Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 19th April 2012, 12:06   #16
BHPian

Default Re: 2012 White Fortuner

Hello Abhayshanu,
Have you noticed that the sound quality of ICE is 'comparatively' way better if you listen to CD/DVD and is pathetic if you listen to Radio!!! I wonder what's the cause... is it printed antenna or what???
Devrishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 15:35   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devrishi
Hello Abhayshanu,
Have you noticed that the sound quality of ICE is 'comparatively' way better if you listen to CD/DVD and is pathetic if you listen to Radio!!! I wonder what's the cause... is it printed antenna or what???
That is in all HUs I have used. The reason is that the sound signal(calling it that for explanation) is weaker with radio or even AUX cable and also with Bluetooth. It's stronger with USB and CD/DVD that's why you get a slightly higher and clearer sound at the same volume level.
abhayshanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 16:30   #18
BHPian

I don't understand. In my Honda Jazz i get a very crisp & clear voice from Radio as well as CD however in a 24 Lac vehicle Radio quality is pathetic however CD/DVD sound quality is good...

Can anyone point out the reason and it's remedy???
Devrishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 19:32   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devrishi
I don't understand. In my Honda Jazz i get a very crisp & clear voice from Radio as well as CD however in a 24 Lac vehicle Radio quality is pathetic however CD/DVD sound quality is good...

Can anyone point out the reason and it's remedy???
If you really NEED better sound quality from radio, then you can attach a aftermarket antenna.
I wouldnt suggest as the radio quality is good enough, if all you want to hear is people talking, if your music is dependent on radio then you can go for it.
abhayshanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 21:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
That is in all HUs I have used. The reason is that the sound signal(calling it that for explanation) is weaker with radio or even AUX cable and also with Bluetooth. It's stronger with USB and CD/DVD that's why you get a slightly higher and clearer sound at the same volume level.
Abhayshanu - Please play a DVD and let me know if the surround effect / Dolby Effect is evident. There is Dolby decoder and wanted to know how good is that.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 00:58   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
While I have driven the Fortuner at higher speeds, that was only when I had sufficient comfort with the vehicle's dynamics/ characteristics and on roads that have 180 degree clear line of sight. The Fortuner can go over road aberrations at high speeds easily. What it can't do is maneuver at high speed when a dog/cow/human suddenly comes onto the highway, or a trucker suddenly moves in front of you without signalling when you are driving 50-100kmph faster than him. Or take a turn at low slung sedan speeds.

If you are concerned about getting overtaken/races, you should not be even looking at tall SUVs.
While I agree with you on small aberrations, I however feel that even if the road has small aberrations , it can unsettle a body on frame SUV at speeds in excess of 100kmph( for a fortuner, 80kmph in the case of a Safari) . At highspeeds, if the aberrations are a bit bigger sized, the fortuner loses its composure very easily because of high center of gravity.

My experience is based on the Safari I own as well as a pre facelift fortuner that I have driven a lot on highways

Note that by aberrations, I do not mean the aberrations as seen on the Pune - Mumbai expressway made with cement. By aberrations, I mean road undulations due to bad laying of road.

Last edited by himavanth_m : 20th April 2012 at 00:59.
himavanth_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 10:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devrishi View Post
Have you noticed that the sound quality of ICE is 'comparatively' way better if you listen to CD/DVD and is pathetic if you listen to Radio!!!
No so in my Civic, the sound quality is almost the same if i play through Bluetooth, USB or Radio. This may mean the signal from Antenna is weaker and hence should be looked into. The Antenna on Civic is also printed hence i do not think this its a problem with printed antenna.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 17:24   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Just so you know, there was a Fortuner Accident on NICE road Bangalore. The car belonged to Nandi Toyota and it seems when the accident happened the car was doing speeds in excess of 140, at that speed no SUV will like to be twitched.
The Nandi Toyota's fortuner had this accident due to some novice who was testing the body roll on this fortuner which had TEIN suspensions installed. Its normal for the engineers to sell their product by enhancing its performance figures and they must have told this person it reduces the body roll even at high speeds. Apparently, he attempted to make some maneuver at 140Kph, which resulted in the Fortuner toppling into a trench.

If driven well and careful, the Fortuner can easily do 150kph; I'd personally done 175kph on a straight stretch. The only two conditions that must be satisfied is that the road should be straight and nobody/nothing crossing and NO crazy stunts performed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
FM reception would be dull/weak because the sampling is done at 96kbps while most of your mp3s are 320kbps. The more the sampling rate better is the quality, hence the perception of better sound at the same volume. This would be true for all audio/hi-fi systems. During the early days, our MP3s were just 96/128kbps so we did not feel much of a difference.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 30th May 2012 at 04:09. Reason: Please read the note in your post,thanks
nitinbose is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 18:04   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
FM reception would be dull/weak because the sampling is done at 96kbps while most of your mp3s are 320kbps. The more the sampling rate better is the quality, hence the perception of better sound at the same volume. This would be true for all audio/hi-fi systems. During the early days, our MP3s were just 96/128kbps so we did not feel much of a difference.
The Sampling rate for radio has nothing much to do with the intensity of a source signal Just the eventually tonal quality of the Broadcast. Radio these days is close enough to regular Mp3 music playback. (Most Audio broadcasted is 44.1 kHz-48 kHz 16 Bit Stereo wave files which further run through a DSP before being finally broadcast.)

A radio signal Will inherently be "colder" than a direct compared source such as USB/ CD. Even your Aux input level is dependant on the pre-amp of the audio device used through the aux. Getting an externally Mounted antenna should help.

Hope this helps.
lilMonSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 10:08   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
What it can't do is maneuver at high speed when a dog/cow/human suddenly comes onto the highway, or a trucker suddenly moves in front of you without signalling when you are driving 50-100kmph faster than him.
Can you test drive Nandi toyota fortuner with tein suspension(height adjustable) and give us a small review compared to you stock fortuner.
Yes, read about the fortuner with tein suspension incident but no body know what was the GC while testing at that time.
While testing at high speeds if we make the GC lowest and give it a try?.
You inputs will be valuable as you already own one and we know you .
brraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 10:15   #26
BHPian

@abhayshanu,

Congratulations on the acquisition. I absolutely admire the stance of a Fortuner! It is a beast.

Drive safe. Wish you long term happiness with your ride.
SupratikDebnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 10:58   #27
BHPian

Question Re: 2012 White Fortuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Fortuner's stance is narrow & wide too (a HUGE disadvantage).
Please explain. Narrow & wide ? How both?
I did not get it.
Vasuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 11:17   #28
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Please explain. Narrow & wide ? How both?
I did not get it.
It is a typo.

What GTO must have meant is that the Fortuner's stance is Narrow & Tall. This is a huge disadvantage as the CG of the Fortuner is higher, causing the SUV to topple easily (when compared to a vehicle with lower CG).
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2012, 13:37   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hi Abhayshanu,
Congratulations on a great acquisition ! Another... great white I'd say.
I am sure some of the earlier observations you had made about the Fortuner can be revisited and let us have your fresh observations either now or in a few days time after some more days/KMs of usage. Would be interesting to read that review.
Good luck.
Guderian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 04:43   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Abhayshanu,
Congratulations on a great acquisition ! Another... great white I'd say.
I am sure some of the earlier observations you had made about the Fortuner can be revisited and let us have your fresh observations either now or in a few days time after some more days/KMs of usage. Would be interesting to read that review.
Good luck.
I rarely get to drive the Fortuner, drive my Octavia alot more and day by day I am more concrete on my original views. Now i really do feel that 25L was not worth for this car. Its extremely overpriced and that's comparing it to a Skoda. Toyotas are suppose to be low to buy and low to maintain, but this is just too much. IF the engine was bigger or it had alot more features and it could have seemed worth to me.

I still say that it eats up potholes like a charm even at high speeds but yes there is a significant body roll and all speeds. The car is used by me for ONLY off road purposes and that too I havn't had time for. Its a 'Prestigious' car so when ever we have guests they get to ride in this and I have to drive them.

Anyways, I MIGHT have prefered the Santa Fe IF it wasn't a Hyundai. I still state that this is the best SUV under 25L. But then it doesn't have great competition.
abhayshanu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote