Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 6th April 2012, 14:38   #16
BHPian

Default Re: The Juggernaut - Skoda Octavia vRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Turn the switch to the last setting, you will feel a spring setting. Hold it beyond the spring setting and it will retract inside
Thanks man, will try that. Was scared of breaking something, being new to the car and all
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2012, 13:13   #17
BHPian

Just came back from Shirdi, it was a 500 km run. Left mumbai at 23:30 and reached there at 03:30. At the start I was driving slow, but once I crossed Bhiwandi Toll Naka, I started to gradually increase speed cautiously. After I crossed Nasik Expressway Toll Naka, I increased cruising speeds to 140+. The roads were empty, they were new and negligible bumps and potholes, they had very clearly visible Median Strips. After I crossed Sinner, the roads still were clear and clean, but after one point of time, the road suddenly became bad and filled with potholes, but not to worry, I was in a vRS. This was a small patch and then the road got better but it was without and Strips. Little difficult, so slowed down to 120-130.

While returning, it was day and it was hot. I was kinda sleepy but I drove on. I felt too much sleepy so I stopped on the side of the road, kept the A/C on and slept for a few minutes. Felt better so again moved ahead. But I was sleepy, so after half an hour or so I stopped again, this time I slept for half an hour. Now I was feeling much better, but that feeling lasted a few minutes. Luckily I was near Nasik. Once I reached nasik I found a little empty space, so I started to drive just a little fast, not fast, but loud actually. Opened my window and sun roof, slid the car in 2nd and put the pedal to the metal. My sleep vanished, so I continued till around end of Nasik Mumbai Expressway, by that time sleep was completely gone, so then came down to 80, put the car in cruise control and relaxed.

The car was perfect for the highway, it had more than enough power for any overtake at any speed. The suspension wasnt that hard that your back would break, but wasnt that soft that you would be scared to take a corner at what would be considered high speeds.

Milage
While going, got a milage of 9.8L/100kms = 10.2040816
While returning got a milage of 10.3L/100kms = 9.70873786
And mean milage was 10.1L/100kms = 9.9009901

Average Speed
While going, got an average speed of 62 kmph
While returning got an average speed of 54 kmph
Mean average speed was 58 kmph

Travel Time
While going was 4 hours and 6 minutes
While returning was 5 hours and 9 minutes
Combined travel time was 9 hours 15 minutes.

These were displayed by the MID and not my calculations. Will be refueling tonight and will get an acurate Milage. Also read in the Manual that we should not overfill. How? We should ask them to stop filling once the Auto Cutoff occurs. When they are filling my pressing the lever of the pump, the extra fuel is going into the catback(???) and is then removed once the car starts to move. Now I dont know how true it is, but I dont mind following this system.

The car has now done 50300+ kms and around 2300 after me buying it on 23rd of March, meaning I have covered around 105 kms per day.
abhayshanu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2012, 13:58   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the Jugernaut! THe Octi vRS is just amazing to look at from all angles. Those alloys look so much better than the one on the current RS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
Milage
While going, got a milage of 9.8L/100kms = 10.2040816
While returning got a milage of 10.3L/100kms = 9.70873786
And mean milage was 10.1L/100kms = 9.9009901
THose are decent figures for a peted vRS

Quote:
While returning, it was day and it was hot. I was kinda sleepy but I drove on. I felt too much sleepy so I stopped on the side of the road, kept the A/C on and slept for a few minutes.
Avoid sleeping in a stationary car with AC on and in re-circ mode. It carries the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Check out this thread. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ning-kill.html (Cop found dead inside a car. Can Air Conditioning kill?)

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 13th April 2012 at 14:00.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2012, 17:27   #19
BHPian

Wow what a car you found! We know its not a easy job to find a clean used single owner vRS. Amd then you got stage II?? Thats maximum bang for the buck! Good to see the car is still capable of bringing smile on everyones face who ever sits in it.

Congrats for the lovely ride and thanks for the useful reviews!
LP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2012, 20:06   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat
Congratulations on the Jugernaut! THe Octi vRS is just amazing to look at from all angles. Those alloys look so much better than the one on the current RS.

THose are decent figures for a peted vRS

Avoid sleeping in a stationary car with AC on and in re-circ mode. It carries the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Check out this thread. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ning-kill.html (Cop found dead inside a car. Can Air Conditioning kill?)
I have achieved an amazing mileage of 13.3 kmpl. This was when I drove from my resort to WTC and back around 4-5 times in 2days.
Also thanx for that A/C thing, won't be doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP640
Wow what a car you found! We know its not a easy job to find a clean used single owner vRS. Amd then you got stage II?? Thats maximum bang for the buck! Good to see the car is still capable of bringing smile on everyones face who ever sits in it.

Congrats for the lovely ride and thanks for the useful reviews!
Thanx. Many more reviews, dyno and comparisons to come.
abhayshanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 18:28   #21
BHPian

Congratulations, Abhay.

Trust me, its an additive vehicle. The more you push, the happier it make you. Take good care of it.

Good Luck with the vRS.

Cheers,
Ardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2012, 12:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Man. Awesome review. You are now tempting me to look for a vRS. I am mainly worried and have not gone for it since its a Skoda and known to give trouble. My OHC Vtec is running fine however the vRS is still tempting. Keep the thread updated. Good Luck.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2012, 04:46   #23
BHPian

Default Juggernaut vRS Update

The Juggernaut has had its first bigish problem. Was fixed about 1 month after I found it, due my lack of time and the right person not being in town.

It all started in the last few days of April. I was driving down from Town and heading home. Had reached Santacruz Airport Flyover, when I went in for a overtake. I found that the car was jumping(actually it was jerking), thought its the just the road and ignored. Came down the fly over and again pressed the accelerator and found the same feeling. I understood its not the road but the car. My heart sank thinking its a Skoda and the problems have started. Well I had a good month run.

I came back home and talked to my friend who's a Automobile Engineer. He said he couldn't understand and that I bring the car to him the next day. Anyway went in the night to test and find out what exactly the problem was. Took the car to eastern express highway and pressed the accelerator. The car normally would come upto 19-20 psi at around 2500 rpm and stay till around 4000 rpm, after that there would be steady drop. Now what was happening was, the Boost was flucktuating between 17-20 psi and suddenly dropped to 5 psi. I was even more saddened now. I was thinking that I have blown my turbo. I still remember thinking, "How the hell do you blow a Garrett Turbo????" I came home thinking that. Slept, barely. Got up in the morning and took the car to my friend. Morning had brought the optimist out of me. I thought maybe its a leak cause Pressure is building up. My friend drove the car and confirmed that its not the turbo, as if it was, the car wouldn't get ANY turbo. He said there are number of things and this being a Modded car, he wasn't comfortable handling it. He suggested I take it to the guy who did all this work.

Had to go to work, so drove the car in this condition. In a few days got time to head to Peddar Road, where Rishad has his workshop. Asked around and his office told me that he is out of country and would be back by 20th of May. I was disappointed but understood that everyone needs a holiday. Drove car minimal and one day, thought about talking to Peter's Helpline and see if they can provide any solution that might work. Called them up and they said they would get a technician to call me back. And call me back he did. I picked up the call and he said his name was Peter and I was ok, then a bulb lit up and I asked, "Are you THE Peter"? He said yes. I was going to ask again but then I though if he took the time to contact me, I should not waste his time. I explained my whole ordeal and he suggested that I check all hose piping connecting the Turbo. He thought it might be the pipe connecting the Turbo Gauge to the Turbo. I got my friend to check all the piping and found nothing. Peter was out of town till Saturday that week, so gave him a call again on monday to say that it hadnt worked. He said if we have checked all Hoses we should open and clean the Throttle Body and have it Realigned. He also asked to clean the MAF sensor.

We cleaned the MAF sensor and I headed to Skoda the next day to get the TB cleaned and realigned. Got that done and thought this should be it. Pressed accelerator and PHAT!!!, heard a huge misfire and with that my Heart was shot, it started to bleed. I drove the car and after sometime the check engine light came on. Once that happened, I pressed the brake pedal and my heart with the car came to a halt. I called my friend he said to check the Throttle body and said there might be something loose. I opened the bonnet to find the hose connected to the TB completely disconnected. Connected it and drove again, again the same thing. So now drove the car home slowly. Next morning got a few Plastic ties(the ones used by stores to tie our shopping bags) and tied the hose down. Drove the car now, the original problem wasnt solved yet. I wasnt happy, who would be? I came back and told my friend its the same thing. He said now he can think of 2 things, 1 - Spark Plugs, 2 - Ignition Coils. I asked him to check both, he said he wouldn't as its of no use to check physically, you wouldn't be able to understand if they work or no. He said, he would change the spark plugs and we could check if it helps. We did and nothing. Now it was already around 20th so he said that he wont do anything and neither will I. I would now wait till Rishad got back to rectify the problem.

Called his workshop on the 20th-21st and they said he is back and would come to office by 14:30 and give me a call back. He didn't. I called the next day and the same thing was repeated to me. He still didn't. The next day I called him up directly and told him my complete ordeal, he requested me to come in the next day to have the car checked. I went to him the next day and the moment he drove the car he said its the Coil/s. I hoped that he wasnt extremely knowledgeable and that it would turn out to be a very small loose wire/pipe or a wrong code or anything!!! He said that he would check the car completely and give me a call the next day. I had told him that the car was properly serviced at Skoda, which I later came to know that my father hadn't sent it.

The next day he called my. Now here is something I did not understand, I from the moment met him, felt he was knowledgeable and honest. So he called me and said, "I have some bad news for you". These words can NEVER be good in any context and here it meant that the car has a bigish problem and not the kind my silly optimist side of brain was wishing for. He continued,"After throughly checking the car I have found that the coils are not working properly, all of them." I thought how can ALL the coils fail together?"Also I have to report that the Coils are not the High Performance ones I had installed, but regular Skoda ones. At your service Skoda must have replaced them and thus causing the problem." Now I could just think 2 things, either he isnt knowledgeable at all or he is thinking that I am not, thus trying to fool me. My mind reminded me of how fast he diagnosed the problem so it made me think he was trying to fool me. I then told him that I had been mistaken and that the car HADN'T been serviced at skoda and that the Coils hadnt been touched before the car came back to him(he was the only person who did the maintenance before I bought it), so I without trying or implicating him, blamed him. He got defensive and I tried to explain, I could understand. Now he was either innocent and got defensive because he was offended or he was guilty and got defensive as he thought he was cornered. I really dont even know till now. He said that the car needed 1 new Iridium Plug ONLY, stock wouldnt work, so I would require to get a set of that too. He also stated that the car would run on ONLY High Performance Coils. I asked him time to consider and decide.

I then picked up the telephone and called Pete's Helpline and asked if a Stage II vRS would require High Performance Coils or could it run on regular. They said, HPCs are a must, but Iridiums are a overdo, the car would run perfect if not better of regular Plugs. The prices were also more or less the same. I spent Saturday and Sunday gathering resources and gave him a call on monday to order the coils but I would get the Plug. I had no intention as the car would run fine without the Iridium ones. I was told that the parts would arrive in 2 days, so it should arrive by Wednesday but it didn't and Thursday was Bandh so didn't arrive that day too. I called Rishad on both days and he talked to me, wasnt very helpful though. On Friday I knew if the parts did not arrive that day or the next I wouldn't get the car till the following Monday and I needed it for the weekend. I asked him to provide the Tracking Number, so I can get the Courier guys to deliver them to him, he again got defensive. Anyways he then said that he would get his office to call the Courier Guys and get back. He called me back in 10 mins saying that the parts have arrived and that they would reach him the next day by 12:30-13:00. He said he would make sure my car was finished, appreciated this.

The next day I called him and he said, yes, they have 'just' arrived and the car would be ready soon. He now said that he was mistaken and the Coils weren't replaced but were actually the ones he had installed. He also said that I wouldn't need Iridium Plugs and stock plugs would do. So earlier my car 'needed' Iridium Plugs and my coils weren't the ones he put. What I did not understand was, while explaining the difference between Stock Coils and his High Performance Coils, he said, "The stock coils are Screw Type and the High Performance ones are Direct/Bolt on" If that was/is true then how could he have mistaken this? I also confirmed with my friend and the Coils in the car were Screw On, as we had physically when I asked to just SEE and check if anything is loose or looks burnt.
Anyway, I couldn't go get the car so arranged my GF to go and pay them and arranged a Driver from a Driver Service called Call-a-Driver to bring the car home.

Now the car is running fine, just need to go and collect the Coils from Rishad. In the end, I am confused if he was trying to fool me or was he really mistaken. Found his service other wise very professional.

Last edited by abhayshanu : 9th June 2012 at 04:48.
Old 11th June 2012, 15:05   #24
BHPian

Finally got my Left Side High Beam working. Also installed Bosch Wipers. Now I'm completely prepared for the rains
Old 20th June 2012, 23:56   #25
BHPian

Just installed Got BHP? and Live to Drive T-BHP stickers on it. Looks good IMO. Both really do suite the car/me respectively.

The Juggernaut - Skoda Octavia vRS-imag0241t.jpg
Do you Got BHP?

The Juggernaut - Skoda Octavia vRS-imag0242t.jpg
I Live to Drive

Last edited by abhayshanu : 20th June 2012 at 23:58.
abhayshanu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2013, 11:18   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Just installed Got BHP? and Live to Drive T-BHP stickers on it. Looks good IMO. Both really do suite the car/me respectively.

Attachment 944073
Do you Got BHP?

Attachment 944074
I Live to Drive
Just went through your entire thread. Must appreciate the wonderful car you drive. Even felt a little jealousy. A brilliant package!!

All in all, it has only increased my appetite for getting a vRS. Someday man, someday!!

In your last post, where the 'got BHP' sticker is shown, I see that the bumper looks crudely cut to accommodate the exhaust. Is this part of the modification? Looks very cheap IMHO. Please do something about it.
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2013, 17:19   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Just went through your entire thread. Must appreciate the wonderful car you drive. Even felt a little jealousy. A brilliant package!!

All in all, it has only increased my appetite for getting a vRS. Someday man, someday!!

In your last post, where the 'got BHP' sticker is shown, I see that the bumper looks crudely cut to accommodate the exhaust. Is this part of the modification? Looks very cheap IMHO. Please do something about it.
I have only 3 words to say. Go for it.
The car is amazing, it CAN be a daily drive but a milage or 8-10 kmpl for city driving for a person who travels minimum 50 kms a day, it isnt. But EVERY night when I return home (Haji Ali-Marol) I just keep thinking I should have come by car today. But its ok, I do take the car out on a regular basis in the night.
The car itself has been having some minor problems and that was the reason for not participating in the recent drags. Sorting them all out and it should be back to its top form soon enough.

Also the Stage II was done by the previous owner and so was the cutting, when the car will be repainted, all that will be sorted out.