Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 15th April 2012, 23:17   #16
BHPian

Smile Re: The Story of My T-Rex - Chevy Beat Petrol. K&N, LEDs, Wheels, ICE & more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
your description of the 'snarl' and 'rasp' are
making me want to go and get one for my Beat right away!

Can you please share some under hood pics of the filter install?
also what is the conical filter model you've installed and how much did the
whole install cost?
Firstly, I would definitely recommend the K&N. It definitely gives a much needed push to the car. And the sounds are absolutely addictive. I can't wait to get an FFE now.

Secondly, I got the filter along with the install done at Autopsyche, Gurgaon. Arush was very helpful. The entire filter + installation costed me about 5k.
And it's worth it. I do not recall the model number, but I shall try and find that out as well.

I shall put up the next batch of night pics + the filter pics together. Maybe in the next two or three days.
Do stay tuned for that.

Thanks for your kind words.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Short and Sweeeeet Road Trip on the T-Rex

I had a chance to finally let T-Rex stretch his legs on the highway today.
I can not say it enough. The K&N makes even the shortest of trips feel sso much more enjoyable.

The tires have gotten tested on the wet roads in Delhi. They are working very well. Moreover, over rough patches, the level of comfort is definitely way better than stock.
I was on an 8 km stretch of rough, patchy road leading from Sohna Road on the outskirts of Gurgaon leading up to a lake. And the car felt very comfortable and composed at speeds between 40 to 60 kmph.

Basically, it was a round trip of about 140 odd kms. The idea was to make use of the good whether conditions here, along with a couple of friends.
And being an Ad-Hoc trip , the planning wasn't very thorough.
We needed to go to Sultanpur Lake, but instead took the road heading of the Sohna Road after Bhosandi, leading to a lake called "Damdama Lake".
We reached much later than expected, and literally left after 15 minutes!
So it was mostly driving, with literally no destination. At least none which was important!

A fun day, with a fun car.

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam

PS Finally got to see a decent figure on the trip meter. Approximate mileage of 15 kmpl with heavy use of the right foot, speed breakers littered Sohna Road, mixed with only about 20 or 30 kms driving on empty and proper stretches of the highway.
I am a happy man.

PPS Looking for nearby destinations to Delhi, to go for an intra day or a two day road trip.

Last edited by GTO : 17th April 2012 at 14:29. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted
samarth.bhatia is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2012, 20:57   #17
BHPian

Default Re: The Story of My T-Rex - Chevy Beat Petrol. K&N, LEDs, Wheels, ICE & more

Hi Guys,

I could use some advice.
I need to go in for an FFE, as mentioned before.

Now here are the options:

1. Autopsyphe: Arush is a nice enough guy. His works seems decent. Not the best I've seen though. For example, I had an FFE on my M800 while I was in Mumbai. That and the K&N conical were manufactured and fitted at Automech. Their work was good. They fit the conical filter in a better manner. But the joints in the FFE developed leaks in a couple of months. That was no good. Still, overall was OK.

2. Performance Zone, Rohini: Yatharth seems like anice guy again. Now, Rohini is far away. Plus I have no real proof of how good or bad their work is.
Although Yatharth happened to mention that the FFE they fit would be manufactured by the same factory that'll also do the work for Autopsyche. And the basic design and layout would be the same. Again, I'm surprised by this, because I remember Vivek (Automech, Mumbai) telling me the FFE is designed completely for all the cars. Basically once they design one for a Beat, they can manufacture multiple pieces of the same. And since Automech hasn't designed one for the Beat yet, they can't supply me one in Delhi.

3. Speedsport, Chattarpur: Met Phil recently. Their workshop is again not that close. But I did happen to read a thread on an FFE on a Swift fitted by them. And I've seen some of their work. So the credibility is much higher.

Prices quoted by these three are pretty much the same. Around the 15k mark for an MS FFE.

My questions on this are:

1. Which modification workshop should I decide on?
2. Should I consider a full SS FFE?
3. Is there any chance at all of my warranty not getting void by this? (Although I believe it'll get void due to the extra wide tyres anyway )
4. I remember that the full FFE along with K&N conical (fitting included) costed me something like 11k from Automech in Feb 2011. Are these guys quoting too high a price?

Any help on these would be highly appreciated.

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam

Last edited by samarth.bhatia : 16th April 2012 at 21:00. Reason: Entered info on Automech
samarth.bhatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2012, 15:57   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: The Story of My T-Rex - Chevy Beat Petrol. K&N, LEDs, Wheels, ICE & more

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarth.bhatia View Post
Now here are the options
Go ahead with Speedsport since you are comfortable with them. They do build some nice cars, and appear to know what they are doing.

Quote:
Should I consider a full SS FFE?
Absolutely, that's what I did with the Civic & the City Vtec. If you intend to hold on to your car for long, get SS only.

Quote:
3. Is there any chance at all of my warranty not getting void by this?
Your engine warranty is gone with a free-flow. Unless, of course, you have a great service advisor.

Do share a video of the exhaust note with us once done
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 21:38   #19
BHPian

Cool Re: The Story of My T-Rex - Chevy Beat Petrol. K&N, LEDs, Wheels, ICE & more

Finally, I have some night pics!

Please note that they are from a phone cam. Still waiting for the battery of Dad's Camera to come.

Without further ado:

1. Parking Lights from the front:

Name:  parking on  1.jpg
Views: 3666
Size:  36.7 KB

2. Another view of the parking lights:

Name:  parking on  2.jpg
Views: 3713
Size:  32.7 KB

3. Front with Parking + DRLs ON:

Name:  front side view with all lights.jpg
Views: 3971
Size:  25.0 KB
Name:  Front with all lights on.jpg
Views: 4291
Size:  22.3 KB

4. Tail Lamps:

Name:  Back side.jpg
Views: 3685
Size:  28.5 KB

5. Let's get the boot open:

Name:  Back lights with boot lights.jpg
Views: 3778
Size:  23.7 KB

A closer look at the boot:

Name:  Boot lights.jpg
Views: 3669
Size:  17.2 KB

6. Let's take a look at the cockpit:

Name:  The Dash.jpg
Views: 3729
Size:  14.1 KB
[ATTACH]Name:  HL Levelling.jpg
Views: 3635
Size:  6.5 KB[/ATTACH]

View from inside with DRLs + Parking Lights ON
Name:  DRL from inside.jpg
Views: 3694
Size:  19.2 KB

View from inside with DRLs + Parking Lights + Head Lights ON
Name:  HL from inside.jpg
Views: 3708
Size:  24.0 KB

Coming up next:
1. Smaller yet significant Details
2. Better pictures: Day and Night

BTW, the car has completed 17,000 kms.

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
Attached Images

Last edited by samarth.bhatia : 23rd April 2012 at 21:40.
samarth.bhatia is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 21:46   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Finally, I have some night pics!
Nice pics!!
Maybe I missed this but, what bulbs are you using for the headlamps??

Also, as GTO mentioned, a video with the exhaust note would be just awesome!
superutp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2012, 21:52   #21
BHPian

Smile Re: The Story of My T-Rex - Chevy Beat Petrol. K&N, LEDs, Wheels, ICE & more

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Nice pics!!
Maybe I missed this but, what bulbs are you using for the headlamps??

Also, as GTO mentioned, a video with the exhaust note would be just awesome!

Currently I have Ollo HID kit installed.
FYI: I have had to get one of the Ballasts, and the complete wiring harness changed once under warranty. Plus one of the HL leveling motors has conked off. So if I use the leveling switch, only one Head light goes up and down.

Still, it gives me decent lighting. Need to get the focus adjusted.
Might go in for projectors. Let's see.

And the video will be uploaded once I get the FFE installed..
Will definitely keep this thread updated for that.

Cheers.
Sam
samarth.bhatia is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 11:47   #22
BHPian

Quote:

Currently I have Ollo HID kit installed.
FYI: I have had to get one of the Ballasts, and the complete wiring harness changed once under warranty. Plus one of the HL leveling motors has conked off. So if I use the leveling switch, only one Head light goes up and down.

Still, it gives me decent lighting. Need to get the focus adjusted.
Might go in for projectors. Let's see.

And the video will be uploaded once I get the FFE installed..
Will definitely keep this thread updated for that.

Cheers.
Sam
Aha, no wonder the higher colour temperature of the headlight beams!

Please do get projectors, the Beats nice round headlamps would suit projectors! There is another TBHPian by the handle 'sajjt' who is also in the process of getting projectors on his Beat.

BTW, does installing just a K&N filter (your current setup) void warranty? Could use more power wherever I can get some

P:S I envy the night time setup of your Beat more than you envy mine
superutp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 12:41   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
Aha, no wonder the higher colour temperature of the headlight beams!

Please do get projectors, the Beats nice round headlamps would suit projectors! There is another TBHPian by the handle 'sajjt' who is also in the process of getting projectors on his Beat.

BTW, does installing just a K&N filter (your current setup) void warranty? Could use more power wherever I can get some
Please do send me the link to sajjt's thread if possible. Would save me some extra effort
On my priority list now, there're a couple of things:

1. Free flow exhaust. I am thinking of going in for SS. And (like you say) Vit M is needed! (Close to 25k, which is shocking!)

2. Projectors: IF need be. Will be getting the focus adjusted and see where that leads me. Later on, once vit M comes in, will go in for projectors.
Although, I do think that, god forbid, if there's ever an accident where the car's front gets hit, I'll losing out on something like 30k. It's too scary a thought for the time being!

On the K&N and warranty front, I think the tires are gonna take care of voiding the warranty. The K&N should not really be an issue.
Plus my car is about 2 years old already. It's a three year warranty. By the time I take it in for 20k service, it'll be another 1 or 2 months.

Anyway I would definitely recommend the K&N. Although, as I read in your ownership thread, you need better low end power. The K&N has helped more in the medium to high range of RPMs.
For better low end, you would need to work on the exhaust (maybe a Cat Back or an FFE, if you prefer). Along with the ECU updation (as someone mentioned on your thread). Even I am yet to get the ECU update thingy done.

And thank you for your envy on the night look !

Cheers bro.
Sam

Last edited by samarth.bhatia : 24th April 2012 at 12:44.
Old 24th April 2012, 21:43   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Please do send me the link to sajjt's thread if possible. Would save me some extra effort
On my priority list now, there're a couple of things:

1. Free flow exhaust. I am thinking of going in for SS. And (like you say) Vit M is needed! (Close to 25k, which is shocking!)

2. Projectors: IF need be. Will be getting the focus adjusted and see where that leads me. Later on, once vit M comes in, will go in for projectors.

On the K&N and warranty front, I think the tires are gonna take care of voiding the warranty. The K&N should not really be an issue.
Plus my car is about 2 years old already. It's a three year warranty. By the time I take it in for 20k service, it'll be another 1 or 2 months.

Anyway I would definitely recommend the K&N. Although, as I read in your ownership thread, you need better low end power. The K&N has helped more in the medium to high range of RPMs.
Sajjt doesnt have a thread on it yet because he hasn't done it yet (I think). You could contact him for a heads up.

I dont think Ill be going for full FFE and the like, but a K&N is something Ill definitely consider, I could do with more power wherever and whichever RPM I can get it in. Only if Vitamin M grew on trees.

Waiting for more serious mods from your side
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2012, 22:38   #25
BHPian

Hey Samarth, congrats on the little green devil! The beat looks best in this colour IMO.
Do get that FFE soon and post a video. Among your choices, I have heard more positive things about Speedsport. Also, how is the Conical taking the dust of delhi? If it's doing quite well, I don't think you should invest in a CAI. You won't see much of a difference between them. In fact, a poorly done CAI will ruin your engine response.
All the best!
niranjanrvce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 11:03   #26
Senior - BHPian

Have you installed the boot lamp or was it already present? If you have installed, can you tell how?
ani_meher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 18:11   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
If it's doing quite well, I don't think you should invest in a CAI. You won't see much of a difference between them. In fact, a poorly done CAI will ruin your engine response.
All the best!
Hi Niranjan,

Thanks for the wishes!
The response of the K&N has been the same since Feb. Although I would probably have to get it serviced as Delhi is awefully dusty. More so in the summers!
As far as CAI is concerned, I have been advised by Phil (at Speedsport) against it. So I'm not gonna think of it for the time being.
Will go in for the FFE as soon as I arrange for Vit-M .

Cheers!
Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Have you installed the boot lamp or was it already present? If you have installed, can you tell how?
Hi ani_meher,

I have installed LED strips in the boot. The boot light is not standard in the LS variant. It is standard in the LT variant.
I have connected it to the parking lights. Will write more and update with a picture soon.

Thanks.
Sam
Old 11th May 2012, 22:27   #28
BHPian

Samarth , can u mention which K&N Filter you have used in the car ? i meant the model.Was there any complicationon installing the same?
kphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2012, 00:18   #29
BHPian

I have always been a fan of Beat - its just looks like a new generation car compared to the competition in that segment. I really like your mods and the way you have done her by "not over doing" has definitely given your car a very much masculine character and it looks uber cool as well.
scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2012, 13:08   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kphilip View Post
Samarth , can u mention which K&N Filter you have used in the car ? i meant the model.Was there any complicationon installing the same?
+1 to this request. I have tried searching for a K&N filter for the Beat but noone has it. Are you using a generic filter?
superutp is offline   Reply With Quote