Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2012, 15:03   #31
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,272
Thanked: 1,236 Times
Default Re: Petrol Battle Royale: Figo vs Swift vs Jazz vs Brio vs i20 vs Liva vs Polo vs Pun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
My Figo's lowest mileage with AC has been 10kpl. On average, it is giving 11-12kpl with full AC in Delhi's red-lights infested slow traffic. Still don't know about mileage with AC on highways since I've been on highway in Figo only twice and I forgot to calculate mileage as I was too busy adoring the mountains
I get the same F.E. in Hyd city driving on my Fiesta 1.6 Duratec Sigma. On highways the highest I got was a little below 17 (without AC and driving between 80 to 100) and the lowest was 12.4, when speeds were between 120 to 170. I guess Figo should give you better F.E.

By the way, I liked your comparo. I agree that the K12 engine in the Swift lacks low end grunt. I"ve driven by cousin's Ritz zxi and have the same impression. But at revvs over 2000, it pulls neatly all the way till past 4000 rpm. It is also more refined at high revvs than most cars in the segment.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 19:34   #32
BHPian
 
arindambasu13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 419
Thanked: 108 Times
Default Re: Petrol Battle Royale: Figo vs Swift vs Jazz vs Brio vs i20 vs Liva vs Polo vs Pun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post

You're perhaps used to the older K12 engine. Try the new K12 engine in jam-packed traffic. It's really annoying drive at low RPM. And it takes really long time to rev to higher RPM. I'm sorry if my thread looks like Swift bashing. I tried my best to be fair to all.
This is merely a question of getting used to a car's characteristics. Ive owned the 2012 K12 for about six months now, and yes, the initial acceleration is a trifle weaker than the older Swift. However, taking time to rev to higher RPMs is not correct at all, in fact its one of those engines which just loves to rev fast and hard. Take it beyond 1500 RPM, and its pulls cleanly all the way to redline. Post 2000 RPM, power flows seamlessly and pretty ferociously. In fact, the midrange of the Swift awesome. The lower end could definitely have been better though.

I run 195 15 inchers, and the handling is absolutely sublime, especially at higher speeds. Rock stable, and communicative through the steering and the seat.

Here's the beast!
Attached Thumbnails
Petrol Battle Royale: Figo vs Swift vs Jazz vs Brio vs i20 vs Liva vs Polo vs Punto-pic-5.jpg  


Last edited by arindambasu13 : 2nd July 2012 at 19:42.
arindambasu13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 14:33   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
9thsphinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,042
Thanked: 441 Times
Default Re: Petrol Battle Royale: Figo vs Swift vs Jazz vs Brio vs i20 vs Liva vs Polo vs Pun

@DevilsCry : If one were to select a car, meant for the ladies in the house, to be used for 90% city driving, 10% highway, what would you recommend out of the ones that you have compared? Let me point out that there's no fixed budget as such, and it'll strictly be a soccer-mom car.
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 14:39   #34
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 245
Thanked: 76 Times
Default Re: Petrol Battle Royale: Figo vs Swift vs Jazz vs Brio vs i20 vs Liva vs Polo vs Pun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
@DevilsCry : If one were to select a car, meant for the ladies in the house, to be used for 90% city driving, 10% highway, what would you recommend out of the ones that you have compared? Let me point out that there's no fixed budget as such, and it'll strictly be a soccer-mom car.
For a Petrol car, the choice is simple. Go for any Honda. The i-vtec is one of the best petrol engines in the world today. Brio would be ideal for the ladies and word's that Brio AT will release by Diwali. You can consider that. Jazz is good as well and if you see the Jazz then you probably will not consider the Brio after that believe me!!

My order of preference would be(for ladies) Brio > Jazz > Swift > i20. I wouldnt consider the remaining for a petrol version.

If Diesel then Punto > Swift > Polo > i20(not that convinced by CRDI) > Figo(No rear Power windows plus dated looks, totally subjective though) > Liva
shadows123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 14:39   #35
BHPian
 
DevilsCry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 557
Thanked: 503 Times
Default Re: Petrol Battle Royale: Figo vs Swift vs Jazz vs Brio vs i20 vs Liva vs Polo vs Pun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
If one were to select a car, meant for the ladies in the house, to be used for 90% city driving, 10% highway, what would you recommend out of the ones that you have compared? Let me point out that there's no fixed budget as such, and it'll strictly be a soccer-mom car.
You already own the two best cars which I would have recommended to a lady- Honda Jazz and Hyundai Santro Xing.

Now I would recommend Honda Brio for the ladies in your home
DevilsCry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 14:52   #36
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,163
Thanked: 3,759 Times
Default Re: Petrol Battle Royale: Figo vs Swift vs Jazz vs Brio vs i20 vs Liva vs Polo vs Pun

I agree with the two above. that the Brio AT will be the best option. I saw on one site that it is expected in October, according to motorbeam

http://networkedblogs.com/BPh9d
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 14:58   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
9thsphinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,042
Thanked: 441 Times
Default Re: Petrol Battle Royale: Figo vs Swift vs Jazz vs Brio vs i20 vs Liva vs Polo vs Pun

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadows123 View Post
For a Petrol car, the choice is simple. Go for any Honda. The i-vtec is one of the best petrol engines in the world today. Brio would be ideal for the ladies and word's that Brio AT will release by Diwali. You can consider that. Jazz is good as well and if you see the Jazz then you probably will not consider the Brio after that believe me!!

My order of preference would be(for ladies) Brio > Jazz > Swift > i20. I wouldnt consider the remaining for a petrol version.

If Diesel then Punto > Swift > Polo > i20(not that convinced by CRDI) > Figo(No rear Power windows plus dated looks, totally subjective though) > Liva
Already have the Jazz at home. So that's ruled out. Diesel's are out too. We're a petrolhead family! I think I could do Brio since we're ardent Honda fans. I absolutely love that 1.2 iVtec engine, but the looks are what puts me off, specially the back of that little car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
You already own the two best cars which I would have recommended to a lady- Honda Jazz and Hyundai Santro Xing.

Now I would recommend Honda Brio for the ladies in your home
You can't be more right! And they seem to looove the Brio! The Santro is our workhorse and the Jazz is fitted with a cold air intake which makes too much "noise" according to them

They need a "new" car. Something that's nice and dedicated only to them.

BTW, I was also thinking of adding in the i20 Asta to the equation. You think comparing the i20 to the Brio is fair?
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 15:04   #38
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 245
Thanked: 76 Times
Default Re: Petrol Battle Royale: Figo vs Swift vs Jazz vs Brio vs i20 vs Liva vs Polo vs Pun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Already have the Jazz at home. So that's ruled out. Diesel's are out too. We're a petrolhead family! I think I could do Brio since we're ardent Honda fans. I absolutely love that 1.2 iVtec engine, but the looks are what puts me off, specially the back of that little car



You can't be more right! And they seem to looove the Brio! The Santro is our workhorse and the Jazz is fitted with a cold air intake which makes too much "noise" according to them

They need a "new" car. Something that's nice and dedicated only to them.

BTW, I was also thinking of adding in the i20 Asta to the equation. You think comparing the i20 to the Brio is fair?
i20 is good but its not really comparable to the drivability that the Brio offers. Its peppy and fun to drive. You cant go wrong in a Brio AT i guess! i20 is no slouch but i feel the Brio is a bit better to drive. i20 is better in other aspects i guess like boot space, not sure about Hyundai's servicing/servicing costs(some mentioned Hyundai's A.s.s is costly)

Quote:
I've narrowed it down to Brio, i20, Swift and Polo in that order.
I wouldnt go for the Polo. The petrol version is underpowered , costly A.S.S and VW's horror stories(currently there's one latest available in another thread) leaves a lot to be desired. Swift if you are willing to wait it out. So its basically i20 vs Brio if you ask me!

Last edited by shadows123 : 7th September 2012 at 15:09.
shadows123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 15:05   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
9thsphinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,042
Thanked: 441 Times
Default Re: Petrol Battle Royale: Figo vs Swift vs Jazz vs Brio vs i20 vs Liva vs Polo vs Pun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I agree with the two above. that the Brio AT will be the best option. I saw on one site that it is expected in October, according to motorbeam

http://networkedblogs.com/BPh9d
You'll be surprised, but they wouldn't want an AT, only because they're very used to MT's. Strange but true.

I did give them an option of buying the i10 AT, but that idea was blatantly put off.

I've narrowed it down to Brio, i20, Swift and Polo in that order.
I think i'll just let them test drive and decide since they'll be doing all the driving. Best to keep it simple.
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 15:09   #40
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,702
Thanked: 3,893 Times
Default Re: Petrol Battle Royale: Figo vs Swift vs Jazz vs Brio vs i20 vs Liva vs Polo vs Pun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
I've narrowed it down to Brio, i20, Swift and Polo in that order.
I think i'll just let them test drive and decide since they'll be doing all the driving. Best to keep it simple.
Jazz would have been my first suggestion, but since you already have one I would recommend going with the Polo – looks and feels premium, and works well as a safe city car. The recent amends/price revisions make it even more attractive.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 15:12   #41
BHPian
 
DevilsCry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 557
Thanked: 503 Times
Default Re: Petrol Battle Royale: Figo vs Swift vs Jazz vs Brio vs i20 vs Liva vs Polo vs Pun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
BTW, I was also thinking of adding in the i20 Asta to the equation. You think comparing the i20 to the Brio is fair?
Why not though they are quite different cars.

Comparison-
1. i20 Asta feels like a 15 lac car to sit in and drive around. Brio feels strictly a budget car.
2. Refinement and silence in cabin in i20 is far ahead of Brio.
3. Ease in driving in traffic in Fluidic i20 is better than Brio due to more powerful torque at low RPM (like your Santro is easier to drive than Jazz).
4. Asta is the model to kill for! Loads of gadgets and sunroof! Brio seems as poor as an 800 compared to it.
5. Mileage in i20 will be in single digit only. No need to tell about Brio's mileage.
6. i20 is far more comfier and luxurious to sit in compared to Brio.
7. Brio is overpriced by 1 lac. i20, yes, is overpriced too but there's no car to rival it.

The older i20 had several severe problems like poor pick-up, steering rattling and pathetic AC. Please check if these problems have been addressed in new i20 or not. If these problems are fixed then I would prefer i20.
DevilsCry is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 15:27   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
9thsphinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,042
Thanked: 441 Times
Default Re: Petrol Battle Royale: Figo vs Swift vs Jazz vs Brio vs i20 vs Liva vs Polo vs Pun

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Jazz would have been my first suggestion, but since you already have one I would recommend going with the Polo – looks and feels premium, and works well as a safe city car. The recent amends/price revisions make it even more attractive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsCry View Post
Why not though they are quite different cars.

Comparison-
1. i20 Asta feels like a 15 lac car to sit in and drive around. Brio feels strictly a budget car.
2. Refinement and silence in cabin in i20 is far ahead of Brio.
3. Ease in driving in traffic in Fluidic i20 is better than Brio due to more powerful torque at low RPM (like your Santro is easier to drive than Jazz).
4. Asta is the model to kill for! Loads of gadgets and sunroof! Brio seems as poor as an 800 compared to it.
5. Mileage in i20 will be in single digit only. No need to tell about Brio's mileage.
6. i20 is far more comfier and luxurious to sit in compared to Brio.
7. Brio is overpriced by 1 lac. i20, yes, is overpriced too but there's no car to rival it.

The older i20 had several severe problems like poor pick-up, steering rattling and pathetic AC. Please check if these problems have been addressed in new i20 or not. If these problems are fixed then I would prefer i20.
All these cars have their own pro's and cons I believe. This is exactly where I am confused. I really don't know what appeals to the ladies more and why. I guess they like the Brio because it's cute and they might like the i20 because it's feature-rich. They might like the Polo for it's bright red color, and might like the Swift, because it's a no-nonsense car and easy to maintain. And then they all have their faults!

Like, I said I'll let them TD all the four cars for them to decide. But I think I know what they're going to pick

Thanks guys.

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 7th September 2012 at 15:30.
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2012, 18:52   #43
BHPian
 
Jazzper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 67
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Petrol Battle Royale: Figo vs Swift vs Jazz vs Brio vs i20 vs Liva vs Polo vs Pun

Devilscry, I have become fan of your's after going through this thread, Amazing write up, i could gather many points about my car aswell. You can simply copy paste this stuff with all the cool and amazing pictures, and make a book out of it and trust me it will sell like hot cake!
BTW i saw somewhere about jazz doing 20-80 in third gear at more than 15 seconds. I ask why 3rd gear? Jazz is all about its 2nd gear, believe me if you use 1st and 2nd gears properly then you can easily hit 80 in around 10seconds for sure!

Thanks
Ekz
Jazzper is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 21:06   #44
BHPian
 
DevilsCry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 557
Thanked: 503 Times
Default Re: Petrol Battle Royale: Figo vs Swift vs Jazz vs Brio vs i20 vs Liva vs Polo vs Pun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzper View Post
I ask why 3rd gear? Jazz is all about its 2nd gear, believe me if you use 1st and 2nd gears properly then you can easily hit 80 in around 10seconds for sure!
Thanks buddy

Other cars are also best accelerating in 2nd gear as well

The reason for choosing 3rd gear is to determine overall performance and ability of a car. This is also why magazines also publish 30-80kph time in 3rd gear for all cars. So that a car can't get away with title of being fastest car by having specific gear ratio for 0-100kph acceleration but with poor performance otherwise.
DevilsCry is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 08:55   #45
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 138
Thanked: 124 Times
Post Re: Petrol Battle Royale: Figo vs Swift vs Jazz vs Brio vs i20 vs Liva vs Polo vs Pun

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
You'll be surprised, but they wouldn't want an AT, only because they're very used to MT's. Strange but true.

I did give them an option of buying the i10 AT, but that idea was blatantly put off.

I've narrowed it down to Brio, i20, Swift and Polo in that order.
I think i'll just let them test drive and decide since they'll be doing all the driving. Best to keep it simple.
I am at the same juncture - buying a car for the wife and had narrowed it down to the Jazz, Swift, Polo and i20.

Dropped the Jazz because of Honda's problems and long term commitment (discontinuing the Civic, long waiting times for spares).

Dropped the Swift because she did not like the ride or the interiors - she feels it is too downmarket

Read about the new Polo pricing and went to the showroom yesterday to check and had a horrible sales experience. On the other hand, the Hyundai showroom experience was sublime. Plus the i20 is so ridiculously loaded that it would put everything south of the Passat to shame.

Considering that 90% of the driving for the missus is going to be kids school, market, etc. and at speeds below 60 kmph am finalising the i20 Asta. Getting a good deal as well
car.lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crash Safety - Are Figo, Eon, Etios, Liva & Brio Safe Enough? smartcat The Indian Car Scene 76 7th February 2016 13:02
Executive Hatch- Polo petrol 1.2 Trendline * i20 1.2 Era * Swift Lxi * Figo TDCi EXI gkoneti Hatchbacks 125 27th December 2010 13:51
Ford Figo TDCi v/s Hyundai i20 CRDi v/s Hyundai i20 1.2 v/s Honda Jazz lamborghini Hatchbacks 24 18th December 2010 15:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks