Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 18th March 2012, 11:57   #16
BHPian

Default Re: My 2012 Tata Nano LXi

aabidansari - Hearty congratulations on your Nano 2012! With the rising fuel prices and worsening city traffic, the Nano with its good fuel efficiency and compact dimensions make good sense as a city ride. And with the 2012 version, I think they have upped the quality to acceptable levels (considering its price).
Viju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 20:11   #17
BHPian

Hi Aabid,

Congrats on your new baby. I also purchased one last month and am waiting for another week or so before putting up a "First Month" review. I am also surprised at the mileage. I got 16.5 on the first filling and 15.5 on the second. This from a car claiming to give 25 Kmpl!!! I guess it's early days yet and will have to wait till after the first service to really get a good idea. I am trying to meticulously follow the running in speeds but find it almost impossible in a hilly area like Goa. When you change from 3rd. gear to 4th. gear at 40 Kmph (recommended during run in) there's just nothing under your right foot and I have to go back to 3rd!! FYI the alarm system is connected to the horn which will sound if someone triggers the alarm. Otherwise when you arm/disarm the orange indicator lights lights flash once/twice. No audible chirp. I also purchased the stereo from the dealer. What a waste of Rs.8000/=. I have now changed the speakers to JBL and the SQ is much improved.

Wishing you many happy miles. Drive safe.
SS
suzuki san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 14:11   #18
BHPian

Default Tata Nano mileage!!!

After having driven her around for the past six months and thru the first service, I am yet to get the claimed mileage of 24 kmpl.

All I get is 12 kmpl!

Ok, lets see where I am going wrong...
1. I did the running in period by the book
2. I maintain the tyre pressures
3. I don't rev her too much
4. I buy fuel from a reputed bunk
5. I try to maintain the drive in the 3rd and 4th gears

and then...
1. I keep shifting the gears very frequently in the city traffic (unavoidable)
2. I have no control over the frequent stops (at traffic lights, etc, where the engine keeps running)
3. The roads in my city are not roads - they are a series of ditches and mounds

where am I going wrong?

The service guy listed all the above problems and said sorry.

Guys - help me out here.

All those Nano owners, please tell me how can I get more than what I am getting now.

I love the car, but the only moot point is the mileage.

I hope I dont have to regret buying the car.
aabidansari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 14:41   #19
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nano mileage!!!

The advertised 24kmpl is only on 'ideal' driving conditions which we do not have in a city. But 12kmpl IS low indeed for a small car. Try shifting to a different 'reputed' bunk. See if the air fuel ratio can be changed in the A.S.S.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 19:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

I guess petrol pump is your culprit. I got between 12-14 initially, but now a day it hovers between 19 and 21 depending upon how I drive. And mind you, this is with AC at level 1.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 20:32   #21
BHPian

aabidansari - Many congratulations from a fellow Nano owner!

Had purchased a white Nano LX 2012 in Feb'12. The average you have mentioned no doubt would be a cause of concern. For mine, the range is similar to what Amtak has mentioned. Definitely needs to be investigated thoroughly during servicing.
SSD2122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 12:50   #22
BHPian

Smile Re: My 2012 Tata Nano LXi

Congratulations aabidansari . Even i am a new nano owner. Although my ownership report is yet to be approved. I am sure you are enjoying your ride.

Well for the fuel efficiency figures, i got around 16kmpl during the running in period. I have completed around 1400 kms till date and the efficiency i am getting is around 18.6 to 23.8 kmpl in the city with AC after the first service was done. Overall i am really happy with my car too.

Regards

Aditya
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 13:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

Guys, while we are at it, have you received calls from your dealerships/service centers for replacement of instrument cluster motor? Apparently, TATA is recalling all Nanos for the same. It may so happen that its note the fuel pump, but the instrument cluster giving faulty reading?
Old 20th July 2012, 13:57   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Guys, while we are at it, have you received calls from your dealerships/service centers for replacement of instrument cluster motor? Apparently, TATA is recalling all Nanos for the same. It may so happen that its note the fuel pump, but the instrument cluster giving faulty reading?
Nope. Even i got to know about it from another thread. I will wait for a few days and if i dont get a call, i will call the workshop itself and confirm.

@amtak - is it for all nano's sold till date or is it just a specific batch ?
aditya.bhardwaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 14:52   #25
Senior - BHPian

The lady told me all Nano's. However, I am a little sceptical on that. The only plus point, the meter reading would be reset to Zero.
Old 20th July 2012, 16:22   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, what's this?

Anyways, Thanx guys,
Esteem lover and Amtak - maybe you are right about the petrol bunk.
Shall go to the best in town for the petrol from now on. Lets see.
Old 20th July 2012, 17:01   #27
BHPian

Quote:
What is this? Please elaborate.

Thanx Esteemlover and Amtak for the advice. Shall stick to the best pump in town from now on. The day I start getting better averages I shall post with joy.

What does the green band on the tacho (60~80) mean? Does that indicate the most economical speed range? I have never been able to do above 60 in the city.
Old 20th July 2012, 17:41   #28
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Nano mileage!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabidansari View Post
After having driven her around for the past six months and thru the first service, I am yet to get the claimed mileage of 24 kmpl.

All I get is 12 kmpl!
Nice report there and a really cute car. Congrats. (And its LX right - i)

As mentioned by you, there seems to be nothing wrong in your usage that need major correction, and yes 24kmpl is in ideal and not real city conditions. So relax and anything upto 16- 20kmpl would be good and more than that great!

Some points to ponder on the mileage that might make a difference-

1. Try to fill up fuel only at a Company Owned PSU bunks or in a Shell bunk if nearby (Shell users have even reported lower litres being filled up on every refill - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2841361)

2. The best way of tracking fuel efficiency is the full tank method that is noting the fuel consumed between 2 tank ups and the number of kms run. This will clarify any doubts raised from the fuel guage in the car even if faulty.

Hopefully your mileage improves after run in and using other methods such as these.

Last edited by girishglg : 20th July 2012 at 17:42.
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 17:53   #29
BHPian

Congrats on your buy!! A short, to-the-point and crisp review really loved the way you have described everything. You've spoken your heart which is nice.

Surely Nano is the ultimate city car. And I genuinely think its looker too. The pearl white Nano with black alloys look really nice.

Enjoy your time with it Cheers.
thumpingheart is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2012, 11:00   #30
BHPian

After a lot of trials & errors, I have finally found 'inner peace'.

I followed the good advice of my team-bhp colleagues and I must admit I am reasonably satisfied with the outcome.

1. I am now buying fuel at the same bunk (Ekayars at Venkatnarayana road - Chennaites are probably familiar with it). Was a regular here about 10 yrs ago till I shifted my residence. Now that my office is just down the street I am back with them.

2. I am also taking a different route for commuting - this has added about 3kms to my distance travelled but with a distinct advantage of having no traffic at all.

3. I have changed my driving style. This was the most difficult to do. I now drive peacefully. No need to overtake the car ahead. No doing bumper-to-bumper. I let others whizz past me. I do not shift gears so often. I maintain a steady speed. No revving. And lastly, I am mostly on the 4th or 3rd gear.

All this has done immense good to me and my car. From a pathetic 11.5kmpl which I used to get earlier I now can boast of 16.5kmpl.
A little more patience and discipline on the roads and I am sure I shall achieve more.

But hey, what the hell, I am satisfied. I now know that it wasn't the car that was at fault but me (the driver) who was no good.
That kinda humbles me. And it has taught me an invaluable lesson.

I am using that lesson learnt in my life as well. Patience, Discipline - these virtues that we learnt in school - actually do help. And the biggest lesson of all - Do not worry too much about the do's and the don'ts in life, Just go with the flow.

Ah....Inner peace.
aabidansari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote