Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 10th April 2012, 00:52   #31
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: The Comparison - vRS vs Accord V6 vs 320D vs Punto MJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
This is the part I am not in agreement with entirely. Have taken corners at 190 in the 3 and found it to be very stable. But the minute one touches 210, the 3 isn't confidence inspiring anymore.
Well it is bound to get less stable at some point or the other. You can't expect it to be as stable as a 7 at 200+. I agree it does get less stable above 200 but certainly it still is confidence inspiring. Maybe its because of my lower profile tires compared to the CE and older highlines that the car feels fine even at 200+ speeds?
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 08:20   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Maybe its because of my lower profile tires compared to the CE and older highlines that the car feels fine even at 200+ speeds?
This is something that I tell quite a few people - in Indian conditions, going lower on the original profile (in cases such as BMW, Audi, Laura etc) actually reduces the high speed stability (it would improve cornering by reducing body roll though). I find that this is because on most Indian roads the less than perfect conditions induce the lower profile to transmit more vibrations to the car at high speeds whereas the original higher profile would absorb them giving you a better feel of stability at speed.

You will find the Laura vRS also stable at 200+ speeds - and if you change the Laura's tyres to 195/65/15 (as on the standard TSI) you will find the straight line high speed stability is even better although the cornering wouldn't be as good.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 09:58   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Great comparison Akshay. That’s really an interesting mix!

Not sure if it’s just me. Though the 3 is at the end of its life cycle, it actually looks the youngest of the lot. Even the vRS is no match to the 3’s youthful demeanor.
vb-san is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 10:09   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is something that I tell quite a few people - in Indian conditions, going lower on the original profile (in cases such as BMW, Audi, Laura etc) actually reduces the high speed stability (it would improve cornering by reducing body roll though). I find that this is because on most Indian roads the less than perfect conditions induce the lower profile to transmit more vibrations to the car at high speeds whereas the original higher profile would absorb them giving you a better feel of stability at speed.
Good point Veyron. You'll be glad to know that we have this covered in a separate thread already

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ead-first.html (Want to upsize your wheels with lower profile tyres? Read this first)
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 10:28   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

You will find the Laura vRS also stable at 200+ speeds - and if you change the Laura's tyres to 195/65/15 (as on the standard TSI) you will find the straight line high speed stability is even better although the cornering wouldn't be as good.
I do agree with what you say, but going lower upto a certain point will increase the high speed stability after which is may be affected on roads which are not very smooth. In my case the car came stock with 17" rims and 45 profile runflats unlike the CE which comes with 16" rims and 55 profiles. In fact the runflats are the worst part of this car, and after changing them to something with a softer sidewall the high speed stability will improve.

Again I'm not sure on which roads you have tried these things, but I would do it only on a road which is up to international standards in terms of surface, and there are enough of them nowadays.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 11:13   #36
BHPian

Quote:
I do agree with what you say, but going lower upto a certain point will increase the high speed stability after which is may be affected on roads which are not very smooth. In my case the car came stock with 17" rims and 45 profile runflats unlike the CE which comes with 16" rims and 55 profiles. In fact the runflats are the worst part of this car, and after changing them to something with a softer sidewall the high speed stability will improve.

Again I'm not sure on which roads you have tried these things, but I would do it only on a road which is up to international standards in terms of surface, and there are enough of them nowadays.
Thanks for the review Akshay!
I just completed a 1300 km round trip from Delhi to Udaipur in my 320d. Before you ask, still enjoying the car so haven't gotten around to writing and photographing the car

Couple of points I noted:

1. High speed stability is insane - had to specifically set an alarm at 160 to ensure I wasn't going overboard. Had ignored it on a couple of sections of the 6 lane Ajmer-Jaipur highway and was rewarded suitably
2. On corners, the car just wows you - you don't feel the need to slow down - again 10/10
3. On a certain stretch - Udaipur-Chittorgarh, the roads are not asphalt but concrete - the tire road noise is irritating and you actually feel the pinch of your tire's life eroding before your eyes (and ears).
4. Each time I went over a flyover or bridge, the one-two inch bumps made the car jump horribly - RFTs to blame I guess. Can't wait to get over the lot to change to better rubber.

Other than that, what a rewarding drive it was!
elantracrdi05 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2012, 11:30   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Good point Veyron. You'll be glad to know that we have this covered in a separate thread already

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ead-first.html (Want to upsize your wheels with lower profile tyres? Read this first)
Thanks for the info

Quote:
In fact the runflats are the worst part of this car, and after changing them to something with a softer sidewall the high speed stability will improve.
Sure.

Quote:
I'm not sure on which roads you have tried these things, but I would do it only on a road which is up to international standards in terms of surface
Thanks for the tip

Good comparo mate. Happy Motoring !

Last edited by VeyronSuperSprt : 10th April 2012 at 11:37.
VeyronSuperSprt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 15:35   #38
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: The Comparison - vRS vs Accord V6 vs 320D vs Punto MJD

Great thread and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. The pictures are absolutely great!

Talking of features in the 320d, I bumped into my sales rep last week at a pub and he said software upgrade for iDrive to put GPS feature in it is available at approx 55k. He said he would try to get some discount on that price. Ofcourse mine is the dynamic version 320d. Akshay, have you upgraded iDrive to include GPS feature or did yours come with it?
mrsherlock is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 16:29   #39
BHPian

Arrow Re: The Comparison - vRS vs Accord V6 vs 320D vs Punto MJD

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If I had a garage like yours, the Laura vRS would probably be the car I'd spend most of my time in. Manual + high-revving petrol engine + chuckable nature would do it for me.
Let me piggyback onto and take this opportunity to say thank you GTO; your testimonial is very reassuring indeed. Considering the RS is set to join my stable in a couple of days' time, your endorsement makes my chest fill with a hint of pride! Hey I'm not really the sucker I'm told I was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Me thinks a Superbike would complete the garage in a way no other vehicle could
Couldn't agree with you more. Although I'm not much of a biker, that Superbike will just lend Akshay's already accomplished garage a...er..."more-rounded look". Pun unintended, of course!

...and an opportunity for mortals like us to keep drooling!

Last edited by Omtoatom : 12th April 2012 at 16:30.
Omtoatom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 19:42   #40
BHPian

Reading the name of the thread on the home page I knew it was going to be akshay1234! Really good and truthful and down to earth reviews of the cars, across the segments. Finally your complete garage is discussed in detail! Good to see that punto is also included in the review.
LP640 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 20:09   #41
BHPian

WHAT A REVIEW !!

The beemer for me wins hands down . More than the badge and the quality etc, its the sheer driving pleasure which it has . It has a a reputation because it is that good .

You are living the dream man , and the pic of the punto by the wall and the sea next to it . Brilliant!!

P.S. What do you do for a living
Enigmatic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2012, 20:14   #42
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Brilliant writeup and comparison. Lovely pics too. Loved your Accord V6 review and you really got an envious garage. The Laura vRS, Accord V6, Punto MJD and BMW 320d are all brilliant cars with exceptional abilities in their segments.

What next? Hmm a Porsche Cayman to complete the garage?
//M is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2012, 10:47   #43
Senior - BHPian

That's some garage you have there man. Must be a real dilemma choosing which car to drive to the party

Good to know the Punto's ride is even better than the big boys.

By the way, it looks like you have a sea facing house. Any extra protection to prevent rusting ?
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2012, 14:47   #44
BHPian

wow! nice garage you got there mate! also didn't knew that vRS has better ride quality than the beemer! surprised there as almost all the reviews point out that its got a very hard ride! so now it mean that either vRS is not that bad after all OR beemer is even worse than the vRS!

somehow ride quality has always mattered and is a very important factor to me. I somehow get put off by cars which has hard ride. doesn't matter how sporty they are then. ride comfort is important always because of our indian roads. to me a sportier and fast car makes no sense if its ride is very hard! you can't enjoy that car for long term here in india. its much more stressful to drive such a car. a little slower and little less sporty car is fine if its ride is smooth and cushy! coz we live in india after all and we don't have roads even half as good as the ones abroad! I really envy those guys..

of course good handling is always a pleasure but not at the expense of the ride quality. balance is the key. good ride with nice handling is what we actually need in india. thats why I have always been attracted to mercs! (which supposedly has the best ride quality amongst the premium german cars)
magikrider is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2012, 17:48   #45
Team-BHP Support

Firstly thanks guys for the 5 star rating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsherlock View Post
Great thread and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. The pictures are absolutely great!

Talking of features in the 320d, I bumped into my sales rep last week at a pub and he said software upgrade for iDrive to put GPS feature in it is available at approx 55k. He said he would try to get some discount on that price. Ofcourse mine is the dynamic version 320d. Akshay, have you upgraded iDrive to include GPS feature or did yours come with it?
Still waiting for your 320d review. Mine didn't come with GPS, nor have I added it. That price sounds about right though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
WHAT A REVIEW !!

The beemer for me wins hands down . More than the badge and the quality etc, its the sheer driving pleasure which it has . It has a a reputation because it is that good .

You are living the dream man , and the pic of the punto by the wall and the sea next to it . Brilliant!!

P.S. What do you do for a living
Thanks buddy, good to know you liked the Bimmer. That pic was in my earlier residence. I'm still a student Lucky to have these cars at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Brilliant writeup and comparison. Lovely pics too. Loved your Accord V6 review and you really got an envious garage. The Laura vRS, Accord V6, Punto MJD and BMW 320d are all brilliant cars with exceptional abilities in their segments.

What next? Hmm a Porsche Cayman to complete the garage?
Thanks. A cayman? Hmmm I do want a sportscar, but I'll get one only when I buy it myself, possibly an M3 or something. Till then the next addition to the garage will probably be an SUV when the Accord is sold off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
That's some garage you have there man. Must be a real dilemma choosing which car to drive to the party

Good to know the Punto's ride is even better than the big boys.

By the way, it looks like you have a sea facing house. Any extra protection to prevent rusting ?
I used to live right next to the sea. Hadn't done any extra protection as such, but I don't see any rust on the Accord or the Punto. The Puntos ride is exceptional and is helped further by the fact that it has the smallest wheels with the highest profile tyres here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post
wow! nice garage you got there mate! also didn't knew that vRS has better ride quality than the beemer! surprised there as almost all the reviews point out that its got a very hard ride! so now it mean that either vRS is not that bad after all OR beemer is even worse than the vRS!

somehow ride quality has always mattered and is a very important factor to me. I somehow get put off by cars which has hard ride. doesn't matter how sporty they are then. ride comfort is important always because of our indian roads. to me a sportier and fast car makes no sense if its ride is very hard! you can't enjoy that car for long term here in india. its much more stressful to drive such a car. a little slower and little less sporty car is fine if its ride is smooth and cushy! coz we live in india after all and we don't have roads even half as good as the ones abroad! I really envy those guys..

of course good handling is always a pleasure but not at the expense of the ride quality. balance is the key. good ride with nice handling is what we actually need in india. thats why I have always been attracted to mercs! (which supposedly has the best ride quality amongst the premium german cars)
Thanks bud, well its always a compromise between better handling and better ride. Now you have to decide how much of a compromise you want to make for either. Ride does matter, and the BMW is not used everyday, if it was the runflats would be changed to tubeless first thing to improve the ride.

The vRS ride isn't as bad as its made out to be, yes it is stiff but not uncomfortably so. You do have to slow down for bumps.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote