Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 9th March 2012, 23:45   #1
BHPian

Default Ford Figo TDCI Titanium Silver joins the family

I just picked up my silver Figo TDCI Titanium today , 9th March 2012, which coincides with the Figo's 2nd birthday. We booked/paid up for the car on March 3, after weeks of thinking, finally decided around 1st March to bite the bullet and get a diesel replacement for our 2000 WagonR - before the diesel tax takes effect. Since time was short , decided to scrap the less likely/less researched rivals and whittled the contenders. Other cars in consideration were Polo TDI , Swift and Ritz - but upon hearing the price rise would be March 16 onward, decided to finish the deal early , the Swift was out of question due to waiting period, the Ritz never made it for TD after calling several dealers, and eventually didn't even try for Polo TDI test drive at all , having already got the idea about the 1.2 engines being mediocre , and no 1.6 TDI option. I loved the Grande Punto , dad liked it too but felt claustrophobic due to the high sills and resultant poorer visibility. Drove both the Punto 75 and Figo on 2nd March, waited for Ritz to be available until 3rd March afternoon, after its no-show decided to drive down and decide which car on the way. Asked dad which car he felt more confident driving in, and the Figo won out due to visibility. We picked the "Chill" color, but we informed it had to be ordered, and that could take time , so decided on silver which they had available. And we now drove it home today.

The RTO work is pending, will be done by Wednesday, so it's on a temp registration right now, and probably won't be out the next 3-4 days.

Initial impressions :
1. Engine is noisy even when warm, cabin insulation is good so I can't hear the clatter until the window/door is opened.
2. Brake modulates much better than the test drive vehicle we tried.
3. Ford recommends semi-synthetic 5W30 grade oil only ( not synthetic ).
4. Spare bulbs are DELA brand ( Google revealed no useful hits ), its carton says Osram India at the bottom , and also printed not for retail- could be a local India-only OEM brand. Osram Nightbreakers from previous car to go in next week along with seat covers.
5. OEM audio sounds decent, yet to give a proper sound test
6. OEM HU does not read MP3s in USB if kept in folders, it must be directly under the USB file system only.
7. AC seems great, as noted in review on 1st page.
8. Headlamps seem weak, but some more real world driving with the Osram NBs in place will show how it fares.
9. Wiper/turn signal stalks config confusing at first, after being used to Marutis.
10. Tyres are Goodyear GT3s. My dad won't be heading anywhere close to their limits, so no urgency changing them yet - until I start putting some miles in it !
11. Rear leg room is generous if the front seats are pushed way forward. My dad is short , so he sits with the seat pushed far ahead.
12. Steering feels nicely weighted and accurate. The Punto's steering felt lighter than this though.
13. I don't remember seeing a temperature gauge - need to see tomorrow.
14. Horn seems weak, but could be because of the cabin insulation
15. Headlamp bulb replacement/adjustment is getting more and more ASC work than DIY.
16. Turbo kick-in seems stronger than it did in the Punto. No other reference as these are the only two turbo-diesels I have driven
17. Cabin feels airy due to large glass area and low sills , primary reason for selecting the Figo over the Punto - my dad is a bit short, so visibility is a concern and the Punto seemingly has the worst visibility among hatchbacks.
18. Skimping on rear power windows and split rear seats seems a bit cheap of Ford. But then the Swift doesn't offer split seats either.
19. Battery supplier to is a new name , don't recall now, but will check later. It does seem an odd capacity - 43AH. Maybe difficult to find an aftermarket equivalent - is Ford doing so to limit customer choice and keep the money flowing via spares ?

Looking for sun film recommendations - which grade/tint ? Especially for windscreen, it should not be darkened, yet much of solar energy comes from windscreen and heats the dashboard much . Any suggestions ? I also read mixed reviews about the GT3 tyres and Apollo Acelere. Are the GT3s the worst of the bunch ( the 3rd OEM is MRF - which specific I don't know ) ?

PS : I still turned and looked longingly at Puntos on the drive back home ( Lineas , Ventos and Polos too , but Grande Punto most since that's what I'd have picked if it was me-only car ) passing by ...how could my dad choose the plain Jane Figo over the gorgeous Punto !
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Figo TDCI Titanium Silver joins the family-dsc_2209.jpg  

Last edited by Ricci : 10th March 2012 at 02:09.
Ricci is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 14:37   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Ford Figo TDCI Titanium Silver joins the family

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Ownership section. Thanks for sharing!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 14:54   #3
BHPian

Congratulations on the car. Let it give you miles of happiness.

I myself own a April 2011 Figo Titanium. Please find my comments for some of your points below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
6. OEM HU does not read MP3s in USB if kept in folders, it must be directly under the USB file system only.
Please check this again. On my car, it detects songs inside directories also, no issues.
Quote:
There is no temperature gauge. In case of overheating, a warning lamp comes on. That's it.
Quote:
Don't worry, the horn is adequately loud. In Bangalore traffic, I never felt that the horn is weak.
Quote:
16. Turbo kick-in seems stronger than it did in the Punto. No other reference as these are the only two turbo-diesels I have driven
Cannot call it turbo-kick exactly. There is a power surge that you can feel at around 1800-200rpm, but that is nowhere comparable to what you experience in a Swift or i20.

Last edited by A350XWB : 12th March 2012 at 14:55.
A350XWB is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 15:00   #4
BHPian

Let me be the first to congratulate you!
It was a Deja vu feeling seeing the pic of your silver Figo all decked up for delivery. About 2 years back I too bought mine home!

Quote:
I just picked up my silver Figo TDCI Titanium today , 9th March 2012, which coincides with the Figo's 2nd birthday.

4. Spare bulbs are DELA brand ( Google revealed no useful hits ), its carton says Osram India at the bottom , and also printed not for retail- could be a local India-only OEM brand. Osram Nightbreakers from previous car to go in next week along with seat covers.
8. Headlamps seem weak, but some more real world driving with the Osram NBs in place will show how it fares.
12. Steering feels nicely weighted and accurate. The Punto's steering felt lighter than this though.
15. Headlamp bulb replacement/adjustment is getting more and more ASC work than DIY.
!
The spare bulbs in mine too are Dela. The stock lamps now I think are from Phillips. Earlier it was Halonix. New one have made only marginal improvement as you too have commented. Wont installing nighbreakers void the warranty?

Somehow I felt Figo's steering was lighter than the Punto and like it that way too!

There is no temperature guage but there is a DIY described somewhere in the official review page where you can see the temp in odo display.

The horn is good, atleast much much better than the i10 I have

Best wishes for a happy safe ownership and driving experience!

I realise A350xwb has beaten me to it !

Last edited by Deep Blue : 12th March 2012 at 15:13.
Deep Blue is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 15:26   #5
BHPian

Congrats Ricci, Nice crisp review. Even though you haven't selected Polo, Swift or Ritz if you could post your TD experience in here it'll add value to prospective buyers.

Do take time off to post some more pictures, especially of the interiors.

Wish you many miles of safe driving.
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 15:53   #6
BHPian

Congrats, I would say VFM product you have chosen based on your needs.
My brother also bought Figo TDCI 1 month back. I drove it and i really loved the smooth engine, soft turbo kick, comparatively soft clutch than other diesel cars in market.
I loved it's boot.
enjoy the car which is light on pocket and fun to drive.
Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 20:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Headlamps seem weak, but some more real world driving with the Osram NBs in place will show how it fares.
Congratulations on your new ride.

Another forum member who drives a Figo petrol experimented with this and the results were not spectacular in any sense of it. He upgraded to 90/100 watt bulbs. The low beam is still not as good as one might want. The primary reason for poor beam reach is due to the reflector design. This was done by Ford as a safety measure. The beam does not blind the person coming in the opposite direction.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 21:43   #8
BHPian

Thanks for the good wishes, all !

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Congratulations on the car. Let it give you miles of happiness.
I myself own a April 2011 Figo Titanium. Please find my comments for some of your points below.

Please check this again. On my car, it detects songs inside directories also, no issues.

yes, I checked in the manual, and verified it does read from folders. It does seem though it cannot handle nested folders, such as <artist>/<album>/*.mp3 , only one level of folders.

There is no temperature gauge. In case of overheating, a warning lamp comes on. That's it.

OK, thanks. I haven't quite finished reading the manual, but I think a temp gauge should not be done away with.

Don't worry, the horn is adequately loud. In Bangalore traffic, I never felt that the horn is weak.

Cannot call it turbo-kick exactly. There is a power surge that you can feel at around 1800-200rpm, but that is nowhere comparable to what you experience in a Swift or i20.
I haven't driven the Swift or i20 - both were out of the consideration , one for the long waiting period, the other because I've read the steering issues and high maintenance costs elsewhere on Team-BHP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Blue View Post
Let me be the first to congratulate you!
It was a Deja vu feeling seeing the pic of your silver Figo all decked up for delivery. About 2 years back I too bought mine home!

Cool, silver's a nice shade that suits most vehicles. Do point to your ownership thread if you have one.

New one have made only marginal improvement as you too have commented. Wont installing nighbreakers void the warranty?

No, they are stock wattage bulbs, so no one has any excuse to void the warranty.

Somehow I felt Figo's steering was lighter than the Punto and like it that way too!

I felt otherwise , the Punto felt lighter. Both felt precise though.

There is no temperature guage but there is a DIY described somewhere in the official review page where you can see the temp in odo display.

Ah, thanks for the tip. I'll explore the manual over the next few days properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Congrats Ricci, Nice crisp review. Even though you haven't selected Polo, Swift or Ritz if you could post your TD experience in here it'll add value to prospective buyers.

Do take time off to post some more pictures, especially of the interiors.

Wish you many miles of safe driving.
Thanks Arup ! I only got the test drives of the Punto 1.3 MJD and Figo. I had shortlisted the Polo , Swift and Ritz too , but the reviews of the Polo diesel spoke of rather mediocre engine, and no 1.6 option as with the petrol, so the Fiat Grande Punto 90BHP was top of my preferences, the Polo TDI second ( would be close if VW had a 1.6 or similarly capable to Grande Punto 90BHP motor ) , but I also heard of the expensive spares and ended up not calling for a TD. The Swift went out due to long waiting periods , and the Ritz wasn't available at 3-4 dealers we tried , one didn't turn up after speaking to us saying he'll be there shortly.

So we tested just the Punto and the Figo. My dad felt a little put off due to the poorer visibility out of the Punto, he being the main driver for the near future as my office is rather close. I'm looking forward to some weekend miles in the Figo though, and maybe once I have money and a need for another car all to myself , I'll probably buy a sedan.

I'll definitely take pictures - waiting for the reg , before taking it out.
We'll be getting the registration in a day or two, have planned a short trip soon after which I hope doesn't become a photo session of me instead of the Figo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Congrats, I would say VFM product you have chosen based on your needs.
My brother also bought Figo TDCI 1 month back. I drove it and i really loved the smooth engine, soft turbo kick, comparatively soft clutch than other diesel cars in market.
I loved it's boot.
enjoy the car which is light on pocket and fun to drive.
Congrats to your bro too !
yes, the boot is largest among hatchbacks, I wish they offered split seats as well , it helps when you have 3 people + lots of luggage. I loved the steering feel , and the low stance helps in the curves, the height is lower than the Punto ! I put the Figo 3rd in my rating due to it's older tech engine being least powerful of the bunch, and the plain looks compared to the Punto/Polo .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
The primary reason for poor beam reach is due to the reflector design. This was done by Ford as a safety measure. The beam does not blind the person coming in the opposite direction.
Yes, I agree with that. We took the car out for a bit, and the beam isn't very confidence inspiring. Once dad/I have driven more at night, we'll take a call on going beyond stock wattage bulbs or HID.

Last edited by Ricci : 12th March 2012 at 22:02.
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 21:54   #9
BHPian

Congratulations on your purchase. It is really a very good car and this variant of Figo has all the basic safety features. And you will really enjoy the ownership of this car. Wish you many happy and safe miles.
HappyRoadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 22:28   #10
BHPian

Congrats Ricci for your dad's Figo

I remember you posting across many threads. You clearly had posted somewhere else that you wanted the Punto but your dad was more comfortable with Figo. When I bought my Figo, I was not too impressed. But with time, Figo keeps impressing me in every aspect. I've learnt to squeeze the max out from its puny engine. With better low-end torque than competition and least turbo-lag, you can shove dust in other cars' faces in cities once you learn the art of perfect RPM driving and up-shifting. If still not satisfied, there's always Pete's tuning box to make it a hot hatch!

Talking about space, only today, I carried 7 people (me included and 5 persons in back seat) with 5 airport-type luggage and 5 laptop bags. It was no problem! No one complained about space or AC.

You said that Figo has least powerful engine. Well, with 7 people + 5 luggage, my Figo's engine didn't complain. Other cars' engines might be faster but put load on them and they sputter. If an engine can't give me linear power supply or fails under load, its technology and torque figures are all useless for me.

Keep revvin'
DevilsCry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 22:49   #11
BHPian

Quote:

PS : I still turned and looked longingly at Puntos on the drive back home ( Lineas , Ventos and Polos too , but Grande Punto most since that's what I'd have picked if it was me-only car ) passing by ...how could my dad choose the plain Jane Figo over the gorgeous Punto !
Congrats on your new buy!

For point 6: The OEM reads and plays the songs just fine from the folders. The number 1 and 2 on the HU will help you navigate though folders. If this is not the case in your car, please do get it checked.

As for the Punto! Ask me about it! Had almost booked the Punto and here I am for the past 1 1/2 year with the Figo TDCI Titanium cursing myself every time I am on the road! (Not that Figo is any bad, but its just my obsession with FIATs which never seem to die...)
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 22:50   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci
Do point to your ownership thread if you have one.
My log - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ford-figo.html (The Blue oval cometh. My Ford Figo.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci

Ah, thanks for the tip. I'll explore the manual over the next few days properly.
Link to get the temp guage
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...13500-kms.html
page 1, post 9
Deep Blue is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 22:54   #13
BHPian

Quote:
gorgeous Punto !
Congrats on your Figo mate, hate to admit it but I also suffer from the 'i wish I had a punto syndrome'. That car is just gorgeous!
I dropped my idea for a Figo, one reason majorily being its plain looks, the Beat is a stunning looking car but the Punto is a beauty!
Happy kms crunching on your Figo!
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 23:04   #14
BHPian

Thanks Deep Blue, I'll go through those !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
Congrats on your new buy!

For point 6: The OEM reads and plays the songs just fine from the folders. The number 1 and 2 on the HU will help you navigate though folders. If this is not the case in your car, please do get it checked.

As for the Punto! Ask me about it! Had almost booked the Punto and here I am for the past 1 1/2 year with the Figo TDCI Titanium cursing myself every time I am on the road! (Not that Figo is any bad, but its just my obsession with FIATs which never seem to die...)
Yep, I was stunned when the sales person was handing over the car, when he said you cannot have folders int he USB drive. I tried and it wasn't reading from the USB we had then. Later I checked the separate manual for the ICE, there it is mentioned about the 1 and 2 buttons for changing folders. Caveat : appears you can only have one level of folders, not nested/recursive.

I keep showing my dad too , everytime I come across a Punto or Line ! They'll haunt my dreams at this rate ! The Figo is dynamically well matched to the Punto (who knows maybe even better, given that it sits lower than the Punto, effectively the CG should be lower ) - no cpmplaints there, but with the Punto , you want to look at it again , and again ! The solid build makes it feel like you're cocooned too. Though I admit, I like the Polo's styling almost as much, even though it's edgy instead of curvy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Congrats Ricci for your dad's Figo

I remember you posting across many threads. You clearly had posted somewhere else that you wanted the Punto but your dad was more comfortable with Figo. When I bought my Figo, I was not too impressed. But with time, Figo keeps impressing me in every aspect. I've learnt to squeeze the max out from its puny engine. With better low-end torque than competition and least turbo-lag, you can shove dust in other cars' faces in cities once you learn the art of perfect RPM driving and up-shifting. If still not satisfied, there's always Pete's tuning box to make it a hot hatch!

Talking about space, only today, I carried 7 people (me included and 5 persons in back seat) with 5 airport-type luggage and 5 laptop bags. It was no problem! No one complained about space or AC.

You said that Figo has least powerful engine. Well, with 7 people + 5 luggage, my Figo's engine didn't complain. Other cars' engines might be faster but put load on them and they sputter. If an engine can't give me linear power supply or fails under load, its technology and torque figures are all useless for me.

Keep revvin'
Thanks , but it's mine too ! At least not exclusive to my dad until I get my next car, I hope not too far away !
How did you manage to fit 7 people in a Figo !? The fifth is a tight fit, that must be one scene to watch !

The AC is superb, no doubt. Even the space is quite good, among the better hatchbacks. The Figo is less powerful, though 68hp is not that low compared to 75bhp for Swift/Punto/Polo , but the Figo also makes less torque - 160Nm , which is a lot more than petrol hatchbacks though. For city driving this is more than sufficient, I am a little apprehensive about highway speeds, the 8V engine would have weaker top end than 16V MJD engines. The only things I think they should not have skipped is the rear power windows and split seats. The ground clearance is low at 168mm, so that is something to watch out for. The rest of package is nice - the interiors, ergos, and the dynamics are nice indeed.

@superutp
looks like you already bought the Beat ( 2011 ) ? Good looks are desirable, but even more than looks , ride , handling , performance, space and comfort. The Figo bests the Beat on all those , so I dropped the Beat altogether for this time, being smaller, less spacious and the 3 cylinder motor the smallest of the lot. But I wasn't too drawn to the looks of the Beat either.
Happy mile-munching with the Beat !

Last edited by Ricci : 12th March 2012 at 23:16.
Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2012, 23:24   #15
BHPian

Quote:
superutp
looks like you already bought the Beat ( 2011 ) ? Good looks are desirable, but even more than looks , ride , handling , performance, space and comfort. The Figo bests the Beat on all those , so I dropped the Beat altogether for this time, being smaller, less spacious and the 3 cylinder motor the smallest of the lot. But I wasn't too drawn to the looks of the Beat either.
Happy mile-munching with the Beat !
Mine is a 2 and a half month old Beat, however its the Petrol Version not the diesel one. Well just to defend my choice, my Criteria for a new car was a lot different than yours (It all there in my ownership thread). But Ill give this to you, out of the aspects you mentioned, when it comes to handling (diesel or petrol) the Figo definitely bests the Beat. Everything else, well depends on your choice and needs.
Looks are subjective but we do agree on one thing though, the Punto is gorgeous!

Last edited by superutp : 12th March 2012 at 23:37.
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote