Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 7th May 2017, 23:36   #91
Senior - BHPian

Default Fault Code P0670 on Nissan Sunny Diesel

So I recently bought a Bluetooth OBD Scanner and plugged it into my car for checking error codes.

Surprisingly I got a P0670 error code on my 2012 Nissan Sunny Diesel. The car goes for regular service and nothing was reported by the service centre.

The car is showing no errors and car is driving fine.

I am not a very technical person so I am guessing the glow plugs / relay is faulty. Could it be something worse?

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0670

I am sending the car to the service center soon. Please advise so I don't get ripped off.
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017, 11:39   #92
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Sunny days are here again...Nissan Sunny Diesel XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
I am not a very technical person so I am guessing the glow plugs / relay is faulty. Could it be something worse?
You are correct, most likely a glow plug replacement should solve the problem. Glow plug shouldn't be that costly item.

Are you not seeing glow plug indicator light (coil kind of symbol) on dashboard after firing the engine? If not, why don't just clear/erase DTC error via your OBD scanner? It is likely that glow plug was replaced earlier, but error wasn't cleared. If that is not the case, error will pop-up again after few engine restarts & few Kms of driving.
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017, 12:30   #93
Team-BHP Support

Like Sukiwa mentioned, you can clear the error code and check if it is popping back? Sometimes some random error codes would come up, but ECU will keep a track of the same for a particular period of time before it goes into alert mode. So yes clearing the code and watching it for few days might be a good idea, if the code is recurring then that might be a sign that the glow plugs maybe on its way out.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2017, 14:36   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
You are correct, most likely a glow plug replacement should solve the problem. Glow plug shouldn't be that costly item.

Are you not seeing glow plug indicator light (coil kind of symbol) on dashboard after firing the engine? If not, why don't just clear/erase DTC error via your OBD scanner? It is likely that glow plug was replaced earlier, but error wasn't cleared. If that is not the case, error will pop-up again after few engine restarts & few Kms of driving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Like Sukiwa mentioned, you can clear the error code and check if it is popping back? Sometimes some random error codes would come up, but ECU will keep a track of the same for a particular period of time before it goes into alert mode. So yes clearing the code and watching it for few days might be a good idea, if the code is recurring then that might be a sign that the glow plugs maybe on its way out.
I cleared the code. Error comes back immediately.

Glow plugs have never been changed AFAIK.

The coil light glows and then goes off, which I think is normal?
Old 8th May 2017, 16:49   #95
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I cleared the code. Error comes back immediately.
====
The coil light glows and then goes off, which I think is normal?
So one of the coils seems to be kaput, yes light gowing after a while is normal. Other sunny owners can comment if the sequence is correct.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2017, 19:08   #96
BHPian

Hi,

The glow plug light on the dash lights up for about 3-7 seconds and then goes out, after which you are supposed to fire up the engine. If the light does not go off that means the coils are on their way out as many have suggested.
shady_lawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 02:24   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
So one of the coils seems to be kaput, yes light gowing after a while is normal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shady_lawyer View Post
Hi,

If the light does not go off that means the coils are on their way out as many have suggested.
In my case the light went out within a second or two.

Resolution:

Anyway, I sent the car to the ASS and they confirmed it was the glow plugs. They recommended changing all four. The quote was 7500+ to change the 4 glow plugs.

A quick google search told me they are overcharging and I told them to send the car back. They billed me a basic labour cost for the diagnosis.

I sourced the 4 glow plugs for Rs 1890 including VAT locally. Luckily I got the same brand the car had. The part is common in mirca, sunny, logan, terrano, scala, pulse so relatively easy to find.

Also had to buy a long socket head with atleast 2 inches depth (size 10 mm if anybody ever tries this). Cost Rs. 120.

Took about 20 mins to change all 4 glow plugs. Installation is simple and straightforward. If I do it again, it ll take me 10 mins.

Total Cost : Rs. 2010 for all 4 glow plugs

No errors on the ECU anymore.
AbhiJ is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 02:41   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In my case the light went out within a second or two.

Resolution:

Anyway, I sent the car to the ASS and they confirmed it was the glow plugs. They recommended changing all four. The quote was 7500+ to change the 4 glow plugs.

A quick google search told me they are overcharging and I told them to send the car back. They billed me a basic labour cost for the diagnosis.

I sourced the 4 glow plugs for Rs 1890 including VAT locally. Luckily I got the same brand the car had. The part is common in mirca, sunny, logan, terrano, scala, pulse so relatively easy to find.

Also had to buy a long socket head with atleast 2 inches depth (size 10 mm if anybody ever tries this). Cost Rs. 120.

Took about 20 mins to change all 4 glow plugs. Installation is simple and straightforward. If I do it again, it ll take me 10 mins.

Total Cost : Rs. 2010 for all 4 glow plugs

No errors on the ECU anymore.
That is weird. in my swift's case. only one had failed in 8.5 years. How did you get convinced all 4 were gone?

The mech did a physical test (some terminals of the plug were shorted to show a spark afaik) and that was that.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 12:06   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
That is weird. in my swift's case. only one had failed in 8.5 years. How did you get convinced all 4 were gone?
The service centre told me all 4 were gone. I could have checked each plug with a multi meter but decided to change all 4 for safety.