Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 31st March 2012, 20:04   #121
Team-BHP Support

Default re: TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 53k kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
Akshay, having had the vRS for over a month now (with a better part in the sultry summer of the city), what's your experience with much berated climatic AC in the Laura range? Even the official review says it's just not cool enough under the sun. Of course, I will be getting 3Ms or V-Kools right away but is there another quick-fix?
Well that was the main reason I got Vkools put on before I took delivery. The AC now is just fine, sure it may not be as cool as a Hondas but it cools quick. The Vkools have helped bigtime, and if you put those on you will be fine. Don't forget V70 on the front.
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 20:58   #122
BHPian

You betcha Akshay. Can never stress enough the importance of having your windshield covered. The sun's absolutely lethal beating down from there. Makes the dash burning hot and the steering almost impossible to hold. Lemme see if I can trade the 3Ms for the VKools.
Omtoatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2012, 22:08   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234

Don't forget V70 on the front.
Just be mindful that vkool blocks GPS signals as its a metallic film. I have VK70 all around on my Laura and need to roll down windows whenever I have to use navigation on my phone.

The film definitely improves AC performance though.
bloodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 17:47   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post
Just be mindful that vkool blocks GPS signals as its a metallic film. I have VK70 all around on my Laura and need to roll down windows whenever I have to use navigation on my phone.

The film definitely improves AC performance though.
Oh I wouldn't know, don't use gps. I'm not sure its metallic, if it was it would have been reflective to a certain extent. Though it may be possible. Wouldn't it have also affected normal cell reception too?
Old 1st April 2012, 18:13   #125
BHPian

The film supposedly has an array of metals. The cellphone reception is not hampered, but it blocks GPS signals and toll tags (used on Delhi - Gurgaon expressway). I'm not aware of technical reason for selective blockage.

The vkool shop said they cut a small portion in the film to fit toll tag so that it works.

3M's CR films are ceramic based and hence allow passage of GPS signals. 3M didn't have a shop in Delhi, hence went for vkool.

Last edited by bloodred : 1st April 2012 at 18:16.
bloodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 18:56   #126
Team-BHP Support

3M CR is ceramic, while RE is metallic. VK70 is metallic just checked on the Vkool site.

1800kms
Took the car to Lonavla again for the day. This time average speeds were much higher since it was in the day and visibility was much better. The rear passengers were complaining about the AC cooling being ineffective inspite of having the Vkool films all around. It only cooled properly when the fan was on 3. I might have to get this checked, or it is possible that because I was driving quick the compressor wasn't on full load.

But man this car is stable and thanks to the higher profile tyres the ride is pretty good too. Infact I think I can keep a higher average speed in this because some of the bumps which unsettle the BMW couldn't be felt in this. Of course I wish I had managed to get 225s instead of 205s.

The high speed braking is great and so is the pedal feel. The brakes do not feel strained at all and there is no fade, of course I didn't really push them but still.

Otherwise an enjoyable drive, the engine oil level seems fine till now. But the engine is really a gem, and with 4 people in the car it got to pretty high speeds very fast. This time due to the AC and the speeds the mileage seems to be a shade under 10.

The horn upgrade is a godsend, and people can actually hear this horn now.

More updates soon.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 19:32   #127
BHPian

Heartly congrats Akshay on the monstrous procurement.

The other day I saw one yellow RS at old airport road past zooming, overtaking me in no time. I thought of going behind to have a closer look, but sort of refrained myself recalling the 40 odd bhp and torque differences between my car and THE RS.

Can you please throw some light on the handling characteristics of RS compared to say Punto .. (would rather also want to know how great Bimmer handles compared to Punto) ..

To put it like this, how do u feel when getting behind punto wheels after driving a Bimmer, and how do u feel on a RS after driving the Punto.
Speed Pujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2012, 20:57   #128
BHPian

Lightbulb re: TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 53k kms up!

@Akshay: 1800 on the odo in what...a shade over a month? You really are pushing her to the limit. Nice!

But basically your update reinforces the fact that I made the right decision with the RS and that gives me immense satisfaction. The RS as a car, in today's day and age, defies common logic/economics and obviously needed some serious internal selling. But if you get all that at the end of it all, it's every bit worth your while man.

Yes, we may have a slight problem with the AC but I'm sure we'll unearth a workaround OR at least a way to optimize it's functioning.

Now can't wait (even more) to get my hands on her.
Old 3rd April 2012, 13:30   #129
BHPian

Exclamation re: TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 53k kms up!

@Akshay: may I ask which dealership you got the RS from and how your overall buying experience was?
Old 3rd April 2012, 20:13   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Pujari View Post
Heartly congrats Akshay on the monstrous procurement.

The other day I saw one yellow RS at old airport road past zooming, overtaking me in no time. I thought of going behind to have a closer look, but sort of refrained myself recalling the 40 odd bhp and torque differences between my car and THE RS.

Can you please throw some light on the handling characteristics of RS compared to say Punto .. (would rather also want to know how great Bimmer handles compared to Punto) ..

To put it like this, how do u feel when getting behind punto wheels after driving a Bimmer, and how do u feel on a RS after driving the Punto.
For that you will have to wait for my comparo thread between all the cars. Will take a short while though, I'll add the Punto to it too, considering it can also be called an enthusiast car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
@Akshay: may I ask which dealership you got the RS from and how your overall buying experience was?
I have been using the car quite a bit Of course after my Sunday drive I've stuck to the A/Ts in the house, a bit sick of manual now.

Bought the car from Autobahn, the guys are nice over there though the buying experience is average. The company handled it all after we finalised the car so can't comment much on it.
Old 8th April 2012, 12:56   #131
Team-BHP Support

The comparison some had asked for is done -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...punto-mjd.html (The Comparison - vRS vs Accord V6 vs 320D vs Punto MJD)
Old 8th April 2012, 16:06   #132
Senior - BHPian

Interesting comparo. One would expect the 320d to win a driver's car comparison, but I guess practicality wrt ride harshness, run-flats, no spare lets it down.
BTW, Autocar shows slower 0-100kmph timings for both the 320d and 320i as compared to BMW.in. Probably, they haven't updated ?
lancer_rit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2012, 16:18   #133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Interesting comparo. One would expect the 320d to win a driver's car comparison, but I guess practicality wrt ride harshness, run-flats, no spare lets it down.
BTW, Autocar shows slower 0-100kmph timings for both the 320d and 320i as compared to BMW.in. Probably, they haven't updated ?
Yes on perfect roads it would be the BMW, but then again the drama of the V6 with the K&N will be missed. So its too hard to decide.

But the timings, Autocar had tested the 3 with a slightly less powerful engine i.e before it was upgraded. Also they post the timings which they get on their Vbox. And the conditions are different etc, so it may not be fully accurate.
Old 16th April 2012, 11:09   #134
Team-BHP Support

Coding -

Met akki_5 yesterday to do some minor coding on the car.

1) Activated automatic lock and unlokc
2) One press unlock for all 4 doors instead of 2 presses on the unlock key.
3) Changed l/100km to Km/l in the display

Thats about it since the car has everything else activated already. I was messing around with the software, I think I may have done something silly because later it wasn't able to connect to my car But the car starts and runs fine so I don't really care, because I doubt I'm gonna have to change anything now.
Old 16th April 2012, 11:29   #135
BHPian

Talking re: TSI Power, My Skoda Laura vRS. EDIT: 53k kms up!

Very happy to announce that my vRS is finally home. Although at the cost of sounding a shade immodest, I'm compelled to say that she's a real stunner and one heck of a catch. We're still getting to know each other, so you can expect periodic (and hopefully not sporadic) reports on the progress we're making on that front. As with any relationship, we're kinda taking it slow at the moment but if early signs are anything to go by, we're totally going to hit it off - sooner rather than later. And when that happens, expect some serious sparks to fly!

Cheers!