Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 3rd May 2012, 23:48   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
Even the 90/100W are illegal, as are HIDs in the main or dip beams. Only the fogs allow you to play. This is what I am envisaging, after the warranty is over in the end of this month. I am busy till end of July so may take it up then. Importing from the US is not on due to the shipment costs. Best suggestion so far is to go for second hand ballasts (preferably 50W) from HID cars, and then add the lamps.
Sounds like an interesting exercise. Do update us when you get around to doing this.

Regarding the 90/100s being illegal - well, yes they are. But properly adjusted (read: fitted) 90/100 bulbs in a reflector setup wouldn't really hurt anyone. If anything, they may help prevent accidents on poorly lit roads. A lot of the (traffic) laws in our country would make more sense if the infrastructure backed them up like in developed countries. HIDs in reflector setups are a big no-no for me. The two just aren't designed to be compatible... huge beam scatter - really tough on oncoming traffic. If you use the projectors like you mentioned, they're great.

From what I've read so far, a 90/100 setup isn't doable on a Civic. Maybe just better bulbs like Silverstar Ultra or Xtreme Power, or a 60/100 jugaad like what Jatin has done (and done well)
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012, 00:07   #32
BHPian

Default Re: A New (Old!) Beginning: Honda Civic S-MT

@razor

Just get the same setup done on your civic like what i have on my car.

You wont be disapointed and with this setup i can make BEST buses and also some Fortuners dip there Hi-Beams.

The 100w bulbs are really bright and civics reflecters are simply too good
even the 60w bulb which i use in low beam lits a completely dark road superbly and that also wen fogs are off. Once fogs are On the road is even more better covered.

Sliverstar or Xtreme power both are direct replacements you will be happy for a while but after some time you will again feel to upgrade,

I will say like this.
Stock bulbs= Cheapest engine oil you can buy (which is useless)
Silverstras or Xtreme vission= Good quality Mineral Oil (doable for a while)
60/100 setup and the 60w bulb being of xtreme vission= OWS or Shell helix Ultra(SUPERB)

Cost wise
silverstars or Xterme vission will cost you some 450-500rs per bulb and you will need four bulbs that equates to 2k
The setup which i did costed 2800rs and the extra 800rs is simply worth it.

My Thoughts.
jatinpatel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012, 08:47   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

@razor4077 & @jatinpatel; Since the Civic is a four lamp setup, you can change either the low or high pairs separately. We agree both HID and 90/100W are illegal. What razor is suggesting that with a well adjusted lamp you can get away with 90/100W.

My suggestion is to go for good 4000/4300K HIDs from Philips, Osram or some other major brand (I will prefer the low beam). The colour temperature is the same as halogens so you should be able to get away with these (no bigger risk than 90/100W). Then what you gain is a higher output, and at the same time due to the slightly different light source placement and size, you will still get a degree of diffuse lighting outside the 'pattern'.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 16:52   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Razor. Dont know how I missed this thread. Any mods planned? Civic is one heck of a car with lots of mod options available in the market. Lets meet sometime or plan for another TBhp meet now that you are here.
BlackPearl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 16:21   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackPearl View Post
Congrats Razor. Dont know how I missed this thread. Any mods planned? Civic is one heck of a car with lots of mod options available in the market. Lets meet sometime or plan for another TBhp meet now that you are here.
Thanks Sumitro! No mods planned, will keep this one stock. At most, change the tyres to 205s down the line. And yes, we need to catch up... been a long time!

Some updates:
- Got the new number plates fitted (HSRP lookalikes). Looking pretty neat, will post pics over the weekend.
- FE is around 10.4 kmpl which is good enough for me, especially since I do a lot of the driving in bumper to bumper conditions on terrible roads (read: crawling speeds, low gears)
- The bad roads get to me sometimes. There is this one road I am forced to take everyday which is in absolute shambles. Those familiar with Kolkata would know the EM Bypass. Terrible, terrible road, and everyday I find myself gritting my teeth while navigating the bumps, and apologizing profusely to the Civic! I'll admit I've even wondered at times whether I should have bought an SUV instead - would have been more suited to the "roads" here.
- But, all doubts are put to rest when I hit a decent patch of road (there are some in Kolkata!). The car simply glides... that's the best description for it. There's no sudden surge or pull like in the turbo diesels or the TSIs... but a nice clean, linear acceleration which leaves you with a smile on your face. There's a slight hesitation around the 2000 rpm mark, after which it takes off. Redlined a couple of times, which was fun
- In slow traffic, the car can get a little "jerky" unless you engage the clutch or downshift. This is unlike the Elantra crdi I drove before this, which would rumble along merrily in third gear in traffic with practically no throttle input. I guess that's a habit thing.
- Car's not scraped anything, even with 5 people on board
- Wheel balancing and alignment are pending. Car's pulling slightly to the left after Honda rotated the tyres during servicing.
Old 6th October 2014, 08:48   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Thanks Sumitro! No mods planned, will keep this one stock. At most, change the tyres to 205s down the line. And yes, we need to catch up... been a long time!
Hi Razor,

Any updates? Can you please post some current pics of the car?

Saw the ad in the classifieds, I might be interested.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 14:56   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
- But, all doubts are put to rest when I hit a decent patch of road (there are some in Kolkata!). The car simply glides... that's the best description for it. There's no sudden surge or pull like in the turbo diesels or the TSIs... but a nice clean, linear acceleration which leaves you with a smile on your face. There's a slight hesitation around the 2000 rpm mark, after which it takes off. Redlined a couple of times, which was fun
A little late in the day, but is this a normal civic trait..the hesitation that you talk of around the 2k rpm mark?Or are you referring to the general sluggishness in the low rpms that the civic exhibits?
octane1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2015, 17:57   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi Razor,

Any updates? Can you please post some current pics of the car?

Saw the ad in the classifieds, I might be interested.
Hi Dhanush, sorry for the late reply. Just saw your post. The car was sold a few months back to another bhpian. Car's doing well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
A little late in the day, but is this a normal civic trait..the hesitation that you talk of around the 2k rpm mark?Or are you referring to the general sluggishness in the low rpms that the civic exhibits?
The general weak low end in civics, nothing out of the ordinary. Once you know how to handle it, it's rarely an issue.