sitting I can hear a similar noise.

Well for the horn I'm going to put Hella Black Trumpet horns, since the original Skoda horns cost 3k, and apparently keep failing. Also they won't be under warranty and I don't want to go on paying 3k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y@SH View Post
Bleated congratulations akshay!

The vrs must be sounding lovely!! I love the all black interiors.

Wish you a hassle free ownership

P:S I got my Laura last month and I completely agree that the horn earns 0 respect! It doesnt sound masculine. I wanted to know would changing the horn effect warranty? I want to be extra careful since I have opted for Exteded warranty as well. Thanks
Thank you.

As for the horn I'm sure it will affect warranty but they cannot really cancel warranty on the full car because of that. If anything it will only be if they can prove the after market horns caused the problem. Either way I can't stand this so tomorrow it will be changed to Hella.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Well if that's the figure, then I must say the VRS is quite fuel efficieny on highways! Cuz I do Mumbai -Pune every weekend but have never got above 12kpl in my Polo. Though I should add my avg speed is always >120 kph and go upto 170 couple of times
Even I was surprised. Yes I did not drive as quick as I normally do but I was well above the speeds you mentioned on the way back from Pune. I'm surprised with its efficiency.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 16:00   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Even I was surprised. Yes I did not drive as quick as I normally do but I was well above the speeds you mentioned on the way back from Pune. I'm surprised with its efficiency.
You can expect the fuel efficiency to improve by atleast 15% post 5000 Kms. Experienced this on my TSI. Do keep an eye on the oil levels though. The engine has a bit of a thirst for oil in the first 5K kms or so.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 26th March 2012 at 16:03.
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 16:16   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Well for the horn I'm going to put Hella Black Trumpet horns, since the original Skoda horns cost 3k, and apparently keep failing. Also they won't be under warranty and I don't want to go on paying 3k.
Thank you.
Thanks, yeah you have a point. I emailed skoda asking about it this morning and to my surprise got a reply today it self, here is what they have to say.
Quote:
Dear Yash,

Installing this feature aftermarket will affect the warranty. However, we do not recommend any deviation from stock specification.

Warm Regards,
Team Skoda
I'll ask my dealer before getting it done, anyways I am planning to install the OEM ones only (which used to come with the earlier models)
Y@SH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 16:53   #96
Senior - BHPian

Akshay -

Is there any difference in the Skoda & BMW horns ? If they are the same, do you plan to change the BMW horn or retain it ?
IIRC all the Europeans move around with similar if not exactly the same horns. Im pretty sure Audis,BMWs,Porsches,Mercs and RRs have the same horns .
So the BMW horn is fine while the Skoda one keeps failing ?

Last edited by Technocrat : 27th March 2012 at 01:07. Reason: corrected name on Akshay's request, thanks
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 17:31   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, yeah you have a point. I emailed skoda asking about it this morning and to my surprise got a reply today it self, here is what they have to say.

I'll ask my dealer before getting it done, anyways I am planning to install the OEM ones only (which used to come with the earlier models)
Thanks. You've helped us all with that piece of info. Do keep us updated. The pre-fl skoda laura horns were supposed to be much better. Is that what you are goin for?
vinj14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 18:30   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. You've helped us all with that piece of info. Do keep us updated. The pre-fl skoda laura horns were supposed to be much better. Is that what you are goin for?
Yeah the ones that came with the pre facelift version or maybe anyones that sound similar but will be stressing on the fact that I dont want any wires to be cut, it should be simple ; wire disconnected and reconnected.

Recently a stone chipped the cars windshield and it developed into crack, big enough to be visible from outside. Will have to get that sorted out with the workshop and while that is in progress will inquire about changing the horn. Sad that it is only a month old (new) car

Last edited by Y@SH : 26th March 2012 at 18:31.
Old 26th March 2012, 21:16   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah the ones that came with the pre facelift version or maybe anyones that sound similar but will be stressing on the fact that I dont want any wires to be cut, it should be simple ; wire disconnected and reconnected.

Recently a stone chipped the cars windshield and it developed into crack, big enough to be visible from outside. Will have to get that sorted out with the workshop and while that is in progress will inquire about changing the horn. Sad that it is only a month old (new) car

The Hella horns are simple with quick connectors and no wire cutting is required. I am also thinking of getting our Laura horns changed.
I had also faced a similar windshield crack on my Yeti and Windshield experts were able to fix it for 950 rupees. If the crack is less than 1 inch and not in the drivers viewing area, they should be able to fix it.
Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 26th March 2012 at 21:18.
Behemoth is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 21:27   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
The Hella horns are simple with quick connectors and no wire cutting is required. I am also thinking of getting our Laura horns changed.
I had also faced a similar windshield crack on my Yeti and Windshield experts were able to fix it for 950 rupees. If the crack is less than 1 inch and not in the drivers viewing area, they should be able to fix it.
Regards,
Behemoth
Oh, then I should give the hella horns a try, thanks. Damn, it was less than an inch till today morning. Crack extended overnight, yesterday it was fine, the crack was small for three days.
I saw that they can repair cracks like star cracks which I had. However when I called W.E this sat on the mumbai helpline as well as National helpline they were completely unaware of repairing cracks! The lady in mumbai said itll had to be replaced and guy on the national helpline said ill ask my senior and let you know. Had also sent an email but got no response. Lucky you!
Old 26th March 2012, 21:50   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Ah the curse of the skoda rattle!! . Trust me it will come and go as it pleases! My only grouse with this car if you ask me.
Absolutely right vinj14. I once visited the A.S.S. to get rattles sorted and they disappeared. However, minor sounds start abruptly and cease likewise, without any intervention. Guess that's the best way to deal with them.
bloodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 23:40   #102
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post

Is there any difference in the Skoda & BMW horns ? If they are the same, do you plan to change the BMW horn or retain it ?
IIRC all the Europeans move around with similar if not exactly the same horns. Im pretty sure Audis,BMWs,Porsches,Mercs and RRs have the same horns .
So the BMW horn is fine while the Skoda one keeps failing ?
The Skoda Laura now comes with a normal sounding horn, not the European sounding one. It sounds like a Honda almost now (ok slightly better). This as been since a few months. Also BMW and Merc and the VAG have difference horns I'm pretty sure. The BMW horn sounds fine, and it too apparently fails often but that is under BSI. In the RS if the horn failed I would get the same useless horn under warranty.

Quote:
Pre FL horns also had enough of failures. I changed mine to Hella Black Trumpet today, and its just soo much nicer to actually get people to move out of the way if I have to. Cost me 1100 including fitting.

Quote:
Regards,
Behemoth
The plugs on the stock horns had to be removed and cut off, and the Hella connectors were attached. Those plugged into the horns. It sounds almost exactly like the proper Skoda horns, and these Hellas last long. I've had the same on the Accord for more than a year.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 00:37   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You could have got the entire windshield replaced under warranty right?

Quote:
Oh, then I should give the hella horns a try,
You could do one thing. Carry a pair of aftermarket horns and ask them to install it, in addition to the stock horn. When A$$ installs, there is no warranty problems. You might need to add a switch which can swap the horns. At-least this is the set up I have in my Swift [done thru MA$$], hope Skoda also allows this.

Quote:
I changed mine to Hella Black Trumpet today, and its just soo much nicer to actually get people to move out of the way if I have to.
IMO all trumpet horns get damaged when water goes in. I have had this problem and am running on the 3rd set in 3 years. Almost every rainy season, one of them conks off!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 27th March 2012 at 00:38.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 09:08   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
You could have got the entire windshield replaced under warranty right?
Yes, windshields are covered 100% under insurance, but you end up losing the No Claim bonus, which is typically 20% of the premium amount and in my case this loss was close to 7K. So instead of going for warranty replacement of the windshield, I went for repair. Windshield experts tell you if they can repair and in case they cant't repair their replace the windshield (coordinated with Insurance).
However, what I came to know from both Gurgaon and Delhi, is that they are replacing in 95% cases and repairing only in 5% cases. The chemical - Cyanoacrylate is also in short supply with them, and I had to wait almost 3 weeks before it became available at their Vasant Vihar centre and then I got the repair done.

@Y@sh: try reaching them at their head office at 0124-44084444 and then telling them that their Mumbai centre is not repairing windshields. They will coordinate with them and hopefully will be able to repair the windshield if the crack has not spread too much.

Windshield cracks from flying stones are quite common here, especially on the highways in Gurgaon and one can expect it to happen at least once in two years, though happening in the first month is quite unfortunate!

(PS: Sorry for the Windshield discussion on your thread Akshay - but I guess this is one scenario almost all of us would face sometime! Now let us get back to Akhsay's vRS!)

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 27th March 2012 at 09:12.
Behemoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 09:23   #105
BHPian

Quote:

Indeed its really fuel efficient. It keeps giving 8kmpl+ in the city (vs my old i10 kappa's 11 kmpl in city) and a respectable 12-13kmpl on the highway. Even if pushed hard it still return 10.5kmpl+ . Btw i'm also nearing 1500km on the ODO and feels the same about the engine setting in nicely.

Also the PS3s have set in. Its silent even at 120kmph and even more brilliant around corners, hard to make them squeal.

Quote:

Pre FL horns also had enough of failures. I changed mine to Hella Black Trumpet today, and its just soo much nicer to actually get people to move out of the way if I have to. Cost me 1100 including fitting.

The plugs on the stock horns had to be removed and cut off, and the Hella connectors were attached. Those plugged into the horns. It sounds almost exactly like the proper Skoda horns, and these Hellas last long. I've had the same on the Accord for more than a year.
I switched the OEM horns to bosch symhpony. costs only 450 per pair, trumpet type itself. Kinda sound european. Same with the plugs on the stock horns, they had to be removed and new connectors attached. I haven't used them before and donno how long they last. But @450 per pair and having kept the OEM ones with me, worth the buck i guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
IMO all trumpet horns get damaged when water goes in. I have had this problem and am running on the 3rd set in 3 years. Almost every rainy season, one of them conks off!
Yes I've heard about the notoriety of these type of horns. The way the horns are supposed to be placed for optimum sound (with the opening facing frontwards), its easy for water to enter during a wash or while driving in rain. Hadnt they come this cheap, wouldnt have opted for them.
avinash_clt is offline   Reply With Quote