Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2017, 13:15   #571
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,995
Thanked: 4,055 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
One query on putting new tyres in front. Should not they go to the back for a big heavy car like the Superb? Sounds counter-intuitive but that is what is being recommended now.
Yes, I have read that thread. But I am going with what has served me well for almost 30 years now. In front wheel driven 'sedans' , I feel the best place for new set of rubber is the front. And I could notice an immediate difference in ride quality. I suppose there is no substitute for real world experience.

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 18:39   #572
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,198
Thanked: 191 Times
Default Re: Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Yes, I have read that thread. But I am going with what has served me well for almost 30 years now. In front wheel driven 'sedans' , I feel the best place for new set of rubber is the front. And I could notice an immediate difference in ride quality. I suppose there is no substitute for real world experience.

Cheers...
Actually, new tyres must go to the rear regardless of FWD, RWD or AWD. Less grippy front tyres result in understeer, while the same in the rear cause oversteer. Understeer is easier to deal with as a driver, than oversteer.
lancer_rit is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 19:00   #573
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,995
Thanked: 4,055 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Actually, new tyres must go to the rear regardless of FWD, RWD or AWD. Less grippy front tyres result in understeer, while the same in the rear cause oversteer. Understeer is easier to deal with as a driver, than oversteer.
Then let's agree to disagree 😊.

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 19:21   #574
BHPian
 
lapis_lazuli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zilla Ghaziabad
Posts: 440
Thanked: 429 Times
Default Re: Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

Hello Mr.Kaile! I am looking around for a 2011/2012 1.8TSI manual. Of course, you would recommend a buy, but, what should I be looking out for? Apart from reasonable mileage on it, what should I be checking specifically or ask the accompanying mechanic to look for? Your thread and some other ownership reports, sort of convinced me it would be a good acquisition.
lapis_lazuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 21:38   #575
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,995
Thanked: 4,055 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Hello Mr.Kaile! I am looking around for a 2011/2012 1.8TSI manual. Of course, you would recommend a buy, but, what should I be looking out for? Apart from reasonable mileage on it, what should I be checking specifically or ask the accompanying mechanic to look for?
Go for a 2012 or later 1.8 Manual transmission TSI Elegance trim only. The DSG are notorious to fail in Indian conditions. Other then that look closely around the bonnet and underside for any respray work and look for clean shut lines on all doors, which will indicate whether the car has been in a accident or not. Check the service history thoroughly from the service station and it should have had the mandated oil/filter changes. Other then that see how the car idles to check the turbo. Ideally the car should settle into a nice smooth idle within 30 seconds from a cold start. This will indicate a trouble free turbo charger. Check both low/high mode air conditioning cooling and also clutch wear during the test drive. Also all electronics, fuel and temperature gauges, lights, infotainment system, Bluetooth etc. Check speaker output and clarity to ascertain any damage. Check all tyres and wheels. Rest you can always tell the cars condition by a nice walk around during daytime. Happy hunting.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 5th September 2017 at 21:39.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 22:20   #576
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,769
Thanked: 6,727 Times
Default Re: Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Other then that see how the car idles to check the turbo. Ideally the car should settle into a nice smooth idle within 30 seconds from a cold start. This will indicate a trouble free turbo charger.
How does the above tell you about the condition of the turbo? If I am not wrong, it would not even be making boost at idle, so how will that tell you anything about the turbo?
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2017, 22:26   #577
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,995
Thanked: 4,055 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
How does the above tell you about the condition of the turbo? If I am not wrong, it would not even be making boost at idle, so how will that tell you anything about the turbo?
AFAIK my Superb starts at a slightly erratic idle on cold starts, goes into a slight boost and then settles down to creamy smooth idle. Not touching the accelerator at that point of time gives the turbo time to be lubricated properly. This behavior I have ascertained, points to a perfectly working turbo (kindly read the importance of idling thread on TeamBhp) as also a normal MAF Sensor in the air box. Which needs to be further validated by a longish test drive in which you can really feel the turbo kick in while accelerating. These are two ways to check that the turbo is working properly.

Cheers....

Last edited by dkaile : 5th September 2017 at 22:55.
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017, 07:55   #578
BHPian
 
jalajprakash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Delhi
Posts: 179
Thanked: 452 Times
Default Re: Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Actually, new tyres must go to the rear regardless of FWD, RWD or AWD. Less grippy front tyres result in understeer, while the same in the rear cause oversteer. Understeer is easier to deal with as a driver, than oversteer.
Grippier/newer tires in the front allow for better braking and turning ability when considered for most Indian cars (FWD) and the use they're put through (aka no racetracks). If you have a high horsepower RWD car then rear tires might matter more since the rear for such cars has a tendency to come loose very easily.
jalajprakash is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017, 10:34   #579
Senior - BHPian
 
neoonwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,655
Thanked: 603 Times
Default Re: Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Hello Mr.Kaile! I am looking around for a 2011/2012 1.8TSI manual. Of course, you would recommend a buy, but, what should I be looking out for? Apart from reasonable mileage on it, what should I be checking specifically or ask the accompanying mechanic to look for? Your thread and some other ownership reports, sort of convinced me it would be a good acquisition.
I was in the same boat before settling for a pre-owned Jetta TDI. Things which you should look out in case of Superb tsi:

1. Water pump replacement - Seen quite a few with this done in their service history. Looks like a common issue across 1.8 tsi and 2.0 tdi (My Jetta also has this replaced).
2. ABS Sensor - Not too common but can burn a hole in your pocket
3. The headlight washer - I guess I read that you dont get even the metallic finished clip separately. If something goes wrong with this, you will have to replace whole headlight. Cost 35K
4. Rear seat armrest - Not common issue but if something goes wrong, another 30-40K expense.
5. Battery - Again seen that battery on Superb and Jetta needs replacement every 2-3 years. May be since these cars have a lot of electronics.

Anyways this is a list of the issues that I have seen across multiple Superbs while going through their service history. Superb Tsi MT is one of the best cars you can buy pre-owned. This beauty depreciates like its nobody's business.

The 2011-2013 cars are available in the range of 6 - 8L. Best deal that I could crack was Jan 2013 Tsi Elegance at 6.8L. Best of luck for your hunt.
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017, 10:48   #580
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,769
Thanked: 6,727 Times
Default Re: Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
AFAIK my Superb starts at a slightly erratic idle on cold starts, goes into a slight boost and then settles down to creamy smooth idle. Not touching the accelerator at that point of time gives the turbo time to be lubricated properly. This behavior I have ascertained, points to a perfectly working turbo (kindly read the importance of idling thread on TeamBhp) as also a normal MAF Sensor in the air box. Which needs to be further validated by a longish test drive in which you can really feel the turbo kick in while accelerating. These are two ways to check that the turbo is working properly.

Cheers....
FYI the idling for turbos is before shutting down the vehicle and not while starting. Also a strong or weak turbo has nothing to do with a cold start or idling as far as I know.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017, 11:09   #581
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,995
Thanked: 4,055 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
FYI the idling for turbos is before shutting down the vehicle and not while starting. Also a strong or weak turbo has nothing to do with a cold start or idling as far as I know.
I do not agree with that at all. The VW based engines need idling at cold start without touching the accelerator for at least 30 seconds. This keeps both the turbo and the MAF and other major components in good health. You can find hundreds of topics on the net on the exact same discussion of 'rough idle at cold start with VW engines' especially with people who do not follow the proper idling rule on startup. I follow this quite judiciously and maybe that is one of the reasons my car is absolutely trouble free even 5 years down the line.

Also someone mentioned in the previous post that the headlight washer covers are not available separately. Wrong! Mine got stolen (read previous posts) and I had mine easily replaced from the dealership for around 8-900 bucks. The water pump also goes bad prematurely on cars where people do not follow the idling rule properly, if all other maintenance is followed on schedule. I always rely (after having learnt many lessons in life) on my own experiences rather than what A, B or C mechanic/expert tells me. Maybe that is why all my cars and motorcycles are in impeccable condition even years down the line.

Cheers...

Last edited by dkaile : 6th September 2017 at 11:31.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017, 11:42   #582
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 893
Thanked: 1,015 Times
Default Re: Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

Completely agree on the idling part. For my 1.8 TSI Octy, from day 1, during cold start, the RPM is always above 1000 for about 15-20 seconds, and it feels a bit erratic where the car/engine shakes a little bit intermittently, more like a pulsating movement rather than vibration.

It settles down to smooth idle after that.

The above phenomenon gives me time to settle such as putting on my glares But I have never driven off without the completion of the above on its own.

In winters, it takes about 5-10 seconds longer. I find it normal because its there since day 1 of ownership. Although the pulsating movement started after a few months if I remember correctly.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017, 11:51   #583
Senior - BHPian
 
neoonwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,655
Thanked: 603 Times
Default Re: Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I do not agree with that at all. The VW based engines need idling at cold start without touching the accelerator for at least 30 seconds. This keeps both the turbo and the MAF and other major components in good health. You can find hundreds of topics on the net on the exact same discussion of 'rough idle at cold start with VW engines' especially with people who do not follow the proper idling rule on startup. I follow this quite judiciously and maybe that is one of the reasons my car is absolutely trouble free even 5 years down the line.

Also someone mentioned in the previous post that the headlight washer covers are not available separately. Wrong! Mine got stolen (read previous posts) and I had mine easily replaced from the dealership for around 8-900 bucks. The water pump also goes bad prematurely on cars where people do not follow the idling rule properly, if all other maintenance is followed on schedule. I always rely (after having learnt many lessons in life) on my own experiences rather than what A, B or C mechanic/expert tells me. Maybe that is why all my cars and motorcycles are in impeccable condition even years down the line.

Cheers...
Unfortunately, until you buy car, you will have to rely on other's experience with the car. It was me who said the water pump is a common issue and I am not saying I 'heard' it, rather came to know after I went through almost 6 Superb and Jetta service histories.

I even went through this very thread multiple times before narrowing down on Superb tsi MT as a candidate for pre-owned route. I thank you whole heatedly for maintaining this thread as it must have helped a lot of people like me. At times you have to rely on other's experiences positive or negative.
neoonwheels is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017, 12:00   #584
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,995
Thanked: 4,055 Times
Default Re: Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
At times you have to rely on other's experiences positive or negative.
I think you understood me wrong. I never said water pumps can't fail. In these VAG cars, these crucial components are quite sensitive to one's driving style. All I mentioned is that if people learn to maintain their cars properly and follow idling rule (especially with VAG vehicles), chances of break down reduces drastically, as in my case, where no crucial component has failed even years down the line, fingers crossed. Hope that clarifies. Enjoy your Jetta.

Cheers...
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2017, 12:06   #585
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,769
Thanked: 6,727 Times
Default Re: Skoda Superb - A tryst with destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Completely agree on the idling part. For my 1.8 TSI Octy, from day 1, during cold start, the RPM is always above 1000 for about 15-20 seconds, and it feels a bit erratic where the car/engine shakes a little bit intermittently, more like a pulsating movement rather than vibration.

It settles down to smooth idle after that.

The above phenomenon gives me time to settle such as putting on my glares But I have never driven off without the completion of the above on its own.
Yes on a cold start the RPMs are high to help the engine warm up quicker. And it is always best to wait until the cold start is finished before moving.

My point in this case is that all this has nothing to do with the turbo being healthy or not.

Judging the idle or cold start of a car in no way gives you an idea about the turbo condition.
Akshay1234 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacing a Superb - BMW GT, Mercedes C220 or 3rd-gen Skoda Superb? Epic Luxury, Imports & Niche 52 24th December 2016 22:41
Skoda unveils updated Superb and Superb Combi in Europe Abhinav667 The International Automotive Scene 59 15th January 2014 21:17
Destiny or fate or a coincidence? wanderernomad Travelogues 57 6th September 2008 00:44


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks