Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 27th March 2012, 10:42   #106
Team-BHP Support

Default re: TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 53k kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
IMO all trumpet horns get damaged when water goes in. I have had this problem and am running on the 3rd set in 3 years. Almost every rainy season, one of them conks off!
I've had them on the Accord for more than a year, and the car is washed everyday and the horns have also survived the monsoons. I live in an area where there is a lot of pedestrian traffic and need to keep honking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
I switched the OEM horns to bosch symhpony. costs only 450 per pair, trumpet type itself. Kinda sound european. Same with the plugs on the stock horns, they had to be removed and new connectors attached. I haven't used them before and donno how long they last. But @450 per pair and having kept the OEM ones with me, worth the buck i guess.
I've used those too I think, but they wore out within a year. Actually they started sounding different. The Hella Black Trumpets are OEM horns for some cars (don't remember which) and they last longer. Anyway next time you can switch to these.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 14:08   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I've used those too I think, but they wore out within a year. Actually they started sounding different. The Hella Black Trumpets are OEM horns for some cars (don't remember which) and they last longer. Anyway next time you can switch to these.
Yup, maybe next time then.
Did your RS come with rear mudflaps? I didnt notice any in your pics. They werent on my car either, thought they are supposedly part of the trim level. Almost all other lauras , including the ones in the showroom have them. Though the car looks better without them, i already have small scratches on the rear bumper (nearer to the wheel wells), should be due to the flying debri along with the wider tyres.
avinash_clt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 08:04   #108
BHPian

Hey Akshay, belated congrats on your Laura RS buy. That's the garage any enthusiast would wish to have. By the way, the ASR (Anti-Slip Regulation) in RS is nothing but the traction control system, right? Or that was what I was thinking until I went through the features list in the Skoda website that I've captured as screenshot below. This is confusing now . So are there really two different features? If so, how different are they and what do they do?
Attached Thumbnails
TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 77k kms up!-asr.jpg  

vvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 09:33   #109
BHPian

Quote:
I've had them on the Accord for more than a year, and the car is washed everyday and the horns have also survived the monsoons. I live in an area where there is a lot of pedestrian traffic and need to keep honking.

How does the Black Trumpet sound? Like the regular skoda,bmw horns?
I installed Minda skoda type horn in my car before 2 months and now they sound very different. However after several minutes of driving the original sound comes back again. I'm considering changing these. Also does anyone know what is the horn found in the polo and vento called?
StrangeWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 12:37   #110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
Yup, maybe next time then.
Did your RS come with rear mudflaps? I didnt notice any in your pics. They werent on my car either, thought they are supposedly part of the trim level. Almost all other lauras , including the ones in the showroom have them. Though the car looks better without them, i already have small scratches on the rear bumper (nearer to the wheel wells), should be due to the flying debri along with the wider tyres.
No I don't think it has mudflaps. Those are part of some Skoda essentials pack for 8k, which I didn't take. Though yes even I am getting some small scratches there, might get the mud flaps fitted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvijay View Post
Hey Akshay, belated congrats on your Laura RS buy. That's the garage any enthusiast would wish to have. By the way, the ASR (Anti-Slip Regulation) in RS is nothing but the traction control system, right? Or that was what I was thinking until I went through the features list in the Skoda website that I've captured as screenshot below. This is confusing now . So are there really two different features? If so, how different are they and what do they do?
I think they are one in the same. The car does not have ESP but only ASR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
How does the Black Trumpet sound? Like the regular skoda,bmw horns?
I installed Minda skoda type horn in my car before 2 months and now they sound very different. However after several minutes of driving the original sound comes back again. I'm considering changing these. Also does anyone know what is the horn found in the polo and vento called?
Black trumpet sounds pretty similar to the VW horns. Try the black trumpets out.
Old 28th March 2012, 13:42   #111
BHPian

Hi everyone

Before I dive into this thread, do allow me to conduct some very important business up front. First of all, a massive hello to my fellow T-Bhp gangstas. You guys make this thing incredibly coveted and top drawer stuff. Second of all, a big thank you to the moderators for giving me the opportunity to represent this forum. What can I say: it is just an absolute privilege. I will, of course, introduce myself to the group shortly in a separate thread. But since this is my first ever post (after religiously stalking the forum for over 4 years) I figured a small vote of thanks wasn't entirely out of order. So mods, thank you very much for approving my membership. May our tribe increase and go from strength to strength!

Now that that is sufficiently done and dusted, let me move on to my next order of business - which is the topic at hand. On this momentous occasion, it gives me immense pleasure to announce that I am soon going to be following in the footsteps of Akshay and Avinash. Yes sir, I am all set to add the Laura RS to my stable soon. The screening process was kinda long-drawn-out and oftentimes emotionally charged (which it invariably is with us Indians) and again I will try to shed some light on that separately. However for now, suffice it to say that I'm glad it has ultimately gone on to simply reaffirm the RS as my initial pick. Once a petrolhead, always a petrolhead I guess

Akshay, your thread has come in super handy in irrevocably tipping the scales in favor of the RS and hence nailing the decision. Your timing couldn't have been better buddy. She has been on my radar since December when it was decided we'd buy our next car. Tracking this thread went a long way in helping me take the plunge.

More in time...
Omtoatom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 18:03   #112
BHPian

Hi Omtoatom, welcome to Team-BHP! As with the RS, I'm one another guy who's getting this RS fever slowly. Actually, RS is growing over me in such a way that its blinding me to look into other choices into the segment. What a tempting car man! Excellent choice! Do post the buying experience and how it is to be under the wheels of RS. We'd love to hear from you
vvijay is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 20:12   #113
BHPian

Arrow re: TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 53k kms up!

Quote:
Hi Omtoatom, welcome to Team-BHP! As with the RS, I'm one another guy who's getting this RS fever slowly. Actually, RS is growing over me in such a way that its blinding me to look into other choices into the segment. What a tempting car man! Excellent choice! Do post the buying experience and how it is to be under the wheels of RS. We'd love to hear from you
Vijay, thank you on both counts!

Yeah well, I know precisely what you're saying partner. The RS is just that kinda car - I mean if you're anywhere near the aficionado that I am, these species of cars will have that 'blinding' effect on you. All of a sudden, pragmatism and better sense will take a back seat. Petrol prices, anything-but-conservative numbers clocked on the odo everyday, cheaper alternatives, Skoda *** etc. all be damned

All I can say is the RS is a true driver's car with one heck of an engine at her heart (the overall package isn't exactly passable either!) and if you're willing to look beyond some of those stumbling blocks, I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

I'm just getting into the starting end of the buying process and for sure, will share the experience. Guess I owe that much to my fellow petrolheads.
Old 29th March 2012, 01:38   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post

I'm just getting into the starting end of the buying process and for sure, will share the experience. Guess I owe that much to my fellow petrolheads.
Good to have you on board. You have made a good decision with the RS. What else were you considering? And what colour are you thinking of?

I know the engine is the same as the TSI but 2 things which made me love the RS are the front seats and those LED DRLs
Old 29th March 2012, 08:24   #115
BHPian

Also appreciate if you could tell us the current OTR price, waiting period for the RS, and any discounts/offer in store now. I'm nowhere close to booking one, but so curious to know
vvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 09:57   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Also appreciate if you could tell us the current OTR price, waiting period for the RS, and any discounts/offer in store now. I'm nowhere close to booking one, but so curious to know
At Calicut, vehicle had an ex-showroom price of 15.66lk and OTR came to 17.91lkh (including road tax & Skoda Shield). They gave me a discount of 1lk on the OTR amount. Waiting period was two weeks, depends also on the color i believe with the Race blue taking more time. Expect atleast 30k more on chennai ex-showroom price alone.

P.S: this is the pre-budget price. Add another 50-60k perhaps, and its affects on the OTR.
avinash_clt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 12:51   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Good to have you on board. You have made a good decision with the RS. What else were you considering? And what colour are you thinking of?

I know the engine is the same as the TSI but 2 things which made me love the RS are the front seats and those LED DRLs

Thanks a ton Akshay. It's good to have someone back you up when you get off the beaten track, if you know what I mean!

Besides the RS, my consideration set largely comprised the Jetta DSG, the Jetta TSI (when launched), the Cruz and the Laura DSG. Will fill the group in on the fine print of that screening shortly. Anyway looks like it's going to be a toss up between the Black and the Race Blue. There are some resident issues on delivery times with the Blue, so let's see how things shake out.

Yup I quite dig the DRLs, the adaptive Xenons and the Alcantara seats myself. With the exception of the L&K, no other car in the segment even has Xenons. If you ask me, the Jetta almost screams for them. Anyway like it or not, aftermarket Xenons and LED DRLs just don't give the car that seamlessness in design and that was a big factor for me. And of course, few pleasures match the high of a slick MT

Quote:
Will do Vijay. I'm still negotiating the final price with the dealership and I should get a closure on that over the next couple of days. Delivery times are estimated at anywhere from 2 weeks to 4 especially if one were to pick the Blue. Standard discounts currently are in the 75K bracket but there's always some wriggle room. I shall have all the figures for you once we close out.

Last edited by bblost : 29th March 2012 at 15:32. Reason: back 2 back
Old 30th March 2012, 23:05   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
Thanks a ton Akshay. It's good to have someone back you up when you get off the beaten track, if you know what I mean!

Besides the RS, my consideration set largely comprised the Jetta DSG, the Jetta TSI (when launched), the Cruz and the Laura DSG. Will fill the group in on the fine print of that screening shortly. Anyway looks like it's going to be a toss up between the Black and the Race Blue. There are some resident issues on delivery times with the Blue, so let's see how things shake out.

Avoid black, its a terrible colour for Mumbai. Difficult to maintain and gets very hot too. The Jetta is a great car but lacking some features, which it needs to have. Not that the vRS has loads of features, but at least xenons are there.

In the mean time, gave the RS to my driver for the first time yesterday, afterall he will be driving it everyday after a few days, and boy was he excited or what. He seemed to love the power, but I'll have to teach him all the features which might be an overload for him after the Innova
Old 31st March 2012, 01:17   #119
BHPian

Unhappy re: TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 53k kms up!

Quote:
Avoid black, its a terrible colour for Mumbai. Difficult to maintain and gets very hot too. The Jetta is a great car but lacking some features, which it needs to have. Not that the vRS has loads of features, but at least xenons are there.

In the mean time, gave the RS to my driver for the first time yesterday, afterall he will be driving it everyday after a few days, and boy was he excited or what. He seemed to love the power, but I'll have to teach him all the features which might be an overload for him after the Innova
Point well taken Akshay but getting the blue is turning out to be a bit of a pain in the neck. I think Skoda rationed bigtime on the yellow and blue in production and kept them largely to brandish in the media's face during the launch. Don't think they themselves thought there'd be many takers for the blue!

LOL on the driver overload. Yeah try starting with the Xenons, and then maybe you can move on to the plethora of acronyms there...say the DRLs, TPM, ASR, EDL, MBA etc. Umm I suspect he might just ask you to let him go back to the Innova after all.
Omtoatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 10:14   #120
BHPian

Akshay, having had the vRS for over a month now (with a better part in the sultry summer of the city), what's your experience with much berated climatic AC in the Laura range? Even the official review says it's just not cool enough under the sun. Of course, I will be getting 3Ms or V-Kools right away but is there another quick-fix?
Omtoatom is offline   Reply With Quote